Member: #298
USA
3/22/2018  11:42 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Vmart wrote:I don’t trust this front office. It was developmental year and only Ntlikina got time to develop and even then you could say he didn’t get enough time. Kuz and Willie get discarded. Dotson has basically amassed 316 minutes for the year which is basically the equivalent to 6 1/2 games. Where was the development of the players. This was such a wasted year nothing got done the way it’s supposed to for a development stand point. I’m watching the Miami game and Ntlikina isn’t even being used. The entire third quarter used on vets. How ridiculous are the Knicks. A lot you guys are singing praises but this has been the worst year than last simply because last year players young ones and home grown players were being used at a higher frequency.

The worst part of this year is losing KP and poor lottery position. Just an all around ridiculously dumb organization.

yep no idea what they are doing a truly inept organization. As long as Steve Mills is here we will go nowhere

I'm not understanding why some people don't get this. He sent 19 million a yr Noah away, and kept 3 million a yr JH around to coach a 3 and 22 record(in Noah's absence).

some of you are impress by the fact he kept draft picks and didn't trade every thing for Kyrie, or Bledsoe..

This entire season was dedicated to frank, and he's been far from impressive, I certainly wouldn't be surprise if Marks hired, Trae is drafted, and Frank is shipped for another pick.

Those 19 million dollars are from another regime. Noah acted like he was entitled to minutes, even though he was a total zero last season. Juiced, and spent more time in the offseason celebrating his retirement deal, than being prepared to compete. His last big contract.

Im sure Hornacek hasnt forgotten how it made things worse for the team, his first season in NY. Keeping Noah from adding more wear and tear is preferable at this point, than Noah getting hurt and Thibs passing on a possible deal with Minny down the road

As for Frank, hasnt started, his minutes consistently around 20 minutes. Frank has gotten some slack for his lack of aggressiveness, but Franks rookie year hasnt taken precedence over the rest of the team. Or Mudiay wouldnt be getting an extended look at starter, while Frank still comes off the bench. Not the end of the world for me if Hornacek finishes out his deal.

Wasn't Mills the GM when Noah was signed, funny how some now point to perry (the gm)when it comes to trades and signings now, but only point to phil when Mills was the GM..

so convenient to exclude Mills from anything associated with player movement (as the GM)under phil

Who else was permitted to play through their mistakes like frank, hell, Noahs was yank after one mishaps in a blow out.

It's ok to tell Willie he needs to work on his defense before receiving any real PT, but not tell frank he needs to work on his brutal(32%) offense to get more PT. That's not an even playing field.

That's why noah and willy were upset.

Rose last season pass the ball to no one, yet Jennings (who average more assist in less minutes) got far less minutes, even after rose skipped out on the team.

That's a fck'd up culture

Noah's ridiculous deal came from him seeking out Phil, and shmoozing himself into 70 million dollars. After being relegated to tbe bench in Chicago. And Mills did what he has done since joining the Knicks, he said "yes".

Again, Frank got some slack for his offense, a big reason being he is already one of the best on the ball defenders in the league, while Willy was one of the worst. As simple as that. If Frank had been rushed into tbe starting lineup, I would agree with you.

20 minutes a game is sometimes more than I felt Frank deserved. Thought he should spend more time watching Burke, and learn. Still dont believe Hornacek has gone overboard with minutes for Frank this season.

Frank has averaged 20mpg for just about 70 games now. That is a great about of work for a 19 year old who has never lifted weights and isnt ready for the league. This is what it looks like when you talk about a young player "taking his lumps." Dude plays every night. Sometimes he gets yanked, other times they ride him longer when he's playing well. Knick fans have no context for player development. Frank is doing just fine and the Knicks doing a good job with him.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
3/22/2018  11:44 AM
It is a good article. I had to post the link instead of pasting the article. I hope people are reading it and not just reacting to the title.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/22/2018  12:11 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:I don’t trust this front office. It was developmental year and only Ntlikina got time to develop and even then you could say he didn’t get enough time. Kuz and Willie get discarded. Dotson has basically amassed 316 minutes for the year which is basically the equivalent to 6 1/2 games. Where was the development of the players. This was such a wasted year nothing got done the way it’s supposed to for a development stand point. I’m watching the Miami game and Ntlikina isn’t even being used. The entire third quarter used on vets. How ridiculous are the Knicks. A lot you guys are singing praises but this has been the worst year than last simply because last year players young ones and home grown players were being used at a higher frequency.

The worst part of this year is losing KP and poor lottery position. Just an all around ridiculously dumb organization.

Kuz had to go because of Noah's deal and because Phil didn't draft an NBA ready point guard. Kid not being a Knick is a result of poor management by the past regime. Apparently Clifford and Jeff calling out Willy for his work ethic, poor d etc. doesn't matter because he is under 25?

Also, McDermott was better and younger. He was already 28 and I don't see how anyway could call him a future piece. Also to add to your point about Willy, the kid demanded to be traded. He isn't good enough to start making demands on the franchise. Sure, Willy has some talent. But we also replaced him with a young guy in Williams who plays a position we're weak at.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/22/2018  12:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/22/2018  12:43 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

yep no idea what they are doing a truly inept organization. As long as Steve Mills is here we will go nowhere

I'm not understanding why some people don't get this. He sent 19 million a yr Noah away, and kept 3 million a yr JH around to coach a 3 and 22 record(in Noah's absence).

some of you are impress by the fact he kept draft picks and didn't trade every thing for Kyrie, or Bledsoe..

This entire season was dedicated to frank, and he's been far from impressive, I certainly wouldn't be surprise if Marks hired, Trae is drafted, and Frank is shipped for another pick.

Unlike you, Perry and Mills see the value in Frank. We are 29th rated defense with him off the floor, and 13th ranked defense with him on the floor. He is not a big stats guy, but most NBA execs don't focus on simple stats anymore. Frank can play 3 positions (once he adds strength) so drafting a PG will not equate to Frank being shipped out. Most teams have multiple playmakers in the lineup anyway.

and we are brutal (bottom 3) on offense when franks and lance on the floor, judging from our record, that seems to be more of a factor.

Just curious, do you have numbers to back that up? Not doubting it, just interested to look. Also, look at our record with and without KP. If we are talking about our record, that is really the only factor that matters. Frank should not be expected to lead us to wins, as you seem to be suggesting. We are a better team, particularly defensively with him on the floor. I can show you if you would like, there is no disputing it. But because he doesn't score much or make fancy plays, you consistently point out him being some disappointment. The only ones truly disappointed are those more interested in aesthetics than actual contributions to winning.

this was last night alone

Ntilikina was coming off two encouraging performances — both victories for the Knicks — but completed one of the worst games of his NBA career Wednesday, scoring just three points on 1-of-5 shooting. [b]The Knicks were outscored by 17 points in Ntilikina’s 20 minutes.

I asked you some questions and your response is to show 1 game? Okay that tells me all i need to know. I am done here. I'm glad you said "last night alone" because that in fact is what it is.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/22/2018  2:08 PM
CrushAlot wrote:It is a good article. I had to post the link instead of pasting the article. I hope people are reading it and not just reacting to the title.
well you can tell cant you... I mean the Knicks are bad again so its nothing but the same old this and same old that. However if you have watched this from the get go it has been anything but. You saw... guys are pissed Knicks have 3 wins in their last 20 games and it that doesnt bother them they just make something up and be pissed about that.

Crush.. like you I am very happy with how this team has approached their current situation. I am not happy with this team. I am not happy with this roster. Its a wreck. Phil left us with a mixed bag of great stuff and terrible stuff. The question is what is the approach to fixing it and I think we have seen a good approach under this new FO.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/22/2018  5:29 PM
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

you two guys should go on a camping trip together

I can say the same for you and Nalod.

"NalodStock" party in the woods!

Vmart and Knick1248 "Blair Witch" camping trip.

CrushAlot
USA
3/22/2018  5:34 PM
AFTER YEARS OF SKEPTICISM FROM KNICKS FANS TOWARD THE BRASS THAT RESIDES OVER THE TEAM, IS NOW THE HOUR TO PUT FAITH IN THIS CURRENT ITERATION OF EXECUTIVES?

When dealing with a certain segment of the Knicks fan base, asking them to give the organization the benefit of the doubt—ever—is akin to trying to convince your mom to let you attend a co-ed sleepover after prom.

It’s not an argument you’re going to have, let alone win.

For the eternal optimists among us, this can be a bit frustrating. It seems like every move the team makes will not only be questioned by this subset of fans but will be counted as further evidence of the cancerous strain that has run rampant in the organization for most of this century. The virus’ name is Jim. He plays guitar and the kazoo. Perhaps you’ve heard of him.

For many out there, Dolan’s mere existence colors every other move the Knicks make. It usually comes out looking like the time your three-year-old dumped all the bottles of paint on the floor and mixed them together.

Is it fair though? Let’s take a look at the top three reasons why, according to the parishioners of the Church of Stephen A. Smith, the Knicks are a lost cause as long as Dolan owns the team:

THERE’S NO PLAN IN PLACE
“What are the Knicks doing?”, has been a more common ask in NBA circles over the last 15 years than, “Are the Spurs finally done,” “Is LeBron better than Jordan,” and “Did J.R. go out last night?”

Usually, the answer—correctly—is something in between “nothing good” and “I have no idea.” The past offseason started out no different.

It began with excising Phil Jackson in late June 2017. Even the most ardent Phil supporters would agree that given the way things were spiraling out of control, the move was probably warranted. The timing—just after the draft and days before free agency began—left a bit to be desired, as did the fact that Steve Mills ran the show as a solo act for a few weeks before Scott Perry came aboard.

In that short time, Mills made two moves that signified someone in over his head: signing Ron Baker, a fringe NBA player, to a decidedly non-fringe contract, and handing a $71 million offer sheet to Tim Hardaway Jr. as the team was about to embark on a rebuild.

Those moves remain on the ledger for this regime even though Scott Perry was still working in Sacramento at the time. After all, the man who made those transactions is still very much part of the equation. We’ll get to Mills in a bit. For now though, let’s keep the focus on Perry.

Since he’s been here, the criticism of some fans has remained that they’ve operated like a team that didn’t always know it was supposed to be rebuilding. This point would hold a lot more weight if he spent lavishly on veterans or traded away youth for more established players. Neither has happened.

Every young player on the roster Perry inherited with the exception of one is still here.

As for veteran acquisitions, Jarrett Jack and Michael Beasley were signed to minimum contracts, and for all their faults, have served the team admirably. Jack especially has been the type of veteran presence a rebuilding team should have, as shown by his desire to stick out the season with this group despite no longer being a part of the rotation. Michael Beasley is Michael Beasley, and we should all be thankful for that.

There have been other refrains. “They picked Frank Ntilikina to be a Triangle point guard and then stopped running the Triangle” has been a popular one, as has “bringing in Emmanuel Mudiay shows they no longer have faith in the guy they just drafted.” Both criticisms are a bit short-sighted given the direction of a league that has always been about asset accumulation.

Generally speaking, when you get a 21-year-old former no. 7 overall pick in return for very little, it’s a good move. This isn’t the NFL, where if you have two quarterbacks, you really have none. In a league where having big, switchable ball-handlers are at a premium now more than ever, the more you have, the better off you’ll be. Mudiay might never improve in the myriad ways he needs to, but it’s still a risk you take every time.

As for Ntilikina, the second-youngest player in the league whose merits have been debated ad nauseam, the 6’5″ Swiss army knife with an All-Defense ceiling doesn’t seem to be phased by the presence of either Mudiay or Trey Burke, another solid Perry pickup.

The Knicks Wall
@TheKnicksWall
Our young French son with the layup in semi-transition!!

(via @clippittv)

8:12 PM - Mar 19, 2018
See The Knicks Wall's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy
WHOOOOOSH.

Don’t forget about Troy Williams, who has shined in his short stint with the team. Like Burke, Williams is signed to a team-friendly deal for next season. If nothing else, it’s clear that this regime has done something many before it have failed to do: take low-risk, high-reward fliers on young players with untapped potential.

Every move evinces a measured, rational approach to team building, and it’s resulted in an air of competence wafting around the Garden. In other words, much of the “same old Knicks” chatter has largely been absent since Scott Perry’s arrival.

Oh…but there is that one young player who was shipped out of town. That gets us to our second critique:

THEY DON’T KNOW HOW TO DEVELOP PLAYERS
Trading Willy Hernangómez for two second-rounders one season removed from making the All-Rookie First Team was not a popular move with the fans.

Perry himself named the lovable Spaniard as a core piece moving forward when he first got here, and then proceeded to acquire a starting center in the Carmelo Anthony trade who effectively nailed Hernangómez to the bench. Many said that it showed how they couldn’t get their priorities straight, losing an asset because of that collective shortcoming.

One person who might disagree with that assessment is Willy’s new head coach, Steve Clifford, who stated last weekend that the former Knick “wasn’t playing [in New York] for a reason,” among other critiques, per Yahoo Sports. It’s generally regarded as poor practice to dole out playing time that isn’t earned when trying to establish a culture of winning. Talent aside, it’s pretty clear that Hernangómez wasn’t earning his keep.

That they got two second-round picks for a ground-bound, defensively challenged center with no range from a team that figures to be pretty awful in a few years was regarded as a win around the league, but it still called into question whether the Knicks could have done anything differently. The same questions have started to arise lately as New York’s younger players haven’t exactly been getting the lion’s share of playing time.

What hasn’t gotten as much attention is the fact that before this season, Perry brought in a fresh face to revamp the player development segment of the organization. If this regime is prioritizing one thing above all else, it’s improving the way they bring players along. Former First Brother-in-Law Craig Robinson—who nominally manages development for the Knicks’ G League affiliate—has a plan in place, reportedly, and has already said that the offseason will be a key part of that process.

That Robinson comes from spending one season as vice president of player and organizational development with the Milwaukee Bucks—a franchise that turned Khris Middleton and Malcolm Brogdon from second-round picks into a borderline All-Star and Rookie of the Year, respectively, not to mention shepherded Giannis Antetokounmpo‘s rise to stardom—is encouraging (as is the fact that the former Commander-in-Chief is available as a sounding board. That doesn’t hurt either.)

Fans see what they see though, and to many, the Knicks aren’t playing the kids enough.

It may be a bit of an overreaction. Through Monday, New York has given 16 percent of the minutes this year to first- or second-year players, which isn’t insignificant. Also, there’s some evidence that the distribution may be warranted:

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Knicks Film School
@KnickFilmSchool
The Distribution of Frank's Minutes:

I would have guessed there were a lot of games when Frank was playing really well, and Hornacek pulled him. In reality, Frank had a negative plus/minus in 20 of the 26 games he played < 20 minutes, and shot 36-103 (34.9%) in those games

9:47 AM - Mar 19, 2018
24 people are talking about this
Is Hornacek perfect? God, no. The year-long playing time for fellow rookie Damyean Dotson—in a league desperate for players of his ilk—has been baffling, as has his reluctance to give Trey Burke more court time.

This leads us to the last thing thing often gets lost: the evaluation process doesn’t only include assessing the guys in jerseys. Jeff Hornacek is under the very same microscope.

There are those out there who think the front office is doing enough to guide Hornacek’s rotations during this time. Oh, but how short a memory we have in this city. Of all the controversies surrounding the franchise over the last several years, the most maddening one ended mere months ago when they finally let go of an executive who attempted to coach from on high.

Phil Jackson’s meddling turned off many in the organization, including several players and free agents. You may remember one in particular. If there’s one thing this front office needs to distance themselves from, it’s the notion that those under them aren’t free to do their job as they see fit.

Scott Perry and, yes, Steve Mills, have given Hornacek enough rope to either pull himself up or hang himself with. Both of them will take a look at him after the season and consider what’s best for the team moving forward.

That leads us to perhaps the touchiest issue out there…

STEVE MILLS STILL HAS A JOB, AND JAMES DOLAN STILL EXISTS
Is it totally fair to blame people for holding these two against the organization above all else? Steve Mills, a Dolan disciple, is not only employed, but technically the man in charge. As the one common denominator (aside from Dolan himself) who’s been here through all the misery, isn’t his mere presence evidence that nothing has changed?

Even the hopeless romantics Knicks fans would have to admit that Scott Perry is only here because David Griffin refused to come into a situation where he wasn’t the final voice on all basketball decisions. The Griffin negotiations were a slap in the face to the fan base. Now, the primary faces behind the madness are still there smiling at us as yet another 50-loss season circles the drain.

It’s a fair point, except that under a bit of scrutiny, it doesn’t hold up. Mills is Princeton-educated, and for all of his lack of foresight as the sole basketball decision maker, he’s not a stupid man. The plan was never for him to build this team by himself, and he was smart enough to know he needed to bring in someone to help him run the show.

Enter Scott Perry. As with every GM, he’s been a part of some regimes that have made questionable decisions, but if you stay in this line of work long enough, you’re going to get some warts. The fact that he’s been continuously employed in front offices for over a decade is a testament to his value, with the hire universally lauded around the league.

But Mills still has some say. The $71 million offer sheet given to Tim Hardaway Jr. during the few weeks he was running the show by himself was generally lambasted as an overpay for an unproven and maybe tertiary contributor. The optics at the time were terrible. They had dealt away Hardaway Jr. just two years prior, and there was an active search for a front office partner ongoing when the move was made.

This year, Timmy has mostly struggled, but has also had moments where he’s looked like foundational piece to the core (albeit one ideally suited for sixth man duties). Say this for Mills though: his spending was on youth at a position of need for a player still getting better. There are worse things than overpaying a productive 25-year-old about a third more than he’s worth.

It doesn’t change the fact that, on balance, Mills probably should have been out long ago. Which brings us back to Prince Joffrey himself.

For the segment of Knicks fans we opened the column talking about, Mills will always be nothing more than a Dolan spy, sent into the basketball ops department to bring back valuable information to his boss. The final question for them is a simple one: so what? The notion of a business owner wanting to know what goes on behind the scenes of his organization is nothing new. Even the most ardent Knicks conspiracy theorists would admit that Jimmy’s days of butting into basketball decisions appear to be over.

If that’s the case, there’s no apparent harm in Mills reporting up the ladder, if it’s even happening at all. It might still feel unpalatable to some, given the history that surrounds these parties, but maybe—just maybe—some learning has occurred on both of their parts.

Only time will tell. In the meantime, fans who will forever be convinced that no turnaround will ever occur under this regime will continue to have a leg to stand on.

The rest of us continue to look for positives and try our best to judge Scott Perry’s moves on their merits. So far at least, it’s been a refreshing change from the past.

They seem to be putting out good content at, The KnicksWall. Could they be added to the blog roll?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/22/2018  5:53 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
AFTER YEARS OF SKEPTICISM FROM KNICKS FANS TOWARD THE BRASS THAT RESIDES OVER THE TEAM, IS NOW THE HOUR TO PUT FAITH IN THIS CURRENT ITERATION OF EXECUTIVES?

When dealing with a certain segment of the Knicks fan base, asking them to give the organization the benefit of the doubt—ever—is akin to trying to convince your mom to let you attend a co-ed sleepover after prom.

It’s not an argument you’re going to have, let alone win.

For the eternal optimists among us, this can be a bit frustrating. It seems like every move the team makes will not only be questioned by this subset of fans but will be counted as further evidence of the cancerous strain that has run rampant in the organization for most of this century. The virus’ name is Jim. He plays guitar and the kazoo. Perhaps you’ve heard of him.

For many out there, Dolan’s mere existence colors every other move the Knicks make. It usually comes out looking like the time your three-year-old dumped all the bottles of paint on the floor and mixed them together.

Is it fair though? Let’s take a look at the top three reasons why, according to the parishioners of the Church of Stephen A. Smith, the Knicks are a lost cause as long as Dolan owns the team:

THERE’S NO PLAN IN PLACE
“What are the Knicks doing?”, has been a more common ask in NBA circles over the last 15 years than, “Are the Spurs finally done,” “Is LeBron better than Jordan,” and “Did J.R. go out last night?”

Usually, the answer—correctly—is something in between “nothing good” and “I have no idea.” The past offseason started out no different.

It began with excising Phil Jackson in late June 2017. Even the most ardent Phil supporters would agree that given the way things were spiraling out of control, the move was probably warranted. The timing—just after the draft and days before free agency began—left a bit to be desired, as did the fact that Steve Mills ran the show as a solo act for a few weeks before Scott Perry came aboard.

In that short time, Mills made two moves that signified someone in over his head: signing Ron Baker, a fringe NBA player, to a decidedly non-fringe contract, and handing a $71 million offer sheet to Tim Hardaway Jr. as the team was about to embark on a rebuild.

Those moves remain on the ledger for this regime even though Scott Perry was still working in Sacramento at the time. After all, the man who made those transactions is still very much part of the equation. We’ll get to Mills in a bit. For now though, let’s keep the focus on Perry.

Since he’s been here, the criticism of some fans has remained that they’ve operated like a team that didn’t always know it was supposed to be rebuilding. This point would hold a lot more weight if he spent lavishly on veterans or traded away youth for more established players. Neither has happened.

Every young player on the roster Perry inherited with the exception of one is still here.

As for veteran acquisitions, Jarrett Jack and Michael Beasley were signed to minimum contracts, and for all their faults, have served the team admirably. Jack especially has been the type of veteran presence a rebuilding team should have, as shown by his desire to stick out the season with this group despite no longer being a part of the rotation. Michael Beasley is Michael Beasley, and we should all be thankful for that.

There have been other refrains. “They picked Frank Ntilikina to be a Triangle point guard and then stopped running the Triangle” has been a popular one, as has “bringing in Emmanuel Mudiay shows they no longer have faith in the guy they just drafted.” Both criticisms are a bit short-sighted given the direction of a league that has always been about asset accumulation.

Generally speaking, when you get a 21-year-old former no. 7 overall pick in return for very little, it’s a good move. This isn’t the NFL, where if you have two quarterbacks, you really have none. In a league where having big, switchable ball-handlers are at a premium now more than ever, the more you have, the better off you’ll be. Mudiay might never improve in the myriad ways he needs to, but it’s still a risk you take every time.

As for Ntilikina, the second-youngest player in the league whose merits have been debated ad nauseam, the 6’5″ Swiss army knife with an All-Defense ceiling doesn’t seem to be phased by the presence of either Mudiay or Trey Burke, another solid Perry pickup.

The Knicks Wall
@TheKnicksWall
Our young French son with the layup in semi-transition!!

(via @clippittv)

8:12 PM - Mar 19, 2018
See The Knicks Wall's other Tweets
WHOOOOOSH.

Don’t forget about Troy Williams, who has shined in his short stint with the team. Like Burke, Williams is signed to a team-friendly deal for next season. If nothing else, it’s clear that this regime has done something many before it have failed to do: take low-risk, high-reward fliers on young players with untapped potential.

Every move evinces a measured, rational approach to team building, and it’s resulted in an air of competence wafting around the Garden. In other words, much of the “same old Knicks” chatter has largely been absent since Scott Perry’s arrival.

Oh…but there is that one young player who was shipped out of town. That gets us to our second critique:

THEY DON’T KNOW HOW TO DEVELOP PLAYERS
Trading Willy Hernangómez for two second-rounders one season removed from making the All-Rookie First Team was not a popular move with the fans.

Perry himself named the lovable Spaniard as a core piece moving forward when he first got here, and then proceeded to acquire a starting center in the Carmelo Anthony trade who effectively nailed Hernangómez to the bench. Many said that it showed how they couldn’t get their priorities straight, losing an asset because of that collective shortcoming.

One person who might disagree with that assessment is Willy’s new head coach, Steve Clifford, who stated last weekend that the former Knick “wasn’t playing [in New York] for a reason,” among other critiques, per Yahoo Sports. It’s generally regarded as poor practice to dole out playing time that isn’t earned when trying to establish a culture of winning. Talent aside, it’s pretty clear that Hernangómez wasn’t earning his keep.

That they got two second-round picks for a ground-bound, defensively challenged center with no range from a team that figures to be pretty awful in a few years was regarded as a win around the league, but it still called into question whether the Knicks could have done anything differently. The same questions have started to arise lately as New York’s younger players haven’t exactly been getting the lion’s share of playing time.

What hasn’t gotten as much attention is the fact that before this season, Perry brought in a fresh face to revamp the player development segment of the organization. If this regime is prioritizing one thing above all else, it’s improving the way they bring players along. Former First Brother-in-Law Craig Robinson—who nominally manages development for the Knicks’ G League affiliate—has a plan in place, reportedly, and has already said that the offseason will be a key part of that process.

That Robinson comes from spending one season as vice president of player and organizational development with the Milwaukee Bucks—a franchise that turned Khris Middleton and Malcolm Brogdon from second-round picks into a borderline All-Star and Rookie of the Year, respectively, not to mention shepherded Giannis Antetokounmpo‘s rise to stardom—is encouraging (as is the fact that the former Commander-in-Chief is available as a sounding board. That doesn’t hurt either.)

Fans see what they see though, and to many, the Knicks aren’t playing the kids enough.

It may be a bit of an overreaction. Through Monday, New York has given 16 percent of the minutes this year to first- or second-year players, which isn’t insignificant. Also, there’s some evidence that the distribution may be warranted:

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Knicks Film School
@KnickFilmSchool
The Distribution of Frank's Minutes:

I would have guessed there were a lot of games when Frank was playing really well, and Hornacek pulled him. In reality, Frank had a negative plus/minus in 20 of the 26 games he played < 20 minutes, and shot 36-103 (34.9%) in those games

9:47 AM - Mar 19, 2018
24 people are talking about this
Is Hornacek perfect? God, no. The year-long playing time for fellow rookie Damyean Dotson—in a league desperate for players of his ilk—has been baffling, as has his reluctance to give Trey Burke more court time.

This leads us to the last thing thing often gets lost: the evaluation process doesn’t only include assessing the guys in jerseys. Jeff Hornacek is under the very same microscope.

There are those out there who think the front office is doing enough to guide Hornacek’s rotations during this time. Oh, but how short a memory we have in this city. Of all the controversies surrounding the franchise over the last several years, the most maddening one ended mere months ago when they finally let go of an executive who attempted to coach from on high.

Phil Jackson’s meddling turned off many in the organization, including several players and free agents. You may remember one in particular. If there’s one thing this front office needs to distance themselves from, it’s the notion that those under them aren’t free to do their job as they see fit.

Scott Perry and, yes, Steve Mills, have given Hornacek enough rope to either pull himself up or hang himself with. Both of them will take a look at him after the season and consider what’s best for the team moving forward.

That leads us to perhaps the touchiest issue out there…

STEVE MILLS STILL HAS A JOB, AND JAMES DOLAN STILL EXISTS
Is it totally fair to blame people for holding these two against the organization above all else? Steve Mills, a Dolan disciple, is not only employed, but technically the man in charge. As the one common denominator (aside from Dolan himself) who’s been here through all the misery, isn’t his mere presence evidence that nothing has changed?

Even the hopeless romantics Knicks fans would have to admit that Scott Perry is only here because David Griffin refused to come into a situation where he wasn’t the final voice on all basketball decisions. The Griffin negotiations were a slap in the face to the fan base. Now, the primary faces behind the madness are still there smiling at us as yet another 50-loss season circles the drain.

It’s a fair point, except that under a bit of scrutiny, it doesn’t hold up. Mills is Princeton-educated, and for all of his lack of foresight as the sole basketball decision maker, he’s not a stupid man. The plan was never for him to build this team by himself, and he was smart enough to know he needed to bring in someone to help him run the show.

Enter Scott Perry. As with every GM, he’s been a part of some regimes that have made questionable decisions, but if you stay in this line of work long enough, you’re going to get some warts. The fact that he’s been continuously employed in front offices for over a decade is a testament to his value, with the hire universally lauded around the league.

But Mills still has some say. The $71 million offer sheet given to Tim Hardaway Jr. during the few weeks he was running the show by himself was generally lambasted as an overpay for an unproven and maybe tertiary contributor. The optics at the time were terrible. They had dealt away Hardaway Jr. just two years prior, and there was an active search for a front office partner ongoing when the move was made.

This year, Timmy has mostly struggled, but has also had moments where he’s looked like foundational piece to the core (albeit one ideally suited for sixth man duties). Say this for Mills though: his spending was on youth at a position of need for a player still getting better. There are worse things than overpaying a productive 25-year-old about a third more than he’s worth.

It doesn’t change the fact that, on balance, Mills probably should have been out long ago. Which brings us back to Prince Joffrey himself.

For the segment of Knicks fans we opened the column talking about, Mills will always be nothing more than a Dolan spy, sent into the basketball ops department to bring back valuable information to his boss. The final question for them is a simple one: so what? The notion of a business owner wanting to know what goes on behind the scenes of his organization is nothing new. Even the most ardent Knicks conspiracy theorists would admit that Jimmy’s days of butting into basketball decisions appear to be over.

If that’s the case, there’s no apparent harm in Mills reporting up the ladder, if it’s even happening at all. It might still feel unpalatable to some, given the history that surrounds these parties, but maybe—just maybe—some learning has occurred on both of their parts.

Only time will tell. In the meantime, fans who will forever be convinced that no turnaround will ever occur under this regime will continue to have a leg to stand on.

The rest of us continue to look for positives and try our best to judge Scott Perry’s moves on their merits. So far at least, it’s been a refreshing change from the past.

They seem to be putting out good content at, The KnicksWall. Could they be added to the blog roll?

They have been on roll for a while and a couple of weeks ago I noticed their articles weren't showing.... something is up with their site (or our engine). I'll take a peek again. Thanks

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
USA
3/22/2018  7:14 PM
I just listened to their podcast today. It was really good. I have checked out their podcast in the past and they were really unprofessional. Just a bunch of guys talking about random stuff and sometimes the Knicks. Today it was about the draft and seemed to have a structure to it. Also, the author of the article I posted was one of the two guys on the podcast. He is a good twitter follow and I thought he was great on the pod.
MS
Member: #724
3/22/2018  10:20 PM
11pts 10rbs for Willy this eve in 19 minutes....

If we are going to work out Hicks and Kornet I still believe it was a mistake to not play him big minutes and inflate his stats and try to get a first rounder for him in the draft.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/22/2018  10:52 PM
MS wrote:11pts 10rbs for Willy this eve in 19 minutes....

If we are going to work out Hicks and Kornet I still believe it was a mistake to not play him big minutes and inflate his stats and try to get a first rounder for him in the draft.

I’m no longer worried about Willy. He’s destined to be very similar to Kanter IMO. This team needs a different type of PF/C. We need Agile, Long Athletes that can defend, block shots, Finish above the rim and hit 3’s. That’s the kind of Forwards I expect Perry to be looking for.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

3/23/2018  5:32 AM
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

you two guys should go on a camping trip together

I can say the same for you and Nalod.

yea.. but we would have a lot of Knick fans around our warm fun camp fire. You would be alone with Jmp and 1248 in the dark and rain because nothing good ever happens in your world.

Plenty of good things happen in my world its just the Knicks world that is total ass

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
knicks1248
Member: #582
3/23/2018  8:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2018  8:19 AM
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:It is a good article. I had to post the link instead of pasting the article. I hope people are reading it and not just reacting to the title.
well you can tell cant you... I mean the Knicks are bad again so its nothing but the same old this and same old that. However if you have watched this from the get go it has been anything but. You saw... guys are pissed Knicks have 3 wins in their last 20 games and it that doesnt bother them they just make something up and be pissed about that.

Crush.. like you I am very happy with how this team has approached their current situation. I am not happy with this team. I am not happy with this roster. Its a wreck. Phil left us with a mixed bag of great stuff and terrible stuff. The question is what is the approach to fixing it and I think we have seen a good approach under this new FO.

It's a passive approach, I thought a move towards the future at the trade deadline should have been made.

Every regime starts out great or OK, even Isaiah. It's the moves that follow, they are either incomplete or retarded set back moves like ( Amare, Noah, Marbury, Melo).

Getting decent players and then surrounding them with trash has been every Regimes down fall.

KP is heading down that path

ES
Nalod
USA
3/23/2018  8:51 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

It's a passive approach, I thought a move towards the future at the trade deadline should have been made.

Every regime starts out great or OK, even Isaiah. It's the moves that follow, they are either incomplete or retarded set back moves like ( Amare, Noah, Marbury, Melo).

Getting decent players and then surrounding them with trash has been every Regimes down fall.

KP is heading down that path

What kind of move was available that you would have made?

Nalod
USA
3/23/2018  8:59 AM

Did you see what kind of game that was? It was an epic blow out.
Also, do you think teams are stupid to not see a bloated stat and not overpay?
Maybe Denver should have done that with Mudiay? Or any team ever making a trade?
Maybe. You play him and he DEVALUES once his warts are fully exposed? They took Willy on a the hope he can restore his trajectory and we doubled our investment. Not to what his Rookie year had promised but a decent return on a player we don’t see a future in. Hicks shows more acumen then Willy. I think Willy can run, jump and play but was not absorbing the nuances. Hicks stagnated in college to some degree after being a top HS player. He is a project but seems to be a kid that might make a good (not great) Career and has improved vastly.
Thank about it, the knicks drafted a kid, doubled the investment and promoted a player that might be better!!!! This is how its done. This is the reality of the moment. We’ll see how it turns out.
Especially when we use those draft picks.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
3/23/2018  10:29 AM
Nalod wrote:

Maybe Denver should have done that with Mudiay? Or any team ever making a trade?
Maybe. You play him and he DEVALUES once his warts are fully exposed? They took Willy on a the hope he can restore his trajectory and we doubled our investment. Not to what his Rookie year had promised but a decent return on a player we don’t see a future in. Hicks shows more acumen then Willy. I think Willy can run, jump and play but was not absorbing the nuances. Hicks stagnated in college to some degree after being a top HS player. He is a project but seems to be a kid that might make a good (not great) Career and has improved vastly.
Thank about it, the knicks drafted a kid, doubled the investment and promoted a player that might be better!!!! This is how its done. This is the reality of the moment. We’ll see how it turns out.

You have double standards. You can call a Knicks victory vs a tanking Bulls team progress. But you will scrutinize Willie when he has a good game for beating up on the Grizzlies. Be consistent Nalod you are all over the place. The man had a decent game acknowledge it.

Nalod
USA
3/23/2018  1:05 PM
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:

You have double standards. You can call a Knicks victory vs a tanking Bulls team progress. But you will scrutinize Willie when he has a good game for beating up on the Grizzlies. Be consistent Nalod you are all over the place. The man had a decent game acknowledge it.

He had a decent game. I never said he was a piece of Shyt.
The Grizz make the Bulls look great.
The Hornets are a better team than we are. We doubled our investment. If Willy turns into a starting caliber player as good as Kanter I'll eat some crow. If he is better I'll eat two servings.
He is two years younger than Kanter. Hicks is the same age. LIke I said, maybe his development made Willy expendable. This is what good teams do, replace parts with better ones and if you can make a good trade, even better. We are not a good team and this move was done at the end of the bench. But

Blog Article: Playing the Fool: Is it Time To Trust the Knicks' Front Office

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy