Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/15/2018  11:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2018  11:35 AM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:He was a bad pick at 8. But that's all water under the bridge. Right now he's a possibly fringe NBA player. Sorry nix, u need more than d at the pg position. I'm not really seeing the bball iq which his proponents say is really high.

Washington Wizards fans were saying similar things about Otto Porter two years ago. Now he's a Max player. It's way too early to tell if it's a bad pick.

Dont believe its unfair to say that while Frank might turn out to be a good player, the Knicks would have been better served drafting a more NBA ready player, considering our needs. And maybe taking Frank in the second round,if still there.

Baker was older, but he was undrafted. Cant really say that Frank's rookie season as the 8th pick, was remarkably better.

Also worth noting that the best move to the rim Frank made as a Knick was when he played off the ball. Id rather Frank turn to a good SG than one coach after another trying to prove they can turn Frank into a great starting PG.

What? Why are you drafting a more NBA ready player? This is not a playoff team that needs to plug 1 hole in their rotation. High ceiling potential is exactly what the Knicks need IMHO. Same as when you draft a guy like KP.

And do you really think Frank would have lasted anywhere near the second round?

Frank isnt playing well enough to start on a division one college team, let alone the NBA. Wouldnt have surprised me. He is a project with a capital P.Most PGs taken this high can generate some offense when needed. Frank cant and thats not why he was drafted.

Knicks dont have all the time in the world to wait on Frank. Starting PG is the most demanding position in the league. Time doesnt stand still while Frank summons up the courage to go for a layup. His development isnt happening in a vaccuum.

KP was thought to be a project a 4, but his height meant he could have an impact sooner rather than later, with his skill set. Drafting a PG with little or no offense at 8, is different. Pairing KP with a PG who could have filled the starting job sooner would have been smarter, because they would have been able to keep other teams from zeroing in on him with an offense they couldnt ignore.

AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/15/2018  11:42 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:He was a bad pick at 8. But that's all water under the bridge. Right now he's a possibly fringe NBA player. Sorry nix, u need more than d at the pg position. I'm not really seeing the bball iq which his proponents say is really high.

Washington Wizards fans were saying similar things about Otto Porter two years ago. Now he's a Max player. It's way too early to tell if it's a bad pick.

Dont believe its unfair to say that while Frank might turn out to be a good player, the Knicks would have been better served drafting a more NBA ready player, considering our needs. And maybe taking Frank in the second round,if still there.

Baker was older, but he was undrafted. Cant really say that Frank's rookie season as the 8th pick, was remarkably better.

Also worth noting that the best move to the rim Frank made as a Knick was when he played off the ball. Id rather Frank turn to a good SG than one coach after another trying to prove they can turn Frank into a great starting PG.

What? Why are you drafting a more NBA ready player? This is not a playoff team that needs to plug 1 hole in their rotation. High ceiling potential is exactly what the Knicks need IMHO. Same as when you draft a guy like KP.

Frank isnt playing well enough to start on a division one college team, let alone the NBA. Wouldnt have surprised me. He is a project with a capital P.Most PGs taken this high can generate some offense when needed. Frank cant and thats not why he was drafted.

Knicks dont have all the time in the world to wait on Frank. Starting PG is the most demanding position in the league. Time doesnt stand still while Frank summons up the courage to go for a layup. His development isnt happening in a vaccuum.

KP was thought to be a project a 4, but his height meant he could have an impact sooner rather than later, with his skill set. Drafting a PG with little or no offense at 8, is different. Pairing KP with a PG who could have filled the starting job sooner would have been smarter, because they would have been able to keep other teams from zeroing in on him with an offense they couldnt ignore.

You are really out of your mind with this comment. Not good enough to start division 1? Frank would be a very good college player right now, dominant in fact. Comments like these lose any credibility big time. I can no longer respond to this type of nonsense. Just mindless posting at its finest.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/15/2018  11:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2018  11:54 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Uptown wrote:

+ 1000....My biggest problem with this pick is there were better prospects at 8 that we could have gone with....The fact that Dolan waited until after the draft to fire phil was assinine...Perry should have been able to pick his own player, hence the fact that since he got here, he has been tyring to find pgs (Burke, Jack, Sessions, Mudiay) etc...

Better prospects? Only Mitchell. Monk has been bad. Some of you guys like Dennis Smith because he gets his stats, but Frank has been superior in real plus minus, wins added, among other advanced stats. He also outplayed Smith in the head to head. But you guys love stats and they matter most, so sure Smith is better in those areas.

Speaking of stats, you are using numbers to try and prove that Frank is a better player than Smith which is pure nonsense....Advanced stats and the like are not the end all be all...they are there for support...I actually watch games, and I've watched Smith play at least 20 times with the Mavs and he is a far better player than Frank. Not even close...

IMO, Frank has end of the 1st round talent. Josh Hart, who was picked at the end of the 1st round is a better prospect than Frank and I said as much on draft night...

Hart is 23 years old. Frank is 19. Can't even compare them. Every scout and analyst put Frank in the top of the draft. You are not smarter than those guys when it comes to evaluating talent. I have watched Smith and have not been impressed with him from what i have seen. Empty stats.

True...because scouts have never been wrong about foreign prospects!! Lets stay in France, the scouts overvaulued French Toast Weiss big time and they totally missed on Parker. It happens....Smith plays like a modern day lead gaurd. He puts constant pressure on the defense, is in attack mode often, he gets two feet in the paint which draws in the defense, gets hockey assists, and the defense has to account for him at all times....No, his stats are not overwhelming but what he has done this season, has been impressive. And just think, he's only going to be better because he's only 19

GustavBahler

2/15/2018  11:53 AM
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

You are really out of your mind with this comment. Not good enough to start division 1? Frank would be a very good college player right now, dominant in fact. Comments like these lose any credibility big time. I can no longer respond to this type of nonsense. Just mindless posting at its finest.

Oh please. A starting PG who is afraid to go for a layup, telegraphs all too many passes, would be coming off the bench. Why? Because he is only 19. Remember that one? Only your favorite excuse. Keep hearing Frank would be a freshman in college. Shows the making of an NBA player, but he also often plays like a college freshman.

I can see it, sorry you cant.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/15/2018  11:57 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Oh please. A starting PG who is afraid to go for a layup, telegraphs all too many passes, would be coming off the bench. Why? Because he is only 19. Remember that one? Only your favorite excuse. Keep hearing Frank would be a freshman in college. Shows the making of an NBA player, but he also often plays like a college freshman.

Sure, he only helped lead his team to Championship series last year. Your hate for Frank aside, do you still think we should avoid the tank? You still sound like you want us to go all in for the 8th playoff spot?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/15/2018  12:03 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Sure, he only helped lead his team to Championship series last year. Your hate for Frank aside, do you still think we should avoid the tank? You still sound like you want us to go all in for the 8th playoff spot?

How do you get avoiding the tank from his reponse? Bottom line is Frank should not have been the pick at 8! phil should have never been allowed to make the pick if Dolan knew he was going to fire him...Hopefully, Perry has a clue this summer...

GustavBahler

2/15/2018  12:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2018  12:10 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

The only thing I hate is hearing posters spend so much time defending a truly underwhelming season to this point for such a high draft pick.

If Frank's accomplishments in France carried any weight, we would be seeing it here. This was supposed to be a big reason why he was drafted.

If your default excuse is that Frank is only 19, dont be insulted if someone points out when he plays like he is. Cant have it both ways.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/15/2018  12:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2018  12:11 PM
The knicks play frank because they want to tank, you don't play him a single minute if your trying to win. Maybe if we had 3 all stars on the team you can hide all his flaws, but with the talent he has around him, he's been completely exposed
ES
Knixkik
USA
2/15/2018  12:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2018  12:15 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

FYI, he started on a Division 1 french team as an 18 year old, which is viewed as much more competitive than Division 1 NCAA. It's a grown man's league that rarely starts or plays young players. So no, he wouldn't be coming off the bench in college. Whatever you are seeing apparently is way too advanced for the basketball world.

GustavBahler

2/15/2018  12:19 PM
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

FYI, he started on a Division 1 french team as an 18 year old, which is viewed as much more competitive than Division 1 NCAA. It's a grown man's league that rarely starts or plays young players. So no, he wouldn't be coming off the bench in college. Whatever you are seeing apparently is way too advanced for the basketball world.

If that were true, I would expect to see Frank performing on par with some of the better 19 year olds in this draft, given his pro experience, that they do not have.

Im going by results, not hypotheticals.

BigDaddyG

2/15/2018  12:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2018  12:32 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

The only thing I hate is hearing posters spend so much time defending a truly underwhelming season to this point for such a high draft pick.

If Frank's accomplishments in France carried any weight, we would be seeing it here. This was supposed to be a big reason why he was drafted.

If your default excuse is that Frank is only 19, dont be insulted if someone points out when he plays like he is. Cant have it both ways.

The "we don't have time" comment. We have nothing but time for a minimum of two years. Frank's has shown plenty of flashes with his passing off the pick and roll, defense and vision. There are plenty of highlights videos for me to post to make my case. Frank has hit a rough patch. He's rookie. It happens. I can't deal with posters who are too shortsighted to see the forest from the trees. O f Frank is playing like this at this point next year, then there's is cause for concern. Frank is playing poorly now, yes. He has also played brilliantly at points. Can't call him a bust or a reach at this point. Development takes time. Good thing you weren't GM when the Mavs drafted Dirk.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
USA
2/15/2018  12:39 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

If that were true, I would expect to see Frank performing on par with some of the better 19 year olds in this draft, given his pro experience, that they do not have.

It is true, just do a little research if you need to see for yourself. Again, you are judging his stats compared to others. Among the PGs drafted in the top 10, Frank is both the best defensive player and best 3pt shooter. But because his defensive ability doesn't show up like points do, it has you a little confused about his impact compared to others. And i'm not saying he has been good. Just saying he is showing some things that many of us like, and don't necessary show up in his per game averages.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/15/2018  12:50 PM
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

anyone who watched Porter in his rookie year would have EASILY been able to tell he was bust, just like you can see with Frank now. A 3rd pick in the draft should be better than 2ppg and 35% or whatever he shot. Porter was a bad pick because there were better players after him. Bla bla bla....
Negatives only motivate Frank. He's one of those. Another reason (among 500 others) I think he's going to be a good player in the league and a winning player.

Otto Porter was an all american player at Gtown, so anyone who watches college basketball was able to see the prospect in live action could project what type of player he might turn out to be at the next level. Problem with Frank is there aint any references that we could rely on making him virtually unknown. None of us seen him play so we had to rely on some scouting reports and his 5 pts per game in Europe to project what he might or might not be...

simply not true, because against is peers Frank established himself to be elite.
Uptown you should really watch this closely:

That would be FRank the HS senior vs. his peers. Thats the tourney he carried that French team through and put him on the map.

Frank's freshman year in college was playing pro ball. Yes his stats were underwhelming. He also playing against pros and grown men. I also watched that final playoff game and was impressed with Frank's poise and play. Kid got drafted, takes the redeye back and lays it all on the court for a team we would never play for again. Says a lot and helped win me over.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/15/2018  12:51 PM
knicks1248 wrote:The knicks play frank because they want to tank, you don't play him a single minute if your trying to win. Maybe if we had 3 all stars on the team you can hide all his flaws, but with the talent he has around him, he's been completely exposed
so have you
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/15/2018  12:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2018  12:53 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

This may be true or may not be. IMO him playing against other college kids with less games, less travel and less wear and tear would only make him look better. His game fits college ball in the amount of systems they run instead of the more free flowing NBA.

But none of that means anything in the grad scheme of things regardless of whats true or not. Westbrook didn't start his freshman yr of college ball. Monk was dropping 40pt games as a freshman. Mitchell averaged less points his Sophmore then Monk did his freshman.

Mitchell also didn't start his freshman yr.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler

2/15/2018  12:54 PM
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

It is true, just do a little research if you need to see for yourself. Again, you are judging his stats compared to others. Among the PGs drafted in the top 10, Frank is both the best defensive player and best 3pt shooter. But because his defensive ability doesn't show up like points do, it has you a little confused about his impact compared to others. And i'm not saying he has been good. Just saying he is showing some things that many of us like, and don't necessary show up in his per game averages.

As a defensive specialist, Frank would have been a good choice on a team that already had their PG of the future. The 8th pick should have gone for a player with some offense on tap. For an 8th pick, with pro experience, Frank gives up the ball like a 19 year old.

Low first round pick maybe, but considering we needed a stud PG like a you know what, I thought it was um..too "systemy" a pick.

For mostly a defensive specialist, who can dish, you dont draft that high when the cubbard is bare IMO.

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
2/15/2018  12:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2018  1:04 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

You can judge a players worth on the past if you haven't seen him. Kind of like if you are hiring someone and looking at their resume. Once he's with the company and you know him that takes far more weight. It's silly to cite this at this point.

Not saying he can't become a good player, but you want more than that at 8. Do you think any team would give up a first rounder in the top20 projected for him right now? That tells you how the investment of the 8th spot has depreciated thus far.

GustavBahler

2/15/2018  12:59 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

The "we don't have time" comment. We have nothing but time for a minimum of two years. Frank's has shown plenty of flashes with his passing off the pick and roll, defense and vision. There are plenty of highlights videos for me to post to make my case. Frank has hit a rough patch. He's rookie. It happens. I can't deal with posters who are too shortsighted to see the forest from the trees. O f Frank is playing like this at this point next year, then there's is cause for concern. Frank is playing poorly now, yes. He has also played brilliantly at points. Can't call him a bust or a reach at this point. Development takes time. Good thing you weren't GM when the Mavs drafted Dirk.

Again, Dirk isnt a PG. Frank isnt even comfortable trying a layup.We need a quality PG to develop on KP's timetable, not Frank's. Still hasnt been determined that Frank is a PG. Meanwhile, we still need a good, young, starting PG.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/15/2018  1:06 PM
Uptown wrote:

+ 1000....My biggest problem with this pick is there were better prospects at 8 that we could have gone with....The fact that Dolan waited until after the draft to fire phil was assinine...Perry should have been able to pick his own player, hence the fact that since he got here, he has been tyring to find pgs (Burke, Jack, Sessions, Mudiay) etc...

In my opinion Phil's coaching instinct was his demise. His job was to mend the fence between KP and his coach. He took it personal when KP blew him off. A coach would not want a player who ignores him. Not saying I agree with Phil, "But I understand".........
with that in mind, and that Phil just opted in his last two years, I kind of give Dolan Credit to signing off on his "firing" as that's a high profile dude he hired, had to admit he was wrong, chose KP over Phil, and let Mills step up and hire a normal kind of basketball guy and have normal kind of Front office for a change!
I do not think Dolan has not meddled with the team in some time. Our decisions are "different" and have been for some time. Not that its all working out in the short term, but were we used to think short, we are now long term oriented.
With that in mind, the Draft process was well underway. Perry was hired mid July and took a few weeks to assemble his crew.
For an effective draft Perry would have had to been hired well in advanced of the draft and his scouts/assistants all bought together too.

What we don't talk about much here is Malik Monk who might have been more likely via discussions here and in the media who is shooting 33% and not doing all that great himself. To me most who were not on board with Frank before the draft were "I like DSjr, Monk and Mitchell". Reality is those who did so can lay claim to "I wanted Mitchell" but really you picked three guys to one.
"OK Nalod, so who did you pick? Frank?" Nalod don't make picks. Not my thing. I follow the draft, read up, then root for my guy. I profess no knowledge to scout.
If I choose to live with who we got, that's it. Im rooting for Frank. Every year some other guy is better short term, and another long. For another, that "other" might be Frank. We'll see.

Kid is 19, a year younger than any of the youngest. We obviously could have picked a more ready player. To a fault, we took one with a higher upside than some others or what was perceived at the time.

"Perceived at the time".. That's how it works. Its how you make your picks. I give years to evaluate trades and picks.
What about melo? Knicks won the trade but both teams lost the war. neither were elevated by the trade.

BigDaddyG

2/15/2018  1:14 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Again, Dirk isnt a PG. Frank isnt even comfortable trying a layup.We need a quality PG to develop on KP's timetable, not Frank's. Still hasnt been determined that Frank is a PG. Meanwhile, we still need a good, young, starting PG.

And I'll keep repeating: "It's still to early to declare anything in less than a year." Doesn't matter if Dirk wasn't point guard. Where talking about player development. People were questioning if Dirk was a starting forward. What is KP's timeline anyway? Good young point guard's usually need time to develop. It sounds like it's YOUR timeline that your concerned about. OK, forget about Dirk. What about Conley, Holiday, Lowry etc.
Frank the Blank

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy