Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/5/2018  9:47 PM
blkexec wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
franco12 wrote:
Paris907 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:There are a few FA's out there I would like but I'm afraid signing them will give us to many wins. Next year has to be a tank year, so I'm almost hoping he doesn't opt out so we can get into the top 5.

Tanking again sounds cruel. Depending on how KP comes back, i can See one of several scenarios:

1/. We get lucky finally and draft top 3. Doncic, Ayton, Jackson, Bagley
2/. We don’t get as lucky: Mikel or W Carter or Sexton.

Likely: Noah stretched. We pick up a FA

KP
Carter
Frank
Burke
THJr

Beas
THJr
FA
———/-/—

Kanter gone, OQuinn gone, Thomas ?

tanking again may sound cruel, but be honest with yourself- what is our record likely to be next year? Hopefully we draft a good player who is like Frank and a few years away from potential. Even if KP is health day 1, he is still a year or two away from being able to sustain his performance for a full season.

Add that all up, we are at least 2-3 years away from being half way decent.

If Kanter opts out, I'm going to keep as much of that cap room open. KP has a big payday coming up (not happy about that) and I want to be opportunistic like the Nets where I can absorb a contract and get a talent/draft pick in the process.

I don't stretch Noah now. I invite him back after JH is likely gone this summer.

He gives me tank minutes at center.

Then, I look at cutting him or trading him in the summer of 2019. And then that year I think you look at adding a FA piece or two.

tanking to me is when management tries to set everything up to fail from the get go. I don't think bringing in THJ and Kanter and trading picks for a lotto pick (albeit a bad one) qualifies as tanking.

No one is going to want to come here next year. the team should be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse and I doubt management will even try all that much. next year will be tankerific

then mills will throw THJ money at some 3rd tier FA because Like phil, he will have no choice.

5 centers 3 months ago, and now we basically have none.

Tank(as if we have the best scouting dept in the NBA) so we can lose another 50 for the 5th consecutive season, how attractive is this destination again.

That's my problem with tanking in NY. When you tank, you have to have a decent scouting staff. Right now, we have looked like the Cleveland Browns. And right now and in the past, they have problems convincing good QBs to come to there team. We have the same problem with Coaches or FA's.....And it comes down to scouting good players, and player development. We are weak in both areas, but improving in the scouting department (I think). Terrible place for qualified coaches. The knicks are great at killing a coaches career. So I agree, this is a terrible destination for anybody. But so far, Perry seems to be the right guy to change that. It will take time to remove that stink from the past.

Carter appears to be a good pickup, with Kanter leaving and Burke arriving. Our first pick needs to be either Carter or Bridges. Depends on who will impact the most and who fills the biggest need. I thought it was center b4 the news on Kanter possibly leaving. So you know how I feel now.

I will do some research on both these guys and see if they are worth passing on Young, SGA, Sexton, Knox, etc.....

Would be great to have both, but if you had to choose one, which one? Bridges(SF) or Carter(C)....If this small ball system, I would lean towards Carter who's a freshmen, with loads of potential and a higher ceiling. Bridges seems to be stuck in his current skill set and comfortable in a system role. Both have high potential and I wish we could have both.....

Young, Bridges, Carter

Not sure how Perry would go PG now, with two glaring holes to fill at SF and C

Perry hasn't shown he can do anything but answer to mills, the roster is awful, he hasn't made any good trades to move the needle.

The only thing I will give him credit for is burke, terrible job at not instructing JH to start him. Did you know the average age of a NBA player is 26.5 and we tried to start a 19 yr old who has zero NBA experience.

I hate the way the knicks are developing Frank

ES
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
4/6/2018  6:21 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
franco12 wrote:
Paris907 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:There are a few FA's out there I would like but I'm afraid signing them will give us to many wins. Next year has to be a tank year, so I'm almost hoping he doesn't opt out so we can get into the top 5.

Tanking again sounds cruel. Depending on how KP comes back, i can See one of several scenarios:

KP
Carter
Frank
Burke
THJr

Beas
THJr
FA
———/-/—

tanking again may sound cruel, but be honest with yourself- what is our record likely to be next year? Hopefully we draft a good player who is like Frank and a few years away from potential. Even if KP is health day 1, he is still a year or two away from being able to sustain his performance for a full season.

If Kanter opts out, I'm going to keep as much of that cap room open. KP has a big payday coming up (not happy about that) and I want to be opportunistic like the Nets where I can absorb a contract and get a talent/draft pick in the process.

I don't stretch Noah now. I invite him back after JH is likely gone this summer.

Then, I look at cutting him or trading him in the summer of 2019. And then that year I think you look at adding a FA piece or two.

tanking to me is when management tries to set everything up to fail from the get go. I don't think bringing in THJ and Kanter and trading picks for a lotto pick (albeit a bad one) qualifies as tanking.

No one is going to want to come here next year. the team should be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse and I doubt management will even try all that much. next year will be tankerific

then mills will throw THJ money at some 3rd tier FA because Like phil, he will have no choice.

Tank(as if we have the best scouting dept in the NBA) so we can lose another 50 for the 5th consecutive season, how attractive is this destination again.

That's my problem with tanking in NY. When you tank, you have to have a decent scouting staff. Right now, we have looked like the Cleveland Browns. And right now and in the past, they have problems convincing good QBs to come to there team. We have the same problem with Coaches or FA's.....And it comes down to scouting good players, and player development. We are weak in both areas, but improving in the scouting department (I think). Terrible place for qualified coaches. The knicks are great at killing a coaches career. So I agree, this is a terrible destination for anybody. But so far, Perry seems to be the right guy to change that. It will take time to remove that stink from the past.

Carter appears to be a good pickup, with Kanter leaving and Burke arriving. Our first pick needs to be either Carter or Bridges. Depends on who will impact the most and who fills the biggest need. I thought it was center b4 the news on Kanter possibly leaving. So you know how I feel now.

I will do some research on both these guys and see if they are worth passing on Young, SGA, Sexton, Knox, etc.....

Would be great to have both, but if you had to choose one, which one? Bridges(SF) or Carter(C)....If this small ball system, I would lean towards Carter who's a freshmen, with loads of potential and a higher ceiling. Bridges seems to be stuck in his current skill set and comfortable in a system role. Both have high potential and I wish we could have both.....

Young, Bridges, Carter

Perry hasn't shown he can do anything but answer to mills, the roster is awful, he hasn't made any good trades to move the needle.

The only thing I will give him credit for is burke, terrible job at not instructing JH to start him. Did you know the average age of a NBA player is 26.5 and we tried to start a 19 yr old who has zero NBA experience.

Are we developing Frank or sabotaging Phills legacy? Phill came into Gothan City, stole Dolans money, then took off into the sunset. When you in a billion dollar industry, who really has the power? You think Perry came in and just took over every single decision to be made? You can't pin point anything on a single person, unless you talking about the coach, but even he has a staff. I don't blame Perry for Franks development. Thats on the coaching staff and Phills scouting team. Do we really know or can we confirm that Dolan really quiet playing his gutar or is he giving them silent directions. We don't know....If you know, please share the facts. Otherwise, opinions are just opinions. Fun to discuss, holds no weight.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
VCoug
Member: #1406

4/6/2018  1:29 PM
I would love if for some reason Kanter opted out of his deal but there's nothing in the article that actually points to that, Berman just mentions that he as an option. I can't imagine that he would opt out but if he did we should target Hezonja and Van Vleet, both young and unrestricted.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/6/2018  4:30 PM
blkexec wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
franco12 wrote:
Paris907 wrote:

KP
Carter
Frank
Burke
THJr

Beas
THJr
FA
———/-/—

Young, Bridges, Carter

Are we developing Frank or sabotaging Phills legacy? Phill came into Gothan City, stole Dolans money, then took off into the sunset. When you in a billion dollar industry, who really has the power? You think Perry came in and just took over every single decision to be made? You can't pin point anything on a single person, unless you talking about the coach, but even he has a staff. I don't blame Perry for Franks development. Thats on the coaching staff and Phills scouting team. Do we really know or can we confirm that Dolan really quiet playing his gutar or is he giving them silent directions. We don't know....If you know, please share the facts. Otherwise, opinions are just opinions. Fun to discuss, holds no weight.

Opinions are like *******s. Everyone has one.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

4/6/2018  4:55 PM
Nalod wrote:
blkexec wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
franco12 wrote:
Paris907 wrote:

KP
Carter
Frank
Burke
THJr

Beas
THJr
FA
———/-/—

Young, Bridges, Carter

Opinions are like *******s. Everyone has one.

except for knicks1248, hence it's coming out from somewhere else :)
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/9/2018  8:36 AM
Won't that be great. We traded McBuckets for a waste of time in Mudiay and now Kanter, who is completely allergic to D of any kind but is a tough guy everywhere else, is possibly going to opt out. Oh wait! We have KOQ and Stretch Noah! And don't forget those two sleeping 2nd rounders we got for Willy the Bench!

Now people are almost gleefully planning tank seasons even before the current tank season is even over.

I hate you Phil Jackson!

wargames
Member: #6053

4/9/2018  8:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/9/2018  8:49 AM
jrodmc wrote:Won't that be great. We traded McBuckets for a waste of time in Mudiay and now Kanter, who is completely allergic to D of any kind but is a tough guy everywhere else, is possibly going to opt out. Oh wait! We have KOQ and Stretch Noah! And don't forget those two sleeping 2nd rounders we got for Willy the Bench!

Now people are almost gleefully planning tank seasons even before the current tank season is even over.

I hate you Phil Jackson!

We could sign KOQ for like 8 mil using the nontaxpayer MLE is Kanter opts out after spending about 17 mil on a FA if we waive/stretch Lance.

Like if Kanter opts out we could have a much better roster in 2 years.

The best thing that could happen is Kanter Opts out and the Knicks FO stretch most of Phil's people to bring in better talent. It would give them a chance to keep KOQ, have about 17 mil in cap space this year, and then have about 25-27 mil next year in Cap space in 2019. 2019 being the year they have to pay KP and likely lock in cap space for 2 years until Timmy comes off the books.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/9/2018  8:51 AM
why is everyone in such a hurry to get rid of Kanter?

I get that he doesn't play strong defense, but he does rebound well and he is both mentally and physically tough. He has not wilted in the bright lights of NYC and we've seen more talented stars do exactly that.

If he leaves, and we get nothing for him, then I think we lost out on an opportunity. I have to imagine we could have traded him at the deadline and gotten something.

He did play a role in our early season success, and seemed to fit well with KP.

The ultimate question is money. Somehow $17m is too much. If I am Perry, I'd offer him 5 years at $12m per. He might get more elsewhere, and maybe that is too much for a player of his talents/flaws.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/9/2018  10:41 AM
franco12 wrote:why is everyone in such a hurry to get rid of Kanter?

I get that he doesn't play strong defense, but he does rebound well and he is both mentally and physically tough. He has not wilted in the bright lights of NYC and we've seen more talented stars do exactly that.

If he leaves, and we get nothing for him, then I think we lost out on an opportunity. I have to imagine we could have traded him at the deadline and gotten something.

The ultimate question is money. Somehow $17m is too much. If I am Perry, I'd offer him 5 years at $12m per. He might get more elsewhere, and maybe that is too much for a player of his talents/flaws.

For me you are arguing in a vacuum. Knicks are building a playoff team (I hope). Do you see Kanter as a starter or bench player on a playoff team?

No way is he a starter, so bench. You willing to spend $$$ on a bench player and eat up cap space that could otherwise be spent on someone who could start?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/9/2018  10:42 AM

Kanter opts out and you somehow resign KOQ, his cap hold would negate your cap space for free agents.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

4/9/2018  11:22 AM
As always....Berman should stick to things he knows best about. Like, what soda goes best with Chinese food. Best city donut joints. Alopecia. And how to get out of going to the gym.

Kanter is not going anywhere. Maybe Berman should name the team that will offer him more than $20M.

I actually think that the Knicks will be interested in him long term. Hopefully, not every move they make is about tanking. Kid is a walking double double. Pretty young and seems like a very good team mate. Hope he agrees to a reasonable deal with the Knicks. If not, think he opts in and the Knicks use him as trade bait next year.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/9/2018  11:49 AM
martin wrote:

For me you are arguing in a vacuum. Knicks are building a playoff team (I hope). Do you see Kanter as a starter or bench player on a playoff team?

No way is he a starter, so bench. You willing to spend $$$ on a bench player and eat up cap space that could otherwise be spent on someone who could start?

Kanter's problem isnt starting, its finishing. Kanter often keeps the Knicks from getting blown out early with his fast starts. The effort is there, just doesnt have the lateral mobility to get after the ball like some of his peers. Few can score and rebound at the rate Kanter does however.

If we were to add a big who was more of a defensive specialist, we would have the best of both worlds to throw at other teams, late in the game. Depending on who we face.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/9/2018  12:01 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Kanter's problem isnt starting, its finishing. Kanter often keeps the Knicks from getting blown out early with his fast starts. The effort is there, just doesnt have the lateral mobility to get after the ball like some of his peers. Few can score and rebound at the rate Kanter does however.

If we were to add a big who was more of a defensive specialist, we would have the best of both worlds to throw at other teams, late in the game. Depending on who we face.

Noah?

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/9/2018  12:50 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:As always....Berman should stick to things he knows best about. Like, what soda goes best with Chinese food. Best city donut joints. Alopecia. And how to get out of going to the gym.

Kanter is not going anywhere. Maybe Berman should name the team that will offer him more than $20M.

I actually think that the Knicks will be interested in him long term. Hopefully, not every move they make is about tanking. Kid is a walking double double. Pretty young and seems like a very good team mate. Hope he agrees to a reasonable deal with the Knicks. If not, think he opts in and the Knicks use him as trade bait next year.

I think the bold is the best bet. Knicks still have Lance/Lee/Noah signed for 2 more years. Ideally Kanter plays well and we can trade him and get an asset back. Maybe we take back a contract with an extra year for some team looking to expand their cap space. So long as we get an asset or building block back it makes the most sense. You have to look a couple years ahead but that would be the best plan.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/9/2018  12:52 PM
martin wrote:

you add Lebron to our roster next year on a vet min deal, and we're a play off team and Kanter is the starter.

I know we're not signing Lebron - but my point is Kanter isn't really the problem, its the general lack of talent all across the roster. We have a lot of nice pieces that do some of the things you need to win. But you can only play five at a time, and our best five aren't good enough.

How different would things look if we had drafted Donovan Mitchell instead of Frank? I'm not saying we'd be in the play offs, but I think we'd be looking at our roster very differently.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

4/9/2018  1:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/9/2018  1:08 PM
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:As always....Berman should stick to things he knows best about. Like, what soda goes best with Chinese food. Best city donut joints. Alopecia. And how to get out of going to the gym.

I think the bold is the best bet. Knicks still have Lance/Lee/Noah signed for 2 more years. Ideally Kanter plays well and we can trade him and get an asset back. Maybe we take back a contract with an extra year for some team looking to expand their cap space. So long as we get an asset or building block back it makes the most sense. You have to look a couple years ahead but that would be the best plan.

True. With KP out till January (Alledgedly). It seems like the best plan will be to tank next year. Either intentional or not. Another year as a desperate Knick fan. Still tough not keeping a guy that is that young and a good producer because it does not fit the timeline exactly. But nothing new in Knick land. If he does get traded, hopefully its not just for a 2nd round draft pick or another expiring.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/9/2018  2:28 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:

True. With KP out till January (Alledgedly). It seems like the best plan will be to tank next year. Either intentional or not. Another year as a desperate Knick fan. Still tough not keeping a guy that is that young and a good producer because it does not fit the timeline exactly. But nothing new in Knick land. If he does get traded, hopefully its not just for a 2nd round draft pick or another expiring.

I think the reason they dont keep Kanter is because of his cost and his terrible defense, not his timeline.

This is telling:
http://www.82games.com/1718/17NYK21.HTM

Look at what opposing players do vs. Kanter starting with their EFG. I mean when Enes is defending you the plan is go there every time.

We have seen Kanter for a year. We have seen the good and the bad. The good is he plays hard and is a monster on the glass. The bad is he cant and doesnt stop anyone. Ever. Same old Knicks would maxing him out because that's what you do. Smart new Knicks would wait and see and either move him for something that makes sense or to a new deal that also makes sense. Kanter for 4/100mm doesnt make sense. I like him, but he doesnt move the needle enough to break the bank for. Hopefully we dont lose a valuable player for nothing but I prefer that to overpaying and locking up our roster.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/9/2018  2:39 PM
My starting point is a question I can't answer:
What is the market value for Kanter and KOQ and if neither is starter material then what is their value for us?
awe1028
Member: #2780

4/9/2018  4:25 PM

Precisely. Kanter brings a lot of qualities that are difficult to find. Certainly difficult to find on the Knicks. He is an ELITE rebonder he is an ELITE low post player. Both of these skills are very important.

People argue he is not a great rim protector. Well KP protects the rim at an elite level so that compensates for that weakness. Kanter in turn compensates for KP being a weak rebounder.

People say Kanter a poor defender. Well you compensate for that by continuing to build the defense. We are well on the way there with KP Frank and Mikal Briges?

This is how you build a winning team when you don't have Lebron or a Steph or a Harden. You get players who complement and compensate for each others weaknesses.

One more point about Kanter. As mentioned above Kanter is quite possibly the best low post player in the NBA. Low post presence means it is difficult for the offense to be stagnant because you get high percentage shots (Kanter hits on 65% of his shots)How does a team like Golden State handle a player like Kanter on the low post. IMHO this become a huge advantage as the Knicks grow into contender status.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
4/9/2018  9:22 PM
franco12 wrote:
martin wrote:

you add Lebron to our roster next year on a vet min deal, and we're a play off team and Kanter is the starter.

I know we're not signing Lebron - but my point is Kanter isn't really the problem, its the general lack of talent all across the roster. We have a lot of nice pieces that do some of the things you need to win. But you can only play five at a time, and our best five aren't good enough.

How different would things look if we had drafted Donovan Mitchell instead of Frank? I'm not saying we'd be in the play offs, but I think we'd be looking at our roster very differently.

Franco I humbly disagree. His defense remains an atrocity. KP coming off surgery needs a two way 5 with a jump shot. Someone that Embiid and KAT wont have for lunch.

Kanter likely a goner per Marc Berman

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy