[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Would you sacrifice future flexibility for Aaron Gordon?
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/2/2018  11:13 AM
Just some food for thought. Orlando is hitting a hard reset and might not want to pay Gordon. They might want to use him to offload other contracts such as Biyombo, Augustin, etc.

Would you consider a trade involving Kanter, McDermott, KOQ, and 2018 1st round pick, so basically a combination of our short term deals and a pick, to take on Gordon (and his impending max contract) and a couple of other long-term deals, likely starting with Biyombo?

Would you go all in with a core of Porzingis (would slide to Center), Gordon, Hardaway, and Ntilikina? Gordon is only 22 but about to get paid, so there would have to be major faith in him becoming a solid 2nd star. What's your appetite for something like this?

AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/2/2018  11:14 AM
Knixkik wrote:Just some food for thought. Orlando is hitting a hard reset and might not want to pay Gordon. They might want to use him to offload other contracts such as Biyombo, Augustin, etc.

Would you consider a trade involving Kanter, McDermott, KOQ, and 2018 1st round pick, so basically a combination of our short term deals and a pick, to take on Gordon (and his impending max contract) and a couple of other long-term deals, likely starting with Biyombo?

Would you go all in with a core of Porzingis (would slide to Center), Gordon, Hardaway, and Ntilikina? Gordon is only 22 but about to get paid, so there would have to be major faith in him becoming a solid 2nd star. What's your appetite for something like this?

no.

RIP Crushalot😞
fwk00
Member: #6048

2/2/2018  11:25 AM
No interest in Gordon but I do think getting Biyombo, Hezonja, and Iwundu might be a doable package if we could trade our #1, package Noah in the deal and what ever sweetner they preferred [Willie or Dotson].

Iwundu is a player I liked a lot from a previous draft class who might be a nice addition. Biyombo is a beast who could pair nicely with Porzingis, and Hezonja has upside as well.

Gordon just doesn't fill a need.

Knixkik
USA
2/2/2018  11:32 AM
fwk00 wrote:No interest in Gordon but I do think getting Biyombo, Hezonja, and Iwundu might be a doable package if we could trade our #1, package Noah in the deal and what ever sweetner they preferred [Willie or Dotson].

Iwundu is a player I liked a lot from a previous draft class who might be a nice addition. Biyombo is a beast who could pair nicely with Porzingis, and Hezonja has upside as well.

No trading our #1 unless it's for a young possible star. That deal is just a lateral move to offload Noah at the expense of our first round pick. Not saying i would definitely do the Gordon deal, but that is the only type of guy you consider this for. A guy who is 22 years old and already established. He wouldn't fill a need position-wise, but he would improve our athleticism in a major way and allow Porzingis to move to the center without putting too much pressure on him. Gordon is big and strong and can match up with most of today's centers defensively when needed. With Gordon and Porzingis, you have a 4 and 5 that can both shoot, defend, and run the floor, and are both 22. It's a nightmare for the next 10 years. But again, I would be on the fence. It would depend on the other pieces. Going all-in, even for a really young core, it's a major risk.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
2/2/2018  11:50 AM
What ever the Knicks get in this up coming draft will be better than Gordon.
Knixkik
USA
2/2/2018  11:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2018  11:54 AM
Vmart wrote:What ever the Knicks get in this up coming draft will be better than Gordon.

You think so? That's a bold statement. Gordon is already pretty good. I hope you're right.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/2/2018  11:55 AM
Gordon is 22, can play both forward spots and is a blossoming scorer. I can see why this would scare so many people off.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fwk00

2/2/2018  11:57 AM
Knixkik wrote:
fwk00 wrote:No interest in Gordon but I do think getting Biyombo, Hezonja, and Iwundu might be a doable package if we could trade our #1, package Noah in the deal and what ever sweetner they preferred [Willie or Dotson].

No trading our #1 unless it's for a young possible star. That deal is just a lateral move to offload Noah at the expense of our first round pick. Not saying i would definitely do the Gordon deal, but that is the only type of guy you consider this for. A guy who is 22 years old and already established. He wouldn't fill a need position-wise, but he would improve our athleticism in a major way and allow Porzingis to move to the center without putting too much pressure on him. Gordon is big and strong and can match up with most of today's centers defensively when needed. With Gordon and Porzingis, you have a 4 and 5 that can both shoot, defend, and run the floor, and are both 22. It's a nightmare for the next 10 years. But again, I would be on the fence. It would depend on the other pieces. Going all-in, even for a really young core, it's a major risk.

If a deal like this got us to the playoffs you say thank you. The pick winds up in the twenties or so. Meanwhile, you have a respectable, intimidating center in Biyombo that teams might think twice about roughing up Porzingis, Hezonja has more upside than, say, Dotson and Iwundu is a lot more athletic than whatever we're throwing out there now.

Upside a.) The Noah controversy is gone and your center spots, already a strength, just got stronger.

b.) The Willie melodrama is gone

c.) Hezonja and Iwundu are an upgrade in ,dare I say it, *talent* - either being as likely as blossoming as a teens first-rounder

d.) We have a SF candidate in Iwundu

e.) CLee becomes that much more expendable with Hezonja onboard

I was a big fan of Orlando's drafting patterns. They didn't gel there but they would be a great trade partner for untapped potential.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
2/2/2018  11:58 AM
fishmike wrote:Gordon is 22, can play both forward spots and is a blossoming scorer. I can see why this would scare so many people off.

If he is improving why would Orlando do another hard reset. Make no sense. You would think Gordon would be a part of their next reset.

fwk00

2/2/2018  12:00 PM
fishmike wrote:Gordon is 22, can play both forward spots and is a blossoming scorer. I can see why this would scare so many people off.

The problem is that he might be available only at premium prices we can't afford.

Knixkik
USA
2/2/2018  12:29 PM
Vmart wrote:

If he is improving why would Orlando do another hard reset. Make no sense. You would think Gordon would be a part of their next reset.

I agree, but they are trying to eliminate those big contracts and add draft picks. If you look at what they are paying some other guys, can they really afford to pay Gordon the max? They are a small market team who is going to be really bad. If Gordon continues to improve, they won't be back enough to add a top 3 pick. They need to start fresh with young talent and get some of these big veteran contracts off the books. Dealing Gordon might be their only way to do it.
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

2/2/2018  12:57 PM
I don't get to watch Gordon nearly enough but he has certainly made great strides shooting/scoring the ball and he is an electric athlete at 22.

I think he is the type of guy you move some young pieces for.

I would do something like Gordon for MCD/Willy/2018 #1 --- given we are looking at picking somewhere in the 10-14 range if that high --- I don't think we going to draft anyone on Gordon's talent level.

He will be due a LARGE payday but Gordon/Tim/KP is a very nice young scoring trio and add in Frank/Kanter/Bulls pick --- maybe a few other younger pieces in KOQ/Lee deals and that is a pretty nice young/talent base.

Is Gordon strictly a PF these days or is he playing some SF?

LivingLegend

2/2/2018  12:58 PM
One thing to consider with Gordon and Orlando in general --- S-Perry knows that roster and young talent very well.
Knixkik
USA
2/2/2018  1:06 PM
LivingLegend wrote:I don't get to watch Gordon nearly enough but he has certainly made great strides shooting/scoring the ball and he is an electric athlete at 22.

I would do something like Gordon for MCD/Willy/2018 #1 --- given we are looking at picking somewhere in the 10-14 range if that high --- I don't think we going to draft anyone on Gordon's talent level.

He will be due a LARGE payday but Gordon/Tim/KP is a very nice young scoring trio and add in Frank/Kanter/Bulls pick --- maybe a few other younger pieces in KOQ/Lee deals and that is a pretty nice young/talent base.

I think if we had a shot at him, it would be because we are willing to take one or two of their bad contracts. Kanter's large contract with one year left would help facilitate that. I don't see another possibility out there. They won't move him unless they can get rid of a couple big contracts and add picks. That being said, Gordon can play some SF, but it is not a good idea. It was something they did when they had Ibaka, and it was a failed experiment. He broke out this year when moved back to his natural position. A lineup of Porzingis, Gordon, Lee, Hardaway, and Ntilikina next year would be athletic, great defensively, and all 5 guys can make open threes. It would fit into that new-age lineup very well.

LivingLegend

2/2/2018  1:11 PM
Knixkik wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:I don't get to watch Gordon nearly enough but he has certainly made great strides shooting/scoring the ball and he is an electric athlete at 22.

I think if we had a shot at him, it would be because we are willing to take one or two of their bad contracts. Kanter's large contract with one year left would help facilitate that. I don't see another possibility out there. They won't move him unless they can get rid of a couple big contracts and add picks. That being said, Gordon can play some SF, but it is not a good idea. It was something they did when they had Ibaka, and it was a failed experiment. He broke out this year when moved back to his natural position. A lineup of Porzingis, Gordon, Lee, Hardaway, and Ntilikina next year would be athletic, great defensively, and all 5 guys can make open threes. It would fit into that new-age lineup very well.

I looked at a similar deal where we include Kanter and take back Byombo -- I do agree they would probably require that - Byombo though has 3 years at $17M.

Now -- if we get Gordon - add him to KP/Timmy --- pairing those 3 scorers with the likes of Frank/Byombo -- might not be a bad idea and we have elite rim protection.

I do agree though - my 1st deal suggestion probably not enough to land Gordon but I do think he would be a great 3rd piece with KP/Timmy.

LivingLegend

2/2/2018  1:13 PM
Not sure KP is physically/mentally ready for switch to 5 for a few years and I like fact he is leading league in shot blocking / rim protector as a 4. I think Kanter has proved -- it is good to have a physical dirty-work type player next to KP because that isn't KPs game but somebody has to do it.
Knixkik
USA
2/2/2018  1:18 PM
LivingLegend wrote:Not sure KP is physically/mentally ready for switch to 5 for a few years and I like fact he is leading league in shot blocking / rim protector as a 4. I think Kanter has proved -- it is good to have a physical dirty-work type player next to KP because that isn't KPs game but somebody has to do it.

I agree. In this scenario, he would start at the 5, but would likely share the floor with Willy or Biyombo a lot. He obviously spends most of his time in the 4th quarter at the 5. I'm still not convinced Gordon is the right player to go all-in with, but it is just food for thought. When a 22 year old stud is known to be available, its definitely worth going thru the possibilities to see if it makes sense.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/2/2018  1:34 PM
They can't give up young core players because they don't want to pay him. Pay him, and keep adding.
LA is doing a reset. Gone as far as they can with that group and time to sell.
Orlando sucks. Nothing to reset.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/2/2018  1:57 PM
Vmart wrote:What ever the Knicks get in this up coming draft will be better than Gordon.

So Gordon has all star potential... had a few 40 pt games this year. Good all around player. So we're gong to draft a player better than that? So you talking about a superstar guy them. Wow way a relief.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Knixkik
USA
2/2/2018  2:01 PM
Nalod wrote:They can't give up young core players because they don't want to pay him. Pay him, and keep adding.
LA is doing a reset. Gone as far as they can with that group and time to sell.
Orlando sucks. Nothing to reset.

They have Vucevic, Fournier, Biyombo, Simmons, Augustin, Ross, and Mack all vets on significant, multi-year contracts. They need to offload some of these contracts, which will be difficult to do. But that is what I mean by them needing to reset. The sooner they do that, the better their chance to rebuild. They are in the toughest spot in the league right now. They are one of the worst teams in the league, with a boatload of hard-to-trade contracts, and no obviously players to build around. Their 2 best prospects (Gordon and Isaac) are both best suited for the PF position as well. Front office is in a tough spot and might have to make a tough decision just to get out from under some of that mess.

Would you sacrifice future flexibility for Aaron Gordon?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy