[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How many more games do we win? Tracking to a possible low to mid teen pick. What do we do with it?
Author Thread
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/24/2018  11:42 AM
I know its still early but it seems our record is heading to the 12th to 17th worst record. Unless we or some other team breaks the early mold. I see them probably winning 12 of their remaining games. Possibly winning another 4 games, and most likely losing the rest against very good teams. Unless we turn this years pattern around.

If so...Do we go with another PG or SF? I would like to see a wing but, as always, think its best to pick best available.

Been watching Carter (Duke), Bridges (Villanova), Williams (A&M), Miles Bridges (Michigan St.), Vanderbilt (Kentucky) or will Gaines go Euro again with Musa?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
1/24/2018  12:03 PM
Once we see what Perry can get for some of these tradeable vets that will inform what they may do in the draft. I don't think the Knicks will lose enough to substantially improve their draft status so really this is about getting some young assets back for these vets.

Knicks may end up about where they are now which means they will hope to get this drafts Donovan Mitchell and are gonna have to hope for some late magic like Kuzma was. There are so many needs this team has that they will be looking for as many picks and young prospects as they can get. Perry will be looking for WINGS, WINGS, WINGS!!! I think after watching our below the rim Bigs he's gonna want some Long Athletic PF/C's too.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/24/2018  12:06 PM
Way too early to tell. Let see what happens at the deadline. A trade could energize us, or it could deflate us.

Of the guys you mentioned what do you think of Vanderbilt? If there is a "type" of player I would covet in this draft its a long defensive 3. Some combo of Ariza and Tayshaun Prince.

There's a long skilled PG/SG type at Oregon... Troy Brown. That program places a big emphasis on defense but I have no time to watch college and havent had a chance to see him much.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
USA
1/24/2018  12:21 PM
fishmike wrote:Way too early to tell. Let see what happens at the deadline. A trade could energize us, or it could deflate us.

Of the guys you mentioned what do you think of Vanderbilt? If there is a "type" of player I would covet in this draft its a long defensive 3. Some combo of Ariza and Tayshaun Prince.

There's a long skilled PG/SG type at Oregon... Troy Brown. That program places a big emphasis on defense but I have no time to watch college and havent had a chance to see him much.

Agree we've gotta see what Perry does with Trades. It's hard to really know yet cuz Perry is still new to us, but I would guess he's going to be interested in ANY and ALL legit talent that is built for the Modern Positionless game. We need so much that he can't really be turning away anything. The Knicks lead the league in BELOW the RIM players. That's gotta change.

Besides the top guys in NCAA I haven't really done any digging yet. Perry will have to do as much as possible to mine the NBA for young talent too. It's gotta be an ALL OF THE ABOVE approach to finding young talent.

HofstraBBall

1/24/2018  12:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/24/2018  12:57 PM
nixluva wrote:Once we see what Perry can get for some of these tradeable vets that will inform what they may do in the draft. I don't think the Knicks will lose enough to substantially improve their draft status so really this is about getting some young assets back for these vets.

Knicks may end up about where they are now which means they will hope to get this drafts Donovan Mitchell and are gonna have to hope for some late magic like Kuzma was. There are so many needs this team has that they will be looking for as many picks and young prospects as they can get. Perry will be looking for WINGS, WINGS, WINGS!!! I think after watching our below the rim Bigs he's gonna want some Long Athletic PF/C's too.

My point in my earlier thread. It will depend on what he does with Lee, Kanter, KO, Doug, Beas. Its too bad, thought if not for Timmy and Kp getting hurt, we would be up there in standings. Think they will dump at deadline. IF so. Lucky to win too many more.

As for the draft, point I was making is that there seem to be several SF avoilable this year in that mid teen. I typically look at performance in the tourny unless there is a stand out on a non qualifying team.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
1/24/2018  12:41 PM
33-36 wins seems about right. We need 2 forwards, a combo guard, and a versatile mobile yet strong PF/C.

We have our *lotto pick* and 2nd rounders. We can possibly fill 2 of these needs in the draft. And realistically will probably really need 2 offseason to fill in all the needs and develop the talent to where we need everyone to be.

KP and Hardaway are the scorers. Frank & KP bring defensive potential. We need more length, defense, & skill at the forward positions. Would also like the needed combo guard to provide length as well. The goal is to build an identity. Since we have drafted Frank to pair with KP for the future. The identity is pretty clear in order to maximize.

This is a loaded big man draft as well. Would probably be able to find Kanter's future replacement and KPs long term running mate if the talent is to good to pass up where we draft at first or 2nd round.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
HofstraBBall

1/24/2018  12:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/24/2018  1:07 PM
fishmike wrote:Way too early to tell. Let see what happens at the deadline. A trade could energize us, or it could deflate us.

Agree, but something else to talk about. Vanderbilt has gone down in value as he was hurt and may opt to stay at Kentucky. Has had limited minutes but was a high prospect coming into the year. Like Knox on Kentucky the most thus far but think he goes earlier.

Brown is good. McD's All American. Athletic and good polish of offense. Probably late first round but kinda stuck between SG and PG.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/24/2018  12:52 PM
This team needs to get into the top 5 to get an impact player that will speed up the rebuild. I’m not saying we should tank, just saying we should be playing the kids....Burke, Dotson, Willy....less Jack, LT, KoQ, even Baker who could be out of the league when his contract expires
HofstraBBall

1/24/2018  1:06 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:33-36 wins seems about right. We need 2 forwards, a combo guard, and a versatile mobile yet strong PF/C.

We have our *lotto pick* and 2nd rounders. We can possibly fill 2 of these needs in the draft. And realistically will probably really need 2 offseason to fill in all the needs and develop the talent to where we need everyone to be.

KP and Hardaway are the scorers. Frank & KP bring defensive potential. We need more length, defense, & skill at the forward positions. Would also like the needed combo guard to provide length as well. The goal is to build an identity. Since we have drafted Frank to pair with KP for the future. The identity is pretty clear in order to maximize.

This is a loaded big man draft as well. Would probably be able to find Kanter's future replacement and KPs long term running mate if the talent is to good to pass up where we draft at first or 2nd round.

Agree. Think the plan may be to get rid of money this year so that we can go after a SF in free agency. May Have Willy, KP, Timmy and Frank starting next year alongside a FA SF pickup. Would have Jack as back up PG, Doug as back up SG, Beas (If we can sign him) as back up PF and think LT stays and backs up at the SF next year. Meaning we need a SF and possible SG/PG backup in the draft. Would then need a back up C free agency as well. But again, depends if we dump Lee. Kanter and KO at deadline.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/24/2018  1:13 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:33-36 wins seems about right. We need 2 forwards, a combo guard, and a versatile mobile yet strong PF/C.

Agree. Think the plan may be to get rid of money this year so that we can go after a SF in free agency. May Have Willy, KP, Timmy and Frank starting next year alongside a FA SF pickup. Would have Jack as back up PG, Doug as back up SG, Beas (If we can sign him) as back up PF and think LT stays and backs up at the SF next year. Meaning we need a SF and possible SG/PG backup in the draft. Would then need a back up C free agency as well. But again, depends if we dump Lee. Kanter and KO at deadline.

KO and Kanter can walk so its not given we can "dump" them.
Im not expecting much change or much in return. Team that wants them either is burning a pick or yoot for a run or
would expect to resign them. Otherwise they can just sign them in the summer.
If they want us to take back money.....well then what they offering?

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/24/2018  1:18 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Agree, but something else to talk about. Vanderbilt has gone down in value as he was hurt and may opt to stay at Kentucky. Has had limited minutes but was a high prospect coming into the year. Like Knox on Kentucky the most thus far but think he goes earlier.

Brown is good. McD's All American. Athletic and good polish of offense. Probably late first round but kinda stuck between SG and PG.

Vanderbilt's J needs some work too. He'd be in the lottery discussion otherwise. I could definitely see some team making him a promise if he entered. I haven't seen much of Musa, but he looks weird in the footage I've seen. He's hunched over and skinny. But the J is quick and accurate. He also runs the break hard and has a few moves to get free. But defense is going to be a problem and I've read that he has a bad history with his back.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorknewyork
1/24/2018  1:19 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

The type of players we need to target is the main part. I like Miles Bridges and Vamderbilt for what they bring ideally. I like Metzu for what he could potentially bring at the PF/C spot. And I like Thomas and Wilder for what they could bring to the guard spots

HofstraBBall

1/24/2018  1:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/24/2018  1:40 PM
Nalod wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Im not expecting much change or much in return. Team that wants them either is burning a pick or yoot for a run or

Dont think that Kanter is walking from close to $19M. KO will walk and Knicks know they wont be able to pay for the increase in his value, so its best to get a draft pick back.

True, most expiring are for playoff runs and will typically give back a draft pick or expect you to take back a bad contract with a good asset. Think Knicks prefer draft picks.

Still interesting as to direction they will go. There are many story lines. Beasley has played into larger contract, do they try to resign him or trade him for a pick now? Lee is our best value but may have his highest trade value right right now and ofcourse Timmy plays the same position. Kanter is young but owed $19M and suspect of Defense. Willy is young but seems out of favor lately. Some tough decisions. Adn of course it all depends on offers.

nixluva
USA
1/24/2018  1:51 PM
Gotta get something for KOQ and CLee. Those guys are good role players for Playoff teams. Willy and Kanter are too similar to keep both. I would imagine that Perry would trade Willy if he can get a pick. I wish there was someone willing to take LT. We just need a totally different type of player now. This roster is still too Triangle in nature. Can't run with Half Court style players who play below the rim.
HofstraBBall

1/24/2018  3:01 PM
nixluva wrote:Gotta get something for KOQ and CLee. Those guys are good role players for Playoff teams. Willy and Kanter are too similar to keep both. I would imagine that Perry would trade Willy if he can get a pick. I wish there was someone willing to take LT. We just need a totally different type of player now. This roster is still too Triangle in nature. Can't run with Half Court style players who play below the rim.

Agree on bold but Lee still has 2 years left if we keep him. But agree that he is at his highest trade value.
Its too bad WIlly has not shown more of Defense. If so, think letting go of Kanter would be an easier decision.

nixluva
USA
1/24/2018  7:05 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:Gotta get something for KOQ and CLee. Those guys are good role players for Playoff teams. Willy and Kanter are too similar to keep both. I would imagine that Perry would trade Willy if he can get a pick. I wish there was someone willing to take LT. We just need a totally different type of player now. This roster is still too Triangle in nature. Can't run with Half Court style players who play below the rim.

Agree on bold but Lee still has 2 years left if we keep him. But agree that he is at his highest trade value.
Its too bad WIlly has not shown more of Defense. If so, think letting go of Kanter would be an easier decision.

I really don’t want to pay Kanter big money. I’d prefer to find KP another big that can rebound but also protect the rim and play better TEAM D. Both Kanter and Willy are too similar. I want a different type of Big Man altogether.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/24/2018  7:23 PM
NBA trade deadline is in 2 weeks exactly... thurs Feb 8th
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
newyorknewyork
1/24/2018  7:45 PM
EnySpree wrote:NBA trade deadline is in 2 weeks exactly... thurs Feb 8th

Wow didn't know it was that close

HofstraBBall

1/24/2018  8:01 PM
Not a SF but maybe a guy we can play if the thought is KP at 5

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/24/2018  8:27 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Dont think that Kanter is walking from close to $19M. KO will walk and Knicks know they wont be able to pay for the increase in his value, so its best to get a draft pick back.

True, most expiring are for playoff runs and will typically give back a draft pick or expect you to take back a bad contract with a good asset. Think Knicks prefer draft picks.

Still interesting as to direction they will go. There are many story lines. Beasley has played into larger contract, do they try to resign him or trade him for a pick now? Lee is our best value but may have his highest trade value right right now and ofcourse Timmy plays the same position. Kanter is young but owed $19M and suspect of Defense. Willy is young but seems out of favor lately. Some tough decisions. Adn of course it all depends on offers.

I hope Kanter opts in. Gives us another year to evaluate options, and we aren't going to be significantly under the cap this summer even if he opted out. I really think we need another year to determine who is a long-term fit besides KP, Frank, and Hardaway.

How many more games do we win? Tracking to a possible low to mid teen pick. What do we do with it?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy