[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Issue with KP
Author Thread
jskinny35
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #928
USA
2/4/2018  7:54 PM
He's obviously talented and can do remarkable things for a 7'3 player - but his rebounding is lousy, and he plays like a 3 even though he's sized as a 5 and positioned at the 4. He needs to get stronger and play closer to the basket - ideally he would get stronger this summer and come back as a 5. Kanter could move to the bench and be an awesome bench player. If he can't get stronger - then maybe he needs to move to the 3 and stay on the perimeter. I don't like this idea much, as he will struggle to guard quicker 3s but he's creating too many issues playing at the 4 and rebounding 6-7 a game.

Guess what I'm saying is maybe a big part of our problem is that we're trying to build around a player with significant deficiencies... It creates too many needs at the other positions to offset our unicorn (rebounds like a donkey). I'm all for the future of positonless basketball - but the rest of the roster (sans Beasley) plays traditionally at specific positions/roles. Kanter helps KP not get bullied and gives him space - but isn't a good defender and is slow. C.Lee is having a good year for what he is capable of... Beasley playing well but also a 3/4 and best off the bench... So we have some talent and I don't think this falls on Hornacek. I think he's putting the best performing players on the floor most nights (could play Burke more) - they just have a lot of deficiencies and poor balance on the court.

Maybe too difficult to find all the right combinations and easier to move him for other talent that can be plugged into existing positions. I'm a fan of his, but a Knicks fan first. Would like to hear feedback, and if you disagree - fine, but please offer up who are these players we can plug in around him that would make our team more effective.

AUTOADVERT
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
2/4/2018  7:58 PM
he gets no assists. it's bizarre.

I guess blame the offense?

Welpee
Member: #6239

2/4/2018  8:00 PM
KP is 22 years old and in his third season in the NBA and his first as "the man." I am comfortable with his progress thus far.
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
2/4/2018  11:31 PM
I'm not knocking his growth or talent - he's our best player. I'm questioning if this roster can be constructed in a way to offset his deficiencies (like the 2001 76ers with AI) or if it would be easier to acquire a player that plays a traditional position and doesn't necessitate the other players to have to fit perfectly to succeed. My two gripes are he rebounds and plays like a 3 out on the perimeter and is 7'3. Kanter has no inside help and is usually rebounding his miss vs the other teams 4 and 5 in the paint. Imagine if he used his height better - got stronger where he could operate closer in. It would likely result in a higher shooting percentage, more rebounds, etc... Hardaway Jr and Lee/Thomas are already on the perimeter so seems like a waste to have your tallest and most skilled player 25 feet out.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/4/2018  11:53 PM
jskinny35 wrote:I'm not knocking his growth or talent - he's our best player. I'm questioning if this roster can be constructed in a way to offset his deficiencies (like the 2001 76ers with AI) or if it would be easier to acquire a player that plays a traditional position and doesn't necessitate the other players to have to fit perfectly to succeed. My two gripes are he rebounds and plays like a 3 out on the perimeter and is 7'3. Kanter has no inside help and is usually rebounding his miss vs the other teams 4 and 5 in the paint. Imagine if he used his height better - got stronger where he could operate closer in. It would likely result in a higher shooting percentage, more rebounds, etc... Hardaway Jr and Lee/Thomas are already on the perimeter so seems like a waste to have your tallest and most skilled player 25 feet out.

First gotta check to see if the Knicks as a team are deficient in rebounding. They are not, one of the top teams in rebounding %. KP can definitely pump those stats for sure but I want to say he offsets this by the blocks and weak side help.

I'd say that if the Knicks could upgrade Kanter to a player who is more like Clint Capella (or better), their interior defense would be outstanding.

KP is a unicorn and if he could find that offensive form he displayed in the first month, Knicks would have a player that always has an advantage, and that's what gets you to the next step.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

2/5/2018  6:31 AM
martin wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:I'm not knocking his growth or talent - he's our best player. I'm questioning if this roster can be constructed in a way to offset his deficiencies (like the 2001 76ers with AI) or if it would be easier to acquire a player that plays a traditional position and doesn't necessitate the other players to have to fit perfectly to succeed. My two gripes are he rebounds and plays like a 3 out on the perimeter and is 7'3. Kanter has no inside help and is usually rebounding his miss vs the other teams 4 and 5 in the paint. Imagine if he used his height better - got stronger where he could operate closer in. It would likely result in a higher shooting percentage, more rebounds, etc... Hardaway Jr and Lee/Thomas are already on the perimeter so seems like a waste to have your tallest and most skilled player 25 feet out.

First gotta check to see if the Knicks as a team are deficient in rebounding. They are not, one of the top teams in rebounding %. KP can definitely pump those stats for sure but I want to say he offsets this by the blocks and weak side help.

I'd say that if the Knicks could upgrade Kanter to a player who is more like Clint Capella (or better), their interior defense would be outstanding.

KP is a unicorn and if he could find that offensive form he displayed in the first month, Knicks would have a player that always has an advantage, and that's what gets you to the next step.

Kanter is one of the main reasons we are one of the too teams in rebounding %.
Once you replace him, it will be harder to reproduce that and our defense will get better but our rebounding will suffer. Almost impossible to find this level of offensive rebounding that results in points.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
The Issue with KP

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy