[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Article: Enes Kanter is enjoying the best season of his career and other players have taken notice
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
12/31/2017  11:34 AM
By: Frank Urbina | December 29, 2017

When the Carmelo Anthony trade finally went down, most of the focus was placed on his departure from the New York Knicks – and rightfully so.

Little was made of the package the Knicks received in return, which included two players: one, a floor-spacing wing, and the other, a bulking big man with known issues on one side of the floor.

Nevertheless, Doug McDermott and Enes Kanter have turned heads with their surprisingly excellent play thus far this season.

The former is hitting 40.8 percent of his 2.8 nightly three-point attempts, meaning he’s doing exactly what was expected of him. But it’s the latter, who is enjoying by far his most productive season as a pro, that we’re here to discuss.

For starters, Kanter has always rebounded at an elite clip, and that hasn’t changed.

The Turkish big man currently ranks second in offensive rebound rate (16.6 percent) and fourth in overall rebound rate (22.8 percent) among qualified players.

What’s more, the 25-year-old has scored an absurd 119 points off of put-backs in 2017-18, the second-highest total in the league, trailing only Andre Drummond.

Using his stout frame and relentless energy, it’s nearly impossible to keep Kanter away from offensive rebounds.

“It’s hard to keep him off the glass because he’s ultra strong and gets low to wedge you under,” Philadelphia 76ers big man Trevor Booker said of Kanter’s offensive rebounding. “He goes after every rebound. A lot of times, he does his work early in the possession and works you under the basket before the shot is taken.”

Indiana Pacers center Myles Turner also gave us his thoughts regarding Kanter’s ferocity on the glass, telling HoopsHype: “He waits for you to play help defense and gets good position when you’re trying to recover and gets you out of the way.”

With shoulders seemingly made of titanium, the Knicks big man has also continued to shine as a post-up menace.

Among players with over 100 post-up opportunities this season (passes included), Kanter ranks No. 3 in points per possession (PPP) at 1.04. That mark only trails Denver Nuggets star Nikola Jokic (1.09) and Minnesota Timberwolves freak Karl-Anthony Towns (1.05), per Synergy Sports Tech.

“On the block, his footwork is great,” Kings’ Garrett Temple told HoopsHype. “He knows angles and uses fakes well!”

Turner, who himself produces an impressive 1.03 PPP on post-ups (passes included), said: “[Kanter] uses his body pretty well in the post and he makes good reads.”

It’s those reads out of the post that Turner mentioned which have made Kanter a more complete player this season.

NEXT
NYC Woman Offers Rat Killing Services For Cash

After being mostly a black hole with the ball in his hands throughout his career, the New York Knickerbocker is now averaging 1.4 assists per contest. Prior to 2017-18, Kanter had never averaged more than 0.9 nightly dimes, making his vast improvement as a distributor all the more impressive.

No one’s going to be mistaking him for Jokic or fellow avid passer out of the post Marc Gasol any time soon, but Kanter is doing a far better job of keeping his head up, sensing hard doubles and finding open shooters on the perimeter.

Specifically, when Kanter has been double-teamed on the left block this season, his passing out to shooters has produced 1.35 PPP, the best rate in the league, per Synergy.

Sure, some luck is involved in that, as his teammates do, after all, have to knock the shots down. Regardless, their center is giving them pristine looks.

Offensive improvements aside, Kanter is also on pace to finish the season with positive scores in both Defensive Box Plus/Minus, as well as NBA Math’s Defensive Points Saved – a feat the 6-foot-11 bruiser has never accomplished before.

Overall, Kanter is averaging 13.7 points and 10.3 rebounds per outing. He’s hitting a career-high 59.3 percent of his field-goal attempts and a career-best 88.7 percent of his freebies.

Considering New York budding superstar Kristaps Porzingis has publicly stated (multiple times) his aversion to playing center, it’s possible the Knicks have found themselves the perfect, rebound-gobbling big man to pair with their franchise cornerstone.

The duo aptly covers each other’s deficiencies. Kanter isn’t the best rim-protector; Porzingis is fourth in blocks per contest (2.2). Porzingis struggles on the glass; Kanter feasts on rebounds.

How much longer the fearsome twosome remain together will go a long way in determining the Knicks’ immediate future.

Despite the fact Kanter is under contract for one more season with his current team (while letting it be known how much he loves playing in New York City), he does own a player option on the final year of his deal.

With his play reaching such productive heights, is it conceivable Kanter would opt out and test the open waters of free agency anyway, passing on an obscene $18.4 million in the process?

For the aforementioned reasons (his love for the situation he’s in and the amount of money the Knicks owe him if he sticks around in 2018-19), a Kanter opt-out doesn’t seem likely.

But if he keeps performing at the level he’s presently at, it shouldn’t be entirely ruled out, either.

You can find Frank Urbina on Twitter @frankurbina_.

HoopsHype’s own Alex Kennedy contributed to this article.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/12/29/enes-kanter-is-enjoying-the-best-season-of-his-career-and-other-players-have-taken-notice/
Missed this the other day. If you follow the link the author included several videos.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/31/2017  7:45 PM
Im confident that Perry is aware of these numbers as well. While I dont expect Kanter to ask for peanuts, I dont expect him to ask for a deal that will keep the Knicks at an uncompetitive level.

Nice to see a Knick who wants to represent, and is putting up the numbers to prove it.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

12/31/2017  8:51 PM
IS Doug realy hitting 40% from 3? I keep seeing him miss wide open shots. Feels like he airballs more often than he hits.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
USA
12/31/2017  9:02 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:IS Doug realy hitting 40% from 3? I keep seeing him miss wide open shots. Feels like he airballs more often than he hits.
I think he was at 42% before this recent stretch.
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/1/2018  8:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/1/2018  8:59 AM
This should scare Knick fans. A player having an outstanding individual season, while his team +/- numbers are weak, while in a contract year.
He has all the hype and recognition to get a 80M/4 years type of deal. I would stay away if the deal is above 10M a year. I'd keep O'Quinn instead because he'll be cheaper. If Enes is willing to stay at a deal closer to 10 than 20 a year, I'd love to have him back.

The skillset he has, on a Porzingis led team, is just not worth 20M a year. The individual numbers he is putting up, I just find it hard to see him not get a massive offer somewhere. It should not be us, We have Noah and Willy on contract for two more years and O'Quinn could be kept likely in a 6 to 8 M a year range. We need to spend the moeny on a wing more than we need to spend 20 on Kanter. I think unless there's a trade before the trade deadline, it makes little sense for the Knicks to keep Kanter at his current price tag. 10, 12 M a year is about as high I'd go.

If we keep O'Quinn at 6-8 M a year, and Kanter opts out, stretch Baker, I think we could have up to 15M in space to make a run for a starting wing. Even more if stretch Lee instead of Baker (not saying this is what I'd do, but it's an option to open up lots of space for a star wing). Our priority this summer should be to get a starting level guard/wing type. That will cost at the very least 15M a year. Then there's Beasley. He has been playing well, you probably have to pay him the room exception next year to keep him. I'd like to keep Beas as an insurance policy for KP's injuries.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

1/1/2018  9:12 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/1/2018  9:31 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Im confident that Perry is aware of these numbers as well. While I dont expect Kanter to ask for peanuts, I dont expect him to ask for a deal that will keep the Knicks at an uncompetitive level.

Nice to see a Knick who wants to represent, and is putting up the numbers to prove it.

So tough could he be had for 15 per? I think 10 is unrealistic but I guess it depends on how many teams have cap space

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/1/2018  9:25 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:This should scare Knick fans. A player having an outstanding individual season, while his team +/- numbers are weak, while in a contract year.
He has all the hype and recognition to get a 80M/4 years type of deal. I would stay away if the deal is above 10M a year. I'd keep O'Quinn instead because he'll be cheaper. If Enes is willing to stay at a deal closer to 10 than 20 a year, I'd love to have him back.

The skillset he has, on a Porzingis led team, is just not worth 20M a year. The individual numbers he is putting up, I just find it hard to see him not get a massive offer somewhere. It should not be us, We have Noah and Willy on contract for two more years and O'Quinn could be kept likely in a 6 to 8 M a year range. We need to spend the moeny on a wing more than we need to spend 20 on Kanter. I think unless there's a trade before the trade deadline, it makes little sense for the Knicks to keep Kanter at his current price tag. 10, 12 M a year is about as high I'd go.

If we keep O'Quinn at 6-8 M a year, and Kanter opts out, stretch Baker, I think we could have up to 15M in space to make a run for a starting wing. Even more if stretch Lee instead of Baker (not saying this is what I'd do, but it's an option to open up lots of space for a star wing). Our priority this summer should be to get a starting level guard/wing type. That will cost at the very least 15M a year. Then there's Beasley. He has been playing well, you probably have to pay him the room exception next year to keep him. I'd like to keep Beas as an insurance policy for KP's injuries.

Yes I agree with all of this. If Kanter's perception around the league is strong, it's time to cash in. Sell high for once. We need to cash in before he does.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

1/1/2018  10:18 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:This should scare Knick fans. A player having an outstanding individual season, while his team +/- numbers are weak, while in a contract year.

Yes I agree with all of this. If Kanter's perception around the league is strong, it's time to cash in. Sell high for once. We need to cash in before he does.

The problem is how many contending teams are giving us a useful piece or a draft pick for Kanter. He makes a lot of money not many teams have contracts that they can send out and stay under the cap

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
CrushAlot
USA
1/1/2018  10:26 AM

Is there a link that shows his team + - numbers? His BPM is 3.52 which is good and is also a career high for him. Also, are there variables to consider (I.e. Point guard play etc.).
Bonn1997
USA
1/1/2018  10:43 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

Is there a link that shows his team + - numbers? His BPM is 3.52 which is good and is also a career high for him. Also, are there variables to consider (I.e. Point guard play etc.).

His BPM is good because of his scoring and rebounding. He's a statistical enigma. Some stats make him look like a superstar and some like a really bad bench player. The overall picture I think is that there are too many red flags to give him a huge contract.
meloshouldgo

1/1/2018  11:31 AM
NBA math -seems weird. Klay Thompson has a defensive points saved score of -60.5????? WTF?? According to their score he is an average NBA player,
And Dakari Johnson of OKC is a better player than him...
Bonn1997
USA
1/1/2018  11:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/1/2018  11:38 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:NBA math -seems weird. Klay Thompson has a defensive points saved score of -60.5????? WTF?? According to their score he is an average NBA player,

What stat is this? Do you have a link? Regardless, it is a bad idea to rely on one stat, and even worse to use one stat from 1/4th of one season.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/1/2018  11:56 AM
Need to build a team that compliments its best player and maintains the identity we are trying to establish. By all accounts, Kanter does both. We can dig into the metrics all we want, but it doesn't account for the toughness and heart he brings.
meloshouldgo

1/1/2018  12:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/1/2018  12:11 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:NBA math -seems weird. Klay Thompson has a defensive points saved score of -60.5????? WTF?? According to their score he is an average NBA player,

What stat is this? Do you have a link? Regardless, it is a bad idea to rely on one stat, and even worse to use one stat from 1/4th of one season.

It's on their website - They call it TPA (Total points added) - it's referenced in the article above to bolster the case for Kanter.
https://nbamath.com/2017-18-nba-tpa/ There's your link KP is the 125th ranked player in the NBA and Kaly is 173rd !!
I am not relying on the stat - I was curious what it was when I read the "article" above and I looked it up.

Offensive improvements aside, Kanter is also on pace to finish the season with positive scores in both Defensive Box Plus/Minus, as well as NBA Math’s Defensive Points Saved – a feat the 6-foot-11 bruiser has never accomplished before.
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/1/2018  12:07 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

http://www.82games.com/1718/1718NYK.HTM

Look at on/off
they are a good indicator of impact and role being right IMO

Bonn1997
USA
1/1/2018  12:13 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

It's on their website - They call it TPA (Total points added) - it's referenced in the article above to bolster the case for Kanter.
https://nbamath.com/2017-18-nba-tpa/ There's your link KP is the 125th ranked player in the NBA and Kaly is 173rd !!
I am not relying on the stat - I was curious what it was when I read the "article" above and I looked it up.

Gotcha. I misunderstood.
Article: Enes Kanter is enjoying the best season of his career and other players have taken notice

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy