[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Favorite NYC Based films
Author Thread
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

3/29/2018  12:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/29/2018  12:31 PM
I was originally gonna make a thread about classic movies or cult films that are severely underrated. But talking to Gustavbahler he suggested New York films since we are knick fans and most live in New York. Feel free to list any NY film whether its well known or not.
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/29/2018  12:43 PM
Cops and Robbers. Unfortunately a lot of this film was edited out of both the dvd and BD. They even show a scene on the back cover that isnt in the film, but its still has some great location shooting. Central Park, Wall Street, and a really cool indoor bowling alley, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VHAGBG4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522341430&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=cops+and+robbers+blu+ray

StarksEwing1

3/29/2018  12:46 PM
State of Grace. Awesome but criminally underrated film based on The Westies. Sean Penn gary oldman ed harris and even burgess meredith
GustavBahler

3/29/2018  1:10 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:State of Grace. Awesome but criminally underrated film based on The Westies. Sean Penn gary oldman ed harris and even burgess meredith

LMAO! When I lived in NYC, I sometimes used to jog along the park at night on 5th ave. One night Im heading back to my apt, and I see a film crew on Park ave, shooting a film. I walk south and cross the street so Im behind them, thinking Im far enough back

Next thing I know, I see tbe DP in the distance shouting and cursing. Sean Penn and Robin Wright turn around to see who was in the shot. It was me, lol. And you guessed it, the film was "State of Grace". I laugh every time I see that scene in the movie. Good film.

StarksEwing1

3/29/2018  1:16 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:State of Grace. Awesome but criminally underrated film based on The Westies. Sean Penn gary oldman ed harris and even burgess meredith

LMAO! When I lived in NYC, I sometimes used to jog along the park at night on 5th ave. One night Im heading back to my apt, and I see a film crew on Park ave, shooting a film. I walk south and cross the street so Im behind them, thinking Im far enough back

Next thing I know, I see tbe DP in the distance shouting and cursing. Sean Penn and Robin Wright turn around to see who was in the shot. It was me, lol. And you guessed it, the film was "State of Grace". I laugh every time I see that scene in the movie. Good film.

cool. Gary Oldman was awesome in that. Taxi Driver might be my favorite NY film but State of Grace is my most underrated
GustavBahler

3/29/2018  1:32 PM
One more for today Three Sidney Lumet films. Prince of the City, Bye Bye Braverman, and The Pawnbroker. Loved how Lumet got NY actors, stage actors in his films. He knew how to capture the city on film, and these films showed his range as a storyteller.

Saw Prince of the City in the theater, one of those film you leave drained, in a good way.. THe shot of tbe old South Street Seaport is priceless.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
3/30/2018  12:37 AM
Would you consider Leon:The Professional as a nyc film? Love that movie
StarksEwing1

3/30/2018  11:15 AM
NYKBocker wrote:Would you consider Leon:The Professional as a nyc film? Love that movie
good movie. Directors cut is the best version
GustavBahler

3/30/2018  4:13 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Would you consider Leon:The Professional as a nyc film? Love that movie

Of course. Liked it as well. Natalie Portman was talking about a sequel a few years back.

GustavBahler

3/30/2018  4:18 PM
Above the Rim -One of my favorite BBall films.
StarksEwing1

3/31/2018  8:21 AM
GustavBahler wrote:One more for today Three Sidney Lumet films. Prince of the City, Bye Bye Braverman, and The Pawnbroker. Loved how Lumet got NY actors, stage actors in his films. He knew how to capture the city on film, and these films showed his range as a storyteller.

Saw Prince of the City in the theater, one of those film you leave drained, in a good way.. THe shot of tbe old South Street Seaport is priceless.

Q and A is another good lumet film about corruption
GustavBahler

3/31/2018  10:43 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:One more for today Three Sidney Lumet films. Prince of the City, Bye Bye Braverman, and The Pawnbroker. Loved how Lumet got NY actors, stage actors in his films. He knew how to capture the city on film, and these films showed his range as a storyteller.

Nick Nolte was a psycho, lol. Dog Day Afternoon as well, great location shooting. Did have one problem with the film though.

(Spoilers)

Read this article in the times many years later how in real life the bankrobber Al Pacino played in the movie really didnt sell out his partner (John Cazale) and he was watching the movie in prison with other inmates and they didnt take to kindly to mistakenly hearing he was a rat. Dont know why the writer changed that. Great film, wish they got that part right.

StarksEwing1

3/31/2018  11:43 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Nick Nolte was a psycho, lol. Dog Day Afternoon as well, great location shooting. Did have one problem with the film though.

(Spoilers)

Read this article in the times many years later how in real life the bankrobber Al Pacino played in the movie really didnt sell out his partner (John Cazale) and he was watching the movie in prison with other inmates and they didnt take to kindly to mistakenly hearing he was a rat. Dont know why the writer changed that. Great film, wish they got that part right.

Yeah i think i read a similar article about the case. Obviously Serpico is Another great Pacino/lumet film
GustavBahler

3/31/2018  2:51 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

(Spoilers)

Yeah i think i read a similar article about the case. Obviously Serpico is Another great Pacino/lumet film

Yup, got it on DVD and BD. Could do a whole thread on Lumet films.

StarksEwing1

3/31/2018  3:45 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

(Spoilers)

Yup, got it on DVD and BD. Could do a whole thread on Lumet films.

very true. One last one is Before the devil knows youre dead. My teenage crush Marisa Tomei is beautiful in that
GustavBahler

3/31/2018  6:09 PM
New York Stories (3 short films) The first one by Scorcese "Life Lessons" not a lot of shooting outdoors but it really caught the 80s in NY. On a side note the paintings were done by a guy named Chuck Connelly. They're amazing. He dissed the film which was loosely based on him, which tanked his career. They made this fascinating documentary about him worth checking out. Some really funny moments as well.

StarksEwing1

3/31/2018  6:17 PM
Speaking of scorsese After Hours is another one of his lesser known films that really brings out the weirdness of NYC at night
GustavBahler

3/31/2018  6:30 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Speaking of scorsese After Hours is another one of his lesser known films that really brings out the weirdness of NYC at night

Saw that in the theater, good choice. Whats really cool about this film is how it makes you feel like you want Griffin Dunne (whatever happened to him?) to get home as much as he did. Scorcese really puts you through the ringer in this film.

For those who havent seen it, if you've ever been stuck somewhsre in the city without a way home, this should register, well some if it. Funny movie

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/2/2018  1:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/2/2018  1:49 PM
I went through the list on Wikipedia from 1980 to present and came up with these movies as ones I've liked (I haven't seen many new movies over the past couple of years):

The Wolf of Wall St
The Dark Knight Rises
Black Swan
Bourne Ultimatum
American Gangster
Borat
Unfaithful
Panic Room
Gangs of New York (not really the NY we know)
Zoolander
Requiem for a Dream
Rounders
Spawn
The Devil's Advocate
Clockers
Diehard with a Vegence
The Basketball Diaries
Carlito's Way
A Bronx Tale
Scent of a Woman
Ghostbusters
When Harry Met Sally
Wall Street
Fatal Attraction
Highlander
Raging Bull
Staying Alive

I did omit movies like Boiler Room, which set on Long Island. I didn't know if I should cut films like A Bronx Tale, for example. I'd probably cut it just because people usually mean Manhattan when they say NYC, but technically...

For me, the best movie of the ones I listed was Scent of a Woman. I friggin love that movie

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
GustavBahler

4/2/2018  2:57 PM
"Fresh" Really good film from 96' about a kid in the city dealing with adult problems. Great cast, Giancarlo Esposito, and Samuel L Jackson. The kid in it is great. The cinematography is first rate. Same DP who worked on another great NY film, Midnight Cowboy.
Favorite NYC Based films

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy