[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/2/2018  12:00 PM
Nalod wrote:So if Porter falls to 9 do those defective back rumors go away if we take him/

Depends on how bad when evaluated. But for him to drop means all the other top rated prospects got snatched up. Which at that point he would be worth the gamble. Or just like I stated in the Trey Burke thread. A team like say Denver, say Porter, Noah & Lee for #14, Plummlee and Faried.

Take Miles or Hutchinson at #14. Or see if ATL would trade #19 & #30 for #14.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

6/2/2018  12:17 PM
smackeddog wrote:Every time I start wondering if Kevin Knox is worth gambling on, I can't get this vid out of my mind- are his dribbling and handle really as bad as they look in this:

First time I saw this...and I included Knox as a possibility for us in a thread I did after looking at game vids.

Very awkward and loose with his dribble at times. Not good, but is this an issue he had during the year, too, or is it a matter of him trying to do things he never does in games?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/2/2018  12:51 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Good stuff on Miles, Wendel and Lonnie.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23591050/five-potential-nba-draft-steals-break-next-level

Good article

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/2/2018  1:14 PM
Mike1989 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Nalod wrote:So if Porter falls to 9 do those defective back rumors go away if we take him/

Apparantly it's concerns for the back (no ones seen the medicals yet) AND concerns over his attitude (interviews at the combine raised concerns), which is why the draft express guy has him going 7 to 10

Makes me wonder if Porter is trying to get his draft stock to fall to end up at a team in the 7-10 range like Chicago, Cleveland or us rather than a team like Orlando or Sacramento? Or does he legitimately have an attitude problem and something he doesn't want to get out from his medical?

When do guys with real physical issues do such a thing?
I get "Kobe", "Eli Manning", etc of guys that don't want to go certain places but have leverage.
What Leverage does porter have?

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/2/2018  1:45 PM
Nalod wrote:
Mike1989 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Apparantly it's concerns for the back (no ones seen the medicals yet) AND concerns over his attitude (interviews at the combine raised concerns), which is why the draft express guy has him going 7 to 10

Makes me wonder if Porter is trying to get his draft stock to fall to end up at a team in the 7-10 range like Chicago, Cleveland or us rather than a team like Orlando or Sacramento? Or does he legitimately have an attitude problem and something he doesn't want to get out from his medical?

I get "Kobe", "Eli Manning", etc of guys that don't want to go certain places but have leverage.

He can choose who he releases his medical records to. See Dennis Smith jr.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
6/2/2018  3:45 PM
Mike1989
Member: #8627

6/2/2018  5:52 PM
Nalod wrote:
Mike1989 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Michael Porter is a very talented player even with the question marks that are next to his name. Some team will gladly draft him and be very happy with themselves, however he can create some leverage when it comes to what places he wants to play and doesn't want to play...

If Porter doesn't give 1-6 his medical records, but gives 7-9 his medical records, then any team considering him in the top six would be taking a risk if they've never seen his medical records. We generally see Ayton, Bagley, Bamba, Doncic, JJJ, Porter and Young as the top seven with Mikal Bridges, Collin Sexton and Wendell Carter often tipped as the next tier down. So from Porter's perspective holding back his medical info does create some leverage because teams picking high might not be willing to take a risk on him with the other talent available.

The other thing that has been mentioned is his attitude in interviews. These guys have to sell themselves to the teams in those interviews and if you don't want to go to Orlando or Sacramento, but you do want to go to Chicago or Cleveland, do you put 100% into all four interviews or would you give your best to Chicago and Cleveland but be kinda like "meh" in the Orlando and Sacramento interviews? That might be a way of putting certain teams off picking you. Or you could just come out and say you don't want to play for so-and-so in the interview or publicly, this doesn't mean that team won't pick you but that might influence their decision.

With that said the problem for Porter is that a team could just select him regardless of what he does. They would then hold his draft rights. He could refuse to play and not sign a contract, but unless they give up his rights he won't be eligible to sign with someone else, so he would have to try and force a trade which could be difficult. The alternative could be to sit out a year and not play any basketball which would see his draft rights expire and thus become eligible to re-enter the following year's draft (unless I'm mistaken?). The problem with that approach is that Porter would have barely played in two years and would then be fighting with another crop of young prospects, which might see him hurt his stock and potential earnings coming into the league.

Personally I don't see this being an issue for Porter.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/2/2018  11:48 PM
Mike1989 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Mike1989 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Michael Porter is a very talented player even with the question marks that are next to his name. Some team will gladly draft him and be very happy with themselves, however he can create some leverage when it comes to what places he wants to play and doesn't want to play...

If Porter doesn't give 1-6 his medical records, but gives 7-9 his medical records, then any team considering him in the top six would be taking a risk if they've never seen his medical records. We generally see Ayton, Bagley, Bamba, Doncic, JJJ, Porter and Young as the top seven with Mikal Bridges, Collin Sexton and Wendell Carter often tipped as the next tier down. So from Porter's perspective holding back his medical info does create some leverage because teams picking high might not be willing to take a risk on him with the other talent available.

The other thing that has been mentioned is his attitude in interviews. These guys have to sell themselves to the teams in those interviews and if you don't want to go to Orlando or Sacramento, but you do want to go to Chicago or Cleveland, do you put 100% into all four interviews or would you give your best to Chicago and Cleveland but be kinda like "meh" in the Orlando and Sacramento interviews? That might be a way of putting certain teams off picking you. Or you could just come out and say you don't want to play for so-and-so in the interview or publicly, this doesn't mean that team won't pick you but that might influence their decision.

With that said the problem for Porter is that a team could just select him regardless of what he does. They would then hold his draft rights. He could refuse to play and not sign a contract, but unless they give up his rights he won't be eligible to sign with someone else, so he would have to try and force a trade which could be difficult. The alternative could be to sit out a year and not play any basketball which would see his draft rights expire and thus become eligible to re-enter the following year's draft (unless I'm mistaken?). The problem with that approach is that Porter would have barely played in two years and would then be fighting with another crop of young prospects, which might see him hurt his stock and potential earnings coming into the league.

Personally I don't see this being an issue for Porter.

Short of a player like Lebron in the draft class...no team is going to deal with the public embarrassment of drafting a player in the top 5 that is going to pull an Elway....the agents will be pushing teams to pass...look at KP....Hinkie would have taken him if KPs team played ball...they didn't and he fell into Phils lap...

Back injuries are tricky....no records no pick is what most teams will say when the talent is similar

reub
Member: #6227

6/4/2018  10:46 AM
Trae Young is working out for us today. After watching Steph Curry go off last night I'm starting to warm to Trae's possibilities here in NY.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/4/2018  11:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/4/2018  11:26 AM
reub wrote:Trae Young is working out for us today. After watching Steph Curry go off last night I'm starting to warm to Trae's possibilities here in NY.

Isn't this how impressions lead to unfulfilled expectatons.
Took Steph a few years to get healthy before he became amazing. Trae is two years younger coming in the league.
Will you be patient? Are you with Frank?
We pick Trae to be steph and thus a templete. Does Frank has one?
Trae captured your fancy as two time MVP Curry leading his team to a 2-0 run in the finals.
Understandable. Im sure there is more than just one instance so please don't feel Im diluting your statement.

NotInMyHouse
Member: #6433

6/4/2018  3:35 PM
reub wrote:Trae Young is working out for us today. After watching Steph Curry go off last night I'm starting to warm to Trae's possibilities here in NY.

Trae is literally a generational talent on offense.
The problem is, he is a YMCA talent on defense.
However, I doubt whoever is guarding him will keep up with his scoring (considering how he can hit the 3 point shot) and his ability to see the floor and get team mates involved.

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R.R. Martin
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/4/2018  4:08 PM
NotInMyHouse wrote:

However, I doubt whoever is guarding him will keep up with his scoring (considering how he can hit the 3 point shot) and his ability to see the floor and get team mates involved.

Read somebody who followed Young say that he was a much better defender before he came to college.

He has also gained some decent weight while losing body fat.

Can't say I'm in love with him, primarily because of his D potential, but he seems to have worked hard leading up to the draft.

I know that Isiah Thomas is shorter...but can we use him as an example of a fine offensive player who simply couldn't make the grade as a defender, and thus lost value.

And don't think Young not being a good defender is only about him...who picks up fouls trying to cover for a poor perimeter defender's inability to prevent penetration or deal with the pick and roll?
Isiah was able to get by with a group of great defenders on Boston...his value is marginalized on a team without a good help defense.

KP is the guy on the Knicks who is going to be hurt by poor perimeter defenders, since he is always, sometimes to his own detriment, looking to block penetrators. Also remember, when KP collapses to block a shot, his man is also left open.

I'm just trusting our people to make the right choice. Fizdale had a two-way PG in Memphis, and his PG's when he was with the heat were more assist men and defenders than scorers. Not sure what he is looking for in his backcourt now.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/4/2018  6:34 PM
They have Bamba at 7. If it played out that way, would be tempting I imagine for Perry/Mills to consider trying to trade up a couple of spots. In part to keep Bamba from Boston. KP/Bamba would be like one big stop sign, lol.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-this-two-round-projection-is-dominated-by-big-men-at-the-top/amp/

9. Knicks

Collin Sexton | Alabama | Fr | PG

Sexton is smaller than people realize, and I think that could hurt him when it comes to being selected in spots 5-8. Hard to see how he gets past No. 9, though. New York has a nice current point guard in Frank Ntilikina, but Sexton has the athleticism and competitive streak to step in and be a star in New York.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/4/2018  7:23 PM
If we can get Miles Bridges and SGA ant 12-13 and the Clips can get who they want at the 9 we should definitely look at that. If Mikal drops that far because of the fascination people have with no defense ball hogs then eeven better.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
USA
6/4/2018  10:16 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:If we can get Miles Bridges and SGA ant 12-13 and the Clips can get who they want at the 9 we should definitely look at that. If Mikal drops that far because of the fascination people have with no defense ball hogs then eeven better.
If Mikal drops it is because of his age and the high floor/low ceiling projection he has. I would love for the Knicks to get Miles. I think he would be my choice of the Bridges but I would be happy with Mikal. Also, someone mentioned Bamba possibly dropping to 7. If he falls there I think the Knicks would be smart to try and trade up.
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
6/5/2018  1:13 PM
is ayton for sure better than bamba?
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/5/2018  1:25 PM
Well, after all this discussion, I'm completely undecided - don't know whether to take a gamble on Knox or Lonnie Walker, whether to go for or stay clear of Young or Sexton, or whether to play it safe and go for Mikal. Or whether Wendle Jr or Porter Jr will fall to us.
NotInMyHouse
Member: #6433

6/5/2018  3:11 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
NotInMyHouse wrote:

Read somebody who followed Young say that he was a much better defender before he came to college.

He has also gained some decent weight while losing body fat.

Can't say I'm in love with him, primarily because of his D potential, but he seems to have worked hard leading up to the draft.

I know that Isiah Thomas is shorter...but can we use him as an example of a fine offensive player who simply couldn't make the grade as a defender, and thus lost value.

And don't think Young not being a good defender is only about him...who picks up fouls trying to cover for a poor perimeter defender's inability to prevent penetration or deal with the pick and roll?
Isiah was able to get by with a group of great defenders on Boston...his value is marginalized on a team without a good help defense.

KP is the guy on the Knicks who is going to be hurt by poor perimeter defenders, since he is always, sometimes to his own detriment, looking to block penetrators. Also remember, when KP collapses to block a shot, his man is also left open.

I'm just trusting our people to make the right choice. Fizdale had a two-way PG in Memphis, and his PG's when he was with the heat were more assist men and defenders than scorers. Not sure what he is looking for in his backcourt now.

Interesting that Young was a better defender before college. Makes sense as he was most of the teams offense.
I don't think he will be there when we pick. I would prefer a 2 way player but again, his offense is so incredible that it sort of negates some of his defense.
Correct, he will put pressure on KP, but if the rest of our team is solid (big IF), then we can live with that. He can really distribute the rock, so his offense is not just scoring.
I think it is very very notable that he lead college in scoring AND assists. Rare feat.
Good points, perhaps Young really will shine in the pros as he isn't going to be depended on at all like in College.
Yeah, trusting in management. Glad we don't have to make all these decisions. Not even that guy here who starts all those threads. lol

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R.R. Martin
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/5/2018  3:50 PM
anrst wrote:is ayton for sure better than bamba?
No.. Bamba can be a better Clint Capella who shoots 3s and leads the league in blocks
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/5/2018  4:46 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2779614-mo-bamba-reportedly-ran-faster-than-russell-westbrook-james-harden-in-workout

Texas center Mo Bamba's already lofty draft stock may be on the rise after reportedly turning in a great performance in the three-quarter-court sprint during his private workout with the Chicago Bulls on Friday.

According to K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune, Bamba finished the sprint in 3.04 seconds.

Per Jordan Schultz of Yahoo Sports, that reported time was faster than the one several current NBA All-Star guards posted, including Russell Westbrook (3.08), Dwyane Wade (3.08), James Harden (3.13), John Wall (3.14), Kemba Walker (3.16) and Victor Oladipo (3.25).

Bamba did not run at the NBA combine, but Pierno noted that his reported time would have tied Georgia Tech guard Josh Okogie for the fastest time at the combine.

The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy