[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread
Author Thread
reub
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6227

6/5/2018  5:22 PM
I believe that we will be faced with the huge decision of selecting MPJr. We really need to get the best medical opinions on him because selecting (or not selecting) him will be what will be remembered about this draft years from now. It could make or break our franchise.
AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/5/2018  5:29 PM
reub wrote:I believe that we will be faced with the huge decision of selecting MPJr. We really need to get the best medical opinions on him because selecting (or not selecting) him will be what will be remembered about this draft years from now. It could make or break our franchise.

If he is there that means the other talent that we are considering has probably been taken and would leave us with no choice but to take him. But I would see what his market can generate.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/5/2018  5:34 PM
I see we're working out Anfernee Simmons. That's got to be the scariest pick in the draft. Anyone have any insight on him? Heck, a year in China would be better than what we have to go on now.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/5/2018  6:55 PM
NotInMyHouse wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
NotInMyHouse wrote:
reub wrote:Trae Young is working out for us today. After watching Steph Curry go off last night I'm starting to warm to Trae's possibilities here in NY.

Trae is literally a generational talent on offense.
The problem is, he is a YMCA talent on defense.
However, I doubt whoever is guarding him will keep up with his scoring (considering how he can hit the 3 point shot) and his ability to see the floor and get team mates involved.

Read somebody who followed Young say that he was a much better defender before he came to college.

He has also gained some decent weight while losing body fat.

Can't say I'm in love with him, primarily because of his D potential, but he seems to have worked hard leading up to the draft.

I know that Isiah Thomas is shorter...but can we use him as an example of a fine offensive player who simply couldn't make the grade as a defender, and thus lost value.

And don't think Young not being a good defender is only about him...who picks up fouls trying to cover for a poor perimeter defender's inability to prevent penetration or deal with the pick and roll?
Isiah was able to get by with a group of great defenders on Boston...his value is marginalized on a team without a good help defense.

KP is the guy on the Knicks who is going to be hurt by poor perimeter defenders, since he is always, sometimes to his own detriment, looking to block penetrators. Also remember, when KP collapses to block a shot, his man is also left open.

I'm just trusting our people to make the right choice. Fizdale had a two-way PG in Memphis, and his PG's when he was with the heat were more assist men and defenders than scorers. Not sure what he is looking for in his backcourt now.

Interesting that Young was a better defender before college. Makes sense as he was most of the teams offense.
I don't think he will be there when we pick. I would prefer a 2 way player but again, his offense is so incredible that it sort of negates some of his defense.
Correct, he will put pressure on KP, but if the rest of our team is solid (big IF), then we can live with that. He can really distribute the rock, so his offense is not just scoring.
I think it is very very notable that he lead college in scoring AND assists. Rare feat.
Good points, perhaps Young really will shine in the pros as he isn't going to be depended on at all like in College.
Yeah, trusting in management. Glad we don't have to make all these decisions. Not even that guy here who starts all those threads. lol

I always end up falling back on the scouting team and doctors we have looking at players.

I have my favorites, and I'm worried about Young as a defender, but the guys we have looking at him will be seeing things none of us are privy to. Got to trust the brass, I guess.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/5/2018  6:57 PM
reub wrote:I believe that we will be faced with the huge decision of selecting MPJr. We really need to get the best medical opinions on him because selecting (or not selecting) him will be what will be remembered about this draft years from now. It could make or break our franchise.

Can't see Perry, in his first draft, not doing his due diligence on Porter...
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/5/2018  10:21 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:I see we're working out Anfernee Simmons. That's got to be the scariest pick in the draft. Anyone have any insight on him? Heck, a year in China would be better than what we have to go on now.
The Stepien had him ranked as a tier 3 prospect and #9 overall for the 2019 draft. They compared his situation to the kid from Kentucky, Diallo last year.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/5/2018  10:29 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:I see we're working out Anfernee Simmons. That's got to be the scariest pick in the draft. Anyone have any insight on him? Heck, a year in China would be better than what we have to go on now.
The Stepien had him ranked as a tier 3 prospect and #9 overall for the 2019 draft. They compared his situation to the kid from Kentucky, Diallo last year.

Wonder what the consensus was for Diallo last year for the 2018 draft.... cause he may have lost standings by going to college?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG

6/5/2018  11:40 PM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
The Stepien had him ranked as a tier 3 prospective and #9 overall for the 2019 draft. They compared his situation to the kid from Kentucky, Diallo last year.

Wonder what the consensus was for Diallo last year for the 2018 draft.... cause he may have lost standings by going to college?

He started out as a potential lottery picked but fell to the 20s in most mocks last year. Same thing happened again this season. He was projected potential lottery, but fell even further down. Going back to Kentucky cost him a lot of money.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Gudris
Member: #6213

6/6/2018  2:36 AM
DO you people think it is by accident KP is spending half summer in Madrid where Luka Donchich is playing or he is also doing recruiting job?
Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/6/2018  10:20 AM
Gudris wrote:DO you people think it is by accident KP is spending half summer in Madrid where Luka Donchich is playing or he is also doing recruiting job?

accident

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/6/2018  12:56 PM
Gudris wrote:DO you people think it is by accident KP is spending half summer in Madrid where Luka Donchich is playing or he is also doing recruiting job?

Accident.
If he wants to play in NY he can tell all teams he will play in Madrid for two more years unless he is traded to NY. NY can lowball.
Teams might pass and take the next player. At the same time if a team wants to call his bluff, like Clev, they can take him and either wait on him or convince Lebron to stay and maybe Luca wants to change his mind.

WE all love a good story.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/6/2018  2:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/6/2018  2:07 PM
I feel pretty good well get one of Mikal Bridges Wendal carter or Trae Young. As long as Porter goes top 7--were guaranteed one of these guys. Im going to stay safe. Im going to pass on Sexton. If Hutchinbson showed me he could shoot the three better Id put him in the mix too--but Im not privy to pre draft workouts and he closed it down. But I guess that hed be the next guy after Bridges Carter Young if the draft goes awry
RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/6/2018  2:28 PM
BRIGGS wrote:I feel pretty good well get one of Mikal Bridges Wendal carter or Trae Young. As long as Porter goes top 7--were guaranteed one of these guys. Im going to stay safe. Im going to pass on Sexton. If Hutchinbson showed me he could shoot the three better Id put him in the mix too--but Im not privy to pre draft workouts and he closed it down. But I guess that hed be the next guy after Bridges Carter Young if the draft goes awry

What's your opinion of Porter?

Mike1989
Member: #8627

6/6/2018  2:43 PM

I think we would need to trade up in order to get Doncic. Perhaps we can do a deal with Memphis if Doncic is still on the board?

My assumption is they will try to get back to the play offs next season with a healthy Mike Conley and Marc Gasol leading the way. Let's do a deal something like:

They receive
- Tim Hardaway (SG/SF), Lance Thomas (SF/PF), 9th overall pick
- Courtney Lee (SG/PF), Lance Thomas (SF/PF), 9th overall pick [this deal saves them $5 million in cap space]
- Tim Hardaway (SG/SF), Courtney Lee (SG/PF), Lance Thomas (SF/PF), 9th overall pick

*it is possible we could have to include a future pick in such a deal, so throw them a first round pick with lottery protection through 2020 then after that takeaway the protection in the third year by that point we should be back in the play offs. Maybe throw our second round pick in from this year.

This deal works for them because when you look at the options at 9 they can draft a player that should be able to come in straight away and do a job for them. Mikal Bridges is a pro ready player that can start at SG or SF, Wendell Carter could play PF or C, Miles Bridges can play SF or PF, or they could reach for Zhaire Smith.

The other benefit of this deal comes with the veteran influx. Tim Hardaway would give them a near 20 a night guy to pair with Conley in the back court. Lance Thomas and Courtney Lee would add depth to their bench or they could even start.

We receive
- Chandler Parsons (SF), 4th overall pick
- " "
- Chandler Parsons (SF), Ben McLemore (SG), 4th overall pick

Now in an ideal world we don't want to be acquiring Chandler Parsons, but I could stomach his remaining two seasons at $25 million if it means getting Luka Doncic on the team. At the end of the day when he's healthy he can start at SF with Doncic at SG, or we can utilize Parsons as a small ball PF, or even just have him be our very expensive off the bench option.

In the final deal acquiring Ben McLemore gives us another talented guard that can knock down three pointers and add some scoring to our second unit or even starting line up depending on how we decide to line up.

Potential Roster
- PG: Ntilikina / Burke / Mudiay
- SG: Lee / Dotson / Baker
- SF: Doncic
- PF: Porzingis (when healthy) / Parsons
- C: Kanter (if he opts in) / Noah

- SG: Hardaway / Dotson / Baker

- SG: McLemore / Dotson / Baker

I'm not sure how willing Memphis would be to do a trade down these lines but getting two or three veterans plus a pro ready player from this year's draft and then future draft capital (most likely a 2020 or 2021 unprotected first round pick) could be enough to tempt them if they aren't 100% sure on Doncic and the other prospects. I personally wouldn't do a deal if I was them, I would be looking to blow up their roster and start their rebuild around the 4th overall pick and try to trade Conley and Gasol for assets.

BigDaddyG

6/6/2018  2:52 PM
Mike1989 wrote:

I think we would need to trade up in order to get Doncic. Perhaps we can do a deal with Memphis if Doncic is still on the board?

My assumption is they will try to get back to the play offs next season with a healthy Mike Conley and Marc Gasol leading the way. Let's do a deal something like:

They receive
- Tim Hardaway (SG/SF), Lance Thomas (SF/PF), 9th overall pick
- Courtney Lee (SG/PF), Lance Thomas (SF/PF), 9th overall pick [this deal saves them $5 million in cap space]
- Tim Hardaway (SG/SF), Courtney Lee (SG/PF), Lance Thomas (SF/PF), 9th overall pick

*it is possible we could have to include a future pick in such a deal, so throw them a first round pick with lottery protection through 2020 then after that takeaway the protection in the third year by that point we should be back in the play offs. Maybe throw our second round pick in from this year.

This deal works for them because when you look at the options at 9 they can draft a player that should be able to come in straight away and do a job for them. Mikal Bridges is a pro ready player that can start at SG or SF, Wendell Carter could play PF or C, Miles Bridges can play SF or PF, or they could reach for Zhaire Smith.

The other benefit of this deal comes with the veteran influx. Tim Hardaway would give them a near 20 a night guy to pair with Conley in the back court. Lance Thomas and Courtney Lee would add depth to their bench or they could even start.

We receive
- Chandler Parsons (SF), 4th overall pick
- " "
- Chandler Parsons (SF), Ben McLemore (SG), 4th overall pick

Now in an ideal world we don't want to be acquiring Chandler Parsons, but I could stomach his remaining two seasons at $25 million if it means getting Luka Doncic on the team. At the end of the day when he's healthy he can start at SF with Doncic at SG, or we can utilize Parsons as a small ball PF, or even just have him be our very expensive off the bench option.

In the final deal acquiring Ben McLemore gives us another talented guard that can knock down three pointers and add some scoring to our second unit or even starting line up depending on how we decide to line up.

Potential Roster
- SG: Lee / Dotson / Baker

- SG: Hardaway / Dotson / Baker

- SG: McLemore / Dotson / Baker

I'm not sure how willing Memphis would be to do a trade down these lines but getting two or three veterans plus a pro ready player from this year's draft and then future draft capital (most likely a 2020 or 2021 unprotected first round pick) could be enough to tempt them if they aren't 100% sure on Doncic and the other prospects. I personally wouldn't do a deal if I was them, I would be looking to blow up their roster and start their rebuild around the 4th overall pick and try to trade Conley and Gasol for assets.

I think Memphis keeps Doncic. The reason all these rumors of the Grizzlies wanting to trade pick came about because it was thought they'd grab Doncic. They'd pray to whatever gd that collective group worshipped if Doncic fell to them lol
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
6/6/2018  4:14 PM
it's bizarre to me that Ayton and Bamba aren't the far and away 1a/1b (take your pick) of this draft.
blkexec
Member: #748
6/6/2018  4:47 PM
I wonder why no one is talking about adding both Mikal and Jaylen (PG).....I think both players are better than what we have at SF and PG. Plus they already have chemistry together and Jaylen understands where Mikals hot spots are.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BigDaddyG

6/6/2018  5:02 PM
anrst wrote:it's bizarre to me that Ayton and Bamba aren't the far and away 1a/1b (take your pick) of this draft.

Bamba still has a ways to go physically and skill wise. Ayton's tenacity has been questioned and his D isn't as good as it should be. They are 1a and 1b in terms of upside.

BigDaddyG

6/6/2018  5:05 PM
blkexec wrote:I wonder why no one is talking about adding both Mikal and Jaylen (PG).....I think both players are better than what we have at SF and PG. Plus they already have chemistry together and Jaylen understands where Mikals hot spots are.

Disagree with you about Jaylen, but it's harder to track late first rounders/second rounders. He's worth a look if he's still around at #36, but it's probably unlikely.

reub
Member: #6227

6/6/2018  5:21 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
blkexec wrote:I wonder why no one is talking about adding both Mikal and Jaylen (PG).....I think both players are better than what we have at SF and PG. Plus they already have chemistry together and Jaylen understands where Mikals hot spots are.

Disagree with you about Jaylen, but it's harder to track late first rounders/second rounders. He's worth a look if he's still around at #36, but it's probably unlikely.

We're taking Jarred Vanderbilt at 36. I hope.
The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy