Member: #298
USA
6/15/2018  3:36 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Chandler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:New video from his pro day:

Interesting stuff. If Carter and Young are gone, then I maybe have Knox as my 3rd choice, just above Mikal.

The main question mark is around his motor- I think maybe his blank face or lack of expressions may make him look lower intensity than he is, but at the same time what he thinks is him working hard might not be what the nba considers working hard.

does anyone remember Sam Perkins? Wouldn't mind that. On the flip side, never-nervous Pervis Ellison also had questions about motor and he was very disappointing.

personally I want someone who can dribble and pass -- make the offense a little more dynamic and flexible

He could be great or he could very easily turn out to be one of those disappointing SF/PF hybrids like Rudy Gay or Marvin Williams except less athletic! I really can't make up my mind on him!

Not for nothing but if Rudy Gay/Marvin Williams is the floor thats pretty good. I mean those guys didnt have the high impact you hope (Gay I think mostly because of injuries) but they were still solid NBA players.

My only expectation is we draft someone with a very high defensive ceiling. If Fizdale is bringing that Riley mentality our front office better draft a kid who can handle it.

I'd say Charlie Villanueva is his floor. I don't think he'll be that useless, but it's a possibility. He should more in college, but can't blame him for leaving.

CV sounds a little more realistic.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

6/15/2018  8:17 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
I agree about Miles. Haven't seen the other two to know if this is accurate.

I wish I could get excited about Miles...I just can't.

Just over 6'5" w/o shoes, average wingspan, average ball handler, and a jumper that might give him issues against taller players. Good athlete, tough kid, but MSU was lying about his height.

He lost weight...is he hoping to be able to play at SG?

Wouldn't go crazy if we took him, but wouldn't be jumping for joy, either.

How did MSU lie about his height. Most measurements are given with shoes and Miles measured 6'7" in shoes. Look at Lance Thomas is you want to get a sense of how Miles will look on an NBA court. His release looks fairly quick and compact, so I don't think he'll have much trouble getting it off. Plus, he's a lefty.

College teams frequently exaggerate player heights...I remember last year when Bridges was being looked at as a 3/4 swingman- now some are saying he's small for a SF and that with his shot, which is somewhat flat-footed with a low release, he might have issues playing against length. My guess is that his weight loss was done because he might be seen as a potential 2 guard.

Weaknesses: Bridges is not a great ball handler and can get sloppy with his dribble in the half court ... He does not project as a primary ball handler or shot creator at the next level and is more of a one or two dribble player instead of a playmaker. Bridges is listed by Michigan State as 6-7, but his last official measurements had him at 6-6 with a 6-9 wingspan ... The lack of height makes him undersized as a small forward and well undersized at the 4 ... He also does not have ideal length, which may hinder his ability to be as disruptive as a defender in the NBA against longer and more athletic players ... Despite his explosiveness, he does not get great lift on his jumper, which will generate questions about whether he will consistently be able to get his shot off against longer defenders in the NBA ... Bridges is also somewhat limited by his lack of a pull-up jumper and mid-range game ... The likelihood Bridges will develop into an offensive focal point who can create consistently for himself and others seems low ... It’s not a role he played in either season for the Spartans, and most future wing creators tend to show flashes of this at some point in college ...

Again...I'm not crying if we take him, but we could do better, IMO.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/15/2018  8:38 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Just over 6'5" w/o shoes, average wingspan, average ball handler, and a jumper that might give him issues against taller players. Good athlete, tough kid, but MSU was lying about his height.

How did MSU lie about his height. Most measurements are given with shoes and Miles measured 6'7" in shoes. Look at Lance Thomas is you want to get a sense of how Miles will look on an NBA court. His release looks fairly quick and compact, so I don't think he'll have much trouble getting it off. Plus, he's a lefty.

College teams frequently exaggerate player heights...I remember last year when Bridges was being looked at as a 3/4 swingman- now some are saying he's small for a SF and that with his shot, which is somewhat flat-footed with a low release, he might have issues playing against length. My guess is that his weight loss was done because he might be seen as a potential 2 guard.

Weaknesses: Bridges is not a great ball handler and can get sloppy with his dribble in the half court ... He does not project as a primary ball handler or shot creator at the next level and is more of a one or two dribble player instead of a playmaker. Bridges is listed by Michigan State as 6-7, but his last official measurements had him at 6-6 with a 6-9 wingspan ... The lack of height makes him undersized as a small forward and well undersized at the 4 ... He also does not have ideal length, which may hinder his ability to be as disruptive as a defender in the NBA against longer and more athletic players ... Despite his explosiveness, he does not get great lift on his jumper, which will generate questions about whether he will consistently be able to get his shot off against longer defenders in the NBA ... Bridges is also somewhat limited by his lack of a pull-up jumper and mid-range game ... The likelihood Bridges will develop into an offensive focal point who can create consistently for himself and others seems low ... It’s not a role he played in either season for the Spartans, and most future wing creators tend to show flashes of this at some point in college ...

Great article on Miles. It is a long one with lots of video analysis and charts comparing him to similar players. Here are the last two paragraphs. I hope he is the guy. I think he has more upside and is a better fit than Mikal. Porter scares me. If Carter or Young are there I think you have to take them otherwise take Miles please.
The current iteration of the NBA game relies on versatile shot-making on offense with the ability to play both on and off ball as a shooting threat, while retaining size and the ability to play team defense contesting opponent 3s and switching on defense. Bridges can conceptually do all of these things while bringing added toughness and strength elements to the table in being able to log minutes at the four holding up on the glass, giving whatever team drafts him the ability to put more playmaking on the floor. It’s unclear exactly how versatile Bridges will be defensively and if he can iron out some of his off-ball defensive lapses, but the swiss army knife appeal is there.

This class is loaded at the top with higher ceiling players than Bridges, but in terms of median outcomes Bridges fits what the current game covets. His enhanced diverse shooting and the degree of effectiveness there will ultimately determine his success in the league, along with his defense. If he can get into the stratosphere of Otto Porter as a shooter and bring more athletic dynamism to frame while defending respectably, that’s a tremendously valuable player.

Many questioned Bridges’ decision to return to East Lansing, but in doing so he instilled more confidence in his projection as a shooter, which is the lifeblood to his success at the next level. We’ll see how far it takes him on draft night.

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/03/01/miles-bridges-shot-diversity-part-two/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
6/15/2018  9:35 PM
Mike Schmidt (d.e.) was on the Woj pod today. Both guys said the Knicks were really impressed by Kevin Knox's workout.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/15/2018  10:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/16/2018  10:26 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Mike Schmidt (d.e.) was on the Woj pod today. Both guys said the Knicks were really impressed by Kevin Knox's workout.

He has the measurements and a ton of potential. Looked good in that pro day vid. If they dig deep and decide he is the best choice then I'm down with it.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/15/2018  11:01 PM
Interesting take on MPjr

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/15/2018  11:15 PM
CrushAlot
USA
6/16/2018  1:13 PM
Vecenie and Zwicker on the Game Theory pod have Miles at 8. They called him a plug and play, Swiss army knife type player./
WaltLongmire

6/16/2018  9:16 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Great article on Miles. It is a long one with lots of video analysis and charts comparing him to similar players. Here are the last two paragraphs. I hope he is the guy. I think he has more upside and is a better fit than Mikal. Porter scares me. If Carter or Young are there I think you have to take them otherwise take Miles please.
The current iteration of the NBA game relies on versatile shot-making on offense with the ability to play both on and off ball as a shooting threat, while retaining size and the ability to play team defense contesting opponent 3s and switching on defense. Bridges can conceptually do all of these things while bringing added toughness and strength elements to the table in being able to log minutes at the four holding up on the glass, giving whatever team drafts him the ability to put more playmaking on the floor. It’s unclear exactly how versatile Bridges will be defensively and if he can iron out some of his off-ball defensive lapses, but the swiss army knife appeal is there.

This class is loaded at the top with higher ceiling players than Bridges, but in terms of median outcomes Bridges fits what the current game covets. His enhanced diverse shooting and the degree of effectiveness there will ultimately determine his success in the league, along with his defense. If he can get into the stratosphere of Otto Porter as a shooter and bring more athletic dynamism to frame while defending respectably, that’s a tremendously valuable player.

Many questioned Bridges’ decision to return to East Lansing, but in doing so he instilled more confidence in his projection as a shooter, which is the lifeblood to his success at the next level. We’ll see how far it takes him on draft night.

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/03/01/miles-bridges-shot-diversity-part-two/

I know you like him,...I thought we might have taken a serious look at him last year before he pulled out.

Tough player with a lot of strength...I know they compare him to Crowder, sometimes.

Seems like a tweener.

Pretty sure that when he worked out for us he was there the same day as Zhaire Smith...wonder if we had them competing against each other.

Again...won't lose what hair I have left if we take him...but prefer others.

Willing to accept the player Perry picks for now...got to give him the benefit of the doubt, though I really don't want Sexton or Walker- I'd probably complain a bit if he took either of them at this point.

Also scared about Porter if he drops to our spot...

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

6/16/2018  9:37 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Mike Schmidt (d.e.) was on the Woj pod today. Both guys said the Knicks were really impressed by Kevin Knox's workout.

He has the measurements and a ton of potential. Looked good in that pro day vid. If they dig deep and decide he is the best choice then I'm down with it.

Interesting!...Knox and Miles Bridges went head to head...From this reporting it would seem that they prefer Knox if it comes down to taking him or Miles, OR are they just considering the possibility of taking him if somebody else they want is chosen before #9.

Some members of the Knicks organization came away ‘very impressed’ by Kentucky’s Kevin Knox after his performance in workout with the team last Saturday, per league sources. Knox worked out with a group that included Michigan State’s Miles Bridges. Knox and Bridges competed against one another in the workout, per sources. After the workout, members of the organization club inquired about Knox’s remaining workouts, asking if he had any workouts with teams drafting ahead of New York. That’s standard for the draft process, but perhaps indicates the club’s level of interest in drafting Knox. Knox is currently projected to be drafted at No. 9 by the Knicks in ESPN’s latest mock draft.

One advantage you have in Knox is that he has legitimate potential to play at the 3 or 4...We could have Knox/KP as our bigs in certain lineups- could cause trouble for some teams.

Anyone know what specifically impressed the Knicks about Knox?

CrushAlot
USA
6/17/2018  7:27 AM
Draftnet has a new mock out with Porter going to the Knicks.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/17/2018  9:54 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Draftnet has a new mock out with Porter going to the Knicks.
I have this funny feeling that porter is falling all the way to 9. The question is...do we pick him? There must be a reason he fell
WaltLongmire

6/17/2018  11:25 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Draftnet has a new mock out with Porter going to the Knicks.
I have this funny feeling that porter is falling all the way to 9. The question is...do we pick him? There must be a reason he fell

Seems that he might have been looked at on Friday...not a BB workout, but a physical.

If it went as well as it sounds...I figure there is no chance that he drops.

https://aroyalpain.com/2018/06/15/nba-draft-2018-michael-porter-jr-medical-evaluation-results/

reub
Member: #6227

6/17/2018  2:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2018  2:32 PM
I'd stay away from centers in this draft. In the modern NBA they are like afterthoughts. Pick wings and guards only. Besides, KP is destined for the five position eventually.
Where we're picking I'd be happy with any of Porter, Mikal, Knox, Sexton and obviously Young.
Second round: Jevon Carter, Bruce Brown, Okogie, Vanderbilt or Spellman.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/17/2018  6:20 PM
reub wrote:I'd stay away from centers in this draft. In the modern NBA they are like afterthoughts. Pick wings and guards only. Besides, KP is destined for the five position eventually.
Where we're picking I'd be happy with any of Porter, Mikal, Knox, Sexton and obviously Young.

And yet 5 of the top 8 picks will probably be centers or small ball centers.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Mike1989
Member: #8627

6/17/2018  7:09 PM
martin wrote:
reub wrote:I'd stay away from centers in this draft. In the modern NBA they are like afterthoughts. Pick wings and guards only. Besides, KP is destined for the five position eventually.

It's flawed logic but to an extent understandable.

Ayton offers elite size and athleticism, if he develops a consistent outside shot he's a unicorn, if he doesn't he's still got enough skills at both ends to be a go to option or second option.

JJJ is a high upside player that is an elite shot blocker and has a consistent outside shot. He's another athletic and lengthy player that can play PF or C much like KP. Another potential unicorn.

Bamba is viewed as a more athletic and quicker Rudy Gobert, and if he can develop an outside shot he will be a unicorn. If not he's got the athleticism, size and length to be a top tier defensive player and DPOTY candidate.

Bagley has the measurements of a C but the body of a forward. He's an elite athlete, a potential go to scorer, and has star potential.

The issue with Carter is he is an average to above average athlete, has above average size and length, and lacks quickness. Those factors limit his potential and might reduce his effectiveness in certain matchup. If he was a better athlete he's be a worthy of a top five pick but as it stands he's rightly on the fringe of the top ten and we might be better placed drafting a high upside guard or wing that brings length, athleticism and motor to the team rather than a slow footed PF/C prospect.

reub
Member: #6227

6/17/2018  7:43 PM
martin wrote:

I know. I see this as making Young and Sexton more valuable in this draft to teams ahead of us. Wouldn't be surprised if both of them are selected before we make our pick.

I'd be very happy with Porter, Knox, Mikal or Carter at #9 and 3 of them could actually still be available. Carter because of his tremendous versatility as a big.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/17/2018  10:52 PM
From Yahoo...

Philadelphia is loaded with young talent — Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, Robert Covington, Dario Saric, Markelle Fultz — and they are about to add to that with the No. 10 pick in the draft.

That, however, may not be enough.

The Sixers are exploring moving up in the draft, according to former Cavaliers GM David Griffin, speaking on SiriusXM NBA Radio Friday.

Interesting nugget in our @SiriusXMNBA NBA Draft special per David Griffin.

“Philly is very much looking to move up to get somebody they think will go in the top 5.”

— Tom Byrne (@1TomByrne) June 15, 2018

Who are they targeting? The expected top five (in some order) right now are DeAndre Ayton, Marvin Bagley III, Luka Doncic, Jaren Jackson Jr. and Mo Bamba. Getting the No. 1 pick away from the Suns is highly unlikely (unless you’re the Spurs with Kawhi Leonard), but it could be any of the other four that the Sixers covet. Or Michael Porter.

The other fundamental question: What would the Sixers have to give up to move up five spots? The trade would be the No. 10 pick and a player that’s good but they’re willing to surrender. Dario Saric?

The Sixers also want to keep their assets around in the chase for Kawhi Leonard, so how serious they truly are about moving up remains to be seen. But Griffin is well connected, this is not conjecture.

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
6/18/2018  9:07 AM
Miles Bridges ... not sure what is to like... he's extremely pedestrian.

Very low floor, very low ceiling.

smackeddog
Member: #883
6/18/2018  12:11 PM
Interesting article on what goes on during the actual draft, written by a former GM:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/18/nba-draft-2018-lakers-celtics-kings-grizzlies-agents

FIRST ROUND: NAVIGATING THE GREEN ROOM

As mentioned in previous articles, every player’s situation is different and draft day is no exception. Year after year agents like Bill Duffy and Jeff Schwartz are in the exclusive green room with their projected lottery pick clients. The tables in the green room are generally comprised of the player, the agent(s), family members, close friends, and the player’s college coach. This is the one time of year agents are on camera—whether they like it or not.

An agent in the green room can only hope his camera time comes early and that it is a shot of him giving his player a celebratory hug after hearing his player’s name called by NBA commissioner Adam Silver. The player receives his new team’s hat, goes on stage to shake Silver’s hand, and does a quick interview for the nationally televised draft coverage. Anyone who watches the draft each year has seen this a million times.

Once a player finishes his on-air interview he will usually receive a call from the general manager who just selected him. This call will be to congratulate the player and to let him know how excited the team is to have him. Generally, it will be addressed when they would like the player to come to town for the introductory press conference, which can be as early as the next morning. The player will then have a photo shoot behind the scenes at the draft and do a number of interviews for various media outlets. Finally, the player and his entourage will usually have a late dinner or attend a party… a well deserved celebration!

There are five minutes in between each first round pick being announced, meaning there are over two hours from the No. 1 pick in the draft until the last pick in the first round. For a player and his agent this time feels like an eternity. The uncertainty of where the player will be drafted can be gut-wrenching. Naturally, the NBA has limited the number of players invited to the green room to about 15 in an effort to avoid the dramatic scenes of players being visibly upset on camera. It is human nature to want more and generally players expect to be on the high side of their draft range. Emotions are running high and when a player begins to slip in the draft, often times he will get frustrated with his agent.

In these moments of panic the agent is often times on the phone. But who is the agent speaking to and what is he saying? An agent will call teams that have upcoming picks to try to figure out if they intend to select their player, if any trades are in the works, or just to gather any relative information to relay to the player and his family in hopes of relieving some of the tension. At this point, a player and his agent have already done 99.9% of the work toward getting drafted. In most cases, these calls are only for show or out of desperation.

There are some situations in which an agent will make a call during the draft to lobby against a certain team selecting their player in order for their player to fall to a team that they prefer for whatever reason. For example, I was told a story directly from a high-ranking team executive that he had received calls during the draft one year from a prominent agent before making a lottery selection. The agent had threatened to ruin this executive’s career if he selected his player. Well, that team selected the player and the executive still works for his same team years later.

For the most part, agents and players who are in the green room will have a great night celebrating the fruits of their labor. But what about players who are drafted in the second round or go undrafted all together? An agent representing one of these players has a lot of work to do and possibly some tough decisions to make on draft night.

The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy