Article on Kanter's offensive rebounding
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
12/17/2017  12:04 PM
Enes “The Menace” Kanter
If you go to Basketball-Reference’s homepage and type in “Enes Kanter,” you’ll notice the only nickname listed for him is “Enes the Menace.” And that’s all he needs, as it perfectly sums up his abilities on the glass.

On the season, he’s averaging 19.4 rebounds per 100 possessions (seventh in the NBA), surpassing his career high set in 2015-16. Furthermore, he’s recorded 16 or more boards five times this season—something only DeAndre Jordan, Dwight Howard and Andre Drummond have done more often. This prowess is a huge reason why the New York Knicks are snatching 52.7 percent of all available rebounds, with only the Philadelphia 76ers grabbing a higher percentage.

It’s not just how many missed shots Kanter’s pulling down that’s impressive, even though that deserves notoriety in and of itself. It’s the fashion in which he’s snatching these away from his opponents.

The big man displays his beast-like skills as a rebounder by ripping down 16.6 percent of all available offensive rebounds, which ranks first in the league. The way he perpetually moves toward the basket when the attempt goes up, putting himself in the best possible position to succeed in bringing down the missed shot, is a nightmare for opposing centers. His instinctual ability to read the ball in the air and determine where it’s likely to bounce after hitting iron also allows him to gain a head start and increases the likelihood he’ll come down with the board:

As soon as Kanter realizes the shot’s going up, he slinks to his position on the very low block to try to outmuscle his man out of the paint and grab the brick. However, as soon as the ball leaves the shooter’s hand, he realizes it’s going to come off the opposite side of the hoop, which compels him to contort his body around the restricted area and into impeccable position on the weak side.

The Turkish center also relies on his incredible strength to make up for his lack of elite hops, often (legally) pushing around grown men as if he was back at Stoneridge Preparatory school in California:

Kanter does a great job here of getting lower than All-NBA center Marc Gasol, which allows him to take advantage of that Hulk-like strength. It’s also rare to see offensive players boxing out the defense, but that’s exactly what makes him so successful. He’s such a fundamentally sound player he’s been able to survive, and thrive, in this three-point-crazed version of the NBA with only 108 attempts from downtown in his career.

Once he gets those mitts on the ball, you better believe it’s staying high and away from the defense and going right back up toward the hoop. This prevents the little gnats around the basket from swiping it away and stealing the glory for themselves.

Unfortunately, this style of play has its downfalls, due to the amount of wear and tear racked up by the body. If Kanter can stay healthy the whole season, however, expect him to become just the 12th player in NBA history to record five or more offensive rebounds per 36 minutes.

I will try to post the link. Lots of videos.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
12/17/2017  12:05 PM
https://nbamath.com/swishes-with-sampson-kawhi-leonards-return-victor-oladipos-3-point-revolution-and-enes-the-menace/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Article on Kanter's offensive rebounding

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy