[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Fan's scouting report on Mudiay
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/14/2018  12:02 PM
Its always telling to see what fans from the team say about the player traded.

Here are the points I would say are universally agreed on by Nugget fans.

Positives:
Good kid. Likable player. Easy to root for.
Hard worker.
Exceptional athletic player

Negatives:
Low BB IQ.
Should have played under Larry. China regressed his IQ rather than improve it.
In 3 years has not developed consistent form on his jumper.

Outlook:
Here is the mix. The trend seems to be if Mudiay could be in a better spot where his BB IQ could be groomed and improved on he could be an excellent player. However most all agree it wasnt going to happen in Denver.

He's got the motor, the body, and the heart to be a good NBA player, but his skill set is woefully underdeveloped.

From what I had seen he was just not a good NBA player. AT all. What I have heard from his fans and supports is that is correct. However his athleticism and persona make him well worth taking a flier on seeing if we can straighten him out.

My take on the trade hasnt changed much. Not high on him as a player but the trade itself is great. We were not resigning McD and he had totally faded. Taking a look at a 21 year old athletic guard for a year is good job but the GM. Probably much to do about nothing but he's very young and we have seen guys blossom with a change of scenery. OF course the Knicks have never been that scene, however the Knicks have also never invested anything in these kinds of players.

Here' a few of the sites I poked around on:

https://www.reddit.com/r/denvernuggets/comments/7w81wz/emmanuel_mudiay_appreciation_thread/
https://www.reddit.com/r/denvernuggets/comments/7w77l7/denver_is_trading_emmanuel_mudiay_to_new_york/
http://nuggets.proboards.com/board/11/nuggets-talk

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
2/14/2018  12:29 PM
I don’t understand the reason for Mudiay. The Knicks make no sense at. They just took Ntlikina and changed his entire role. Don’t think it won’t stunt Ntlikina’s development.
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/14/2018  12:32 PM
I still think he can become a very good rotation player. I still expect Ntilikina to be the long-term starting PG, but Mudiay can come off the bench as 3rd guard and break down defenses and be a solid playmaker. I don't expect much, but we need improved playmaking and athleticism in the rotation and i think Mudiay can provide that.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/14/2018  12:34 PM
That's my take. We only gave up McDermott. I wish we kept the second rounder, but whatever. He's not fully formed, but he's been making small improvements. Who knows? Years ago we took a flyer on a guy like Kurt Thomas, who was let go after his rookie season in Miami, and he became a valuable player for us. I have no expectations one way or the other
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/14/2018  12:44 PM
Vmart wrote:I don’t understand the reason for Mudiay. The Knicks make no sense at. They just took Ntlikina and changed his entire role. Don’t think it won’t stunt Ntlikina’s development.
that makes no sense. When the Knicks drafted Frank was your expectation he was going to be plugged in at PG for the next 15 years? He's 19. He's a high ceiling project. His upside is a pass first PG who can defend 4 positions and knock down big shots. His downside is Andre Robertson. Who knows? He could be an AK-47 type of guy at PG. Can you imagine that next to KP and others? That is worth risking the pick on. I think its likely, I just hope it happens

This is the part of the process where you gather talent. Knicks are looking a group of players worth keeping around together. Why do fans think that search happens in one summer?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/14/2018  12:47 PM
Vmart wrote:I don’t understand the reason for Mudiay. The Knicks make no sense at. They just took Ntlikina and changed his entire role. Don’t think it won’t stunt Ntlikina’s development.

For me the question is: Is Frank 100% ready to be the full time PG for the Knicks? If not, when? I doubt Jack will be on the team next year. So you are down to a 1 year look at Mudiay and Trey with Frank as the long term guy.

When Trey came on Frank pretty much still got 20 minutes a game. Same with the addition of Mudiay. So at least from a minutes perspective, they are doing the same things with Frank.

Why don't you think Frank can develop with other PGs on the team?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/14/2018  12:55 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:That's my take. We only gave up McDermott. I wish we kept the second rounder, but whatever.

We didn't lose a 2nd, but swapped rights from LAC's #2 to Portland's #2 (from DEN). If season ended today, that means dropping from pick 45 to 47.

Cost is definitely a reason to be happy with the trade - like it's been said, only gave up McDermott, who was not a long-term piece anyways. Even if it fails, this is a great roll of the dice.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/14/2018  12:58 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:That's my take. We only gave up McDermott. I wish we kept the second rounder, but whatever.

We didn't lose a 2nd, but swapped rights from LAC's #2 to Portland's #2 (from DEN). If season ended today, that means dropping from pick 45 to 47.

Cost is definitely a reason to be happy with the trade - like it's been said, only gave up McDermott, who was not a long-term piece anyways. Even if it fails, this is a great roll of the dice.

The pick has been a point of confusion. The latest reports say we gave up the lowest of our second-rounders in the upcoming draft.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/14/2018  1:05 PM
Say what you want about knicks FO, but turning Melo into Kanter, Mudiay, and a high 2nd round pick is quite an accomplishment under the circumstances.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/14/2018  1:23 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:

The pick has been a point of confusion. The latest reports say we gave up the lowest of our second-rounders in the upcoming draft.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Damn, looks like you're right - that pick is going to Dallas. Ah well - still a gamble I take. Thought we bought a $5 lotto ticket for an expiring coupon. Turns out we spent 50 cents.

At least we still have Chicago's.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/14/2018  1:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/14/2018  1:29 PM

Scott Perry didn't draft Frank, the last regime did. Perhaps, like some on this site feel, myself included, Frank has not been impressive at at all and Perry is still looking for a pg prospect which also explains Trey Burkes presence...For all the the Low BB IQ theories and that Mudiay doesn't look like a basketball player, he still looks more impressive than Frank does at this point...IMO.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/14/2018  1:39 PM
fishmike wrote:
that makes no sense. When the Knicks drafted Frank was your expectation he was going to be plugged in at PG for the next 15 years? He's 19. He's a high ceiling project. His upside is a pass first PG who can defend 4 positions and knock down big shots. His downside is Andre Robertson. Who knows? He could be an AK-47 type of guy at PG. Can you imagine that next to KP and others? That is worth risking the pick on. I think its likely, I just hope it happens

This is the part of the process where you gather talent. Knicks are looking a group of players worth keeping around together. Why do fans think that search happens in one summer?

Do you mean Roberson? Funny, I said that was Frank ceiling on another thread, which btw IS a guy that can defend 4 positions. Agree that NO ONE knows what Frank will turn out to be.

I like Mudiay. Think he will improve, like all young players, as he simplifies his game. I liked Buckets too, would have preferred giving up a second, which we did, plus a guy like KO who has outplayed his contract. Dont think Doug would have had a higher offer than the 4.5 that he was due to get. But who cares, agree that its worth a look and see if he can step up his game.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/14/2018  3:40 PM
Mundiay is an opportunity.
You be "lucky" you need to create chances. You do it with picks.
Frank was seen by knicks as having a high ceiling. If Frank played in High school last season with his class, what might that have looked like?
Some players have explosive scoring and little else, he has strong fundamentals. He is not a great story for his year. Mitchell has been. Dennis smith, not a great rookie. Some thought his upside was ROY.
Back on Mudiay, its like Derrick Rose, we get a good look and an opportunity. Denver got lucky with Murray so they are moving on. Not much trade value for Mundiay so we got him cheap. Maybe we get lucky with him and Frank is a bust. In the end we then created our own luck.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/15/2018  10:55 AM
Pick your PG

All of the stats below are based on their rookie year production.

1. 29.3mpg 14.8ppg, 4.9apg, 3.9rpg, .394fg%, .317 3pt%, 2.9TO/g. (age 20)

2. 27.2mpg, 12.1ppg, 4.4apg, 3.5rpg, .366fg%, .305 3pt%, 1.8TO/g. (age 21)

3. 18.6mpg, 5.9ppg, 3.8apg, 2.0rpg, .420fg%, .225 3pt%, 1.7TO/g. (age 20)

4. 30.1mpg, 11.9ppg, 5.6apg, 3.3rpg, .391fg%, .358 3pt% 2.3TO/g. (age 21)

5. 32.3mpg, 12.8ppg, 5.7apg, 3.0rpg, .380fg%, .330 3pt%, 1.9TO/g. (Age 21)

6. 30.4mpg, 12.8ppg, 5.5apg, 3.4rpg, .364fg%, .319 3pt%, 3.2TO/g. (Age 19)

If this is all you had to work with... which would be busts, which would be future all-stars?

Who are these mystery rookies?
1. Dennis Smith Jr.
2. Kemba Walker
3. Baron Davis
4. Raymond Felton
5. Trey Burke
6. Emmanuel Mudiay

Some players get better, some stay the same, some seemingly get worse or have all opportunities taken away from them.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Fan's scouting report on Mudiay

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy