[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2018 Restricted Free Agent delights
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
2/23/2018  12:02 PM
Personally I'd rather we didn't spend anything this offseason, however there are several obtainable restricted free agents this offseason. Due to cap/luxury tax considerations, these guys should be available if you do a Tim Jr and over pay. Anyone interested in any of these?:

Aaron Gordon (Would mean moving KP over to C)
Clint Capella (I think he's probably just a product of D'Antoni's system to be honest, along with playing with CP3 and co)
Jabari Parker
Marcus Smart

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/23/2018  2:59 PM
smackeddog wrote:Personally I'd rather we didn't spend anything this offseason, however there are several obtainable restricted free agents this offseason. Due to cap/luxury tax considerations, these guys should be available if you do a Tim Jr and over pay. Anyone interested in any of these?:

Clint Capella (I think he's probably just a product of D'Antoni's system to be honest, along with playing with CP3 and co)
Jabari Parker
Marcus Smart

Not sure who is opting in and who is not. Assume Baker and Kanter opt in, KOQ opts out, plus a 1st round pick.

Knicks would have about $99M in salary with cap at $108M, so ~$9M to spend.

Pretty much all of those guys would be off the list, maybe Parker would want a 1 year deal if he starts and gets mucho playing time.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Mike1989
Member: #8627

2/23/2018  4:03 PM
smackeddog wrote:Personally I'd rather we didn't spend anything this offseason, however there are several obtainable restricted free agents this offseason. Due to cap/luxury tax considerations, these guys should be available if you do a Tim Jr and over pay. Anyone interested in any of these?:

Jabari Parker
Marcus Smart

I personally would not want Smart, he's not the type of guard we need.

I would be hesitant at giving Capella a pay day because if he is a product of D'Antoni's system, teams aren't going to be lining up to trade for him.

Parker is a decent option because he can score and his injuries might lower his value and the Bucks' desire to match offers for him. Problem is can he stay healthy and productive? If he can, he's worth the investment because he could slot in at SF if KP stays at PF, or he could play PF if KP moves to C, or we can go with those rotations anyway.

Gordon has appeal because of how he is playing this year but I think his price tag is going to be a bit rich for us unless we can clear cap space to get him, and even then I can see Orlando matching any offer for him. So unless we could pull off a sign and trade, which would likely include us sending Frank and/or this year's first round pick, then I think he isn't a realistic option. As for his position, his shooting has improved significantly this season and so has his scoring, so potentially he could have a better time at SF than he did in previous seasons due to that improvement.

smackeddog
2/23/2018  4:03 PM
martin wrote:

Jabari Parker
Marcus Smart

Not sure who is opting in and who is not. Assume Baker and Kanter opt in, KOQ opts out, plus a 1st round pick.

Knicks would have about $99M in salary with cap at $108M, so ~$9M to spend.

Pretty much all of those guys would be off the list, maybe Parker would want a 1 year deal if he starts and gets mucho playing time.

I think we could clear a max slot (assuming kanter and koq opt out), plus a trade of a vet. I agree though, I’d rather wait this offseason out. I haven’t really seen enough of Aaron Gordon, but I’m curious about him

smackeddog
2/23/2018  4:07 PM
Mike1989 wrote:

Jabari Parker
Marcus Smart

I would be hesitant at giving Capella a pay day because if he is a product of D'Antoni's system, teams aren't going to be lining up to trade for him.

Parker is a decent option because he can score and his injuries might lower his value and the Bucks' desire to match offers for him. Problem is can he stay healthy and productive? If he can, he's worth the investment because he could slot in at SF if KP stays at PF, or he could play PF if KP moves to C, or we can go with those rotations anyway.

Gordon has appeal because of how he is playing this year but I think his price tag is going to be a bit rich for us unless we can clear cap space to get him, and even then I can see Orlando matching any offer for him. So unless we could pull off a sign and trade, which would likely include us sending Frank and/or this year's first round pick, then I think he isn't a realistic option. As for his position, his shooting has improved significantly this season and so has his scoring, so potentially he could have a better time at SF than he did in previous seasons due to that improvement.

I do wonder if Gordon will be available (as in the magic don’t match if he’s offered a max by another team) if the magic draft another front court player, they already have Jonathon Isaac from last years draft

Mike1989
Member: #8627

2/23/2018  4:13 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Mike1989 wrote:

Jabari Parker
Marcus Smart

I do wonder if Gordon will be available (as in the magic don’t match if he’s offered a max by another team) if the magic draft another front court player, they already have Jonathon Isaac from last years draft

True, it is possible that the Magic decide not to match if let's say they draft Bagley or Porter. At that point they have Isaac and Bagley or Porter penciled into their forward spots. That potentially frees up money for them to extend Hezonja to be that backup PF, a position he seems to do well in. So I could see a scenario where they decide to move on from Gordon and try to organize a sign-and-trade deal for him, but depending on how the lottery falls I could see them deciding to upgrade their center position or point guard position rather than drafting another forward. At the minute I think Jackson fits the bill for what their front office typically look for.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

2/24/2018  3:19 AM

Jabari Parker
Marcus Smart

Gordon and Parker will get matched. Even if it forces a big cap hit/cash hit on the respective team, they'll still match.

Parker ( and Embiid) make some interesting test cases on the argument about "Contract Tolling" i.e. should a player receive service time for being injured all season long. What about if he's injured during the draft phase. Some execs around the league believe injured players should only get half a year of service time if they are injured all season long. Others argue there should be two different tracks for service time, one for the purposes of garnering future benefits/pension. The other for free agency. ( i.e. the 76ers benefited from Dario Saric being overseas, they didn't take a cap / cash hit of any kind, Saric could develop elsewhere and his contract status tolled as an international player, however the argument is since the franchise, and by extension, the league benefits, should Saric receive service time for being stashed. The difference would be when his career would be over, if he was a 10 year NBA veteran versus an 8 year one)

Capella is going to be some push/pull. How he does in the playoffs, how the big man market collapses in the offseason and what Chris Paul does (leaves or not) are going to be major factors. My guess is Morey will let him walk.

Smart is someone Boston just won't keep. Maybe they can get one more year out of him with his tender. He can't shoot. That's going to hurt his market a decent chunk. Then again he can defend the wing. That will balance that out a little.

I don't think Smart and/or Capella would be good fits for the resource push for the Knicks.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

2/24/2018  8:23 AM

Jabari Parker
Marcus Smart

Don't think we can afford any of those guys. Kanter or Baker not goimg anywhere. Best thing is to continue the path to 2020. Sign deals like that of Beasley. Another lottery year.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
2018 Restricted Free Agent delights

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy