[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread
Author Thread
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

3/27/2018  5:22 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:- Sexton -- love the heart and attacking mentality and he CAN finish unlike (Mudiay) -- his shot is ok and will improve -- don't think strength/explosion or size are real issues. Is he a true PG -- maybe not perfect but yeah I think with his intangibles he will be ok.

I'm beginning to rethink my position on Sexton's playmaking a little bit. I think it needs work, but you can't run an offense that doesn't exist. Avery probably didn't do the best job of coaching this team. I still don't see the upside and I believe the only reason he's being considered a mid-lottery pick is because this class is weak there positionally. I agree with you on Miles. I like the idea of pairing him with KP. People got on him because his stats didn't increase, but he changed roles to become more of an initiator. I think his numbers are look better when you look at them from that perspective. I see a lot more of Otto Porter than Kent Bazemore. Mykal's length Alon gives him more versatility than Bazemore. But you're right that Mykal will probably never be considered a "star" during his career. Miles has a higher ceiling, but Mykal has a lower floor, if that makes any sense.

Sexton by all accounts is a GREAT kid --- 4.0 student, gamer and tough as nails (doesn't QUIT) and takes coaching --- plus a GREAT athlete ---- I think those attributes count for a lot --- I've seen him flash great vision but I agree -- it's not always on display --- BAMA really slowed the game down -- at the NBA level I see him pressing tempo all game and playing off high screen roll which BAMA did little of as well. There are concerns but still a legit prospect and he has chops at crunch time to take pressure off KP/Timmy/Frank.

Agree on Mykal higher floor and lower ceiling but NBA is an athlete's game --- I think Miles will hit very close to his ceiling.

AUTOADVERT
LivingLegend

3/27/2018  5:24 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:- Carter -- is NOT a natural 3 point shooter regardless of any % he shoots, his best post move is a weak left-handed jump hook -- his fit in todays nba game is questionable (I would say M-Turner is solid compare but Turner a more natural shooter)
- Mykal Bridges --- reminds me of poor mans Rashad Lewis (not same type of scorer) but he is somewhat robotic to me, struggles to take college players off the dribble and often has to resort to turn around due to that inability to get by the defender. His strength as a older prospect worries me in terms of upside --- someone mentioned Kent Bazemore and that may be a better compare.
- Trae Young -- I'm just MEH on him -- don't like the thought of him defensively...covering for him and becoming strictly an offensive team because he won't/can't defend at NBA level
- SGA I was in love with but watching some more --- worry about his ability to take NBA players off the bounce without help of a screen (Frank's issue) -- plus SGA shot very suspect on perimeter and wondering if his D is being over-hyped (don't think he is Frank level defender either)
- Sexton -- love the heart and attacking mentality and he CAN finish unlike (Mudiay) -- his shot is ok and will improve -- don't think strength/explosion or size are real issues. Is he a true PG -- maybe not perfect but yeah I think with his intangibles he will be ok.
- Miles Bridges -- positional ?s -- but explosive athlete ---- NBA elite level athlete --- great charisma --- I think Knicks brass may target him as a SF/PF. I think his scoring may have been suppressed by Izzo and the team around him (everyone looking for their shots from PG/SG/C) --- may have most upside.

I can't argue that Mykal would fit nicely with our roster but I think his upside is much lower than Sexton or Miles B -- maybe even SGA.

I think it may come down to Miles or Sexton.

I like Mikal because of a roster fit. We get him, put Frank at the 2 with Porzingis as the rim protector you have the makings of a sick defensive team.

Right but if he is just a fit --- you can find a fit in any # of directions (see Courtney Lee). In a deep draft at #9 -- you hope you are getting more than a role player and there are some concerns with Mykal on that front. It is difficult to compare 3rd year guy to guys that are 18 in year 1. I think what would Frank look like playing for Nova right now -- I suspect pretty damn good.

LivingLegend

3/27/2018  5:25 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:- Carter -- is NOT a natural 3 point shooter regardless of any % he shoots, his best post move is a weak left-handed jump hook -- his fit in todays nba game is questionable (I would say M-Turner is solid compare but Turner a more natural shooter)
- Mykal Bridges --- reminds me of poor mans Rashad Lewis (not same type of scorer) but he is somewhat robotic to me, struggles to take college players off the dribble and often has to resort to turn around due to that inability to get by the defender. His strength as a older prospect worries me in terms of upside --- someone mentioned Kent Bazemore and that may be a better compare.
- Trae Young -- I'm just MEH on him -- don't like the thought of him defensively...covering for him and becoming strictly an offensive team because he won't/can't defend at NBA level
- SGA I was in love with but watching some more --- worry about his ability to take NBA players off the bounce without help of a screen (Frank's issue) -- plus SGA shot very suspect on perimeter and wondering if his D is being over-hyped (don't think he is Frank level defender either)
- Sexton -- love the heart and attacking mentality and he CAN finish unlike (Mudiay) -- his shot is ok and will improve -- don't think strength/explosion or size are real issues. Is he a true PG -- maybe not perfect but yeah I think with his intangibles he will be ok.
- Miles Bridges -- positional ?s -- but explosive athlete ---- NBA elite level athlete --- great charisma --- I think Knicks brass may target him as a SF/PF. I think his scoring may have been suppressed by Izzo and the team around him (everyone looking for their shots from PG/SG/C) --- may have most upside.

I can't argue that Mykal would fit nicely with our roster but I think his upside is much lower than Sexton or Miles B -- maybe even SGA.

I like Mikal because of a roster fit. We get him, put Frank at the 2 with Porzingis as the rim protector you have the makings of a sick defensive team.

Noah at the 5.... your dream come true!

If Burke is the real deal it makes Mikal even better. You get a guy who can get his shot off vs. and create. You cover his defensive weakness with Mikal/Frank/KP's length and have options at the 5.

This FO has worked hard to develop guys. If Burke pops its a real testament.

Mikal Bridges will be somewhat exposed in the NBA. Kevin Knox as a SF is a better choice. He has a higher ceiling. Look at Knox numbers vs Bridges in yr 1. By his third year Knox would dominate college basketball.

I like Knox as well Briggs -- think he may be one of top 2 or so scorers in this draft down the road but he is going to keep growing and NOT sure he will be able to fit nicely in either the 3 or 4 spot. Not sure he has feet to handle the 3 long term and not sure he defends or will rebound to handle the 4. His positional fit is key with Knox IMO.

reub
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6227

3/27/2018  5:30 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
reub wrote:

This is a great rundown. Thanks! The more I think about Miles the more I like him. He's similar to Jayson Tatum, isn't he? Probably the best natural scorer and athlete in the bunch. Plus he'll produce from day one. He seems to have no faults on offense. How is his ability to defend?

I see Tatum as a more natural/creative scorer and Miles as a more explosive player -- I do like Miles as a post up option at the SF position. Miles weaknesses offensively might be handle in half/court, his passing in half/court and big lack of any mid-range game (that might be his biggest issue /// everything either from 3 or at the basket.

But isn't that the modern game? Either threes or at the basket. I believe that is what analytics say is the most efficient way to play the game nowadays. The long two (and twos in general unless at the basket) are counterproductive to winning basketball.

LivingLegend

3/27/2018  5:32 PM
Mykal is an ABSOLUTE awesome fit for the Sixers who are already over-flowing with big-time talent and just need fits for guys that will defend/shoot and do little things around BIG 2.

For Knicks we need talent and some explosiveness. I'm just not sure on SGA though I love much about his game -- think it will come down to Sexton/Miles ---- think folks are going to be largely disappointed by W-Carter. Duke has been hiding him in a zone all year and he is still on the bench most nights in foul trouble. He is NOT a knock down shooter, his back to basket game is limited from what I can see (always takes weakest shot). His lateral quickness is also questionable at NBA level. Seems like a solid player, great kid and he will prob have a long NBA career but so will KOQ and I don't want KOQ this draft.

LivingLegend

3/27/2018  5:36 PM
reub wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
reub wrote:

This is a great rundown. Thanks! The more I think about Miles the more I like him. He's similar to Jayson Tatum, isn't he? Probably the best natural scorer and athlete in the bunch. Plus he'll produce from day one. He seems to have no faults on offense. How is his ability to defend?

I see Tatum as a more natural/creative scorer and Miles as a more explosive player -- I do like Miles as a post up option at the SF position. Miles weaknesses offensively might be handle in half/court, his passing in half/court and big lack of any mid-range game (that might be his biggest issue /// everything either from 3 or at the basket.

But isn't that the modern game? Either threes or at the basket. I believe that is what analytics say is the most efficient way to play the game nowadays. The long two (and twos in general unless at the basket) are counterproductive to winning basketball.

There are a ton of open shots inside the 3 point line and before you get to the hoop -- see Trey Burke as an example. Guess what I'm saying is the great players score all over the court close/mid/deep --- right now Miles is inconsistent from 3 and has little to no mid-range game --- he does use both hands to finish very well and if used as a post-up scorer 15 and in -- that might fill in for his lack of mid-range.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/27/2018  5:41 PM
LivingLegend wrote:Mykal is an ABSOLUTE awesome fit for the Sixers who are already over-flowing with big-time talent and just need fits for guys that will defend/shoot and do little things around BIG 2.

For Knicks we need talent and some explosiveness. I'm just not sure on SGA though I love much about his game -- think it will come down to Sexton/Miles ---- think folks are going to be largely disappointed by W-Carter. Duke has been hiding him in a zone all year and he is still on the bench most nights in foul trouble. He is NOT a knock down shooter, his back to basket game is limited from what I can see (always takes weakest shot). His lateral quickness is also questionable at NBA level. Seems like a solid player, great kid and he will prob have a long NBA career but so will KOQ and I don't want KOQ this draft.

I love it when you talk basketball baby 😘😘😘😘

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/28/2018  12:57 AM

This kid might be the full package for us. His basketball IQ is way more advance than about of guys ranked ahead of him. He plays bigger than he is. He had long arms. Plays defense. He does everything well. We simply can't go wrong with him. I think he could start right away for us at the 3.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/28/2018  9:04 AM
EnySpree wrote:

This kid might be the full package for us. His basketball IQ is way more advance than about of guys ranked ahead of him. He plays bigger than he is. He had long arms. Plays defense. He does everything well. We simply can't go wrong with him. I think he could start right away for us at the 3.

Completely agree. He is a plug and play starter right away at SF.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/28/2018  9:51 AM
EnySpree wrote:

I dont think he's there for us but I feel exactly the same. I think with KP/Frank/Bridges Knicks could put out a crazy long defensive line up that could cover some of the shortcomings of guys like Kanter or Trey Burke. You have 3 long athletic guys to build a defense around. This is my hope and vision. I am praying Burke saves us from looking at Trey Young or any other scorer that is 6 feet and 185 pounds.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
reub
Member: #6227

3/28/2018  10:38 AM
EnySpree wrote:

So could Kent Bazemore.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/28/2018  11:14 AM
Knixkik wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Not so sure about that. We always make the mistake of assuming that one guy will contribute faster because he's an upperclassmen. But guys develop at different rates. Heck, Frank Kaminsky is still trying to find his way. I like Mykal, but I don't expect him to start gunning from the start. Heck, it took Otto Porter three years and everyone swore up and down that he was a first year contributor.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/28/2018  2:51 PM
Mikal Bridges in the pros is a role player. Hes caught in between height(sg vs sf) and doesnt make plays with the dribble.

Colin Sexton if hes available should be pick choice. Secondary picks would be Carter(Center) Knox(SF) SGA(PG) I think Trae Young will go top 5.

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/28/2018  3:00 PM
Team needs in order

just going by draft order

#1 Phoenix Suns Aayton
#2 Memphis Bagley
#3 Atlanta Porter SF
#4 Orlando PG Trae Young
#5 Dallas SG Doncic
#6 Sacrmento Sf Kevin Knox
#7 Cleveland (C) Mo Bamba
#8 Chicago (C) Wendall carter
#9 Knicks PG Colin Sexton

RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
3/28/2018  3:03 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Not so sure about that. We always make the mistake of assuming that one guy will contribute faster because he's an upperclassmen. But guys develop at different rates. Heck, Frank Kaminsky is still trying to find his way. I like Mykal, but I don't expect him to start gunning from the start. Heck, it took Otto Porter three years and everyone swore up and down that he was a first year contributor.
yea this is like debating if there will be snow next year at Christmas. Some guys take awhile, some dont. There are also a myriad of factors that play into it. Jemaine Oneil literally did nothing for 4 years before he exploded in year 5. Was that development or being stuck behind veteran players on a playoff team?

I wouldnt worry. If they take time they take time. That isnt a bad thing. The perfect storm really is they struggle a couple years (good picks) and then all pop together (see Warriors).

Bridges can guard multiple spots and is a great shooter.

Volume scorers are easy to find. They grow on trees. You can always add some offense. Guys that can cover and lock down multiple spots are what I covet. Obviously they need to do other things and Mikal is an above 40% shooter. If you have KP/Frank/Bridges on the floor you can really suffocate the other team.

If you have 3 elite defensive players on the floor you can cover for a lot. Now obviously Mikal/Frank arent not elite yet, but the potential is there and Frank already shows that. Its so easy to build once you have that. Having 3 guys like that turns Burke from a liability to a speedy disruptive defender, they turn Kanter into a force on the boards instead of a guy who's getting abused on the P&R.... at least that is my vision.

SGA would be by 2nd choice after Bridges. I dont think he's redundant with Frank as we dont know what either are. For all we know Frank gets into lifting weights and becomes the defensive SF. He's got the size. We will see. I just want to focus on the guys who have elite defensive potential.

A wild card is Khyri Thomas who looks a lot like he could be this year's Donovan Mitchell.

Honestly.. I think we draft a good player. I like the guys we have brought in. I just want no part of Trey Young or another small PG. Sexton might be great. I havent seen enough of him to be negative but he's another very small player I hope we just avoid.

fishmike
USA
3/28/2018  3:07 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Team needs in order

#1 Phoenix Suns Aayton
#2 Memphis Bagley
#3 Atlanta Porter SF
#4 Orlando PG Trae Young
#5 Dallas SG Doncic

If Trey Young is picked in the lottery is because the Clippers use one of their 12-13 spots.
JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

3/28/2018  3:24 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Team needs in order

#1 Phoenix Suns Aayton
#2 Memphis Bagley
#3 Atlanta Porter SF
#4 Orlando PG Trae Young
#5 Dallas SG Doncic

This list is wrong. Where is Jackson?

Knixkik
USA
3/28/2018  4:09 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

I don't think he will contribute faster because he is an upper classmen. I think he will contribute faster because he has NBA ready skills. Shooting, defensive, and athletic ability will translate right away.

Knixkik
USA
3/28/2018  4:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/28/2018  4:17 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Mikal Bridges in the pros is a role player. Hes caught in between height(sg vs sf) and doesnt make plays with the dribble.

Colin Sexton if hes available should be pick choice. Secondary picks would be Carter(Center) Knox(SF) SGA(PG) I think Trae Young will go top 5.

How is Bridges caught between positions? He is 6'7 with a 7'2 wingspan. Guys like Draymond Green are 6'7 playing some center. Bridges is has ideal SF size with the ability to slide over to PF when he fills out. He has SF height and PF/C length.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/28/2018  4:16 PM
Knixkik wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

I don't think he will contribute faster because he is an upper classmen. I think he will contribute faster because he has NBA ready skills. Shooting, defensive, and athletic ability will translate right away.

OK. I'm just saying that we try to project how fast a guy can contribute, for whatever reason, and the projection is off. Doug McDermott was supposed to produce his first year and Kristaps was supposed to take time. If anything, it's usually the athletic freaks who produce early. Mykal is a nice athlete, but he's no freak. I'm just saying that you should expect that he needs time to get acclimated. It would be nice if started fast out the gate, but don't expect it.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy