[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks trading Willy to the Hornets
Author Thread
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/7/2018  12:39 PM
KnickDanger wrote:I'm not in love with the trade but by the tone of many of these posts you'd think we traded Patrick Ewing for two second rounders. Willy was a dog this year and placing the "blame" on management is misplaced in my opinion. Not that they are the Celtics front office or anything.

their attention went to trading the young player with the reasonable contract? it didn't go to getting assets for Lee, or KOQ (who is probably gone next year), or any of our other vets? It went to dealing one of management's "core pieces" and we got two second rounders for that guy???

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/7/2018  12:40 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Clean wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:I have no idea what people are complaining about. We finally have a management team that knows how to deal. We got Kanter McDermott etc for Melo and we got a player AND 2 picks for No defense Willy????

Talk about value. Willy was what... a 2nd round pick right? Why do people feel that with 2 second round picks that Knocks mgmt cannot find another Dotson type with a bigger body.

I for one LOVE this trade

I agree. I thought it was weird people in this thread keep saying this is a terrible trade when Willy himself was a 2nd Rounder. I could understand if he proved himself but he has not done that yet. From the start of this year I wanted no drama. Willy has been harping on playing time the whole year. So I have no problem for them giving him the boot. Noah is next.

oh yeah because I'm sure the Spurs would have loved getting two seconds for Ginobilli

One guy is a hall of famer who played major minutes from the start and the other guy sits on the bench for his NBA and national team. Not really an apples to apples comparison.

just because someone was picked with a second rounder doesn't mean you should be happy that you got two for him, that's all i'm saying. once you make to the league it doesn't matter where you were picked

Gotcha. But that's the market. It's about what Jahlil Okafor fetched and Willy's agent did us no favors by leaking his trade request to the media. I would've preferred that we traded KOQ, but Willy got outplayed. Personally, I would've told Willy's team to STFU and wait his turn, but Perry went this direction. Does this mean we're resigning KOQ? I hope not. Add this to the Elfrid Payton/Biyombo rumors and I'm a little confused about the path we're heading.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/7/2018  12:46 PM
Good look on those 2nd rounders we owe. Gotta pay the bills!!!
Can't judge a player on his high water mark. Like a stock, "Once worth $100, now its $35, gonna wait till it gets back".
Its worth what its worth that day. Willy could not beat KOQ. Get real, the kid does not have the work ethic.
Read some threads from Charlotte fans and they are not too happy. The glut of bigs on that team is not released. They blew Lotto picks on Cody Zeller and on Frank Kaminsky.
That's some stupid shyt there. They made playoffs last year. WE have not sniffed it in 5 years.
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

2/7/2018  12:52 PM
The market for Willy was at an all time low right now...no?

Not able to get much playing time after having a very decent rookie year... He's hyped as one of our building blocks and barely plays at all?

I'm assuming that there are things going on behind the scenes which we were not privy to RE Willy's development, but we did nothing to make it possible for us to get a good deal for him.

This seems like more of a player dump than anything else. Strange move, with little in return. We can only hope that Charlotte blows up their team at some point soon and the #2s become more valuable, but this seems like a lame trade to me.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

2/7/2018  12:54 PM
This is a fail in my book. Why trade someone who is

(a) cost-controlled for several years
(b) young and skilled
(c) fills a need since your star player is out for a year
(d) can likely increase his value with playing time so you can get even more for him if you don't think he's part of the future.

There was no downside to keeping Willy. And the upside was significant. Fail.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
2/7/2018  12:58 PM
stanleybostitch wrote:This is a fail in my book. Why trade someone who is

(b) young and skilled
(d) can likely increase his value with playing time so you can get even more for him if you don't think he's part of the future.

Exactly! Perry and Mills are way over their heads. Now we know, Perry another in a long list of ****ty GM's. Damn! Another FO thats going to **** up this team for the next 5 yrs. Say bye bye KP. No way is he going to stay in this **** hole. I don't blame him.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

2/7/2018  12:59 PM
I have zero hard-feelings on this trade.

IMO Willy is significantly overrated by most Knick fans and him being 1st team all rookie last year putting up virtually meaningless stats on another crap Knick team doesn't mean much to me.

When I watch Willy I see a plodding, nailed to the floor big who can't defend, can't shoot outside of 15 feet and can't protect the rim.

This type of player - regardless of his small deal - really isn't worth much in todays NBA.

Then if you consider the Knicks already have 2....maybe 3...maybe 4 other players who are better than Willy (Kanter/KOQ/Noah/KP) at the same position - the deal (Willy) is just meh.

Kanter has a big deal and we are probably stuck with him but he is 25 and 3X the player Willy is. KOQ - remains to be seen what we do with him but he is also 3X the player Willy is and it's possible under a distressed FA market this summer - we could bring him back on a lower than anticipated deal.

I think I've seen positive trade reviews for Knicks from Lowe, Herring and Marks already --- so that is promising.

Can't wait to see Willy eventually ride bench in Charlotte behind myriad of Hornet centers - his D and lack of rim protection will be ongoing issue for playing time.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
2/7/2018  1:00 PM
This organization sucks. I knew they weren’t rebuilding next up trade pick to get rid of Noah. I’m done with this team. No f’ing clue.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/7/2018  1:03 PM
Perry it seems to me is going to make a CLEAN BREAK from Phil’s direction. He has a PERFECT opportunity for that now. It’s not about the Willy deal in a vacuum. We’ve gotta look at this from a new GM perspective. Perry is most likely going to remake this roster now. Mills may have been holding him back from a drastic change of direction pre KP Injury but now things are different.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/7/2018  1:05 PM
nixluva wrote:Perry it seems to me is going to make a CLEAN BREAK from Phil’s direction. He has a PERFECT opportunity for that now. It’s not about the Willy deal in a vacuum. We’ve gotta look at this from a new GM perspective. Perry is most likely going to remake this roster now. Mills may have been holding him back from a drastic change of direction pre KP Injury but now things are different.
Not sure. Willy requested the trade. There maybe more moves coming.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/7/2018  1:06 PM
Well I guess it was determined he was not part of the future. We gave up 2 second rounders we get 2 second rounders---they could be valuable in those years-- a wash trade.
RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/7/2018  1:06 PM
Willy can't play the 4. No range.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/7/2018  1:07 PM
Vmart wrote:This organization sucks. I knew they weren’t rebuilding next up trade pick to get rid of Noah. I’m done with this team. No f’ing clue.

Might be those second round picks, which wouldnt bother me. Lets see if there are any other moves before the trade deadline.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/7/2018  1:10 PM
BigRedDog wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:This is a fail in my book. Why trade someone who is

(b) young and skilled

Exactly! Perry and Mills are way over their heads. Now we know, Perry another in a long list of ****ty GM's. Damn! Another FO thats going to **** up this team for the next 5 yrs. Say bye bye KP. No way is he going to stay in this **** hole. I don't blame him.

I am 100% in agreement. The more I stew over this BS trade, the more the Knick fan in me dies...

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
2/7/2018  1:12 PM
nixluva wrote:Perry it seems to me is going to make a CLEAN BREAK from Phil’s direction. He has a PERFECT opportunity for that now. It’s not about the Willy deal in a vacuum. We’ve gotta look at this from a new GM perspective. Perry is most likely going to remake this roster now. Mills may have been holding him back from a drastic change of direction pre KP Injury but now things are different.

This is the best way to look at it. The KP injury, while horrible, does create a lot of opportunity for Perry to set a better foundation than what he inherited and had to create on the fly.

it also should open up opportunity for Frank to step up. Dotson should get a longer look ROS.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

2/7/2018  1:13 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:I'm not in love with the trade but by the tone of many of these posts you'd think we traded Patrick Ewing for two second rounders. Willy was a dog this year and placing the "blame" on management is misplaced in my opinion. Not that they are the Celtics front office or anything.

their attention went to trading the young player with the reasonable contract? it didn't go to getting assets for Lee, or KOQ (who is probably gone next year), or any of our other vets? It went to dealing one of management's "core pieces" and we got two second rounders for that guy???

Their attention is on every call they get for whatever player. At that time they were getting their best offer for Willy so they made the trade but i'm sure they had other front office people right next to them taking calls on other players at the same time.

Gudris
Member: #6213

2/7/2018  1:14 PM
Willy is not NB player(mentally), he will be out of NBA in 3 years
frenchy00
Member: #7514

2/7/2018  1:16 PM
I expected to fetch more for Willy. At least in some type of package deal. Second round, even late first round picks generally don't excite me. Rarely do prospect drafted in this range find success. I have no faith in a second round pick being the all-star or near all star caliber player we should be looking to acquire. I would have liked the knicks to hold on to Willy, play him to build up his stock and then unload him for a better haul.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/7/2018  1:22 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:we got two seconds for a walking double double.......................... FUCK YOU YOU DUMB PRINCETON CUNTS

I think you meant sitting.

Immediate reaction was they're trying to honor the player's wishes...but, ya, that's something that is typically saved for vets. Seems a bit quick to pull the plug on Willy, especially with so many question marks surrounding our big man rotation, KOQ and Kanter both with opt-outs. Now that KP is out, thought this would be perfect opportunity to give him run.

I don't like the trade. I would not have made it. But I am not as confident as some of you are that this will actually come back to bite us.

Willy was just outplayed this year, did not seem to show the growth or effort on the court you'd expect for a young guy itchin for minutes. The fact that he's a 2nd year player and already requesting a trade, complaining about minutes, guess the FO just wanted to cut ties?

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/7/2018  1:24 PM
Andrew wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
Sources were saying that at least a dozen teams had interest in Willy; he had trade value. And if we're going to trade him, this is all we can get? Why not wait until closer to the deadline to get more value back. At least a future 1? Or how about playing him the rest of the season to develop?

I don't get it. This seems like a Dolan move, not a Perry move.

So what do you think....the Knicks took the worst deal that was offered to them? Sources said people were interested....not what they were offering.

What could have been worse than this..2 future g leaguers and a useless player

ES
Knicks trading Willy to the Hornets

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy