The revolution is being televised.....
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/20/2018  10:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/20/2018  10:36 AM
but its not being hyped.
Knicks are quietly remaking itself post Phil. In what usually seems like one starphuch administration after another in the post Eddie Donovan era the knicks seem to be approaching its rebuild from a solid theme that is not worthy of the hype. Knick fans might want to look up the name "Sonny Werblin". This nice old man is long gone and he was the charismatic man who made Namath the highest paid in the NFL was once our team president. This is the dude that gave us McAdoo and Spencer Haywood and Mrvin Webster. The beginning of the end. So whats new?
No doubt we want to make the playoffs this season and for a while it was a valid quest. Post Melo we have a 22 year old avg 23 pts a game, lead the league in shots blocked and was just learning to be a first option. Do you know how rare 22 year old allstars are? only 22 players ever made the team younger than KP in 70 years.
http://www.nba-allstar.com/players/lists/players-by-age.htm
Obviously KP is not perfect and he is "Unicorn down" for a while but what did the team do instead? Trade a first round pick for a "Rudy Gay" type to help us make the playoffs? No. We moved 26 year old journeyman who we did not want to resign for an opportunity to resurrect Mudiay, a 21 year old who lost his job and team gave up on him. Not a big move at all. Just an opportunity. This is different.
But look at the big different picture:
we have Isiah Hicks who clearly is improved and can be a rotational player. Troy Williams is a tweener who like many players has the talent but finding the right team was not easy. Burke is better than he ever was and while I don't know if he is starter material with a high ceiling, he can carry us for while if need be. Kornet might be competing with Hicks for the backup PF spot. All this AFTER KP went down!
This is a very different scene. Perhaps this is why Noah was exiled as his agenda is very different from what is going on with this team. Seems like Kanter and KOQ are very good cheerleaders and veteran support of this movement.
All this and we have not discussed Frank! He was not a Perry pick but might be fitting in with the youth movement? Do knicks see him with a high ceiling long term? (Look within and define your "Long term")
The kids we are growing might not stick. They can be used as trade fodder as well. Growing assets. Knicks have money to spend on that.
Our future is far from defined but if you look closely we are installing a very different formula. While we have no evidence to the new "Process", Craig Robinson our player development dude has alluded to some proprietary process that is new. He also did not have much time to put it in place over the summer.
WE'd all feel so much better if we had some neophyte Sam Presti college intern running this than Mills. We'd call the kid "a visionary"! Perry was bought in without much fanfare but its clear he is very much making big changes in the decision making process.
Gone is Dolans Starhuck and PHils multi layering of rebuilding while triangulating.
Nalod is not moping around feeling sorry for his knick self and how we are cursed. Nalod is optimistic that we are proactive. No guarantee of success, but there are reasons for hope beyond cap space and open concept wishing.
AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
3/20/2018  10:50 AM
I am with you man! To me, as long as you have a plan and you stick with it then I am happy. I like what we have and we are only getting better. This is what a rebuild looks like. We just have to be patient.
Nalod
USA
3/20/2018  12:06 PM
I like the energy our veterans give on the bench. KOQ and Kanter supporting the kids on the court. Vet leadership can set an important tone.
This is why you can't rid of them with a young team. They also call out lack of effort (Clee recently)and helps the coach's efforts.
Isiah Hicks had some nice moments last nite.
NO, its not elite competition but its above Gleague!! They seem to respond to its coach and each other.
This is why Im not calling for JH head!
But, its not my opinion that matters! Perry has to decide to roll with JH and extend him or has his "guy" in mind.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/20/2018  12:16 PM
Knicks have never had management come in and say they will rebuild, then keep picks and actually try out and work with young players.

Nalod you said it... "gotta start somewhere."

This could take a few years. The real indicator will be what we look like in a couple years when Noah/Lee/Lance expire and if/how/what the front office plans around that cap freedom

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/20/2018  3:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/20/2018  4:53 PM
You guys don't seem to get it or want to even try to understand, but we have to speak more positively. I love everything Nalod said.... I'm just speaking in general. We are superfans.nobody cares as much as we do about this team. We have power in what we say... especially what we write. It's very powerful. We could crumble everything just by the words we say....

We have been crying for a full rebuild and look..... we are here because of us. We don't need to talk badly of Dolan. He's not even in the picture anymore. He's literally singing with his band. Mills has been taking care of everything and regardless of the past.... He's handled himself like a professional. This guy Scott Perry is the real gem.... his history as a basketball mind is legit everywhere he's gone. We're in great hands. He rearranged the staff around him. We have alot of good basketball people in the organization. We have to give thanks for this because our prayers have been answered.

There's a next step to this. We have to focus in the task. Stop crying about losing badly and stop crying about winning against the tank. There is a plan for us. We are in a place we haven't been in since the 60s... I think everyone was high, partying, ****ing and enjoying life back then. We need to channel that. We are the 6th man. We make this thing tick. Believe it guys. I'm ****ing telling you this **** is powerful

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
USA
3/20/2018  4:13 PM
EnySpree wrote:You guys don't seem to get it or want to even try to understand, but we have to speak more positively. I love everything Nalod said.... I'm just speaking in general. We are superfans.nobody cares as much as we do about this team. We have power in what we say... especially what we write. It's very powerful. We could crumble everything just by the words we say....

We have been crying for a full rebuild and look..... we are here because of us. We don't need to talk badly of Dolan. He's not even in the picture anymore. He's literally singing with his band. Mills has been taking care of everything and regardless of the past.... He's handled himself like a professional. This guy Scott Perry is the real gem.... his history as a basketball mind is legit everywhere he's gone. We're in great hands. He rearranged the staff around him. We have alot of good basketball people in the organization. We have to give thanks for this because our prayers have been answered.

There's a next step to this. We have to focus in the task. Stop crying about losing ado badly and stop crying about winning against the tank. There is a plan for us. We are in a place we haven't been in since the 60s... I think riverine was high, partying, ****ing ass enjoying life back then. We need to channel that. We are the 6th man. We make this thing tick. Believe it guys. I'm ****ing telling you this **** is powerful

Nalod
USA
3/20/2018  4:13 PM
EnySpree wrote:You guys don't seem to get it or want to even try to understand, but we have to speak more positively. I love everything Nalod said.... I'm just speaking in general. We are superfans.nobody cares as much as we do about this team. We have power in what we say... especially what we write. It's very powerful. We could crumble everything just by the words we say....

There's a next step to this. We have to focus in the task. Stop crying about losing ado badly and stop crying about winning against the tank. There is a plan for us. We are in a place we haven't been in since the 60s... I think riverine was high, partying, ****ing ass enjoying life back then. We need to channel that. We are the 6th man. We make this thing tick. Believe it guys. I'm ****ing telling you this **** is powerful

CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
3/20/2018  4:23 PM
NYKBocker wrote:I am with you man! To me, as long as you have a plan and you stick with it then I am happy. I like what we have and we are only getting better. This is what a rebuild looks like. We just have to be patient.
+1. Great post Nalod. I have been pleasantly surprised with Hicks' play recently.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
USA
3/21/2018  9:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/21/2018  9:17 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I am with you man! To me, as long as you have a plan and you stick with it then I am happy. I like what we have and we are only getting better. This is what a rebuild looks like. We just have to be patient.
+1. Great post Nalod. I have been pleasantly surprised with Hicks' play recently.

His progress might have made willy obsolete and if so we got two 2nd round picks. Such a thing won’t move the dial on the fortunes of this franchise but at a higher level this is how teams improve. Move players up and even if you let the other guy walk your still moving forward by having cap space or they become tradable. Spurs have been very good at this. More importantly they play to a certain level for Pop and that does not always translate around the league. Diaw was never good like he was as a spur. He had two tours with them. Danny Green got off to a hard start in his spurs career but was able to come back and succeed. Belinelli got really good OFF the ball and became a good NBA player. These are the role guys you need to succeed.
All good but need two “stars” and a near star to really compete. We got a long way to go!

MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
3/21/2018  10:44 AM
The next step really is execution on our draft selection.

The most encouraging part of the season was too me is our ability to fill out 8-10 on the roster with cheap young players. I was afraid we were going to take Dougy buckets and give him a three year deal. As long as we make smart decisions and stop signing injured big men I am happy.

What this season has proved and what most of us realize is you never overpay for roll players when you're a lottery team, because you can find them everywhere. Short term deals can never hurt you.

At this point our future is a question mark and not particularly bright, but we are do for a ping pong ball to pop our way, so let's hope we land in the top three and frank works on himself this summer and comes back aggressive, stronger and looking to make an impact.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/21/2018  11:43 AM
MS wrote:The next step really is execution on our draft selection.

The most encouraging part of the season was too me is our ability to fill out 8-10 on the roster with cheap young players. I was afraid we were going to take Dougy buckets and give him a three year deal. As long as we make smart decisions and stop signing injured big men I am happy.

What this season has proved and what most of us realize is you never overpay for roll players when you're a lottery team, because you can find them everywhere. Short term deals can never hurt you.

At this point our future is a question mark and not particularly bright, but we are do for a ping pong ball to pop our way, so let's hope we land in the top three and frank works on himself this summer and comes back aggressive, stronger and looking to make an impact.

Exactly... you have to start somewhere and this front office seems to have. Troy Williams looks better than McD and he's 3 years younger. A homerun on this draft would sure help but simply getting a good player is the #1 key.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
USA
3/21/2018  12:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/21/2018  12:37 PM
MS wrote:The next step really is execution on our draft selection.

Fans don't need the patience to understand that "execution" requires patience. Thats the FO's job! We can scream all we want because we don't see the plan, just the results!
Stockpiling assets does permit trades that can move the timeline up a bit.
Look at the Celtics who did a great job with a core of Olynck, Bradley,IT and Jae Crowder.
Then "Boom" the big trade that condensed into 25 year old Kyrie Irving in his prime, cap space for Haywood, Still, they obtained a future first rounder by trading "Fultz" for the rights to draft Tatum, and the development of Brown, Rozier and Smart all add up. They are succeeding in free agency, Trades, Draft and development.
Ainge was critisized for not accelerating and "Hording assets" but has used them wisely. When Kyrie became available they had it all in place. A healthy IT would have been more valuable. Bad luck With Haywood, but Tatum's development has been huge. With Browns emergence they were able to make their trades and not lose a thing.
THats how its done!!!

The revolution is being televised.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy