[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Wally on Frank and the emergence of Trey Burke
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/26/2018  11:38 PM
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2006907205989348&id=122412554438832

I absolutely agree with Wally here. Watch and reply....

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
1/26/2018  11:40 PM
He nailed it. Play Trey and Jack. Frank is 19. He has plenty of time to figure it out.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/27/2018  1:33 AM
I've said this all year-- Frank should play 40 minutes a night in the D league. What's good enough for thj and Burke should be good enough for frank.
RIP Crushalot😞
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

1/27/2018  1:57 AM
My thought on Frank and the D-League...mentioned it a few weeks ago in a thread- I would have no issues with letting him play there, but put him in a situation where he is guaranteed 15-20 shots/game...

He needs to gain confidence as a scorer...and not just thinking that he must try to direct an offense.

If he plays D-league games where he does not feel like he can shoot as often as possible, his time will be wasted.

He has to be aggressive looking for his shot, and also have to drive and finish, with a shot or a foul, at least
5-7 times/game, too.

D-league is meaningless if he is not given instructions to look for his own shot.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
smackeddog
Member: #883
1/27/2018  4:07 AM
How would prioritising Burke and benching Frank make any sense in the long term? Thats the whole focus of this season. Should we develop our 8th pick rookie? Nah, lets not play him a all so we can still not make the playoffs but finish with a record that ensures a mid first round pick. The recipe for success!
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/27/2018  6:26 AM
I have the opposite opinion
We should flip Jack and Frank.

Frank starts.
With Tim, KP, Enes, CLee .. Frank can do what he does best. Facilitate. Defend. Shoot the open 3. Patrick Beverly role.

On second unit too much pressure to score and create

TLover
Member: #381
USA
1/27/2018  8:17 AM
Frank may never be ready.. trade him for a young wing and let Trey run the show...
TLover
Member: #381
USA
1/27/2018  8:20 AM
Maybe Frank grows another 3 inches and puts on 40 lbs so we can play him at the 3.
EnySpree

1/27/2018  8:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/27/2018  8:32 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:My thought on Frank and the D-League...mentioned it a few weeks ago in a thread- I would have no issues with letting him play there, but put him in a situation where he is guaranteed 15-20 shots/game...

He needs to gain confidence as a scorer...and not just thinking that he must try to direct an offense.

If he plays D-league games where he does not feel like he can shoot as often as possible, his time will be wasted.

He has to be aggressive looking for his shot, and also have to drive and finish, with a shot or a foul, at least
5-7 times/game, too.

D-league is meaningless if he is not given instructions to look for his own shot.

Yo.... you think they are telling Frank not to shoot? You think that's what the problem is? So Trey Burke is averaging 18pts the last 2 Games because the coach wants him to? Again the coach told Frank not to shoot? Come on man.... Frank is not even trying to shoot unless he's wide open. He needs to go to the g league to learn how to do that. It's not in his game to shoot. That's a development problem. When he goes down there he's got to out play XRM.... good luck with that.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

1/27/2018  8:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/27/2018  8:39 AM
Who cares if Frank develops if Trey Burke is ready to play now? Wally is right..... Frank is 19... he'll be 25 in 6 years! Trey is 25 now.... play to win now and ease Frank in. Frank has his whole career ahead of him.

It's so crazy that guys don't even want to trade Frank in a packedge for Leonard.... wth is going on here?

Welpee
Member: #6239

1/27/2018  9:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/27/2018  9:11 AM
EnySpree wrote:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2006907205989348&id=122412554438832

I initially said it was a knee jerk reaction to one game. Now I'm rapidly starting to come around. And the fact that Burke isn't some rookie, he's a guy who has been a player getting major minutes in the league, a guy the league is familiar with (versus Jeremy Lin who basically came out of nowhere) and he's still being effective, means something.

I had been saying for weeks what did we have to lose kicking Sessions to the curb and giving Burke a look? I'm so glad the Knicks finally pulled the trigger.

Welpee

1/27/2018  9:10 AM
smackeddog wrote:How would prioritising Burke and benching Frank make any sense in the long term? Thats the whole focus of this season. Should we develop our 8th pick rookie? Nah, lets not play him a all so we can still not make the playoffs but finish with a record that ensures a mid first round pick. The recipe for success!
Regardless of record you play players based on their ability to handle the minutes. People have this notion of just throw him out there so that he develops. If he's not ready that's the worst thing you can do and could potentially destroy his development.
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

1/27/2018  10:02 AM
Welpee wrote:
EnySpree wrote:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2006907205989348&id=122412554438832

I initially said it was a knee jerk reaction to one game. Now I'm rapidly starting to come around. And the fact that Burke isn't some rookie, he's a guy who has been a player getting major minutes in the league, a guy the league is familiar with (versus Jeremy Lin who basically came out of nowhere) and he's still being effective, means something.

I had been saying for weeks what did we have to lose kicking Sessions to the curb and giving Burke a look? I'm so glad the Knicks finally pulled the trigger.

Me too man. was saying the same things. Glad they gave Burke a shot..

I tell ya what, Burke wasn't the only standout player down in the GL. Not by a long shot.. SO MANY good players -- two guys I really like that I think could help us -- Christian Wood and Brandon Ashley. Both go about 6'9" 230 (Wood's slightly taller). Very similar games--very good athleticism, potent offensive games from all angles (post up, off the dribble, mid range, 3 ball), excellent length, shot-blockers, both would be a factor on the boards.. The only thing lacking is the girth someone like KOQ has but I feel when you weigh all the factors by comparison, either one of these guys would be more valuable overall in the long run. They just bring more to the table. We're also talking 4-5 younger than O'Quinn too. And forget one or the other, I want both guys. If we managed to pull of something like O'Quinn to GS for the 30th pick in the 1st round, maybe trimmed another superfluous player (Lance Thomas? Wood or Ashley would be a significant upgrade, not only over O'Quinn but over LT in the rotation as well. Both guys are athletic hybrid 4s but could definitely see moments at the 3 in the right matchups), I dunno man--to me, that'd be a minor coup. Point is there are many more players down there that can not only play, but THRIVE in the NBA. No question about it. Maybe the league should consider expanding once again to another city or two.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/27/2018  10:13 AM
Cant get any audio on that clip. Could someone give us a recap of what Wally said?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/27/2018  10:13 AM
Finestrg wrote:
Welpee wrote:

I tell ya what, Burke wasn't the only standout player down in the GL. Not by a long shot.. SO MANY good players -- two guys I really like that I think could help us -- Christian Wood and Brandon Ashley. Both go about 6'9" 230 (Wood's slightly taller). Very similar games--very good athleticism, potent offensive games from all angles (post up, off the dribble, mid range, 3 ball), excellent length, shot-blockers, both would be a factor on the boards.. The only thing lacking is the girth someone like KOQ has but I feel when you weigh all the factors by comparison, either one of these guys would be more valuable overall in the long run. They just bring more to the table. We're also talking 4-5 younger than O'Quinn too. And forget one or the other, I want both guys. If we managed to pull of something like O'Quinn to GS for the 30th pick in the 1st round, maybe trimmed another superfluous player (Lance Thomas? Wood or Ashley would be a significant upgrade, not only over O'Quinn but over LT in the rotation as well. Both guys are athletic hybrid 4s but could definitely see moments at the 3 in the right matchups), I dunno man--to me, that'd be a minor coup. Point is there are many more players down there that can not only play, but THRIVE in the NBA. No question about it. Maybe the league should consider expanding once again to another city or two.

Ridiculous Upside selected Wood as one of their G League all stars. I haven't followed the gleague much this year but I still check in at that site. Highlight video they had of Wood was really good. He looks great and has filled out.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
EnySpree

1/27/2018  10:33 AM
If Trey Burke finishes the season averaging 18pts and 7 assists a game.... do you think Utah is going to be mad they didn't wait 5 years for Burke to develop?

No!

Life goes on!

Utah has Rubio, Donavan Mitchell and if he ever gets healthy, that kid Dante Exum.

Yo.... Frank doesn't have to develop here. Developing a player doesn't mean you start them and play then 40 minutes and deal with their flaws hoping they become a good player. At some point you have to be real with what you have and take care of it for the sake of the team not the individual player. This is not the New York Franks... that's what the g league is for. The Knicks are not operating with the sole purpose to better Franks career.

Welpee

1/27/2018  10:48 AM
EnySpree wrote:If Trey Burke finishes the season averaging 18pts and 7 assists a game.... do you think Utah is going to be mad they didn't wait 5 years for Burke to develop?

No!

Life goes on!

Utah has Rubio, Donavan Mitchell and if he ever gets healthy, that kid Dante Exum.

Yo.... Frank doesn't have to develop here. Developing a player doesn't mean you start them and play then 40 minutes and deal with their flaws hoping they become a good player. At some point you have to be real with what you have and take care of it for the sake of the team not the individual player. This is not the New York Franks... that's what the g league is for. The Knicks are not operating with the sole purpose to better Franks career.

True. I just don't want the following: 1) we trade a young talent (Frank) to help acquire some big name, overrated player and look like fools five years from now; 2) if we truly believe he's a potential title contributing point guard, we give up on him too soon because of lack of patience.

I was disappointed that we gave up on Jerian Grant after one season and that didn't turn out to be a big deal. At the same time we gave up on THJr early for a 1st round pick to draft Grant and he returns as our 2nd best player.

If we trade Frank it has to be to acquire someone who will elevate us to the next level.

knicks1248
Member: #582
1/27/2018  11:58 AM
It will always be a 2nd, 3rd or 4th option for frank to shoot.. He will be a charlie ward type pg, but just taller and longer...
ES
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
1/27/2018  12:10 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Finestrg wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Ridiculous Upside selected Wood as one of their G League all stars. I haven't followed the gleague much this year but I still check in at that site. Highlight video they had of Wood was really good. He looks great and has filled out.

He has been brought up here many times has been signed by Philly and Hornets in the past and always seems really good in G-league. But yet still has yet to make any mark on the NBA despite his talents. Another Hassan Whiteside?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
1/27/2018  12:41 PM
knicks1248 wrote:It will always be a 2nd, 3rd or 4th option for frank to shoot.. He will be a charlie ward type pg, but just taller and longer...

Being a 2nd, 3rd, 4th option mostly matters if all you can do is score. Draymond Green is a 3rd-4th option. Andre Igoudala when traded to the Warriors became a 3rd-4th option and a 6th man type. But since they bring more complete packages they are elite 3rd-4th options.

2015 finals MVP Andre Igoudala averaged 7.8 pts per game during the season. Finding players like Andre Igoudala and Draymond Green to play those roles are one of the hardest things to do in the NBA.

Taking shot at a Frank with unknown potential but at worst develops into a hard to find utility role player that can bring multi things to the table which is pretty damn hard to find in the NBA. Isn't bad logic for the Knicks. Yet if he did become a stud offensive player which was unknown at the draft then you would be talking about a *stud* 2-way player which is even harder to find but necessary if you want to talk about winning chips. And if Frank was that type of player or ever developed into that type of player to pair with KP and the type of player he could develop into...

A taller and longer Charlie Ward would be more like Aaron Mckie. Who dropped 16-5-5 and elite defense vs the Bucks(Cassell, Allen, Big Dog) to help push 76ers to the Finals matching up defensively with people that Iverson couldn't.

Scoring guards (like Trey Burke) is the easiest thing to find in the NBA. As said at the time of the draft and low and behold we land a former lotto pick scoring guard months later for league min.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Wally on Frank and the emergence of Trey Burke

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy