[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Tweaking the Culture.....
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/17/2017  10:16 AM
The 60 million dollar question: Was Phil worth it?
Let’s look real quick at the timeline, MSG does a McKinsey study’s and determines Dolan must back off and he hires Mills and fires Grunwald. Grun was not the problem, but not part of the solution. Mills is president and GM at the moment. This is October. Within weeks the Dolan seduction of Phil is in play and by March he is named president and mills GM.

I not going to argue Phils mistakes. He tried to “legislate by proxy” the Triangle and with the benefit of hindsight either he needed to coach to coach the team or hire the right surrogate to implement it. I think his first choice in Kerr was a good one. Luke Walton was not ready to take our reigns and in any event we did not have the talent. Old news.

So what did 60 mil buy Dolan? A tear down, even if clumsy at times was something not seen in MSG. PHil tried to rebuild and compete but at least he did not mortgage the future and remember we were short two no. 1 picks in his brief tenure! Clumsy was the hire of Fisher but he got it right with Hornacek.

Phil was wrong to give Melo his NTC but at the time it was reasonable. Melo in decline but a box office draw he was also correct to attempt to move him even if it was not a nice thing to do. Melo would not leave unless forced out and shamed into it. Phil looked bad doing it.
Phil handled the KP exit as a coach that was disrespected and wanted him gone. I get this level of thinking and his response. Which is exactly the reason why Phils firing was well timed and justified. Not the action of fielding trades was his undoing, but thinking like a coach.

In the end Mills moves back up and a good level headed GM in place and we needed not a Culture shake up but it just further evolved. Mills is in his natural place and has a good up and coming GM. Be nice to say this how it should have been all along but Phil, warts and all got us here and perhaps his celebrity was used also as a lightening rod to absorb what needed to be done. Melo had to move on. Horny became a good coach as well as Rambis! This team is playing up to its potential. It’s not a super talented team but exceeding its on paper projections.
And, we have rookies!!!!! Evolution of the culture still in progress. I like this team!!

AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

12/17/2017  1:44 PM
Really you started this again?
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/17/2017  2:06 PM
Paraphrasing that its a work in progress, not one era vs. another. Phil gone is a good thing, he moved the dial when here and left it to move forward. no hate or love, its just reality
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

12/17/2017  2:26 PM
Nalod wrote:Paraphrasing that its a work in progress, not one era vs. another. Phil gone is a good thing, he moved the dial when here and left it to move forward. no hate or love, its just reality

Phil is a ex-Knick from the only team that ever won a chip for us. He cared for the KNICKS unlike other people who cared more about "staying in New York and building their brand". Phil has eleven rings and he is a legend and he has ALREADY BUILD his brand. He was willing to stake that reputation to effect change for this sinking franchise and it's wannabe superstar. He did that and his reputation took a hit. He made some bone headed moves but he was consistent in what he wanted - he wanted the team to play system basketball and play defense. For that he gets lampooned on this board by Melo fans trying to cover up for all of MElo's abundant shortcomings - but for all their collective ranting he still has eleven rings and Melo has ZERO.

Tear downs aren't supposed to be perfect and Phil never claimed to be an expert at it - What Phil build is paying dividends and will continue to do so if we stick to the blue print.

Defense
Two-way players
Team emphasis
Ball Movement
Structured Offense

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

12/17/2017  3:57 PM
Nalod wrote:The 60 million dollar question: Was Phil worth it?
Let’s look real quick at the timeline, MSG does a McKinsey study’s and determines Dolan must back off and he hires Mills and fires Grunwald. Grun was not the problem, but not part of the solution. Mills is president and GM at the moment. This is October. Within weeks the Dolan seduction of Phil is in play and by March he is named president and mills GM.

I not going to argue Phils mistakes. He tried to “legislate by proxy” the Triangle and with the benefit of hindsight either he needed to coach to coach the team or hire the right surrogate to implement it. I think his first choice in Kerr was a good one. Luke Walton was not ready to take our reigns and in any event we did not have the talent. Old news.

So what did 60 mil buy Dolan? A tear down, even if clumsy at times was something not seen in MSG. PHil tried to rebuild and compete but at least he did not mortgage the future and remember we were short two no. 1 picks in his brief tenure! Clumsy was the hire of Fisher but he got it right with Hornacek.

Phil was wrong to give Melo his NTC but at the time it was reasonable. Melo in decline but a box office draw he was also correct to attempt to move him even if it was not a nice thing to do. Melo would not leave unless forced out and shamed into it. Phil looked bad doing it.
Phil handled the KP exit as a coach that was disrespected and wanted him gone. I get this level of thinking and his response. Which is exactly the reason why Phils firing was well timed and justified. Not the action of fielding trades was his undoing, but thinking like a coach.

In the end Mills moves back up and a good level headed GM in place and we needed not a Culture shake up but it just further evolved. Mills is in his natural place and has a good up and coming GM. Be nice to say this how it should have been all along but Phil, warts and all got us here and perhaps his celebrity was used also as a lightening rod to absorb what needed to be done. Melo had to move on. Horny became a good coach as well as Rambis! This team is playing up to its potential. It’s not a super talented team but exceeding its on paper projections.
And, we have rookies!!!!! Evolution of the culture still in progress. I like this team!!

Post of the week....

Great recap of Phils time in the seat

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/17/2017  7:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/17/2017  7:54 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Nalod wrote:Paraphrasing that its a work in progress, not one era vs. another. Phil gone is a good thing, he moved the dial when here and left it to move forward. no hate or love, its just reality

Phil is a ex-Knick from the only team that ever won a chip for us. He cared for the KNICKS unlike other people who cared more about "staying in New York and building their brand". Phil has eleven rings and he is a legend and he has ALREADY BUILD his brand. He was willing to stake that reputation to effect change for this sinking franchise and it's wannabe superstar. He did that and his reputation took a hit. He made some bone headed moves but he was consistent in what he wanted - he wanted the team to play system basketball and play defense. For that he gets lampooned on this board by Melo fans trying to cover up for all of MElo's abundant shortcomings - but for all their collective ranting he still has eleven rings and Melo has ZERO.

Tear downs aren't supposed to be perfect and Phil never claimed to be an expert at it - What Phil build is paying dividends and will continue to do so if we stick to the blue print.

Defense
Two-way players
Team emphasis
Ball Movement
Structured Offense

Most of the people can see things happening, but they have no idea why they are happening, and they have no idea how some small group of people can see the logic of life.
So they state that this is conspiracy. This cannot be that someone can be smarter that me. This is some setup...
So all good that Phil did for the Knick is accidental but bad things he did are intentional.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Tweaking the Culture.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy