[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks ahead of the Class?
Author Thread
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/5/2004  10:50 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2004/09/05/short_division_lacks_answers/

Short division lacks answers
Are Knicks at head of remedial class?
By Shira Springer | September 5, 2004

With this city obsessed by a certain pinstriped baseball squad, another New York team with a bloated payroll comes to mind. Like the Yankees, the Knicks also are a divisional rival of their Boston counterpart. To the dismay of those trying to promote NBA basketball as a quality product, the Knicks and Celtics could easily find themselves battling for the Atlantic Division title come April. With a collection of teams in transition that also includes New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Toronto, the Atlantic could be the weakest division in the realigned NBA. Knicks president of basketball operations Isiah Thomas will leave the prognostications to reporters; he likes the athleticism and versatility of his roster. This offseason, he added rookie Trevor Ariza, Jamison Brewer, Jamal Crawford, and Jerome Williams. Gone are Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, and Frank Williams. And yet to re-sign is DerMarr Johnson.

"There are a lot of question marks on all the teams in this division," said Thomas. "Until we can figure it out, everybody is really starting from zero and I don't think there are any favorites. Everybody has just as good a shot to win the division as anyone else. There's still a lot of unknowns on our team. Not until you actually see them out on the floor can you assess what you need or what you have."

That said, Thomas acknowledged that the Knicks expect a lot from Michael Sweetney, Nazr Mohammed, and Stephon Marbury. Despite the fact that the US men's team left Athens with a bronze medal, Thomas believes the Olympic experience benefited Marbury more than any other player. While the point guard made a big impression by scoring 31 points (a US Olympic record) in the quarterfinals against Spain, Thomas was most pleased with Marbury's ability to play his best in a big-game setting.

"It was a very adverse situation and I thought it tested his leadership skills," said Thomas of the two-week Olympic tournament. "He learned some things about himself and about the game. The most important thing he learned was how to gain the trust of his teammates.

"When all of this started, he was just one of many. As the tournament progressed, he became someone that [coach] Larry [Brown] trusted and that his teammates trusted. It's a big-time responsibility, and I think that gave him more confidence and put him in a better position to come back and lead our team."

When it comes to recently re-signed free agent Vin Baker (two years, approximately $7 million), the expectations are much different. Thomas hopes the recovering alcoholic remains mentally and physically healthy; anything beyond that would be a bonus. After Baker and the Celtics reached a settlement last season, the former All-Star signed with New York on March 12 for the final 17 games of the regular season and what turned out to be one playoff series. Baker averaged 6.6 points and 4.1 rebounds in 18.4 minutes per game with the Knicks.

Baker should benefit from a full preseason with the team rather than acclimating himself during a playoff race.

"I like him as a person and I like him as a player," said Thomas. "He helped us a lot last year, and it was a difficult situation for him because he hadn't played in a while and everything that he was going through mentally. He's had a great summer. He's in great shape. He doesn't need to score 20 points and get 10 rebounds for us to be effective. Whatever he gives us will be a big boost.

"I just hope that he remains a healthy person. If he stays a healthy person, then we're OK. I don't like to see him battle with the alcoholism alone. He's a wonderful person. If he continues to do what he's been doing, we're happy with him. He's in a good place right now mentally and physically."
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/5/2004  11:16 AM
Good article. I think Isiah has turned a terrible lottery team into a team that can finish at the top of the division
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
9/5/2004  11:22 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Good article. I think Isiah has turned a terrible lottery team into a team that can finish at the top of the division

...with some major help from Bruce Ratner (NJN dismantling) and David Stern (Taking Miami away to a new division). Yes, it's good timing to be a knicks fan or executive. We'd be challenging for third if not for some very fortunate circumstances.
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/5/2004  11:33 AM
good to hear that the knicks expect a lot out of nazr and mike. I think its a no-brainer that they are the two main cogs in the frontcourt unless something isnt working.

i really believe the starting LU will be
Nazr
sweetney
thomas
crawford
marbury

with the older players backing up playing less minutes. i dont want KT taking 35 minutes anymore. while he's tough he knows how to position himself well and knows many nBA tricks it's not a pro-active move

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
9/5/2004  11:42 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

good to hear that the knicks expect a lot out of nazr and mike. I think its a no-brainer that they are the two main cogs in the frontcourt unless something isnt working.

i really believe the starting LU will be
Nazr
sweetney
thomas
crawford
marbury

with the older players backing up playing less minutes. i dont want KT taking 35 minutes anymore. while he's tough he knows how to position himself well and knows many nBA tricks it's not a pro-active move
I'd still start Kurt at C because he's the team's best low-post defender, but I wouldn't give him 35 mpg. I might give him closer to 27. I'd keep an open mind, though, during training camp and pre-season. If Nazy has improved his defense or if Baker's looking as good as people working with him say he is, I might start either of them instead of Kurt.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 09/05/2004 11:43:35]
BRIGGS
9/5/2004  1:30 PM
isiah has done a good job so far.

the players layden brought in his first year or so

andersen
weatherspoon
eilsey
[rice,longley?]

the players isiah brought in

marbury
Tim Thomas
Nazr
Crawford
Hardaway
ariza

did isiah move to quickly at times--absolutley he was a hair pin from trading for malik rose he should NOT have traded weatherspoon for moochie and shouldve insisted that lampe was not part of that marbury deal.
he did much better taking his time with the crawford deal and while he may have ended up giving things he didnt want to, the bottom line is he got the best player in the deal and was patient trying to get a better 1.

that being said we are lucky we are in the east and i have no idea what this team will do

i think it is reasonable to give isiah 2 more years to fully grade his work

RIP Crushalot😞
nykfan4life
Member: #742
USA
9/5/2004  2:43 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

andersen
weatherspoon
eilsey
[rice,longley?]

marbury
Tim Thomas
Nazr
Crawford
Hardaway
ariza

did isiah move to quickly at times--absolutley he was a hair pin from trading for malik rose he should NOT have traded weatherspoon for moochie and shouldve insisted that lampe was not part of that marbury deal.
he did much better taking his time with the crawford deal and while he may have ended up giving things he didnt want to, the bottom line is he got the best player in the deal and was patient trying to get a better 1.

that being said we are lucky we are in the east and i have no idea what this team will do

Not to mention the re-signing of KT, that was a mistake, because NY could've offered KT and Harrington to GS for Dampier. YOu can't tell me that GS wouldn't take two expiring contracts for Dampier, that would've been a done deal IMHO.
To go even further with all of this perhaps we could've dealt KT, Harrington, TT and even SA for Shaq, IT should've at least tried something like that for Shaq.
This team in the last two yrs has gone from a short team with all PF's to a little taller team to a short team again, but with all Guards.
I would have to say that having a payroll over a $100 million and having no real Superstar like a Shaq, a KG or even a Kobe to show for it is pretty sad.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/5/2004  3:07 PM
Posted by nykfan4life:
Posted by BRIGGS:

andersen
weatherspoon
eilsey
[rice,longley?]

marbury
Tim Thomas
Nazr
Crawford
Hardaway
ariza

Not to mention the re-signing of KT, that was a mistake, because NY could've offered KT and Harrington to GS for Dampier. YOu can't tell me that GS wouldn't take two expiring contracts for Dampier, that would've been a done deal IMHO.
To go even further with all of this perhaps we could've dealt KT, Harrington, TT and even SA for Shaq, IT should've at least tried something like that for Shaq.
This team in the last two yrs has gone from a short team with all PF's to a little taller team to a short team again, but with all Guards.
I would have to say that having a payroll over a $100 million and having no real Superstar like a Shaq, a KG or even a Kobe to show for it is pretty sad.

First of all, how was signing KT a mistake. The guy averages 11/8 and we're getting him for a reasonable price. He is really the only trading piece we have left for this season.

Second, if we didn't sign KT, how do you expect us to trade him for Damp? Besides, if they just wanted the expiring deals, wouldn't it have just made more sense to let Damp walk?

Finally, I close out with your idea for Shaq, how do you know Zeke didn't make an offer? Even if he did though, LA got a much better offer from Miami in Grant,Butler, and Odom.

[Edited by - MaTT4281 on 09/05/2004 15:10:49]
BRIGGS
9/5/2004  4:11 PM
it's hard to determine if signing KT was/is a mistake. I dont want KT as a main cog for this team, thats not the answer. what isiah has done--he has built the team around the backcourt and it took a LOT of money to do it. but let's be honest. the money was much better spent than laydumb--I'm even keel about the knicks-- when i think something is wrong i say so, im no cheerleader just a long time die-hard fan. do i wish we couldve rebuilt the team? yes, but thats not in the cards, so we deal the hand we have. under the circumstances, we have to give latitude to isiah and let the team develop. i dont think we will win more than 43-44 games but i only see a limited downside honestly we can finish anywhere from 3-10 as for our division i think many people including the media are discounting philly. i think philly trumps us--so its between us and boston IMHO--one team will win 43 the other 38 ro so and mis the playoffs.
RIP Crushalot😞
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
9/5/2004  4:51 PM
I think Philadelphia has a few better players than the Knicks but I'd say, if Houston is healthy, the Knicks have more talent.

I'd imagine they still have to wait a year or so on Igoudala, and other than Willie Green, I don't think Korver or Salmons will step up and become a big time scorer.

When it comes to the playoffs you have to like Philly, since Iverson has taken his team on his back in the playoffs and Marbury's never done that, but regular season, who knows. Iverson was banged up last year, as was Houston, so each handles an 82-game season this year will probably determine who has the better record.
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
9/5/2004  5:49 PM
i think delembart and their athletiscm in the frontcourt as a whole trumps the atlantic. we dont have athletic frontcourt players and we have no shotblocking. thats a big + for philly.

i know we have guys like h2o crawford TT marbury who are really good skill players, but frontcourt domination usually wins in the NBA G and wings are more dominant in college. im not saying our frontcourt is sht, but its not the strong part of the team. they also have the skill players and more depth on the wings this year that they missed last year--injuries plagued them. if you look at their all-around roster they trump us in defense and rebounding IMHO and we are a better offensive skill team.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
9/5/2004  5:57 PM
What does Philly have this year that they didn't have last year? (Don't forget they actually played worse with AI and Glenn in the lineup last year than with those two injured. A healthy AI does help the team, but Glenn has never impressed me.)
BRIGGS
9/5/2004  6:33 PM
they added speed size defense and a great deal of athletiscm+ they have a guy who can shut the lane off in dalambert and we have nothing like that.

i follow the entire NBA-- i read some of these stories or posts that start off by saying big dog stinks--one guy wrote a whole big article about how big dog was a terrible PF????? when he plays 2-3

i se big dog as i see h2O a guy who will likely take a smaller role perhaps both as backups. make no mistake though big dog is actually a better player than H2o if comparing the players but im comparing the teams not players.
RIP Crushalot😞
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/5/2004  8:11 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

i se big dog as i see h2O a guy who will likely take a smaller role perhaps both as backups. make no mistake though big dog is actually a better player than H2o if comparing the players but im comparing the teams not players.

Ooh I have to disagree with that one. I think several years ago the Dog was a better player than Houston but I think the Dog's game has gone downhill fast while Houston's has improved yearly until his injury last year. I think Houston's been the better player for the last few.
Bonn1997
USA
9/5/2004  8:12 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

they added speed size defense and a great deal of athletiscm+
Do you have any players in mind that they added or is this just more of a general "feeling" you have?

they have a guy who can shut the lane off in dalambert
Dalembert shut off the lane very well last year and they still were an awful team

BRIGGS
9/5/2004  9:56 PM
lets skip last year because both players were injured and go back just the last 3-

Big dog pts per game 21.2 reb 6.6 asis 3.0 steals 1.3 shooting % 45.8%

Houston 20.5 3.2 reb 2.5 asis steals 0.7 shoot @44.3%

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
9/5/2004  10:01 PM
if i have to answer the question of what players did philly acquire then it's likely you dont know who they are or have very little knowledge of them, so it's a waste of time.

but since you asked and im a nice guy:>)

Andre Iguloda 6-6 215
Brian Skinner 6-9 265
Corliss Williamson 6-7 245
Kevin Ollie 6-3 195
Kendrick Brown 6-7 225
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
9/5/2004  10:01 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

lets skip last year because both players were injured and go back just the last 3-

What does Allan Houston have to do with any of this? You said the Sixers added a lot of size and athleticism to their frontcourt. I asked you what players you had in mind. And you started talking about Allan Houston???
Bonn1997
USA
9/5/2004  10:06 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

if i have to answer the question of what players did philly acquire then it's likely you dont know who they are or have very little knowledge of them, so it's a waste of time.

but since you asked and im a nice guy:>)

Andre Iguloda 6-6 215
Brian Skinner 6-9 265
Corliss Williamson 6-7 245
Kevin Ollie 6-3 195
Kendrick Brown 6-7 225
Okay, now you answered the question. You said they added a lot of size and athleticism; I'm not sure how those tiny players other than Skinner fit that description. (Williamson's a nice role player but he doesn't do anything Sweetney can't do already.) Skinner's a nice role player who will give you some points, maybe 7 boards and a block. He's a nice role player but he doesn't turn an awful team into a good one. No one on your list does. Iguodala (I actually followed him closely enough to know how to spell his name) might some day be a good player.
Bonn1997
USA
9/5/2004  10:09 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

BTW, Glenn Robinson never averaged even 1.5 stls per game let alone THREE steals a game! You've been known to make up numbers before to bolster your arguments, but this one is beyond belief.
Knicks ahead of the Class?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy