Author Thread
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
9/7/2004  7:43 PM
Top Ten Knicks Matchups at MSG
by Tom Kertes

Since they are very likely going to find themselves in a nightly dogfight for premium playoff position, it's no exaggeration to say that EVERY game the improved Knicks will play next season could be an important game. Still, all matchups are not created equal -- and these might be the ten most exciting and/or essential ones in 2004-05:

1. KNICKS-BOSTON CELTICS, Saturday, November 6 (and Wednesday, March 23)
The long-awaited home opener -- against a longtime rival. And this game is even more than that: with the NBA going to six divisions this season, the Knicks are in the Atlantic Division with the Celtics (along with the Nets, Sixers, and Raptors).
Clearly, the Knicks could conquer this newly re-formed Atlantic. Equally clearly, the Celtics could be their toughest obstacle.

Boston will have a new look -- and a dangerous one: Gary Payton (acquired in a trade from the L.A. Lakers) and Paul Pierce are as good a backcourt duo as the NBA has to offer. Much-improved Mark Blount and a healthy Raef LaFrentz should give Boston a revitalized inside game, and the forward line (Ricky Davis, Al Jefferson, Kendrick Perkins, Jiri Welsch, et. al.) is full of youthful, and potentially explosive, talent.

2. KNICKS-CLEVELAND CAVALIERS, Sunday, November 21 (and Friday, January 28)
LeBron James, always a good look, should be a particularly fascinating one after his up-and-down Olympic experience in Athens. Young Magic also feels that the Cavaliers, who swept the Knicks last season, were "just one injury short of" and should have made the playoffs. They'll be hungry -- no, starved!!-- to prove themselves in the Garden -- but will have to do it without fellow Olympian Carlos Boozer who signed with the Utah Jazz during the offseason under highly controversial circumstances.

3. KNICKS-ORLANDO MAGIC, Friday, December 3
A month into the season the fans will know if the Knicks got off to what everyone around the team agrees is the most important factor to a successful season: a good start. The hopefully highflying-by-now Knicks should get an interesting battle from the NBA Draft's No. 1 pick Dwight Howard, the NBA Draft's No. 1 sleeper (Jameer Nelson), and the Rocket-flavored -- and rocket-fuelled -- backcourt of Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley.

4. KNICKS-DENVER NUGGETS, Sunday, December 12
If the lineup of Carmelo Anthony and ex-Net Kenyon Martin at forward, ex-Knick flyswatter Marcus Camby in the middle, and not-so-long-ago NBA assist-champ Andre Miller at point guard strikes you as tough, you're not alone. Many insiders think these new and improved Nuggets should do serious business in the Western Conference this season.

5. KNICKS-DETROIT PISTONS, Wednesday, December 15
The World Champs only visit to the Garden should be a corker and a half. Will the ever-edgy Pistons edge be dulled just a tad by winning it all? How will NBA champion coach Larry Brown react to the bronze medal from Athens? And how will Detroit's in-your-shirt defensive devastators respond to losing Corliss Williamson and Mehmet Okur (replaced by Brown fave Derrick Coleman and ex-Knick Antonio McDyess)?

6. KNICKS-NEW JERSEY NETS, Saturday, January 1 (and Friday, April 1)
Knick fans don't need to be reminded who swept New York out of the playoffs last year -- and under what circumstances. Nor do the Knick players: "I'll never forget what they did to put me out of the game," small forward Tim Thomas says. "Never, ever, ever." Of course, the "culprit" (the aforementioned Kenyon Martin) is no longer with Jersey, but we have a feeling that'll hardly matter once the ball goes up. Especially since even without The Grand Kenyon (and the traded Kerry Kittles) the Nets still could be the Knicks' most difficult division opponent.

7. KNICKS-HOUSTON ROCKETS, Friday, January 21
Welcome to Knicks West. The coaching staff includes former Knicks staffers Jeff Van Gundy, Tom Thibodeau, and, of course, Patrick Ewing. Charlie Ward (and maybe Mark Jackson) are playing point guard. Clarence Weatherspoon is a reserve forward. Dikembe Mutombo is the backup center.
Oh, and if that's not interesting enough, the re-fuelled Rockets also have a couple of pretty gifted players named Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. If Ward, Jackson, and Tyronn Lue can get these two towering talents the ball, the Rockets should be flying at a fairly high level.

8. KNICKS-MIAMI HEAT, Wednesday, February 9 (and Tuesday, March 15)
By the time this game rolls around, it should be clear whether Shaquille O'Neal has turned the Heat into THE team to beat in the Eastern Conference, or just one of the teams to beat. Either way, with Olympian talent Dwyane Wade and the excellent all-rounder Eddie Jones (this superb defender's 177 treys was the third most made in the NBA last year) around to help, the Heat should be on the sizzle.

9. KNICKS-INDIANA PACERS, Saturday, February 26 (and Tuesday, April 5)
On a recent visit to New York, inquiring minds kept on asking Ron Artest "what the Pacers need to do to catch Detroit?" "Not much, dude," the New York-born NBA Defensive Player of The Year smiled. "I think people tend to forget that we won 61 games." And if that's not enough, Eastern co-fave Indiana has also added sweet-shooting Stephen Jackson to keep 39 year-old Reggie Miller young at the two guard spot.

10. KNICKS-LOS ANGELES LAKERS, Monday, February 28
Okay, so these won't be your father's Lakers, Shaq's Lakers, or even last year's Lakers. But they're still the Lakers. And all-Kobefied L.A. still presents a pretty tough perimeter front with the beyond-talented Mr. Bryant, pleasant Olympian surprise Lamar Odom, and gifted swinger Caron Butler. Role-playing Chucky Atkins (acquired from Boston for the Glove) is the new point guard, with aging Vlade Divac and the ageless Karl Malone powering up the inside spots.

CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START!!!!!!!
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/7/2004  7:55 PM
Clearly, the Knicks could conquer this newly re-formed Atlantic. Equally clearly, the Celtics could be their toughest obstacle.

Especially since even without The Grand Kenyon (and the traded Kerry Kittles) the Nets still could be the Knicks' most difficult division opponent.

I'm almost surprised they didn't mention Philly.
Anyway, my favorite matchups every year are the C's at the garden, and the Kings at the garden. Should be a fun season (when do you recall saying that under Layden?).
NYK3
Member: #725
USA
9/7/2004  7:57 PM
lol i can NEVER recall saying that under Layden
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
9/7/2004  8:02 PM
"I'll never forget what they did to put me out of the game," small forward Tim Thomas says. "Never, ever, ever." Of course, the "culprit" (the aforementioned Kenyon Martin) is no longer with Jersey
Actually, the culprit--Collins--is still in New Jersey
MaTT4281
USA
9/7/2004  8:03 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
"I'll never forget what they did to put me out of the game," small forward Tim Thomas says. "Never, ever, ever." Of course, the "culprit" (the aforementioned Kenyon Martin) is no longer with Jersey

Yeah I know, I never figured out why Timmy singled out K-Mart after the game.
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
9/7/2004  8:16 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Yeah I know, I never figured out why Timmy singled out K-Mart after the game.
There was a lot of trash talking from both players. I wouldn't put the blame on TT alone
bsw3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #589
9/7/2004  11:40 PM
It will be a good game when the wolves come to town. I'm going to the game in minny on nov. 3. Anytime you put Steph and KG on the same court wearing different uni's, it's going to be a helluva game.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
9/8/2004  3:08 AM
I can't wait for Keith Van Horn and the Bucks to come into town, that is, if he isn't traded first. ;-)
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/8/2004  8:25 AM
I cant wait for the Knicks vs. Nets game this season. I hope we blow them out by 50 points.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
9/8/2004  10:50 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

I cant wait for the Knicks vs. Nets game this season. I hope we blow them out by 50 points.

haha I'll second that
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/8/2004  1:11 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by Silverfuel:

haha I'll second that

I hope TT takes it real hard to the rack that game. Nothing dirty or stupid. Just some monster jams and a few hard stares at Collins.
Bizzy211
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #601
USA
9/8/2004  1:21 PM
Collins is going to be exposed in the absence of K-Mart. Collins is just tall and lanky. He holds no real skills. If T.T doesn't dunk on him then I will.
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
MaTT4281
USA
9/8/2004  2:00 PM
Posted by Bizzy211:

Collins is going to be exposed in the absence of K-Mart. Collins is just tall and lanky. He holds no real skills. If T.T doesn't dunk on him then I will.

Collins is exposed everytime he steps onto the court.
Top Ten Knicks Matchups at MSG

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy