[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sign Burke to that extension ASAP
Author Thread
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
3/27/2018  10:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/27/2018  10:49 AM
When is the last time the Knicks have had a point guard that could do what Burke does at the 0:47 mark in this vid? Marbury? Who has had handles like that?

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/27/2018  10:51 AM
franco12 wrote:before we get ahead of ourselves, let's see what he can do over the remainder of the season in the starting role, and then next year.

I'm worried he gets exposed a bit over the long haul. We've seen this before from guys - someone has to take shots and score points, even on a losing team.

We have? We have seen some scoring outburts but 42 points? 12 dimes and only 1 TO? And Burke was already shooting over 50% to start the game.. Not sure we have seen that.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/27/2018  10:54 AM

Trey Burke clearly was an Iverson fan. This video looks exactly like Trey Burkes game last night

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
anrst
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1054
USA
3/27/2018  10:57 AM
trey burke can get by anyone, go anywhere on the court, what a star.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/27/2018  10:57 AM
Just watched the replay, wow. More reason to sign Burke, but I still like him as a backup. A very good one. Would like to see the Knicks draft or find one more PG. Bring both Frank and Burke off the bench as a tandem next season. Believe we also need a PG who can post up, and better defend post ups by taller PGs. If Burke starts, a PG like that off the bench.

Walker's D needs work but I wouldnt mind Kemba as starting PG, and Burke off the bench. That would get us to the playoffs faster.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/27/2018  11:00 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Just watched the replay, wow. More reason to sign Burke, but I still like him as a backup. A very good one. Would like to see the Knicks draft or find one more PG. Bring both Frank and Burke off the bench as a tandem next season. Believe we also need a PG who can post up, and better defend post ups by taller PGs. If Burke starts, a PG like that off the bench.

Walker's D needs work but I wouldnt mind Kemba as starting PG, and Burke off the bench. That would get us to the playoffs faster.

yeah i think there are gonna be a lot of pgs available when we pick at around the 9 spot. Do you think burke/frank could start or just off the bench?
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/27/2018  11:00 AM
Panos wrote:When is the last time the Knicks have had a point guard that could do what Burke does at the 0:47 mark in this vid? Marbury? Who has had handles like that?

Even Breen said going to the g league playing 30 minutes a night working on your game is the right way to develop. That's how you can get better without compromising the NBA game.... I wish Frank went down there. He needs to work on so much. The Knicks definitely missed an opportunity here to really prepare Frank. He's really on his own in the off season. I can't wait till Summer league... that will so much.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/27/2018  11:03 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Just watched the replay, wow. More reason to sign Burke, but I still like him as a backup. A very good one. Would like to see the Knicks draft or find one more PG. Bring both Frank and Burke off the bench as a tandem next season. Believe we also need a PG who can post up, and better defend post ups by taller PGs. If Burke starts, a PG like that off the bench.

yeah i think there are gonna be a lot of pgs available when we pick at around the 9 spot. Do you think burke/frank could start or just off the bench?

I like them off the bench with Timmy starting at the 2. Next season, anyway

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/27/2018  11:04 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

I like them off the bench with Timmy starting at the 2. Next season, anyway

yeah i guess with timmy here there really is no room for both in the starting 5. Should be an interesting offseason
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/27/2018  11:05 AM
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:some PGs need time to put it all together. Billups comes to mind immediately. Hopefully that's the case with Burke. I, personally, am okay with paying him more by making him prove it over a longer period of time. He's under contract next season. I don't think there's any rush.
downside is he blows up next year, looks great running the offense and is surrounded by better defensive player and that year is a FA mess as there are a ton of players and teams with cap space. Some team could offer him 4/$80mm

Knicks have had a good long look at Burke. They saw his work ethic in the G league. They are seeing him here deal playing behind guys like Jack and Mudiay waiting for his turn. I would say he's conducting himself in a way that would make him look like a long term fit. I have liked him for awhile as a nice change of pace scorer off the bench. However Burke's shooting %s are off the charts. Those #s are in the Tony Parker/Steve Nash zone of incredibly efficient scoring PGs.

We will see how the FO handles it but trying to navigate how to manage talent is always a nice problem to have.

I don't disagree that there is a downside to waiting. That said, there is a downside to signing him quickly. It certainly is possible that gets his contract and stops playing hungry. And because he's only played great in a handful of games, now he's and overpaid undersized guard.

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
knicks1248
Member: #582
3/27/2018  11:57 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:some PGs need time to put it all together. Billups comes to mind immediately. Hopefully that's the case with Burke. I, personally, am okay with paying him more by making him prove it over a longer period of time. He's under contract next season. I don't think there's any rush.
downside is he blows up next year, looks great running the offense and is surrounded by better defensive player and that year is a FA mess as there are a ton of players and teams with cap space. Some team could offer him 4/$80mm

Knicks have had a good long look at Burke. They saw his work ethic in the G league. They are seeing him here deal playing behind guys like Jack and Mudiay waiting for his turn. I would say he's conducting himself in a way that would make him look like a long term fit. I have liked him for awhile as a nice change of pace scorer off the bench. However Burke's shooting %s are off the charts. Those #s are in the Tony Parker/Steve Nash zone of incredibly efficient scoring PGs.

We will see how the FO handles it but trying to navigate how to manage talent is always a nice problem to have.

I don't disagree that there is a downside to waiting. That said, there is a downside to signing him quickly. It certainly is possible that gets his contract and stops playing hungry. And because he's only played great in a handful of games, now he's and overpaid undersized guard.

You can say that about every athlete in a contract yr. But money is obviously not his #1 motivation, or he would have never went to the G league with at least 3 offers available prior.

ES
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/27/2018  11:58 AM
fishmike wrote:
franco12 wrote:before we get ahead of ourselves, let's see what he can do over the remainder of the season in the starting role, and then next year.

I'm worried he gets exposed a bit over the long haul. We've seen this before from guys - someone has to take shots and score points, even on a losing team.

We have? We have seen some scoring outburts but 42 points? 12 dimes and only 1 TO? And Burke was already shooting over 50% to start the game.. Not sure we have seen that.

2 turnovers

Lavor Postell, Landry Fields.

I'm not against keeping him. I think the FO waits the rest of the way. I don't want to have a Briggs type overreaction.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/27/2018  11:59 AM
Burke been to the NBA, had a real bad injury, then needed minutes. HE was not going to get the minutes on any NBA team he got in westchester.
Frank is getting minutes. NBA minutes. Now one can argue in HINDSIGHT he has not fulfilled ones individual expectations YET but lets not confuse the issue:
Burke was never going to get the minutes he got there in the NBA.
Kudo's to him and to the knicks for doing what they did.
Maybe one day in the not too distant future we can say "Frank's rookie season built a baseline for his defense, confidence he as a growing 19 year old can play meaningful minutes and was instrumental in his growth over the last X season(s)".
Today, we salute Burke!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/27/2018  12:31 PM
Panos wrote:When is the last time the Knicks have had a point guard that could do what Burke does at the 0:47 mark in this vid? Marbury? Who has had handles like that?

Walker's defense was pretty awful, guy gets smashed easy on picks. In not taking a thing away from burke. Charlotte does not have a "frank" to cover a hot pg.
This is what Made PIppin so great, he could guard thee positions. He'd cover the tough assignment, not Jordan.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/27/2018  12:52 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:

You can say that about every athlete in a contract yr. But money is obviously not his #1 motivation, or he would have never went to the G league with at least 3 offers available prior.

oh wise sage, what is his number one motivation? oh wise sage, how many good games should Trey play before signing him to a long term extension? oh prophet of uk.com, please enlighten us with your ramblings musings!

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
3/27/2018  1:03 PM
franco12 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

2 turnovers

Lavor Postell, Landry Fields.

I'm not against keeping him. I think the FO waits the rest of the way. I don't want to have a Briggs type overreaction.

Fields never scored over 30 pts in a game

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
3/27/2018  1:43 PM
I may be in the minority here - but I'm not crazy about Burke as a starting guard. Yes he looked offensively awesome last night - but don't like the Iverson approach as a PG. He dances around and creates for himself primarily. He can clearly pass but seems like he calls his number first. This may be just part of his developmental process and he's trying to establish himself as a player. We need a pass first guard that can also score and put pressure on the defense. Since he's better then anything we currently have - makes sense to be patient with him. I agree with the other posters that like him as a combo guard off the bench. How's he gonna fair against Westbrook and more physically imposing guards (he's not Curry) - can he defend? Let's be happy that between Frank and Burke - we may have found our 2 reserve guards :) Seriously - let's see how they develop after Burke develops further...
Uptown
Member: #1883

3/27/2018  1:56 PM

Disagree...I think Burke can start, perhaps not for a championship caliber team, but he's definitely a starter in this league. Darren Collinson is the starting pg for the #4 seed in the East; Burke can certainly start for a playoff team. Dont like the idea of Burke and Walker on the same team though, 2 smallish lead guards who may struggle vs bigger guards?

Uptown
Member: #1883

3/27/2018  2:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/27/2018  2:20 PM
Welcome to the new NBA....pure PG's are endangered if not extinct. This is a lead guard league where most take close to 20 shots per. Burke's mentality is similar to Lillard, Westbrook, Steph, Mitchell, Harden (played point last yr), Kyrie, Isaiah,Kemba etc....All of them have the ball on a string, flourish in the PNR, get into the paint looking shot first, if its not there, they drive and kick or dish to the baseline....

Its the way the league is now and Burke is showing and proving that he can flourish playing the same way...Burke is mos def a starting pg in this league and what stands out the most is that he takes the shots he wants not the shots the defense gives him. That is a SKILL/TALENT...His mid-range game is on point. Todays NBA is offensively driven, so you need a guy like this...A guy that can get his shot whenever, wherever...We better lock this kid up now because we aint getting this type of talent @ 9 in the draft.

knicks1248
Member: #582
3/27/2018  3:25 PM
Uptown wrote:

Disagree...I think Burke can start, perhaps not for a championship caliber team, but he's definitely a starter in this league. Darren Collinson is the starting pg for the #4 seed in the East; Burke can certainly start for a playoff team. Dont like the idea of Burke and Walker on the same team though, 2 smallish lead guards who may struggle vs bigger guards?

There are only really 2 contenders in the NBA, Houston and GSW, everybody else are playoff teams, and he definitely put up harden/curry/paul type #s last night, and it wasn't know fluke..

ES
Sign Burke to that extension ASAP

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy