[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Early Kudos to Perry
Author Thread
meloshouldgo
Posts: 26150
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/3/2014
Member: #5801

3/3/2018  9:50 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:That's over simplistic....


Here's what you can say about Perry so far. Given his circumstances, he inherited some bad situations on this roster and team, he has not however ( so far) made it worse.

Phil Jackson inherited a bad situation. He traded for Calderon. He made it worse. He didn't have to trade for Calderon. He walked in with a team gutted of draft picks, not his fault. He signed Lance Thomas to a mind boggling deal for a 15th man type energy guy. He made it worse.

It's hard to say if Perry will be a GOOD GM or not.

Just being a "Not Bad GM" is not the same as a "Good GM" Not making your bad situation worse is a sign of a Not Bad GM. A Good GM will do things like Belichick did when he drafted Gronk and Aaron Hernandez, saw the trend curves and beat the league to the punch.

Perry is very limited by choices. He could only shop in Tier 5 of Free Agency, and he was limited by players who were not scooped up by contenders and could offer more money. In that regard, his choices were always limited.

If a team makes the correct market based decisions, in an early rebuild, the choices literally make themselves. Any young NBA intern could do Perry's job right now. However, it's wait and see down the road whether hes a Good GM or not.

He's not making his bad situations worse, that's all anyone can ask for at this stage. Since it's a huge relative improvement to that idiot Phil Jackson, it does look like super star stuff to some in contrast. It's not hard to look good when the guy before you was an idiot. God Bless Phil Jackson the coach, but running this team, he was truly out of his depth.


his tenure starts this offseason with the 9th pick, make it count.

Perry didn't have to trade melo, it's not like SUGE Knight came to his office with demands.

I would have giving cleveland, Frank/willy/1st rnd and whatever else they wanted (aside from KP) for Kyrie

Kyrie/THJ/Melo/KP/Noah and you would have still been able to get BURKE/Bease/jack

Phil did not inherit a bad team, Like perry, he made a trade that didn't solve any problems.

Perry did make a bad situation worse, he got rid of one disgruntle player(melo) that resulted in having 2 disgruntle players(noah and willy) and Noah's contract is 10x worse then melo's, and he's not even fckng playing which hurts even more. Now they're sitting there scratching their heads like (what do we do now)

His tenure started one second after he signed his contract, he's already been involved in FA and trade deadlines.

The fact that Perry has to answer to mills, he's more of an consultant than an actual GM, the same roll MILLs had when phil was here.

we never associated any moves under phil as a mills trade or mills signing.

Why do you think that is?

The only reason Mills has a job is because he's Dolan's BOY, that's his main qualifications, and don't act like you don't know that.

You don't think that's a problem?


Career
Mills played professional basketball in Ecuador for a year.[2] He worked for the National Basketball Association for sixteen years beginning in 1984 after having worked at Chemical Bank. Mills ascension while at the NBA was notable. He was an account executive in the corporate sponsorship department of NBA properties and program manager for NBA properties. He became vice-president of special events, after which he was senior vice-president of Basketball and Player Development,[3] Mills then became Chief operating officer and Sports Business President of Madison Square Garden in 2003.[4] His duties at MSG included supervising day-to-day operations, including finances, business strategies of the NBAs New York Knicks, NHL's New York Rangers and the WNBA's New York Liberty. All sports related activities were under his jurisdiction, including boxing, college basketball and track & field.

In 2009, Mills left MSG and joined Magic Johnson Enterprises where he helped create the Athletes & Entertainers Wealth Management Group, LLC (A&E).[5] of which he was a partner.[6]

On September 26, 2013, the New York Knicks announced Mills would be the executive vice president and general manager of the organization.[7]

On July 14, 2017, after announcing that Scott Perry would become the Knicks' newest general manager, the Knicks also announced Mills would be the new president of the organization, replacing the role that was previously held by Phil Jackson.

Memberships
Mills was on the Board of Trustees of USA Basketball and the Board of Trustees of the Basketball Hall of Fame. He currently is on the Board of Advisors for the Hospital for Special Surgery, Board of Directors of Harlem Junior Tennis and Board of Directors Princeton University Varsity Club. He also Co-Chairs the Princeton University Connect Initiative Task Force.

Achievements
Mills was named Black Enterprise's Corporate Executive of the Year in 2003,[4] and was listed as one of the Top Front Office Team Executives on Black Enterprise's 50 Most Powerful Blacks in Sports in 2005.[9]

Before getting hired by Dolan in 2013 it was rumored he was leading candidate to replace Billy Hunter as head of the NBA union.

You have to go a bit further than "HE DOLANS BOY". Do I have a problem? No, he seems qualified to be Team president. As GM? no, but think for a moment (Novel idea, right?), Your kind of stuck on titles than job description. What if Phil did all the roster stuff the GM does, but had final say on matters? What if Mills when he was GM did the financial work for the team as does most Presidents, but you just call him "GM". Same pay, same deal, but give Phil the title for many reasons. Including that Mills reports to Phil. Might be a bit unconventional to the causual reader. To test that theory, when Phil was made gone, look what happend, Mills title changed back and knicks hired Perry whose duties are more conventional to the GM title he holds.

So the question remains, is Mills qualified to be a team president? Do you have the corporate management acumen to debate his qualifications beyond "His Boy"?

Qualification comes from experience, hell, Fisher was the union pres at one point. Nothing in mills back round suggest he is qualified to build a championship team.

Maybe if the team had a solid core and only required tinkering, but this is a total fckng mess, this requires someone with a lot of experience, and a proven back round

Did you read anything that Nalod posted? Anything at all. His background qualifies him to be team President. He is not charged with building a championship team, he is charged with running an organization.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
AUTOADVERT
Jmpasq
Posts: 23613
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 4/10/2012
Member: #4182

3/3/2018  9:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/3/2018  9:58 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:That's over simplistic....


Here's what you can say about Perry so far. Given his circumstances, he inherited some bad situations on this roster and team, he has not however ( so far) made it worse.

Phil Jackson inherited a bad situation. He traded for Calderon. He made it worse. He didn't have to trade for Calderon. He walked in with a team gutted of draft picks, not his fault. He signed Lance Thomas to a mind boggling deal for a 15th man type energy guy. He made it worse.

It's hard to say if Perry will be a GOOD GM or not.

Just being a "Not Bad GM" is not the same as a "Good GM" Not making your bad situation worse is a sign of a Not Bad GM. A Good GM will do things like Belichick did when he drafted Gronk and Aaron Hernandez, saw the trend curves and beat the league to the punch.

Perry is very limited by choices. He could only shop in Tier 5 of Free Agency, and he was limited by players who were not scooped up by contenders and could offer more money. In that regard, his choices were always limited.

If a team makes the correct market based decisions, in an early rebuild, the choices literally make themselves. Any young NBA intern could do Perry's job right now. However, it's wait and see down the road whether hes a Good GM or not.

He's not making his bad situations worse, that's all anyone can ask for at this stage. Since it's a huge relative improvement to that idiot Phil Jackson, it does look like super star stuff to some in contrast. It's not hard to look good when the guy before you was an idiot. God Bless Phil Jackson the coach, but running this team, he was truly out of his depth.


his tenure starts this offseason with the 9th pick, make it count.

Perry didn't have to trade melo, it's not like SUGE Knight came to his office with demands.

I would have giving cleveland, Frank/willy/1st rnd and whatever else they wanted (aside from KP) for Kyrie

Kyrie/THJ/Melo/KP/Noah and you would have still been able to get BURKE/Bease/jack

Phil did not inherit a bad team, Like perry, he made a trade that didn't solve any problems.

Perry did make a bad situation worse, he got rid of one disgruntle player(melo) that resulted in having 2 disgruntle players(noah and willy) and Noah's contract is 10x worse then melo's, and he's not even fckng playing which hurts even more. Now they're sitting there scratching their heads like (what do we do now)

His tenure started one second after he signed his contract, he's already been involved in FA and trade deadlines.

The fact that Perry has to answer to mills, he's more of an consultant than an actual GM, the same roll MILLs had when phil was here.

we never associated any moves under phil as a mills trade or mills signing.

Why do you think that is?

The only reason Mills has a job is because he's Dolan's BOY, that's his main qualifications, and don't act like you don't know that.

You don't think that's a problem?


Seriously if no other team in the NBA would hire you in any capacity you shouldn't be the president or GM of an NBA team. This is why I'm so negative and have no faith in this franchise. If this guy has the final say what chance does Perry have to build a team. Why was he cap strapping the team with Hardaway before iring a GM, thats insane
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Cartman718
Posts: 27292
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/12/2007
Member: #1694

3/3/2018  2:30 PM
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:Martin you are questioning Kanter's impact on games. Really? Why don't you do some research about he kept us in games. Centers that dominate like him on offense don't go on trees.

Is kanter more of a $20 mill player or is Lopez more of a $14 mill player.

You can be biased against him all you want, but if EVERYONE in the nba got paid what they deserved, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Because Noah would not be on this team.

There are more teams willing to take a chance on no defense kanter than no offense Noah in today's nba

I’m kinda drunk but even if I was sober I don’t think I’d understand what you tried to write

Wtf does Noah have to do with anything Kanter

I hate that I just wasted 5 minutes on this, back to beer

part of my post (on the phone) got overwritten. what noah has to do with it is that we have 40% of our own cap money spent on centers and you are questioning why another team would do that?? like every other GM is super smart.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Nalod
Posts: 56395
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
3/3/2018  8:22 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:That's over simplistic....


Here's what you can say about Perry so far. Given his circumstances, he inherited some bad situations on this roster and team, he has not however ( so far) made it worse.

Phil Jackson inherited a bad situation. He traded for Calderon. He made it worse. He didn't have to trade for Calderon. He walked in with a team gutted of draft picks, not his fault. He signed Lance Thomas to a mind boggling deal for a 15th man type energy guy. He made it worse.

It's hard to say if Perry will be a GOOD GM or not.

Just being a "Not Bad GM" is not the same as a "Good GM" Not making your bad situation worse is a sign of a Not Bad GM. A Good GM will do things like Belichick did when he drafted Gronk and Aaron Hernandez, saw the trend curves and beat the league to the punch.

Perry is very limited by choices. He could only shop in Tier 5 of Free Agency, and he was limited by players who were not scooped up by contenders and could offer more money. In that regard, his choices were always limited.

If a team makes the correct market based decisions, in an early rebuild, the choices literally make themselves. Any young NBA intern could do Perry's job right now. However, it's wait and see down the road whether hes a Good GM or not.

He's not making his bad situations worse, that's all anyone can ask for at this stage. Since it's a huge relative improvement to that idiot Phil Jackson, it does look like super star stuff to some in contrast. It's not hard to look good when the guy before you was an idiot. God Bless Phil Jackson the coach, but running this team, he was truly out of his depth.


his tenure starts this offseason with the 9th pick, make it count.

Perry didn't have to trade melo, it's not like SUGE Knight came to his office with demands.

I would have giving cleveland, Frank/willy/1st rnd and whatever else they wanted (aside from KP) for Kyrie

Kyrie/THJ/Melo/KP/Noah and you would have still been able to get BURKE/Bease/jack

Phil did not inherit a bad team, Like perry, he made a trade that didn't solve any problems.

Perry did make a bad situation worse, he got rid of one disgruntle player(melo) that resulted in having 2 disgruntle players(noah and willy) and Noah's contract is 10x worse then melo's, and he's not even fckng playing which hurts even more. Now they're sitting there scratching their heads like (what do we do now)

His tenure started one second after he signed his contract, he's already been involved in FA and trade deadlines.

The fact that Perry has to answer to mills, he's more of an consultant than an actual GM, the same roll MILLs had when phil was here.

we never associated any moves under phil as a mills trade or mills signing.

Why do you think that is?

The only reason Mills has a job is because he's Dolan's BOY, that's his main qualifications, and don't act like you don't know that.

You don't think that's a problem?


Seriously if no other team in the NBA would hire you in any capacity you shouldn't be the president or GM of an NBA team. This is why I'm so negative and have no faith in this franchise. If this guy has the final say what chance does Perry have to build a team. Why was he cap strapping the team with Hardaway before iring a GM, thats insane

How do you know no other team would hire him? HOw do you know if he interviewed with another, or had any desire to work in another city?
How was he “strapping the team” with Timmy? What other free agent moves were prevented by his salary?
I realize not everyone loves Tim, but Just wondering what his signing prevented?

You don't show a fool a job half done!
TripleThreat
Posts: 22095
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/24/2012
Member: #3997

3/3/2018  8:24 PM
Cartman718 wrote:Martin you are questioning Kanter's impact on games. Really? Why don't you do some research about he kept us in games. Centers that dominate like him on offense don't go on trees.

Is kanter more of a $20 mill player or is Lopez more of a $14 mill player.

You can be biased against him all you want, but if EVERYONE in the nba got paid what they deserved, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Because Noah would not be on this team.

There are more teams willing to take a chance on no defense kanter than no offense Noah in today's nba

Every player is subject to the VORP principle (Value Over Replacement Player. i.e. a "replacement player" is weighing out the current player and his cost against what would be seen as a league average starter making exactly league average money for his position/age/production/injury history/track record)

Can Kanter help a team in a raw sense? Yes.

Can Kanter help a team given his CURRENT COST? That's a different question

Can Kanter help a team given his PROJECTED COST? That's an even different question.

Noah is a bad contract. If he signed a 2 year deal for 4 million a year AAV with the 2nd as a team option, that would be an OK deal. Even hurt, even suspended, even sort of a douchebag. Same with Luol Deng, Teletovic, Henson, Mozgov, Biyombio, pick any bad contract in the league right now.

VORP question - Can you get 65-70 percent of the production at 10-15-20 percent of the cost of your current player? Or a player you see on the market?

Saying teams would love current Kanter over current Noah is like saying most guys would rather have a girlfriend with herpes instead of a girlfriend with HIV.

No team really wants either player out there at their current contracts. No team is going to pay those guys anywhere close to their current AAV if they hit the open market again.

Kanter cannot defend the rim. He does not space the floor. As a pivot with his level of minutes played, he's likely the worst pick and roll defender in the entire league for pivots. If you pulled Robert Parish out of retirement, Kanter would still be the worst PNR defender in the entire league. Think about an old guy who is limping and can't find his car in the parking lot. He would be more useful than Kanter on defense. He's functionally worthless on a playoff team given his cost and because he'll need to be pulled in critical late game situations.

Rebuilding teams have no use for Kanter. Zero.

Playoff and contending teams might have a limited use, but don't have a salary match for him except for bad contracts or guys who are injured and working as dead weight contracts.

Unless you want to trade Kanter for Brandon Knight and some filler and maybe a pick, or for a Luol Deng, or some equally horrific contract, there is no trade for him out there. The FA market is going to collapse. Too many teams over the tax zone, going into the tax zone or the repeater zone or want to avoid going near the line period. He's not going to opt out. If he does, he's an idiot and the market will fall around him.

You are saying he has value in some absolute sense. You are RIGHT. But only on a sense WITHOUT CONTEXT. That's saying a chick with a warm wet hole even with herpes or HIV will be useful to someone. Yes, some loser/simp/soyboy/cuck will be thirsty enough to even pound that kind of death trap.

If you are saying he has value currently in a relative sense, you are WRONG. Because WITH CONTEXT, his contract is toxic compared to his actual value to the few teams that MIGHT be able to find some limited role for him, given his limitations.

He was available to the Knicks FOR A REASON.

OKC tried to trade him since they reupped him and no one wanted him. The Knicks have tried to put in the ground work to trade him preceding the deadline since they got him and no one wants him.

OK, he doesn't have the Magic Johnson Special. But he's got Valtrex slathered over his lips because he's got cold sores the size of grapefruits. I guess in some fashion, to some people, that's some kind of win. I guess you see that as some kind of win.


PS It's not a win

"Should have paid Lin and rid ourselves of Melo. Lin makes every team better." - HofstraBBall 11/12/2018
Jmpasq
Posts: 23613
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 4/10/2012
Member: #4182

3/4/2018  12:05 PM
Nalod wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:That's over simplistic....


Here's what you can say about Perry so far. Given his circumstances, he inherited some bad situations on this roster and team, he has not however ( so far) made it worse.

Phil Jackson inherited a bad situation. He traded for Calderon. He made it worse. He didn't have to trade for Calderon. He walked in with a team gutted of draft picks, not his fault. He signed Lance Thomas to a mind boggling deal for a 15th man type energy guy. He made it worse.

It's hard to say if Perry will be a GOOD GM or not.

Just being a "Not Bad GM" is not the same as a "Good GM" Not making your bad situation worse is a sign of a Not Bad GM. A Good GM will do things like Belichick did when he drafted Gronk and Aaron Hernandez, saw the trend curves and beat the league to the punch.

Perry is very limited by choices. He could only shop in Tier 5 of Free Agency, and he was limited by players who were not scooped up by contenders and could offer more money. In that regard, his choices were always limited.

If a team makes the correct market based decisions, in an early rebuild, the choices literally make themselves. Any young NBA intern could do Perry's job right now. However, it's wait and see down the road whether hes a Good GM or not.

He's not making his bad situations worse, that's all anyone can ask for at this stage. Since it's a huge relative improvement to that idiot Phil Jackson, it does look like super star stuff to some in contrast. It's not hard to look good when the guy before you was an idiot. God Bless Phil Jackson the coach, but running this team, he was truly out of his depth.


his tenure starts this offseason with the 9th pick, make it count.

Perry didn't have to trade melo, it's not like SUGE Knight came to his office with demands.

I would have giving cleveland, Frank/willy/1st rnd and whatever else they wanted (aside from KP) for Kyrie

Kyrie/THJ/Melo/KP/Noah and you would have still been able to get BURKE/Bease/jack

Phil did not inherit a bad team, Like perry, he made a trade that didn't solve any problems.

Perry did make a bad situation worse, he got rid of one disgruntle player(melo) that resulted in having 2 disgruntle players(noah and willy) and Noah's contract is 10x worse then melo's, and he's not even fckng playing which hurts even more. Now they're sitting there scratching their heads like (what do we do now)

His tenure started one second after he signed his contract, he's already been involved in FA and trade deadlines.

The fact that Perry has to answer to mills, he's more of an consultant than an actual GM, the same roll MILLs had when phil was here.

we never associated any moves under phil as a mills trade or mills signing.

Why do you think that is?

The only reason Mills has a job is because he's Dolan's BOY, that's his main qualifications, and don't act like you don't know that.

You don't think that's a problem?


Seriously if no other team in the NBA would hire you in any capacity you shouldn't be the president or GM of an NBA team. This is why I'm so negative and have no faith in this franchise. If this guy has the final say what chance does Perry have to build a team. Why was he cap strapping the team with Hardaway before iring a GM, thats insane

How do you know no other team would hire him? HOw do you know if he interviewed with another, or had any desire to work in another city?
How was he “strapping the team” with Timmy? What other free agent moves were prevented by his salary?
I realize not everyone loves Tim, but Just wondering what his signing prevented?

We have sucked for this guys entire tenure but lets pretend he will turn this team into a winner.
On Hardaway jr what president makes major FA signings before hiring a GM, thats insane. We don't know what moves the Hardaway contract will stop us from making because we are capped out with no hope of signing anyone because we had to have an 18 million dollar below league average starting SG. All Hardaway does is clog the roster. Frank has always looked like a SG to me because of his subpar ball handling and slow decision making. At the 2 some those of those flaws are masked. All Frank would need to do is improve his spot up shooting and he would become the perfect sidekick for ball dominant PG's that are all over the NBA. We could move Hardaway to the bench as an expensive 6th man, or play him at the 3 making us way to small. Hardaway isn't a bad player by any means but he kills roster flexibility. This is the thing that drives me mad when people talk about a rebuild. Does it make any sense while the team is rebuilding to cap your team out. The only way I sign someone long-term is if they are legit rotation players on team friendly deals or max FA's. Anyone else is just a waste of resources.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Early Kudos to Perry

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.