[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Moving away from Willy at c hurt the team
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/3/2018  11:54 PM
The Carmelo trade right now looks like a complete team disaster. It took us away from developing the team w Willy at center. We added kanter and McDermott -- slotted them into core positions and today--- right now where has it gotten us? Right. -- it got us a few more wins and train wrecked the direction. It's a rudderless team that has no style of play
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
nykshaknbake
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #492
1/4/2018  12:26 AM
Willy had every opportunity to show he could contribute. He plain stinks right now. What direction were we going that could get train wrecked?
BRIGGS
1/4/2018  12:33 AM
nykshaknbake wrote:Willy had every opportunity to show he could contribute. He plain stinks right now. What direction were we going that could get train wrecked?

No he was first team all rookie nba and than put in the garbage. Where would we be? In a better position than we are.

RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
Member: #883
1/4/2018  2:41 AM
BRIGGS wrote:The Carmelo trade right now looks like a complete team disaster. It took us away from developing the team w Willy at center. We added kanter and McDermott -- slotted them into core positions and today--- right now where has it gotten us? Right. -- it got us a few more wins and train wrecked the direction. It's a rudderless team that has no style of play

You wanted Kanter

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/4/2018  7:41 AM
BRIGGS wrote:The Carmelo trade right now looks like a complete team disaster. It took us away from developing the team w Willy at center. We added kanter and McDermott -- slotted them into core positions and today--- right now where has it gotten us? Right. -- it got us a few more wins and train wrecked the direction. It's a rudderless team that has no style of play

And here you come full circle. Back to claiming Willy is the guy we should have built this offense around. He's better than Porzingis, remember? I made a Knee Jerk Reaction thread specifically for comments like this. You couldn't be more wrong. The trade improved our identity as a team. Kanter is the heart of this team. You wanted him so badly, remember? Until we got him and now you don't. You are the most erratic poster on this board. Do you even think about some of these things you have written? Remember Hardaway? We would still have a winning record if he didn't miss half the season. It finally caught up with us. But 100% of fans will say we won the Melo trade, it was highway robbery, except for you. You think differently right? Until we win again and you do a complete 180 once again.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/4/2018  9:21 AM

We would have been one of the worst teams in the league with Willy starting the season at center. Believe he was rated as one of the worst defensive bigs in the league. Kanter has been the engine that's driving our wins, putting up All-Star numbers.

Willy looks like he is getting in better shape, doesn't look as doughy. Still plays with this "just happy to be here" attitude. Willy hasn't done anything to earn the starting job then, or now.

A better starting PG, more of a threat to get to the rim is needed. We have the lowest scoring PGs in the league, 3pt shooting, we get to the rim less than anyone, and you want to blame the center?

Knicks should sort out PG, then see how it affects the rest of the squad.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
1/4/2018  9:55 AM
I totally agree moving away from Willie is a huge mistake.
Gudris
Member: #6213

1/4/2018  10:03 AM
Vmart wrote:I totally agree moving away from Willie is a huge mistake.

HE IS NOT NBA PLAYER, just a friend of KP, that is it

Vmart
USA
1/4/2018  10:16 AM
Gudris wrote:

Well he is in the NBA and he made all rookie team last season. He is good enough to play on his national team. He has shown when given opportunity he produces numbers. Then I have to ask is O’Quinn an NBA player?

Kanter is awful defensively and he has tunnel vision. Just maybe KP needs his friend to play better.

Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
1/4/2018  11:02 AM
Willy’s Tiny hands will never allow him to be a starting NBA player.
Vmart
USA
1/4/2018  11:04 AM
Zebo13 wrote:Willy’s Tiny hands will never allow him to be a starting NBA player.

Ewing had tiny hands.

Knixkik
USA
1/4/2018  11:05 AM
Gudris wrote:

I think he will have the opportunity to be a good backup center, and we will see that once KOQ is moved. By next season, I expect Willy to settle into a backup center role at 12-15 mpg. Kanter probably gets resigned and starts for 24-26 mpg, so the other half of the game will be split between Willy and KP moving to center. Unfortunately for Willy, the league is trending in a different direction, but i still see him as a quality backup.

smackeddog
Member: #883
1/4/2018  12:56 PM
This is my favorite thread as BRIGGS starts off calling for us to land Kanter back in 2015, keeps saying how we have to land him in the years since then, then actually revived the thread to gloat about how he called it while we were winning. Now says we should never have landed Kanter...

http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=50701

Knixkik
USA
1/4/2018  1:25 PM
smackeddog wrote:This is my favorite thread as BRIGGS starts off calling for us to land Kanter back in 2015, keeps saying how we have to land him in the years since then, then actually revived the thread to gloat about how he called it while we were winning. Now says we should never have landed Kanter...

Briggs will like a guy today and hate him tomorrow.

BRIGGS
1/4/2018  1:28 PM
smackeddog wrote:This is my favorite thread as BRIGGS starts off calling for us to land Kanter back in 2015, keeps saying how we have to land him in the years since then, then actually revived the thread to gloat about how he called it while we were winning. Now says we should never have landed Kanter...

For where we are as a team it had little value. In hindsight if we made this deal we shouldve shoved Kanter as the back up. This is nothing bad about Kanter but more about the complexity of the Knicks. We as a team needed 1 more top 5 pick-- you can say what u want but a big time piece from college is more important than winning 34 games. It's not about Kanter-- who has been having his minutes reduced the last few games. I'm not sure what the plan is right now anyway

RIP Crushalot😞
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/4/2018  1:30 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

For where we are as a team it had little value. In hindsight if we made this deal we shouldve shoved Kanter as the back up. This is nothing bad about Kanter but more about the complexity of the Knicks. We as a team needed 1 more top 5 pick-- you can say what u want but a big time piece from college is more important than winning 34 games. It's not about Kanter-- who has been having his minutes reduced the last few games. I'm not sure what the plan is right now anyway

It's the same as it was at the beginning of the season. You don't change it week to week

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/4/2018  1:33 PM
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

It's the same as it was at the beginning of the season. You don't change it week to week

Of course you do!!! What fun would it be to not?
Its better to tank, maybe get the next injury prone high draft choice, have KP leave in frustration, and we'll again be in the lottery.
Or, we can trade that pick, then watch as another team enjoys our pick while we wallow in the obscure.
No guarantee either way, but we tried the impatient way.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/4/2018  1:44 PM
I call bull****

Even if you pretend like Kanter hasn't been an impact player for us (he got 30 /20 for Christ's sake), we can flip him for a decent haul at the deadline. Mozgov got traded for two firsts. McBuckets can shoot threes, hell he can stroke it from there. He can land us some decent assets.

Now if you want to avoid talking about what we can get fo rthese guys -- okay. The bottomline is that the. Knicks. move. the. ball. THEY MOVE THE FUCKING BALL!!! ARE YOU BLIND -- HOW WAS THIS A BAD TRADE FOR US

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Finestrg
Member: #1069

1/4/2018  2:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2018  2:06 PM
I talked about this weeks ago and got very little reply. Still feel the same way -- Willy should be playing ahead of O'Quinn in the rotation. I'm just not nearly as high on O'Quinn as Jeff and the team seem to be. Willy has much better upside to me. They broke Willy down -- he has to be built back up from scratch..but it can be done. Should be done.

Suppose we flipped O'Quinn (along with another minor asset or 2) to Orlando for Khem Birch and the rights to Janis Timma. Birch, at 2 years younger than KOQ, slides right into that role (and I think this guy's a better player and would have more of an impact all around) + we get the rights to Timma, who I think is a better/more versatile version of Kuzminskas (a little smaller but much more mobile -- Kuz was a 3; this dude's a swingman 2/3). Timma, if you've seen clips of him, looks good enough for the NBA right now, plus he already has a connection with KP, having both played together in Latvia. I'd bring him over from Europe immediately. AND it would open up time for Willy (where Birch is inserted here and there as need).

Kanter
KP
Willy
Khem Birch
Janis Timma as an extra wing to incorporate. Talented player.

No idea if ORL would go for this or what they would want but it's hardly major assets being exchanged here. I think something like this is doable. I think it would help us, now and future. Do this and call up Trey Burke (which apparently some in the organization want to see). See where it goes. Minor moves that couldn't hurt -- could only help.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/4/2018  2:54 PM
Finestrg wrote:I talked about this weeks ago and got very little reply. Still feel the same way -- Willy should be playing ahead of O'Quinn in the rotation. I'm just not nearly as high on O'Quinn as Jeff and the team seem to be. Willy has much better upside to me. They broke Willy down -- he has to be built back up from scratch..but it can be done. Should be done.

Suppose we flipped O'Quinn (along with another minor asset or 2) to Orlando for Khem Birch and the rights to Janis Timma. Birch, at 2 years younger than KOQ, slides right into that role (and I think this guy's a better player and would have more of an impact all around) + we get the rights to Timma, who I think is a better/more versatile version of Kuzminskas (a little smaller but much more mobile -- Kuz was a 3; this dude's a swingman 2/3). Timma, if you've seen clips of him, looks good enough for the NBA right now, plus he already has a connection with KP, having both played together in Latvia. I'd bring him over from Europe immediately. AND it would open up time for Willy (where Birch is inserted here and there as need).

Kanter
KP
Willy
Khem Birch
Janis Timma as an extra wing to incorporate. Talented player.

No idea if ORL would go for this or what they would want but it's hardly major assets being exchanged here. I think something like this is doable. I think it would help us, now and future. Do this and call up Trey Burke (which apparently some in the organization want to see). See where it goes. Minor moves that couldn't hurt -- could only help.

Won't argue that Willy has upside, still think he does myself.

What makes you think "they" broke Willy down?

Can't it be as easy as KOQ outplayed him and deserves minutes?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Moving away from Willy at c hurt the team

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy