Member: #3049

1/11/2018  2:05 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Starpuch

trading young players and lottery picks for player

examples Eddy Curry Cramelo Mcdyess Marbury

signing a free agent who is a star? No starpuch

So it's impossible for an FA signing to be a starphuck?

Nope. Who wouldn't want IT on this team anyway for nothing but cash?

You say nothing but cash, but cap space is just as much of a resource as a first-round pick. Assuming you're able to sign IT, how would you build the rest of the team. You need a team that can hide IT defensive liabilities, have guys who can make plays to make for IT's pass first nature, rim protectors etc. We saw it with Melo, you need a plan that involves more than just obtaining a star player.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
1/11/2018  2:07 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Would you say the same for Amare?

What's impressed you so much in his 3 games back anyway? The 44% shooting? The 6+ turnovers per 36 min?

Let me see--arent you the same guy who said a ten game sample is not much? How about the 29 points and 6 assits + the ECF he did last year? Do you even know who I Thomas is? Because that is a silly statement?

Hes not going to avg the same on Clev that he did on Boston--what we are looking for is health--we know the guy can play.

Of course he can play, but he had 1 great year in a great system with a great supporting cast. He hasn't done anything like last year in previous years. And injury aside, he is entering an age where most players have already peaked and start to trend down slightly.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/11/2018  2:28 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

What's impressed you so much in his 3 games back anyway? The 44% shooting? The 6+ turnovers per 36 min?

Let me see--arent you the same guy who said a ten game sample is not much? How about the 29 points and 6 assits + the ECF he did last year? Do you even know who I Thomas is? Because that is a silly statement?

Hes not going to avg the same on Clev that he did on Boston--what we are looking for is health--we know the guy can play.

He's struggling like I'd expect from a rusty player. I'm not criticizing him but I'm certainly not salivating over his play like you are.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/11/2018  2:29 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Do you even know who I Thomas is? Do you even know who I Thomas is? Do you even know who I Thomas is? Do you even know who I Thomas is?

Bonn1997
USA
1/11/2018  3:17 PM
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Do you even know who I Thomas is? Do you even know who I Thomas is? Do you even know who I Thomas is? Do you even know who I Thomas is?

LOL. We've had enough Isiah Thomases!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/11/2018  3:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/11/2018  3:50 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

It's funny reading posts thT criticize others who want to improve but have no tangible plan themselves. If he's healthy it would be an incredible unique possibility

Also I have serious doubts that you watched very much of him

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
1/11/2018  3:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/11/2018  3:48 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

It's funny reading posts thT criticize others who want to improve but have no tangible plan themselves. If he's healthy it would be an incredible unique possibility

Right.
Being unimpressed with 3 games from Isaiah Thomas = Having no rebuilding plan
BRIGGS
1/11/2018  4:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/11/2018  4:15 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Right.

Who lead the nba in 4 th quarter scoring last year?
Who were the two teams in the ECf finals last year?
Who had the most wins in the east last year? And who was their best player?

You have no plan-- you just spit back stats. Do u even watch basketball?

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
1/11/2018  4:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/11/2018  4:45 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Right.

Who lead the nba in 4 th quarter scoring last year?
Who were the two teams in the ECf finals last year?
Who had the most wins in the east last year? And who was their best player?

You have no plan-- you just spit back stats. Do u even watch basketball?

I watch about half the games. You say I have no plan but you didn't even ask me my plan!
Isaiah is/was (we don't know which yet) a very good offensive player. It is still possible to have a good player on a bad (even crippling) contract. We Knicks fans should know that by now.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/11/2018  4:52 PM
Briggs has a plan. How precious.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

1/11/2018  8:02 PM
franco12 wrote:But, Briggs, you are wrong. This group is the group that becomes a winning franchise, and we don't need no starphuchs!

I'm going to do something I rarely do.

I'm going to change my mind and look at a personnel move that is actually, in form, a poor market based decision and consider the Knicks should do it anyway.

Thomas at 3/60, with the third year as a team option. Salary structure so that the 2nd year, the maximum of 15 percent that can allotted towards not likely to be earned incentives that don't actually work against the cap. ( In short, if Thomas gets hurt most of the season, enough to not accrue service time for a full NBA season, the Knicks would pay 17 million and then not pick up his third year team option)

Briggs should acknowledge that others here are right, signing Thomas is a bad market based decision. If the Knicks signed Thomas a 100 times, 80 times it would blow up in their faces. Even at most optimum, you'd be looking at a treadmill team that would , at best, be fun to watch, but would get blown of the first round of the playoffs.

It would be a functional 2/40 deal, but the phantom 3/60 would work to appease IT2's ego.

I've watch some more game film of IT2 recently, and he's a tough little bastard.

BUT, and it's a HUGE but here. It would all be predicated on trading THJr without taking in long term salary back, getting some non guaranteed contracts that can be waived and realizing this would be a team that would get torched night after night on defense.

If IT2 would take that deal, then I say sign him. I change my mind.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

1/11/2018  8:16 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
franco12 wrote:But, Briggs, you are wrong. This group is the group that becomes a winning franchise, and we don't need no starphuchs!

I'm going to change my mind and look at a personnel move that is actually, in form, a poor market based decision and consider the Knicks should do it anyway.

Thomas at 3/60, with the third year as a team option. Salary structure so that the 2nd year, the maximum of 15 percent that can allotted towards not likely to be earned incentives that don't actually work against the cap. ( In short, if Thomas gets hurt most of the season, enough to not accrue service time for a full NBA season, the Knicks would pay 17 million and then not pick up his third year team option)

Briggs should acknowledge that others here are right, signing Thomas is a bad market based decision. If the Knicks signed Thomas a 100 times, 80 times it would blow up in their faces. Even at most optimum, you'd be looking at a treadmill team that would , at best, be fun to watch, but would get blown of the first round of the playoffs.

It would be a functional 2/40 deal, but the phantom 3/60 would work to appease IT2's ego.

I've watch some more game film of IT2 recently, and he's a tough little bastard.

BUT, and it's a HUGE but here. It would all be predicated on trading THJr without taking in long term salary back, getting some non guaranteed contracts that can be waived and realizing this would be a team that would get torched night after night on defense.

Your deal is palatable but someone will pay more
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
BRIGGS
1/11/2018  8:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/11/2018  8:22 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

I hate the draft this year after 9. If the Nets are willing to take Noah or Lee/Thomas for the 13th pick and Dinwiddie---deal. Dinwiddie is better than anyone at 13 anyway. That gives me the cap room to sign IT. Adding IT and Dinwidde would be huge. Use the 2nrd rounders to grab a PGs like Brunson or Holiday and maybe Colson with the other.

Lets say for example
IT
Dinwddie
J Brunson
B Colson.

RIP Crushalot😞
TripleThreat

1/11/2018  8:41 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
I hate the draft this year after 9. If the Nets are willing to take Noah or Lee/Thomas for the 13th pick and Dinwiddie---deal. Dinwiddie is better than anyone at 13 anyway. That gives me the cap room to sign IT. Adding IT and Dinwidde would be huge. Use the 2nrd rounders to grab a PGs like Brunson or Holiday and maybe Colson with the other.

The Nets are not going to make that deal.

More teams will be cap locked and entering the tax zone this offseason. That means absorbing bad contracts, the market price is going to go up.

If you want IT2 as a free agent, THJr has to be traded, and with no long term salary coming back and with non guaranteed contracts coming back as well. There is no way around it. No one wants Noah. No one wants Lance Thomas. No one wants the last two years of Lee. No one.

It's THJr or nothing.

Briggs, if you want to convince people IT2 is feasible, you will have to

A) Openly acknowledge signing him at all as a FA, for any length, is a bad market based decision. Just say it, Jesus H Christ. At this point, this isn't just a difference of opinion between you and everyone else, it's you acting like d*ck to people by ignoring their points that you don't like.

B) Find a way to trade THJr. Everything else on the roster, other teams don't want the players/contracts or the assets they do want are ones the Knicks want to keep. And I mean a trade that would pass The Mirror Test.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/11/2018  8:48 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
franco12 wrote:Stop with the Isiiah Thomas threads!!!

I've seen this team play out like this, and my hunch is next year and the future is bright. I can't remember where I saw a young team lose a lot of close games, and the next year they start to win those. Maybe it was early Ewing.

This isn't blind fanacticism like nixluva. This is a legit belief that next year, we start to win these games.

I am confident in our FO. Confident that these players- this core group we can debate- will continue to grow, and next year, we start to see them win these close games.

We've seen flashes. We need more depth, more discipline, yes, more talent.

But, Briggs, you are wrong. This group is the group that becomes a winning franchise, and we don't need no starphuchs!

I agree but what is wrong with the nixluva approach?

This team is learning and growing. These are called growing pains. A little tweak here and there and we are going to be contenders for many years.

IMO my Preseason predictions get conflated with concepts for building this team. It’s not all the same. I’ve been supportive of this team’s current approach even with the recent losing record.

Now that this team has had a few drafts and more of a youth movement they should continue to try and stay with their 25 or younger approach.

Yes they have Vets playing a significant role this year but the long term is still more about the youth. Going All In on a 29 yr old for big money doesn’t make sense. Not with adding kids in the coming draft and a 19 and 22 yr old as part of your long term core.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/11/2018  9:02 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

The Nets are not going to make that deal.

More teams will be cap locked and entering the tax zone this offseason. That means absorbing bad contracts, the market price is going to go up.

If you want IT2 as a free agent, THJr has to be traded, and with no long term salary coming back and with non guaranteed contracts coming back as well. There is no way around it. No one wants Noah. No one wants Lance Thomas. No one wants the last two years of Lee. No one.

It's THJr or nothing.

Briggs, if you want to convince people IT2 is feasible, you will have to

A) Openly acknowledge signing him at all as a FA, for any length, is a bad market based decision. Just say it, Jesus H Christ. At this point, this isn't just a difference of opinion between you and everyone else, it's you acting like d*ck to people by ignoring their points that you don't like.

B) Find a way to trade THJr. Everything else on the roster, other teams don't want the players/contracts or the assets they do want are ones the Knicks want to keep. And I mean a trade that would pass The Mirror Test.

C) Find a way to fill the roster with "quality" role players in a way that minimizes the defensive damage caused by having IT on the roster. Hard to do when you're likely throwing in first-rounders as incentives to trade our bad contracts. Are you ready to start Frank? Just like Boston, we'll need to to pair IT with a defensive stud. Worst case scenario, you're looking at starting Lance Thomas. We're looking at another year of pain until cap space opens up. IT will be 30 by then. Will that roster win enough games to justify signing IT. I'm curious Briggs, what where your thoughts on the Antonio McDyess deal?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

1/11/2018  9:11 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Lets say for example
IT
Dinwddie
J Brunson
B Colson.

Yeah we aren't going to lose enough games this year to get the SF we need. Even though I don't believe in Frank as a legitimate difference maker I can't get past giving a 5'8 PG 25 million a year

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
fwk00
Member: #6048

1/11/2018  9:20 PM
NO to IT. Just no.
TripleThreat

1/11/2018  10:11 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Will that roster win enough games to justify signing IT.

My reasoning is likely to be dramatically different from Briggs. ( Using logic and all that...)

I see the next two years as burning time. Phil Jackson truly f**ked this team right at the end. Totally f**ked the next four years of this team in his last offseason. (Seriously, shut up Nix, no one wants to hear it from you right now)

I don't think Noah and Lance Thomas are movable. At all. That's two more years of just ugly contracts. I'm not quite sure Lee can be moved, not without taking in an equal salary of some kind for the same length. It stands to reason that Kanter will opt in. There are just too many bad contracts to progressively move forward. Worse, the more this team loses, the more it risks Zinger leaving the first chance he gets.

IT2 would be an open acknowledgement that the next two seasons are just burning time, but the team can at least be fun and entertaining while that time smokes off. He's a fun player to watch. Together with Zinger, they can probably get the 8th seed and form up some highlight reels. As long as they hold their draft picks, they can keep drafting guys and hoping they pan out.

With or without IT2, this is a team that won't be bad enough to get a high lottery pick.

If it's going to be a waste of two years because of the ugly contracts, then have it be two years where the team just has fun and makes it fun for the fans. Again, the SSOL Suns under Pringles and Nash was very much like this.

Briggs will likely think the Knicks can be a contender with IT2.

Yeah, no.

arkrud
Member: #995
USA
1/11/2018  11:54 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Will that roster win enough games to justify signing IT.

My reasoning is likely to be dramatically different from Briggs. ( Using logic and all that...)

I see the next two years as burning time. Phil Jackson truly f**ked this team right at the end. Totally f**ked the next four years of this team in his last offseason. (Seriously, shut up Nix, no one wants to hear it from you right now)

I don't think Noah and Lance Thomas are movable. At all. That's two more years of just ugly contracts. I'm not quite sure Lee can be moved, not without taking in an equal salary of some kind for the same length. It stands to reason that Kanter will opt in. There are just too many bad contracts to progressively move forward. Worse, the more this team loses, the more it risks Zinger leaving the first chance he gets.

IT2 would be an open acknowledgement that the next two seasons are just burning time, but the team can at least be fun and entertaining while that time smokes off. He's a fun player to watch. Together with Zinger, they can probably get the 8th seed and form up some highlight reels. As long as they hold their draft picks, they can keep drafting guys and hoping they pan out.

With or without IT2, this is a team that won't be bad enough to get a high lottery pick.

If it's going to be a waste of two years because of the ugly contracts, then have it be two years where the team just has fun and makes it fun for the fans. Again, the SSOL Suns under Pringles and Nash was very much like this.

Briggs will likely think the Knicks can be a contender with IT2.

Yeah, no.

So why to push the rebuild another 2 years in the future?
We kicked the can already 20 years so time to stop with idiotic moves to entertain fools now at the expense of the future.
We clearly are not making any big moves until Noah is out.
Knicks need players who want to establish the culture of winning for years to come.
IT has no time for this things.
We do need him and he does not need us.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Briggs, you are so wrong about this team

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy