[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Replace Thomas and BAker
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
12/26/2017  8:37 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Thomas is best served as a backup 4. He's quick for that position and can stretch the floor on offense.

With the THJ injury he is playing more time at 3.

Our usual rotation would be THJ/McDermott at the 3, and Porzingis/Thomas at the 4. I see nothing wrong there. Where we need help is the PG spot. While Jack is solid and a good vet, he is not a starter in the league. We need a starter. One that plays like Jack in regards to his veteran presence and one who passes the ball. Unlike Jack though, a threat to also score.

Trey Burke is not the answer. The right PG has to be brought in. I liked George Hill over the summer. I like Ricky Rubio. We need a player that will play off Porzingis, Kanter and Hardaway. But also be aggressive and create shots for teammates. This can be Frank, but it will be a while before Frank can do this as a starter. We need a veteran that can do it for now, in the meantime, say the next 2 years, until Frank is ready.

Interesting to see if Sacramento would be willing to deal George Hill. I think that's a really good point guard for where we are right now. He'll step aside for Frank and can even play with Frank. He can run a team. He can shoot and score when need be. He will play well off Porzingis and Kanter. Wonder what Saramento would want for him. I'd also suggest Mike Conley. but I don't want the Knicks taking on that contract.

Hill is 31, just signed a 3 yr 57 million dollar deal and reportedly is unhappy that the Kings are focusing on rebuilding and development. He might be a good fit if he made less, was younger and was cool with the plan that his replacement was on the roster and would be learning from him. None of those things are the case though. Jack at vet minimum is a good fit for what the Knicks need in my opinion.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/26/2017  9:40 PM
The thing I don't like is that Jack neither puts us in the playoffs or we are developing Frank.
If we really want to win now and be a playoff team we need to make a trade because what we have is borderline playoff. Highest odds are to be just missing the playoffs as a 9 or 10 ranked team.

No problem if we don't want a longterm rebuild .... but we then need to make some moves to get a better backcourt to increase our chances at being a playoff team.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/26/2017  10:28 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:The thing I don't like is that Jack neither puts us in the playoffs or we are developing Frank.
If we really want to win now and be a playoff team we need to make a trade because what we have is borderline playoff. Highest odds are to be just missing the playoffs as a 9 or 10 ranked team.

No problem if we don't want a longterm rebuild .... but we then need to make some moves to get a better backcourt to increase our chances at being a playoff team.

Why do you keep saying the Knicks are not developing Frank just because he is not starting?

I think the Knicks are doing things quite nicely. If they had started a Frank the first unit would have been worst off than the first 3 games under Sessions (ie you don’t develop KP THJr Kanter
Lee unit) and maybe Frank is overwhelmed.

Even guys like Nash at 22 didn’t start. Plenty of other examples.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
12/26/2017  10:32 PM
martin wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:The thing I don't like is that Jack neither puts us in the playoffs or we are developing Frank.

Why do you keep saying the Knicks are not developing Frank just because he is not starting?

I think the Knicks are doing things quite nicely. If they had started a Frank the first unit would have been worst off than the first 3 games under Sessions (ie you don’t develop KP THJr Kanter
Lee unit) and maybe Frank is overwhelmed.

Even guys like Nash at 22 didn’t start. Plenty of other examples.

Not only is Frank getting plenty of minutes, he's often closing out games. They're developing him just fine.
He's a rook. And his conditioning still needs to come along. He often looks gassed.

reub
Member: #6227

12/26/2017  10:53 PM
Baker should be shooting threes and playing hard defense. Having him dribbling and driving to the hoop is counterproductive.
Welpee
Member: #6239

12/26/2017  11:27 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Finestrg wrote:I agree with this. While I respect the scrappiness from both guys, I think we're better off going more with Beasley and like I've been saying, I want an obtainable upgrade at PG without breaking the bank (for now anyway) -- go get Cat Barber from the G-League and let's see if I'm right on the production he can provide. Cat Barber = a MAJOR upgrade over Baker imo, even our starter, Jack. He's fully capable of providing all the requisite facilitation Jack's been providing + so much more -- speed, breakdown ability, the ability to take over offensively.. Those two minor, no-skin-off-our back moves (if it didn't work out, we turn the page quickly), are the way to go first before we trade for Tyreke Evans or anything else brash. Up to me, Barber would've been a Knick weeks ago, and now that Beasley's been showing his worth, he needs to play more. Can't have his mins. limited at all in any way by Lance Thomas.
I would prefer calling up Tre Burke.
I haven't watched the d league much this year. Barber looked great last summer against the Knicks. Was Burke on the squad at that point? I like Barber but there is something to be said about bringing up your own guy. Either way, it would not be a huge risk to give one of those guys some run with the big club. Not sure who the Knicks waive though. Sessions?
Burke has been G League player of the week for two consecutive weeks, putting up almost 27 ppg, 5+ assists, shooting 50% fg (he is also posting 3+ TOs) for the season. Whether that means anything, who knows? Also kicking Sessions to the curb would have little impact in my opinion.
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

12/27/2017  6:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/27/2017  6:37 PM
Welpee wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Finestrg wrote:I agree with this. While I respect the scrappiness from both guys, I think we're better off going more with Beasley and like I've been saying, I want an obtainable upgrade at PG without breaking the bank (for now anyway) -- go get Cat Barber from the G-League and let's see if I'm right on the production he can provide. Cat Barber = a MAJOR upgrade over Baker imo, even our starter, Jack. He's fully capable of providing all the requisite facilitation Jack's been providing + so much more -- speed, breakdown ability, the ability to take over offensively.. Those two minor, no-skin-off-our back moves (if it didn't work out, we turn the page quickly), are the way to go first before we trade for Tyreke Evans or anything else brash. Up to me, Barber would've been a Knick weeks ago, and now that Beasley's been showing his worth, he needs to play more. Can't have his mins. limited at all in any way by Lance Thomas.
I would prefer calling up Tre Burke.
I haven't watched the d league much this year. Barber looked great last summer against the Knicks. Was Burke on the squad at that point? I like Barber but there is something to be said about bringing up your own guy. Either way, it would not be a huge risk to give one of those guys some run with the big club. Not sure who the Knicks waive though. Sessions?
Burke has been G League player of the week for two consecutive weeks, putting up almost 27 ppg, 5+ assists, shooting 50% fg (he is also posting 3+ TOs) for the season. Whether that means anything, who knows? Also kicking Sessions to the curb would have little impact in my opinion.

I prefer Barber over Burke, although Burke could be beneficial as well. I just feel Barber is the better choice -- a little younger and even more dynamic when it comes to speed and overall offensive potential impact (which is what I'm looking for -- a younger, quicker PG option that can duplicate Jack's adequate facilitation + add a whole new dimension offensively. I'd love to see what adding that dimension could do for us -- I think it would galvanize this team big time). And yeah Crush -- I think Sessions would be the guy to get waived in favor of Barber or Burke. This is a small, low risk tinker-type move worth making imo.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/27/2017  7:15 PM
reub wrote:Baker should be shooting threes and playing hard defense. Having him dribbling and driving to the hoop is counterproductive.

When he goes to the hoop he needs to go with the mentality that he will throw it down. Dunk or get fouled-- he's 6-4 225.

RIP Crushalot😞
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/27/2017  7:31 PM
Lance isn't starting tonight.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/27/2017  8:03 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
reub wrote:Baker should be shooting threes and playing hard defense. Having him dribbling and driving to the hoop is counterproductive.

When he goes to the hoop he needs to go with the mentality that he will throw it down. Dunk or get fouled-- he's 6-4 225.

Forget that.... He's a guard... if you don't watt him dribbling and driving then this guy doesn't belong In the nba. He can't even shoot so it's a no brainer that he doesn't belong here

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Replace Thomas and BAker

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy