The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
3/30/2018  9:37 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
codeunknown wrote:Updated Draft ranking, assuming the top 6 are Ayton, Bagley, Porter, Bamba, Doncic and Jackson Jr.

1. Trae Young
2. Lonnie Walker - this guy I don't remember being mentioned here, but at our draft position, in my opinion he has to be taken before anyone not named Young.
3. Mikal Bridges
4. Wendell Carter

The "safe" pick if hes there is Carter. We dont know how good he really could be because Duke played double big all year.
But the bottom line
is this
6-10 260 with a 7-3 wingspan--nba ready body at 19
Put it up across the board points three point shooting ft sg FG% passer shot blocker rebounder toughness durability and also played double big. Youre getting a lot there if at 9. I like him MUCH better than Jackson and hes no where near as raw as Bamba
He has a very similar profile to Alonzo Mourning
We dont know about Kanter nor do we know about KP for now. If we have Kanter for one more year we can start Carter at the 4 as he can guard outside/in and would physically mismatch most NBA 4 men.

I agree. Carter and Bridges are both safe picks to me. Carter is actually a very good fit next to KP moving forward. He's a Horford clone. If we were to draft him, he would likely come off the bench next season, and would be starting alongside KP the following year, but it would mean letting Kanter go, which would be either good or bad depending on your opinion. I can see him as not a star, but a 15 and 10 guy who plays tough D.

AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/30/2018  9:52 AM
Right now my big board is:

1. Doncic- dominating the 2nd best league in the world. Has star potential with a high ceiling. Comparison Hayward
2. Ayton- I have concerns about his defense and competitive drive. Goes through the motions, but talent is crazy. Comparison Cousins (not exactly the same game, but talented big man with questionable personality to become a franchise player.)
3. Bagley- high ceiling but lacks true position and not good defensively. Comparison Bosh
4. Porter- Great talent, questionable drive. Comparison- P George
5. Bamba- Defensive pillar, but can he develop enough offense to be a star? Comparison Gobert
6. Carter- well rounded big man with high floor. Do it all. Comparison Horford
7. Mikal Bridges- Floor is 3 & D wing, but still has potential to be more. Comparison O Porter
8. Young- Good talent but huge gamble. Should do fine, but probably has the lowest floor of the top guys. Comparison M Bibby/Trey Burke (now)
9. Sexton- Great scoring guard, can he shoot and distribute well enough? Comparison E Bledsoe
10. J Jackson- Upside to be a good defensive bigman and outside shooter. Comparison Myles Turner

codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
3/30/2018  11:02 AM

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/30/2018  11:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/30/2018  11:33 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
codeunknown wrote:Updated Draft ranking, assuming the top 6 are Ayton, Bagley, Porter, Bamba, Doncic and Jackson Jr.

1. Trae Young
2. Lonnie Walker - this guy I don't remember being mentioned here, but at our draft position, in my opinion he has to be taken before anyone not named Young.
3. Mikal Bridges
4. Wendell Carter

The "safe" pick if hes there is Carter. We dont know how good he really could be because Duke played double big all year.
But the bottom line
is this
6-10 260 with a 7-3 wingspan--nba ready body at 19
Put it up across the board points three point shooting ft sg FG% passer shot blocker rebounder toughness durability and also played double big. Youre getting a lot there if at 9. I like him MUCH better than Jackson and hes no where near as raw as Bamba
He has a very similar profile to Alonzo Mourning
We dont know about Kanter nor do we know about KP for now. If we have Kanter for one more year we can start Carter at the 4 as he can guard outside/in and would physically mismatch most NBA 4 men.

This would be a great problem. My Top 2 picks, for Knicks, since the year started have been Carter and Mikal. Just don't think both will be there though. Do think if we get either or Knox I will be happy.

A big man who passes posts shoots 3's rebounds and defends well with long arms might be the smartest move. The nice thing is he has an NBA ready body. Hes not a high flyer but he will be steady and help our guards with in/out play. With mnay big players in the east--we need to counter.

Also Id do what I can do get Hutchinson--maybe pair both 2's to move up--him or Holiday. Also like Frazier later in rd 2.

RIP Crushalot😞
BigDaddyG
Member: #3049

3/30/2018  11:49 AM
Knixkik wrote:Right now my big board is:

1. Doncic- dominating the 2nd best league in the world. Has star potential with a high ceiling. Comparison Hayward
2. Ayton- I have concerns about his defense and competitive drive. Goes through the motions, but talent is crazy. Comparison Cousins (not exactly the same game, but talented big man with questionable personality to become a franchise player.)
3. Bagley- high ceiling but lacks true position and not good defensively. Comparison Bosh
4. Porter- Great talent, questionable drive. Comparison- P George
5. Bamba- Defensive pillar, but can he develop enough offense to be a star? Comparison Gobert
6. Carter- well rounded big man with high floor. Do it all. Comparison Horford
7. Mikal Bridges- Floor is 3 & D wing, but still has potential to be more. Comparison O Porter
8. Young- Good talent but huge gamble. Should do fine, but probably has the lowest floor of the top guys. Comparison M Bibby/Trey Burke (now)
9. Sexton- Great scoring guard, can he shoot and distribute well enough? Comparison E Bledsoe
10. J Jackson- Upside to be a good defensive bigman and outside shooter. Comparison Myles Turner

I think you have e Jackson too low. We have to take him if he falls thatow. I think he also blends in with KPs game. He's a bit more explosive than Carter and that's why I think he goes earlier. But I agree with most of your slots. Porter is going to be the wildcard, depending on how his workouts turn out. I definitely think we'd go Jackson over Sexton at 9 if that were to pan.out.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

3/30/2018  11:52 AM
codeunknown wrote:

Lonnie is pretty polarizing. He projected as a low lottery pick at the start of the season, then his stock fell and rose again. His season was to rocky for me to consider him that high, but he could sneak into the bottom of the lottery.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
codeunknown
3/30/2018  11:57 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
codeunknown wrote:

Lonnie is pretty polarizing. He projected as a low lottery pick at the start of the season, then his stock fell and rose again. His season was to rocky for me to consider him that high, but he could sneak into the bottom of the lottery.

Yeah agree that he's polarizing. To me, this is the home run swing akin to picking KP. You either win really big or have massive egg on your face.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
BigDaddyG

3/30/2018  12:14 PM
codeunknown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
codeunknown wrote:

Yeah agree that he's polarizing. To me, this is the home run swing akin to picking KP. You either win really big or have massive egg on your face.

That's the thing...I do see some Donovan Mitchell in him. There's a part of me that thinks he could be a monster with more reps, NBA level training etc. It'd be nice if he stayed another year, but can't really blame him if he leaves.
codeunknown
3/30/2018  12:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/30/2018  1:10 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
codeunknown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
codeunknown wrote:

That's the thing...I do see some Donovan Mitchell in him. There's a part of me that thinks he could be a monster with more reps, NBA level training etc. It'd be nice if he stayed another year, but can't really blame him if he leaves.

I see Dwayne Wade with less basketball IQ but better 3 point shooting. The flip side is if he stays another year and rises to high lottery level as some project, you then may lose your opportunity to get him altogether.

As an aside, our "3 and D" pipeline is already reasonably stocked with Frank and Dotson. At what point, do we dollar cost average some "high offensive potential" guards? I'd say the time is now and if Young or Walker are available, I'd be disappointed if we didnt select one of them.

That said, I like Mikal Bridges and he gives "3 and D" at small forward, which we don't currently have. Perhaps there is an opportunity to explore a trade with the Sixers, where a more win now approach may further facilitate their flirtation with Lebron? That would be for the 10th pick conveyed by the Lakers; potentially Hardaway Jr for Bayless, Anderson, Forkmaz and the 10th pick. You could then pick Mikal Bridges and Lonnie Walker, preserving some cap flexibility for a revised team need assessment in 2 years.

The anticipated future starting line-up would be:

Frank/Burke
Walker
Bridges
KP
Fill in the blank

You'd want to select a big in next year's draft to round out the positions.

For those with a wingspan fetish, that's

Pg - 7'
Sg - 6'11
SF - 7'1
PF - 7'6"

Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
3/30/2018  2:39 PM
Not having seen Colin Sexton play...what's the upside to him over Trey Burke other than age? What does he bring that Trey doesn't assuming Trey continues at a decent clip?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
BigDaddyG

3/30/2018  3:05 PM
Andrew wrote:Not having seen Colin Sexton play...what's the upside to him over Trey Burke other than age? What does he bring that Trey doesn't assuming Trey continues at a decent clip?

Off the top of my head, I'd say he translates as a better defensive player and better athlete. I don't see him having any problems getting to the free throw line, either. Definitely more physical.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/30/2018  3:06 PM
Andrew wrote:Not having seen Colin Sexton play...what's the upside to him over Trey Burke other than age? What does he bring that Trey doesn't assuming Trey continues at a decent clip?

Taller more explosive better athlete stronger superior slasher more defensive potetial

RIP Crushalot😞
reub
Member: #6227

3/30/2018  4:11 PM
Wendell Carter should not be ruled out. He could be the sleeper of the whole draft. For a 3 and D wing sign Jerami Grant.
codeunknown
3/30/2018  6:32 PM
reub wrote:Wendell Carter should not be ruled out. He could be the sleeper of the whole draft. For a 3 and D wing sign Jerami Grant.

Jerami Grant shoots 27.6% from 3 this year on 1.4 attempts, and 29.8% career. He's at most just "D."

BigDaddyG

3/30/2018  6:39 PM
reub wrote:Wendell Carter should not be ruled out. He could be the sleeper of the whole draft. For a 3 and D wing sign Jerami Grant.

I don't think anyone is ruling him out yet. It's just that he probably doesn't drop down to us. Hope I'm wrong. I think I'd prefer giving Troy a shot over signing Grant right now.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/30/2018  11:30 PM
QBulls won.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/31/2018  5:11 AM
CrushAlot wrote:QBulls won.

They also still have 2 games vs the nets, so there's still a very remote chance that either the bulls, nets or Kings will overtake us, but we're going for wins so it won't happen. We really could have been looking at the 6th spot, but nope!

dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
3/31/2018  5:33 AM
Enjoyed watching Doncic yesterday with Real vs Red Star Belgrad in Euroleague.
I have seen him a couple of times this year and one thing is for sure he is an amazing baller!
I have NO doubt at all that he will find his role in the NBA and be a star/all-star player eventually!

Let me just share some thoughts on him and set expectations.
Luca Doncic does have GREAT court vision and the advanced passing skills to find the open man in tight situations BUT he is no Point Guard and would struggle majourly
against speedy PGs in the NBA.
Hes got good not great handles. Not enough for the PG position but more than enough for every other position basically.

I see him as a playmaking SG basically or even SF.
He has the lenght and strenght already to play the SF position and will basically be a tripple double threat night in night out.

Funny thing is that even thought I just wrote that he is no PG... I think a good comparison actually is Ben Simmons plus a reliable 3pt shot with a little less rebounding.

If the Knicks WOULD get so lucky to get him I see him as the PERFECT Backcourt partner for Frankie who could take up the PG defensive responsibilities easily while Doncic adds the playmaking that Frankie lacks to this point...

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

3/31/2018  6:25 AM
smackeddog wrote:

They also still have 2 games vs the nets, so there's still a very remote chance that either the bulls, nets or Kings will overtake us, but we're going for wins so it won't happen. We really could have been looking at the 6th spot, but nope!

If we move up a spot whoever is in the 9th slot will win the lottery, it would be the Knick thing to happen

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/31/2018  8:05 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

If we move up a spot whoever is in the 9th slot will win the lottery, it would be the Knick thing to happen

Ha true, and if we don't move up the team just ahead of us will win the lottery - probably the Bulls!

The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy