[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Stan Speaks.
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/1/2018  12:55 AM
https://nypost.com/2018/03/31/stan-van-gundys-message-my-brothers-open-to-coaching-again/

No other NBA team offered Ewing a head coaching job. We offered him Gleague. He shot it down.
Ain’t no reason to interview him if he don’t get the gig.
Jeff’s rise to fame is in part the knicks faith and not sure he has been not all that gracious himself.
I like coach Jeff. Broadcaster Jeff is very good until he sometimes creates some fake ass controversy to make some interest.
Not sure why Stan bringing this gripe to the media.
Jeff to return to the knicks? He has not coached in 10 years, has no relationship with people running the knicks except Dolan, who likely is not all that enameled with the guy that quit on him.

AUTOADVERT
Mike1989
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8627

4/1/2018  8:22 AM
It would be like taking a page out of the Oakland Raiders book. They brought back Jon Gruden after nearly a decade away from the sidelines. I'm not sure how that will work out for the Raiders win-loss wise, but the move itself has brought a lot of excitement and hype back to the team.

Would bringing back Jeff Van Gundy do the same for us?

I think it could because he's still held in decent regard by the fans I know. His track record with us was pretty good, okay we didn't win a title, but that can happen. Obviously the negative is he's been away from the sideline for a long time and perhaps the current style of play does not really fit with the style he ran with us and the Rockets, but he's been in the booth for long enough to know what works and doesn't work in today's NBA. He's a smart guy and a good coach, so I don't see him being the type of guy to return to the sideline and be stuck in his ways and wanting to run a team like it is 1998 (i.e. like Gruden is trying to do with the Raiders). I suspect he would make the necessary adjustments to account for today's NBA. Plus, who's to say you can't be successful in today's NBA by going against the grain? Put the right players on the court and maybe we could grind our way back to the play offs.

With that said, I am not sure who I want to be the next Knicks head coach. I just want the next Knicks head coach to be someone we can stick with long term because swapping and changing doesn't do anyone any good.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/1/2018  10:20 AM
Gruden won a Super Bowl and is/was charismatic. JVG was about to get fire but took team to improbable finals in strike short season that even he could not slow down!
He got a two year extension automatically kicked in. Irony was one of Grunfeld or JVG had to go as they were at odds.
THat aside JVG was a very good coach but was he ever elite? HE might be attractive because he long for the “good old days”? Hs tenure with the rockets was snake bit by injuries.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/1/2018  10:36 AM
Nalod wrote:https://nypost.com/2018/03/31/stan-van-gundys-message-my-brothers-open-to-coaching-again/

No other NBA team offered Ewing a head coaching job. We offered him Gleague. He shot it down.
Ain’t no reason to interview him if he don’t get the gig.
Jeff’s rise to fame is in part the knicks faith and not sure he has been not all that gracious himself.
I like coach Jeff. Broadcaster Jeff is very good until he sometimes creates some fake ass controversy to make some interest.
Not sure why Stan bringing this gripe to the media.
Jeff to return to the knicks? He has not coached in 10 years, has no relationship with people running the knicks except Dolan, who likely is not all that enameled with the guy that quit on him.

I am pretty sure Stan was asked about his brother. Stan was always loyal to Patrick and advocated for him to get a head job for years. In my opinion, Patrick was a lot more deserving than Derek Fisher but I also always thought it wouldn't end well with Pat (or anybody else). Why go there? Look at the Nets with Jason Kidd. Hiring your former franchise superstar as a head coach does not work out well for teams.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Mike1989
Member: #8627

4/1/2018  12:03 PM
Nalod wrote:Gruden won a Super Bowl and is/was charismatic. JVG was about to get fire but took team to improbable finals in strike short season that even he could not slow down!
He got a two year extension automatically kicked in. Irony was one of Grunfeld or JVG had to go as they were at odds.
THat aside JVG was a very good coach but was he ever elite? HE might be attractive because he long for the “good old days”? Hs tenure with the rockets was snake bit by injuries.

Gruden did win a Super Bowl on the back of Tony Dungy's work in Tampa. After that season, Gruden never matched the same heights his win-loss record was 45-51 and only made the play offs twice and got beat in the wild card round. The guy was charismatic and an offensive guru, but there is debate over how much he benefited from the foundation that Tony Dungy set in Tampa. Anyway that's another thing entirely!

I'm not sure I would class JVG as an elite coach, but he was a very good head coach and that can be enough if he knows how to get this team back on track towards being a play off team and potentially a contender. For me, he is a decent option if we are going for a retread NBA head coach, but our front office should be open minded when making the hire and consider all options. If they make the right hire they need to stick with them and be patient and let them build this team, otherwise we'll be looking for a new head coach in a couple of seasons time again.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/1/2018  12:36 PM
Mike1989 wrote:
Nalod wrote:Gruden won a Super Bowl and is/was charismatic. JVG was about to get fire but took team to improbable finals in strike short season that even he could not slow down!

Gruden did win a Super Bowl on the back of Tony Dungy's work in Tampa. After that season, Gruden never matched the same heights his win-loss record was 45-51 and only made the play offs twice and got beat in the wild card round. The guy was charismatic and an offensive guru, but there is debate over how much he benefited from the foundation that Tony Dungy set in Tampa. Anyway that's another thing entirely!

I'm not sure I would class JVG as an elite coach, but he was a very good head coach and that can be enough if he knows how to get this team back on track towards being a play off team and potentially a contender. For me, he is a decent option if we are going for a retread NBA head coach, but our front office should be open minded when making the hire and consider all options. If they make the right hire they need to stick with them and be patient and let them build this team, otherwise we'll be looking for a new head coach in a couple of seasons time again.

He was good enough to push the Bucs over the top. Look up how many pts the Bucs scored under Dungy in the playoffs the last 3 years. He was too conservative. Gruden took more chances. People also forget that the second half of the season, Brad Johnson outplayed the eventual MVP, Gannon. Doubt that would have happened with Dungy's offense. Bucs also got Simeon Rice which made an already elite D one of the best ever.

Having said that, no way they get there without the foundation that Dungy laid. RJS stadium would not have been built, even the pewter uniform, from the orange creamsicle.

Gruden, after the Super Bowl, instead of retooling with younger players, brought in retreads who couldnt stay healthy. Got more conservative on offense, in spite of the huge plastic card he carried with him during games. He wasnt known as a developer of talent, which is ironic considering his former TV show on ESPN.

Nalod, Im not so sure Gruden is going to make it this time. He has openly rejected any advancement in the game, including advanced stats. Marginalizing them because your way is working is one thing, but coming back to the league after all these years, and not using all the tools at your disposal, doesnt sound like a recipe for success.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
4/1/2018  2:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/1/2018  2:03 PM
I saw Red coach the Knicks and Hubie and JVG and so many others. Stan mkes a good point. His brother was an outstanding Knick coach and he’s as good as any of the candidates in the mix now. I’d sign him up. Defensively oriented, competitive, solid X and Os and related well to his players. He went to the Matts for them. Ask the Heat if you don’t remember.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/1/2018  2:33 PM
JVG was no offensive genius but his defense was amazing and players like KP and Frank would definitely take the next step in their defensive evolution with JVG guiding them. It would be a solid move for the Knicks to bring JVG back.
Stan Speaks.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy