[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread
Author Thread
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

3/20/2018  8:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/20/2018  8:23 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:Regardless of what you think of him, you have to give this kid serious consideration if he is there at 9. The NBA is an offensive league, and he is one of the best offensive players in the draft scoring and assisting...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/trae-young-give-knicks-steph-curry-like-nightmare-nba-draft-article-1.3885953

Trae Young is officially on the Knicks’ radar now that the Oklahoma freshman guard has announced that he is entering the NBA draft.

Draft boards project Young, who led the nation in scoring and assists, to be selected anywhere from seventh to 10th. The Knicks, eliminated from playoff contention on Monday, currently own the ninth-worst record in the NBA.

GM Scott Perry will have an interesting decision on his hands when the Knicks are on the clock.

It is eerily similar to 2009 when the Knicks, selecting eighth overall, had their eyes on a slight, dynamic scoring guard out of Davidson. But Golden State shattered that dream when the Warriors selected Stephen Curry seventh. The rest is history.
Then-Knicks president Donnie Walsh, who believed Curry would flourish under Mike D'Antoni, picked Jordan Hill. It gets worse.

Toronto, picking ninth, selected DeMar DeRozan. In case you're wondering, Hill plays for the Vancouver Knights of the North American Premier Basketball League having previously played for the Nevada Desert Dogs. Yes, it's been a rough couple of decades for the Knicks.

Young was being touted as the next Curry by the television networks and within no time he was the biggest name in college basketball. But NBA scouts are divided on whether Young is the next Curry or perhaps the next Shabazz Napier. Is he All-Star talent or just a rotation player?

"I know there will be doubts again as I prepare for the draft," Young told ESPN. "I don't pretend to be ready to play in the NBA today, but I am determined to do what I've always done: invest in the work to prepare for the league and the incredible challenges it presents. I'm going to start training immediately for the draft, building up strength throughout my body, sharpening my skills and studying the best of the best."

Knicks-Bulls rivalry now just competing for draft position
The 76ers select Markelle Fultz with the No. 1 pick.
Best of the 2017 NBA Draft
Napier won two national titles at UConn and was drafted 24th overall in 2014. He's now a back-up with Portland, his third NBA team.

Curry is a two-time MVP, a two-time NBA champion and arguably the greatest shooter in league history. The 6-foot-3 Curry also spent three seasons at Davidson before entering the NBA draft. He was the breakout star of the 2009 NCAA tournament.

Young, generously listed at 6-foot-2, finished with an 18-14 record for Oklahoma. The Sooners lost nine of their last 11 games, including a 30-point loss on the road at Kansas. Teams designed their defensive game plans around stopping Young. In his last nine games, Young made just 22 of 83 three-point shots. He'll have more to work with in the NBA.

The Knicks clearly aren't sold on Frank Ntilikina, the eighth overall pick from the 2017 draft. That's why they traded for Denver's Emmanuel Mudiay, the seventh overall pick of the 2015 draft. As you can see, this isn't an exact science.

Frank Ntilikina confident he can build off his career night
The Knicks lost out on Steph Curry to the Warriors in the 2009 draft.
The Knicks lost out on Steph Curry to the Warriors in the 2009 draft. (JASON DECROW/AP)
But having talented guards is essential. The top three teams in the Western Conference are guard-dominated: James Harden, Chris Paul, Curry and Klay Thompson, Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum. In the East, Toronto has Kyle Lowry and DeRozan. The Celtics have Kyrie Irving.

There is plenty of time for the Knicks to figure this out. They'll conduct workouts and interview all of the top prospects. But barring a minor miracle at the draft lottery, the Knicks will likely select eighth or ninth.

And Young could be there. As will the memory of losing out on Stephen Curry nine years earlier.

No.. I really dont. Young is an incredibly exciting college player. What is Young's NBA skill set? There is nothing about Young that says lottery talent.
terrible shot selection
turn over machine
will instantly be the worst defensive player in the league with virtually no upside there

Yes... the NBA is an offensive league, which is why Young is a career backup/bench spark plug at best. You cant have a starting PG that turns every opposing PG into Westbrook.

I can comfortably say this front office wont sniff Young at 9 (thank god).

Sexton is another great college player. End of the day he's a 6'2 scorer.

I wouldnt touch either over SGA who if he declares will easily leapfrog both those two.

No.. I really dont. Young is an incredibly exciting college player. What is Young's NBA skill set? There is nothing about Young that says lottery talent.

Skill Set? Tremendous shooter with NBA range, prolific scorer and tremendous passer. The lottery extends to 14 picks, at this point, there is no question that a guy, who led the NCAA in Scoring and Assist in the one of the elite conferences against t0p notch comp, is one of the 14 best prospects at this point.

will instantly be the worst defensive player in the league with virtually no upside there

Yes... the NBA is an offensive league, which is why Young is a career backup/bench spark plug at best. You cant have a starting PG that turns every opposing PG into Westbrook.

Ever watch Irving and Curry try to play defense? If you draft a player like Young, its up to management to pair him with two-way players. Other than Irving, the Celts have a bunch of two-way-players on the floor with him at all times, as does the Warriors. Why can't Young play in the same backcourt as Frank? I mean Frank is an elite PNR defender I'm not saying pick Young at #1, but if we are picking @ 9 and Young is sitting there, we really have to give him strong consideration...

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/20/2018  8:46 PM
Uptown wrote:
Skill Set? Tremendous shooter with NBA range, prolific scorer and tremendous passer. The lottery extends to 14 picks, at this point, there is no question that a guy, who led the NCAA in Scoring and Assist in the one of the elite conferences against t0p notch comp, is one of the 14 best prospects at this point.

Ever watch Irving and Curry try to play defense? If you draft a player like Young, its up to management to pair him with two-way players. Other than Irving, the Celts have a bunch of two-way-players on the floor with him at all times, as does the Warriors. Why can't Young play in the same backcourt as Frank? I mean Frank is an elite PNR defender I'm not saying pick Young at #1, but if we are picking @ 9 and Young is sitting there, we really have to give him strong consideration...

Yea... thats what people who like him say. 36% from 3 and 42% over all is a "tremendous shooter?" I bet Ron Baker shot better. Here's the thing... Curry and Irving are two of the best offensive players in the league.

It will come down to workouts. His body of works is like 10 great games and a lot of duds. Leading the NCAA in assists when also lead in TOs (just a guess) is impressive? Dude, do you actually look at his shot selection? That's a guy you want? He acts like Steph Curry but he's got Brandon Jenning's game.

Hey... Maybe Im wrong. Maybe he destroys it in workouts. I see a guy light years from being NBA ready. Is he a better prospect than Fox?

Dont you have any concern that it took the NCAA about 12 games to figure out how to shut this guy down? Im not jumping on you... Im just kinda salty over players who think shooting it more is the solution to literally everything
2nd half of his season was ABYSMAL

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Uptown

3/20/2018  10:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/20/2018  11:03 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Yea... thats what people who like him say. 36% from 3 and 42% over all is a "tremendous shooter?" I bet Ron Baker shot better. Here's the thing... Curry and Irving are two of the best offensive players in the league.

It will come down to workouts. His body of works is like 10 great games and a lot of duds. Leading the NCAA in assists when also lead in TOs (just a guess) is impressive? Dude, do you actually look at his shot selection? That's a guy you want? He acts like Steph Curry but he's got Brandon Jenning's game.

Hey... Maybe Im wrong. Maybe he destroys it in workouts. I see a guy light years from being NBA ready. Is he a better prospect than Fox?

Dont you have any concern that it took the NCAA about 12 games to figure out how to shut this guy down? Im not jumping on you... Im just kinda salty over players who think shooting it more is the solution to literally everything

Actually I watched quiet a few of his games....Lets put some of those low shooting numbers in context:

Teams were doubling and shading their defense towards him every time he touched it. Rarely got any open looks. Can't compare the 1st, 2nd and 3rd option of an offense to Ron Baker...

Saw some box and 1's on Young

Saw some junk defenses, traps when he touched it...Defenses he wont see much of in the league

Lon Kruger is a border line hall-of-famer, but he did not do a great job of coaching Young of the team this year....Hardly drew up any innovative sets to free up Young, or to get more movement in his offense. Many times he allowed Young to iso and bail the offense out. One game, Young jacked up over 35 shots. I don't blame the 18/19 yr old kid, I blame the coach!!!

In the NBA, Young will be coached up, will have access to better training and more importantly, he will not be the 1st option which will free him up a lot more than he was in college...Young fits the mold of the modern day scoring guard....shoots the 3 out to damn near 25-27 feet, can create his own shot and gets all the way to the rack.

Of course there are red-flags which is why he is being discussed at 8-12 as opposed to 1-5. He has a slight frame, he is an average to below average defender at this point, BUT, he has the ability to be a prolific scoring guard in the NBA. He can handle the rock, can get into the paint and can flat-out put the ball in the basket. dude has Steph curry Range (No, I'm not saying he is has good as Curry!!!)Of course there is more to the game than just scoring the ball; that's why you build an appropriate team around him. @ 9, his ceiling may be higher than any other player that will be available at that spot. If he's sitting there at 9, and we pass over him for a rotational guy and Young becomes an elite player, Knick fans will be sick....and it could cost management their jobs.

Uptown

3/20/2018  11:18 PM
One more thing on Young...His presence opens up the floor for everyone else...A couple of years ago when Steph was shooting the ball from damn-near half court, and it forced an adjustment in philosophy that coaches and players would have to make. Usually, you were taught to guard out to the 3 point line, but with Steph, you had to cover him as soon as he crossed half court.

Trae Young is from that new era....You have to guard him as soon as he crosses half court and doing so stretches the defense and forces them to cover more court. This will open things up for his teammates...

Uptown

3/20/2018  11:18 PM

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/21/2018  9:03 AM
“Pardon the interruption” had a good debate on the kid yesterday and I feel like I am uniquely qualified as a Trae Young expert. I suppose I would latch on one opinion and run with it as my own but the truth to me was they were all good pros/cons and I have no idea what will be with this kid.
Curry when drafted has doubters and its why he did go top three. I’m always suspect when I read a player is “The next........”. What sounded reasonable was this kid likely will need two to three seasons to get up to speed. Curry played three seasons in college and then had to take his lumps as a rookie and over come the injuries before he surged. Passing often translates to the next level but scoring not so much. Few times does the NCAA leader scorer make a big impact in the NBA in that statistic. I have no conclusion.
I want to believe but his release on that shot seems low and if he cannot hit that range his game is vulnerable.
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
3/21/2018  10:10 AM
Nalod wrote:“Pardon the interruption” had a good debate on the kid yesterday and I feel like I am uniquely qualified as a Trae Young expert. I suppose I would latch on one opinion and run with it as my own but the truth to me was they were all good pros/cons and I have no idea what will be with this kid.
Curry when drafted has doubters and its why he did go top three. I’m always suspect when I read a player is “The next........”. What sounded reasonable was this kid likely will need two to three seasons to get up to speed. Curry played three seasons in college and then had to take his lumps as a rookie and over come the injuries before he surged. Passing often translates to the next level but scoring not so much. Few times does the NCAA leader scorer make a big impact in the NBA in that statistic. I have no conclusion.
I want to believe but his release on that shot seems low and if he cannot hit that range his game is vulnerable.

The issue with Young is he took the league by storm and people started viewing him as a potential top overall pick. Then he came back down to earth and everyone over-analyzed his faults and forgot he is still a very good basketball player. I have my concerns with him, but i also have my concerns with literally every player in this draft.

Bagley- what is his position? No go-to skill. Short wingspan.
Doncic- is he athletic and long enough to dominate the NBA the same way as euro-ball?
Porter- Is he tough? Is he a focused player?
Jackson Jr. - Does he have actual star potential?
Sexton- Jump shot?
Ayton- Focus, toughness, and interest on defense. Right now he is a 1-way player.

I can go on, but there are literally major question marks with every player in this draft right now, in additional to Young.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/21/2018  10:26 AM
My guy is Mikal Bridges. IMO he’s exactly what this team needs. A true 3nD Wing who can fill that hole in the lineup. I just hope he’s still there when we pick.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/21/2018  10:36 AM
nixluva wrote:My guy is Mikal Bridges. IMO he’s exactly what this team needs. A true 3nD Wing who can fill that hole in the lineup. I just hope he’s still there when we pick.

I agree. Bridges is definitely the best case scenario.

blkexec
Member: #748
3/21/2018  10:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/21/2018  11:09 AM
Knixkik wrote:
nixluva wrote:My guy is Mikal Bridges. IMO he’s exactly what this team needs. A true 3nD Wing who can fill that hole in the lineup. I just hope he’s still there when we pick.

I agree. Bridges is definitely the best case scenario.

shhhhhh.....Knicks are the worst poker players. We show our hand so much. That's the one few things I liked about Phil.....he will keep the media guessing with his chess vs checkers dance with his media Interviews

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
fishmike
USA
3/21/2018  11:36 AM
uptown... Ive seen those. Young's highlights are sick. His low lights equally so. You are suggesting he needs to be built around to maximize what he brings but the problem is how do you commit to building around a guy with so many faults?

Well see... I think when GMs look at how guys like Fox and Monk have really struggled early and just how few successful NBA players there are like this he's gonna drop. But we will see. I have no stake in being right or wrong... but who knows... Maybe he's our AI and Frank is our Eric Snow and KP is our KG stud in the middle and we go to some finals. My god anything is possible

I much prefer SGA. Give me long athletic guys who can defend multiple positions, shoot and move the ball. I dont expect Bridges the Nova kid to be on the board at 8-9. He's my first choice. I think we will be look at a choice of Young/Sexton/Knox/SGA/KryriThomas and I think the Creighton kid will be a VERY good NBA player. He's another excellent defender, kinda of Avery Bradly like there and he's a killer shooter.

I hope the Knicks can get lucky and move up or simply get lucky and draft a sleeping stud like the Jazz did with Mitchell. Thats is my hope. I am confident they will at least get a good NBA player

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/21/2018  11:36 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:“Pardon the interruption” had a good debate on the kid yesterday and I feel like I am uniquely qualified as a Trae Young expert. I suppose I would latch on one opinion and run with it as my own but the truth to me was they were all good pros/cons and I have no idea what will be with this kid.

The issue with Young is he took the league by storm and people started viewing him as a potential top overall pick. Then he came back down to earth and everyone over-analyzed his faults and forgot he is still a very good basketball player. I have my concerns with him, but i also have my concerns with literally every player in this draft.

Doncic- is he athletic and long enough to dominate the NBA the same way as euro-ball?
Sexton- Jump shot?
Ayton- Focus, toughness, and interest on defense. Right now he is a 1-way player.

I can go on, but there are literally major question marks with every player in this draft right now, in additional to Young.

A team will gamble on a Khyrie Thomas to be a lead guard. If they are able to successfully mold him into one after some seasoning. He would end up better then both Young and Sexton at the NBA level. But its not a guarantee that he would be able to be molded into that. I think its the same risk and same potential except Young and Sexton you would have to take in the lottery. While Thomas you could land later in the draft. Thomas would give you a strong all around game of defense, size, rebounding, shooting, low turnovers, but not a great distributor. Young could give you more buckets, dimes, play making but may not have the defense, rebounding, ball security.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
USA
3/21/2018  11:46 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Sexton- Jump shot?

A team will gamble on a Khyrie Thomas to be a lead guard. If they are able to successfully mold him into one after some seasoning. He would end up better then both Young and Sexton at the NBA level. But its not a guarantee that he would be able to be molded into that. I think its the same risk and same potential except Young and Sexton you would have to take in the lottery. While Thomas you could land later in the draft. Thomas would give you a strong all around game of defense, size, rebounding, shooting, low turnovers, but not a great distributor. Young could give you more buckets, dimes, play making but may not have the defense, rebounding, ball security.

love Thomas... people may see that as a reach now but I bet they change their tune later. He's very long and I think his draft position comes down to his athletic scores. If he's average NBA than 12-15 is prob about right, but if he suprises and shows a 40 inch or whatever he's def top 10.

40% from 3. If he's athletic as skilled as he is that is the mold this NBA covets

fishmike
USA
3/21/2018  11:48 AM
interesting stat... SGA doesnt take a ton of 3s. Only averaged 1.5 a game, but he shot 23-55, good for .418

He's another guy who if he shows high level of NBA caliber athleticism is going to shoot up the board

newyorknewyork
3/21/2018  12:15 PM
fishmike wrote:uptown... Ive seen those. Young's highlights are sick. His low lights equally so. You are suggesting he needs to be built around to maximize what he brings but the problem is how do you commit to building around a guy with so many faults?

Well see... I think when GMs look at how guys like Fox and Monk have really struggled early and just how few successful NBA players there are like this he's gonna drop. But we will see. I have no stake in being right or wrong... but who knows... Maybe he's our AI and Frank is our Eric Snow and KP is our KG stud in the middle and we go to some finals. My god anything is possible

I much prefer SGA. Give me long athletic guys who can defend multiple positions, shoot and move the ball. I dont expect Bridges the Nova kid to be on the board at 8-9. He's my first choice. I think we will be look at a choice of Young/Sexton/Knox/SGA/KryriThomas and I think the Creighton kid will be a VERY good NBA player. He's another excellent defender, kinda of Avery Bradly like there and he's a killer shooter.

I hope the Knicks can get lucky and move up or simply get lucky and draft a sleeping stud like the Jazz did with Mitchell. Thats is my hope. I am confident they will at least get a good NBA player

There is a lot of talent in this draft where I believe trading down is our best option. I don't want to bank on 1 player. 2014 draft Nuggets dropped down from 12 for the 16th and 19th picks. Landed Nurkic and Harris. I feel this is the similar type of draft to the 2014 one in terms of having a bunch of future good players while maybe only 1 player that turns into a bonafide superstar.

I don't feel there will be a big drop off a couple seasons down the road when everyone settles into their NBA careers. I would like a combo of Hutchison & Johntay Porter myself. While using both 2nds to move back into the first for Brunson.

newyorknewyork
3/21/2018  12:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/21/2018  12:20 PM
fishmike wrote:interesting stat... SGA doesnt take a ton of 3s. Only averaged 1.5 a game, but he shot 23-55, good for .418

He's another guy who if he shows high level of NBA caliber athleticism is going to shoot up the board

A SGA/Frank back court though is outside the box thinking that most ppl aren't ready for. 2 6'6 guards with 7 ft wingspans with pg capabilities. If the vision works, Knicks would be creating their own movement and trend. Add in the unicorn and maybe we have something fresh that can take the NBA by storm.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

3/21/2018  2:48 PM
Trae Young will be great at around pick 25
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

3/21/2018  7:23 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:

I vote for Fish to be wrong. He usually is.

Wasn't Young the first player to lead the NCAA in dimes and points...
Ever?! Grant it, he will have his challenges at next level, he will be a very good player. Uh ink he will surprise and go top 6. But this goes back to guys thinking the lottery is for picking role players. Ie. Frank the tank and SGA. SGA smells like another WCS, Winslow, Frank...etc.

I like Mikal Bridges. But think that by the time they win the Championship, he will be out of our reach.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/21/2018  11:51 PM
Uptown wrote:One more thing on Young...His presence opens up the floor for everyone else...A couple of years ago when Steph was shooting the ball from damn-near half court, and it forced an adjustment in philosophy that coaches and players would have to make. Usually, you were taught to guard out to the 3 point line, but with Steph, you had to cover him as soon as he crossed half court.

Trae Young is from that new era....You have to guard him as soon as he crosses half court and doing so stretches the defense and forces them to cover more court. This will open things up for his teammates...

He's not Steph though.... he could end up being Howard Eisley. Just like everyone wants Frank to be Clyde Frazier but he's playing more like Joe Frazier with gloves on. Steph is a one of a kind talent. Be careful assuming a kid is going to just come into the league and become a one of a kind talent. Curry was a beast in college. Curry started his nba career 17/6/5 with 2 steals. Trey Young that good? Is he gonna be 30/6/5 in 7 years? Maybe but that's not guaranteed. Stephan A Smith seems to think it's guaranteed smh

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/21/2018  11:55 PM
Btw.... if Trey is the next Curry, he's not getting drafted 9th.... he's gonna go higher to a team that actually needs a point guard, like the Magic
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy