[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kanter Free Agency
Author Thread
Knixkik
Posts: 29483
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
12/26/2017  11:52 AM
Leading up to this summer, there will be a lot of talk about Kanter's contract situation. He has a player option this summer, and who knows whether or not he will pick it up. What i do know is, this is turning into an ideal situation for the Knicks. You have a handful of teams with cap space. Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, and LA, and i don't see any of them going after Kanter. Kanter, for all of his strengths and ideal fit on this team, is still a middle-of-the-pack starting center at best. There is a surplus of good, but not great centers in the league right now. The Noah/Mahinmi/Biyombo money just isn't going to be there for any of these guys ever again. The league going smaller, few teams having space, and the surplus of centers will combined for a rough situation for guys like Kanter. The Noel snafu last summer adds to the potential difficulties for some of these guys. That money will never be there again for him. These guys can see the writing on the wall.

My guess is Kanter takes his opt in and delays free agency, or tries to get an extension on his contract, even at a significant paycut. We might land him for 12 mil a year or so. It's better than riding out his contract and getting stuck taking the mid-level exception, which some of these guys will be doing this summer.

All in all, giving the circumstances, my guess is we are able to keep Kanter on a long-term value contract. Considering what he brings to the table, it's a steal. Getting him in the Melo deal is turning out to be quite a prize for this team if we are able to keep him on a team friendly deal.

AUTOADVERT
anrst
Posts: 22402
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/7/2005
Member: #1054
USA
12/26/2017  12:02 PM
when the trade went down people were praying for him to opt out
Knixkik
Posts: 29483
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
12/26/2017  12:09 PM
anrst wrote:when the trade went down people were praying for him to opt out

Yeah its crazy to think about now. He's earning his contract. But it's also great to think about how he might resign for significantly less money because of the market.

BRIGGS
Posts: 50375
Alba Posts: 8
Joined: 7/30/2002
Member: #303
12/26/2017  12:32 PM
Knixkik wrote:
anrst wrote:when the trade went down people were praying for him to opt out

Yeah its crazy to think about now. He's earning his contract. But it's also great to think about how he might resign for significantly less money because of the market.

If he plays anywhere near what he is( I'm assuming he's now healthy) if you were his agent-- it would be impossible not to ask for close to a 5 year max

Knixkik
Posts: 29483
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
12/26/2017  12:37 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
anrst wrote:when the trade went down people were praying for him to opt out

Yeah its crazy to think about now. He's earning his contract. But it's also great to think about how he might resign for significantly less money because of the market.

If he plays anywhere near what he is( I'm assuming he's now healthy) if you were his agent-- it would be impossible not to ask for close to a 5 year max

He will ask because it's his job. Then the knicks will counter with something significantly less. Then what? Briggs, who offers Kanter anywhere near the max? Why is an agent asking for max even relevant? Look at what happened what Noel's agent asked for the max last year? You are really underestimating what market value means. You think because he asks for it, the Knicks will give it?

BRIGGS
Posts: 50375
Alba Posts: 8
Joined: 7/30/2002
Member: #303
12/26/2017  1:17 PM
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
anrst wrote:when the trade went down people were praying for him to opt out

Yeah its crazy to think about now. He's earning his contract. But it's also great to think about how he might resign for significantly less money because of the market.

If he plays anywhere near what he is( I'm assuming he's now healthy) if you were his agent-- it would be impossible not to ask for close to a 5 year max

He will ask because it's his job. Then the knicks will counter with something significantly less. Then what? Briggs, who offers Kanter anywhere near the max? Why is an agent asking for max even relevant? Look at what happened what Noel's agent asked for the max last year? You are really underestimating what market value means. You think because he asks for it, the Knicks will give it?

You're kidding yourself if you think if kanter plays anything like this that other teams won't offer huge$

CrushAlot
Posts: 56614
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
12/26/2017  1:28 PM
When the trade went down I was sure he would opt in because the market for centers was so bad. He has played so well and brings so much to the team that I think he opts out. I think he should be considered a part of the core with KP, Tim and Frank. Not sure what he should get paid but the Knicks need him. Also, if they keep him do they need to trade Willy?
You playTrey Burke... Wally Szcerbiak
BigDaddyG
Posts: 25777
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

12/26/2017  2:07 PM
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
anrst wrote:when the trade went down people were praying for him to opt out

Yeah its crazy to think about now. He's earning his contract. But it's also great to think about how he might resign for significantly less money because of the market.

If he plays anywhere near what he is( I'm assuming he's now healthy) if you were his agent-- it would be impossible not to ask for close to a 5 year max

He will ask because it's his job. Then the knicks will counter with something significantly less. Then what? Briggs, who offers Kanter anywhere near the max? Why is an agent asking for max even relevant? Look at what happened what Noel's agent asked for the max last year? You are really underestimating what market value means. You think because he asks for it, the Knicks will give it?

When you think about it, he still only plays half a game. You can't give max money for that. Throw in the fact that none of the players in the upcoming free agency market look like potential destinations and I think it's safe to say Kanter opts in. Maybe he opts out with the understanding that we'll sign him to a longer term contract?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BRIGGS
Posts: 50375
Alba Posts: 8
Joined: 7/30/2002
Member: #303
12/26/2017  2:14 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
anrst wrote:when the trade went down people were praying for him to opt out

Yeah its crazy to think about now. He's earning his contract. But it's also great to think about how he might resign for significantly less money because of the market.

If he plays anywhere near what he is( I'm assuming he's now healthy) if you were his agent-- it would be impossible not to ask for close to a 5 year max

He will ask because it's his job. Then the knicks will counter with something significantly less. Then what? Briggs, who offers Kanter anywhere near the max? Why is an agent asking for max even relevant? Look at what happened what Noel's agent asked for the max last year? You are really underestimating what market value means. You think because he asks for it, the Knicks will give it?

When you think about it, he still only plays half a game. You can't give max money for that. Throw in the fact that none of the players in the upcoming free agency market look like potential destinations and I think it's safe to say Kanter opts in. Maybe he opts out with the understanding that we'll sign him to a longer term contract?

I don't see under almost any circumstance barring injury-- a scenario where he doesn't opt out-- how irresponsible would that be? If kanter gets hurt and leaves 75-100 mm on table-- isn't happening

EnySpree
Posts: 44729
Alba Posts: 138
Joined: 4/18/2003
Member: #397

12/26/2017  2:14 PM
Kanter wants to be here. He associates the team with family. He adopted the city. He's very friendly with the fans. I think he will override his agent to stay here. We have a good thing going with Kanter and KP.... we can't keep flipping guys chasing draft picks and cheap value players.

The real question needs to go to what we do with Noah, Willy and KOQ. 2 of those guys have to go.

Hardaway needs to get healthy. Courtney Lee has been great for us. We need better support from our bench. At times the guys we have can be brilliant. Other times they are a waste of space. Scott Perry has a really tough job to sort this all out

You know why I'm here....
BigDaddyG
Posts: 25777
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

12/26/2017  2:27 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
anrst wrote:when the trade went down people were praying for him to opt out

Yeah its crazy to think about now. He's earning his contract. But it's also great to think about how he might resign for significantly less money because of the market.

If he plays anywhere near what he is( I'm assuming he's now healthy) if you were his agent-- it would be impossible not to ask for close to a 5 year max

He will ask because it's his job. Then the knicks will counter with something significantly less. Then what? Briggs, who offers Kanter anywhere near the max? Why is an agent asking for max even relevant? Look at what happened what Noel's agent asked for the max last year? You are really underestimating what market value means. You think because he asks for it, the Knicks will give it?

When you think about it, he still only plays half a game. You can't give max money for that. Throw in the fact that none of the players in the upcoming free agency market look like potential destinations and I think it's safe to say Kanter opts in. Maybe he opts out with the understanding that we'll sign him to a longer term contract?

I don't see under almost any circumstance barring injury-- a scenario where he doesn't opt out-- how irresponsible would that be? If kanter gets hurt and leaves 75-100 mm on table-- isn't happening


Is he leaving $75-$100 on the table? Kanter's agent needs to read the market so his client doesn't end up like Nerlens Noel.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
Posts: 29483
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
12/26/2017  2:32 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
anrst wrote:when the trade went down people were praying for him to opt out

Yeah its crazy to think about now. He's earning his contract. But it's also great to think about how he might resign for significantly less money because of the market.

If he plays anywhere near what he is( I'm assuming he's now healthy) if you were his agent-- it would be impossible not to ask for close to a 5 year max

He will ask because it's his job. Then the knicks will counter with something significantly less. Then what? Briggs, who offers Kanter anywhere near the max? Why is an agent asking for max even relevant? Look at what happened what Noel's agent asked for the max last year? You are really underestimating what market value means. You think because he asks for it, the Knicks will give it?

You're kidding yourself if you think if kanter plays anything like this that other teams won't offer huge$

I think you're way off on this. Kanter is putting up great numbers, but a 14 and 10 player does not get anything near max in this market. You have 4 teams with money to spend. He is a low post player who doesn't play outside or block shots and is the complete opposite as what's trending today. His value is partially because of how well he compliments KP and vice versa. He is lucky you aren't his agent, because it would be Noel all over again.

BigDaddyG
Posts: 25777
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

12/26/2017  2:34 PM
EnySpree wrote:Kanter wants to be here. He associates the team with family. He adopted the city. He's very friendly with the fans. I think he will override his agent to stay here. We have a good thing going with Kanter and KP.... we can't keep flipping guys chasing draft picks and cheap value players.

The real question needs to go to what we do with Noah, Willy and KOQ. 2 of those guys have to go.

Hardaway needs to get healthy. Courtney Lee has been great for us. We need better support from our bench. At times the guys we have can be brilliant. Other times they are a waste of space. Scott Perry has a really tough job to sort this all out


I think Perry was being honest when he acknowledged that this was going to be a rebuilding year. A couple of things fell into place and we're better than expected, but we're still rebuilding. I can't be too upset because the roster is what it is. I agree, that we need to figure out what to do with our spare bigs. But let's be honest, no of those guys are going to bring back the wing help we need unless we package our first. Is it worth it at this point? I don't think so.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
Posts: 29483
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
12/26/2017  2:35 PM
EnySpree wrote:Kanter wants to be here. He associates the team with family. He adopted the city. He's very friendly with the fans. I think he will override his agent to stay here. We have a good thing going with Kanter and KP.... we can't keep flipping guys chasing draft picks and cheap value players.

The real question needs to go to what we do with Noah, Willy and KOQ. 2 of those guys have to go.

Hardaway needs to get healthy. Courtney Lee has been great for us. We need better support from our bench. At times the guys we have can be brilliant. Other times they are a waste of space. Scott Perry has a really tough job to sort this all out


I agree. I think he comes back on a team friendly extension similar to what Covington just did. As for the logjam, Willy will remain here as he is on a cheap deal and is close with KP. He will eventually emerge as the backup center. KOQ is likely gone. Noah will stay at 3rd string until his deal expires or he is bought out/stretched.
GoNyGoNyGo
Posts: 23096
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/29/2003
Member: #411
USA
12/26/2017  2:43 PM
He loves NY, He will opt-in and stay.

He is a good fit next to KP.

Yet another mistake by Dolan. When will it end?
ekstarks94
Posts: 20503
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/5/2015
Member: #6104

12/26/2017  2:47 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
anrst wrote:when the trade went down people were praying for him to opt out

Yeah its crazy to think about now. He's earning his contract. But it's also great to think about how he might resign for significantly less money because of the market.

If he plays anywhere near what he is( I'm assuming he's now healthy) if you were his agent-- it would be impossible not to ask for close to a 5 year max

He will ask because it's his job. Then the knicks will counter with something significantly less. Then what? Briggs, who offers Kanter anywhere near the max? Why is an agent asking for max even relevant? Look at what happened what Noel's agent asked for the max last year? You are really underestimating what market value means. You think because he asks for it, the Knicks will give it?

When you think about it, he still only plays half a game. You can't give max money for that. Throw in the fact that none of the players in the upcoming free agency market look like potential destinations and I think it's safe to say Kanter opts in. Maybe he opts out with the understanding that we'll sign him to a longer term contract?

I don't see under almost any circumstance barring injury-- a scenario where he doesn't opt out-- how irresponsible would that be? If kanter gets hurt and leaves 75-100 mm on table-- isn't happening


Is he leaving $75-$100 on the table? Kanter's agent needs to read the market so his client doesn't end up like Nerlens Noel.

Noel less than 1 dimensional...not an offensive threat or a defensive stalwart...he is a rim runner...he should have taken the 70 mill DAL offered with an opt out after 2 or 3 yrs...

ekstarks94
Posts: 20503
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/5/2015
Member: #6104

12/26/2017  2:49 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Kanter wants to be here. He associates the team with family. He adopted the city. He's very friendly with the fans. I think he will override his agent to stay here. We have a good thing going with Kanter and KP.... we can't keep flipping guys chasing draft picks and cheap value players.

The real question needs to go to what we do with Noah, Willy and KOQ. 2 of those guys have to go.

Hardaway needs to get healthy. Courtney Lee has been great for us. We need better support from our bench. At times the guys we have can be brilliant. Other times they are a waste of space. Scott Perry has a really tough job to sort this all out


I think Perry was being honest when he acknowledged that this was going to be a rebuilding year. A couple of things fell into place and we're better than expected, but we're still rebuilding. I can't be too upset because the roster is what it is. I agree, that we need to figure out what to do with our spare bigs. But let's be honest, no of those guys are going to bring back the wing help we need unless we package our first. Is it worth it at this point? I don't think so.

If Willy did not regress...which I strongly believe is temporary...he would bring us something decent...dunno about now

BRIGGS
Posts: 50375
Alba Posts: 8
Joined: 7/30/2002
Member: #303
12/26/2017  3:21 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:He loves NY, He will opt-in and stay.

He is a good fit next to KP.

He seemed to like Okc to. So he shouldn’t feel that ny should show loyalty but he should? I think what will happen is a 4-5 yr contract over 10

Welpee
Posts: 21896
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/22/2016
Member: #6239

12/26/2017  3:43 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:He loves NY, He will opt-in and stay.

He is a good fit next to KP.

Or opt out and try and stay...making more money.
EnySpree
Posts: 44729
Alba Posts: 138
Joined: 4/18/2003
Member: #397

12/26/2017  3:44 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Kanter wants to be here. He associates the team with family. He adopted the city. He's very friendly with the fans. I think he will override his agent to stay here. We have a good thing going with Kanter and KP.... we can't keep flipping guys chasing draft picks and cheap value players.

The real question needs to go to what we do with Noah, Willy and KOQ. 2 of those guys have to go.

Hardaway needs to get healthy. Courtney Lee has been great for us. We need better support from our bench. At times the guys we have can be brilliant. Other times they are a waste of space. Scott Perry has a really tough job to sort this all out


I think Perry was being honest when he acknowledged that this was going to be a rebuilding year. A couple of things fell into place and we're better than expected, but we're still rebuilding. I can't be too upset because the roster is what it is. I agree, that we need to figure out what to do with our spare bigs. But let's be honest, no of those guys are going to bring back the wing help we need unless we package our first. Is it worth it at this point? I don't think so.

If Willy did not regress...which I strongly believe is temporary...he would bring us something decent...dunno about now

This is the argument we keep going back to and I'm willing to bet the Knicks front office is doing the same. What we do know is we have to factor Kanter in to the Knicks prime equation. Noah contract is nuts.... we love KOQ but he's the one guy prime for an unwanted contract. Willy is not going to give us more than Kanter as far as on floor production. The Knicks will be more than fine with Kanter, Noah and KP playing center. Knicks need to see what they can get for KOQ, Willy and possibly Derm

You know why I'm here....
Kanter Free Agency

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.