Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/2/2018  10:48 AM
Keep these names in mind.

Jeremy Lamb
Terrence Ross
Alec Burks

These are 3 guys who fit the criteria of athletic wings, who have contracts that expire in 2019, and are age 26 or younger to be considered for part of the future. Not saying all of them would be. Ross is hurt now, but it would be about next year. All 3 have contracts that would match up to a deal involving KOQ, McDermott, and any other minor assets that would need to be included. I like Lamb the best, and would be willing to part with a possible 2nd round pick. But these are guys who can definitely be had, and would improve the wing position without sacrificing long-term salary or requiring a 1st round pick to deal for. These are 3 small market teams that could use the cap flexibility and tax savings that we can probably offer them.

AUTOADVERT
fwk00
Member: #6048

2/2/2018  11:08 AM
Make this bull**** stop. 2019 may as well be 2119. This FA game got old a decade ago.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
2/2/2018  11:13 AM
Knixkik wrote:Keep these names in mind.

Jeremy Lamb
Terrence Ross
Alec Burks

These are 3 guys who fit the criteria of athletic wings, who have contracts that expire in 2019, and are age 26 or younger to be considered for part of the future. Not saying all of them would be. Ross is hurt now, but it would be about next year. All 3 have contracts that would match up to a deal involving KOQ, McDermott, and any other minor assets that would need to be included. I like Lamb the best, and would be willing to part with a possible 2nd round pick. But these are guys who can definitely be had, and would improve the wing position without sacrificing long-term salary or requiring a 1st round pick to deal for. These are 3 small market teams that could use the cap flexibility and tax savings that we can probably offer them.

Those names are not enticing in the slightest. But I do agree with the 2019 goal for cap space.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knixkik
USA
2/2/2018  11:14 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Jeremy Lamb
Terrence Ross
Alec Burks

Those names are not enticing in the slightest. But I do agree with the 2019 goal for cap space.

I agree, they really aren't. But they offer some improvement at our biggest pain-point. We need to get more explosive at the wing, and these are some guys who at least give us some improvement off the bench.

fwk00

2/2/2018  11:30 AM
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Jeremy Lamb
Terrence Ross
Alec Burks

I agree, they really aren't. But they offer some improvement at our biggest pain-point. We need to get more explosive at the wing, and these are some guys who at least give us some improvement off the bench.

Will they get us to the playoffs in 2020? The whole FA narrative is laughable.

Knixkik
USA
2/2/2018  11:33 AM
fwk00 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Jeremy Lamb
Terrence Ross
Alec Burks

It's about improving where possible, but maintaining flexibility. Hopefully our current group can improve and get to the playoffs.

fwk00

2/2/2018  11:46 AM
Knixkik wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Jeremy Lamb
Terrence Ross
Alec Burks

It's about improving where possible, but maintaining flexibility. Hopefully our current group can improve and get to the playoffs.

Flexibility for what exactly? A savior? We do this dance every year. How about incrementally upping the talent while we have desirable assets to trade NOW?

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
2/2/2018  11:48 AM
Free Agency is fools gold. The Knicks shouldn’t even look at free agency and continue to think draft and other outside the box ideas on improving the team. Player development is the key to the Knicks success.
Knixkik
USA
2/2/2018  11:53 AM
fwk00 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Jeremy Lamb
Terrence Ross
Alec Burks

Flexibility for what exactly? A savior? We do this dance every year. How about incrementally upping the talent while we have desirable assets to trade NOW?

Not a savior, it's just not all about being locked into something that has a ceiling. Maybe flexibility can help us facilitate a large deal that adds young talent, extra picks, whatever. Obviously if a young player on a big contract can be added, you do it. We aren't just talking about free agency here.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/2/2018  11:57 AM
Vmart wrote:Free Agency is fools gold. The Knicks shouldn’t even look at free agency and continue to think draft and other outside the box ideas on improving the team. Player development is the key to the Knicks success.

we have more resources than other teams... the CBA basically makes it so the Knicks can't use the resources in free agency. The Knicks Westchester facility should be so amazing that all the developmental guys stand in line to affiliate with the Knicks... our international scouting should be the envy of the league... our analytics should be the best in class... our developmental coaches should be better than the other teams...

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/2/2018  1:35 PM
fwk00 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Jeremy Lamb
Terrence Ross
Alec Burks

You need to use every possible avenue to build a team up. FA is one of them. Doesn't mean we trade draft picks or young assets to make space. But if we can trade Lee in a deal that takes no salary in 2019 and add a future asset. We should do that even though it hurts us presently. Also doesn't mean we don't add any contract. Just that we should be very selective with who we are spending money on for the long term.

Cap space also doesn't only mean adding FAs. Cap space means making deals and not having to match salaries. It means being able to eat an expiring contract for future picks and just buying a player out if you can't land any FAs worth while. Example you have 30mil in cap space. You eat a contract worth 14mil with 1 yr left for a draft pick. You still have 16mil left to play with for a player you could target today. And you get that 14mil off the books the next season. Plus you added another draft pick.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Vmart
USA
2/2/2018  1:47 PM
You know the problem with playing for free agency is you waste two years setting up for it. If the team misses out on its target they set themselves back another two three years. Eventually the team gives in and starts doing a patch job with players that don’t fit.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/2/2018  2:49 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Vmart wrote:Free Agency is fools gold. The Knicks shouldn’t even look at free agency and continue to think draft and other outside the box ideas on improving the team. Player development is the key to the Knicks success.

we have more resources than other teams... the CBA basically makes it so the Knicks can't use the resources in free agency. The Knicks Westchester facility should be so amazing that all the developmental guys stand in line to affiliate with the Knicks... our international scouting should be the envy of the league... our analytics should be the best in class... our developmental coaches should be better than the other teams...

Why isn't this the case? I mean, I've said this here before. We should have more scouts than any other team. We should have better development staff, more staff.

But we don't, and I don't understand why.

fwk00

2/2/2018  3:09 PM
Vmart wrote:You know the problem with playing for free agency is you waste two years setting up for it. If the team misses out on its target they set themselves back another two three years. Eventually the team gives in and starts doing a patch job with players that don’t fit.

BINGO!

fwk00

2/2/2018  3:13 PM
franco12 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

Why isn't this the case? I mean, I've said this here before. We should have more scouts than any other team. We should have better development staff, more staff.

I think the Knicks do all that honestly. All the research in the world, all the planning for two years out, and so on has been done and tried and its NY shelf life has expired.

Phil set the table nicely. Now is the time to start tasting victories.

Two suggestions all over UK -> Oubre and Rubio - we have the gods to get those deals done. Enough navel gazing. It doesn't have to be those two but... MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
2/2/2018  4:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2018  4:07 PM
fwk00 wrote:
franco12 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

I think the Knicks do all that honestly. All the research in the world, all the planning for two years out, and so on has been done and tried and its NY shelf life has expired.

Phil set the table nicely. Now is the time to start tasting victories.

Two suggestions all over UK -> Oubre and Rubio - we have the gods to get those deals done. Enough navel gazing. It doesn't have to be those two but... MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE.

Fans obviously want some reason to watch the game, to root for the team which can win any given game, which get to off-season every year, and competes for the chip.
So fans want something to be done right now to give some hope, some crazy dream, some new Lin-Burke-Somebody-sanity-insanity...
GM and Pres cannot think in this lines, and when the do... we get what we get with the Knicks.
I do not expect any moves before deadline and I think this is the best news we can get.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
fwk00

2/2/2018  4:29 PM
arkrud wrote:-snip-

Fans obviously want some reason to watch the game, to root for the team which can win any given game, which get to off-season every year, and competes for the chip.
So fans want something to be done right now to give some hope, some crazy dream, some new Lin-Burke-Somebody-sanity-insanity...
GM and Pres cannot think in this lines, and when the do... we get what we get with the Knicks.
I do not expect any moves before deadline and I think this is the best news we can get.

Well I respect your opinion but I've been a Knicks fan since the late 60's and for the past couple of decades have had a really hard time remaining a fan.

IOW, I'm not some starry-eyed fan looking for a quick fix. IMO, standing still is just a euphemism for another wasted year - not even a good reason to watch the remainder of the season.

Oh, and scratch next year off too - we're now waiting til 2019 and beyond.

No. No. No.

If O'Quinn, McDermott, Kanter, and Jack will all just expire it seems to me you move those who have no future here. If we're going to lose we can lose with fresh faces. And if those fresh faces just happen to play to win, I'm a much happier fan. There's no "sanity" or starphuck fix in this thinking.

As for Hernangomez and the pick. They mean nothing now - do you think I'll miss either if the return is a young SF who lifts the team? Or maybe a player or two who today are as good as that pick will ever be?

Time is NOT on our side. We've done this stuff over and over and over. Building and winning is about reasonable risk-taking. There is talent out there that's available, can improve our team, and that we can afford.

There's NO excuse not to go after it. None.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/2/2018  5:06 PM
fwk00 wrote:
Vmart wrote:You know the problem with playing for free agency is you waste two years setting up for it. If the team misses out on its target they set themselves back another two three years. Eventually the team gives in and starts doing a patch job with players that don’t fit.

BINGO!

furthest thing from the truth. Bos and Hayward, GS and Durant, SAS with Alrdige.... they were wasting years?

All this means is you dont give stupid deals out and dont make trades for players with long deals if they arent going to be a part of your core foundation. Being a FA player is really just managing your cap and spending smart, until opportunity comes to spend big and move the needle.

FA 2019 is the right time. Hopefully Frank takes a a nice step. Maybe a guy like Dotson pops. You have KP and THjr. Hopefully the Knicks can make the playoff and then attract a top player to join that already solid young core. THATS the real job and I am GREAT with that goal.

Just to clarify:
Build a playoff team on young guys next year. 8th seed is great. You have a young playoff core, then it makes sense to pay big money to

Klay Thompson? Whiteside? Middleton? Kawhi Leonard? Or you maybe we get a nice piece in a salary dump like the Nets did taking Moz and we can add another blue chip young guy into the mix.

There is no need to "waste 2 years" to get to this. Starting with the #1 thing being improving from within.

Frank
KP
THjr
Dotson
Burke
Willy

Hell Lee is having a career year. Getting our current players better is a concept most Knick fans are not aware of but I do ensure you it exists!

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/2/2018  6:42 PM
The Warriors and Celtics have done pretty well in free agency recently.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Vmart
USA
2/2/2018  6:48 PM
fishmike wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

BINGO!

furthest thing from the truth. Bos and Hayward, GS and Durant, SAS with Alrdige.... they were wasting years?

All this means is you dont give stupid deals out and dont make trades for players with long deals if they arent going to be a part of your core foundation. Being a FA player is really just managing your cap and spending smart, until opportunity comes to spend big and move the needle.

FA 2019 is the right time. Hopefully Frank takes a a nice step. Maybe a guy like Dotson pops. You have KP and THjr. Hopefully the Knicks can make the playoff and then attract a top player to join that already solid young core. THATS the real job and I am GREAT with that goal.

Just to clarify:
Build a playoff team on young guys next year. 8th seed is great. You have a young playoff core, then it makes sense to pay big money to

Klay Thompson? Whiteside? Middleton? Kawhi Leonard? Or you maybe we get a nice piece in a salary dump like the Nets did taking Moz and we can add another blue chip young guy into the mix.

There is no need to "waste 2 years" to get to this. Starting with the #1 thing being improving from within.

Frank
KP
THjr
Dotson
Burke
Willy

Hell Lee is having a career year. Getting our current players better is a concept most Knick fans are not aware of but I do ensure you it exists!

You have a point but how often do FAs have predetermined destinations. The ones you name all have predetermined their destinations. This is why FA isn’t always the big hit everyone makes it out to be. Ask yourself if the Knicks had cap room today for LeBron how successful would the Knicks be in obtaining his services.

Let’s fast forward to 2019. Let’s say KP has become a franchise player, THJ has become a steady 20ppg player and Ntlikina is still a year or two from hitting consistent play. Do the Knicks have enough to entice a big time FA?

Do the Knicks give Kanter a big contract there are so many factors that FAs look at not to mention KP getting to contract extension years. I happen to think that NY isn’t a destination that player want they don’t want the hassle that comes with NY.

The best bet for NY is keep hoarding picks a lot like Celtics and use that to trade and add youth. To me a home grown player is more cut out for NY than a FA.

Since Summer 2019 looks like the priority

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy