[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Smoking meat, craft beer, home brew thread
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Posts: 58055
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
12/10/2017  1:13 PM
Thought these would be great topics for the ot thread. If you have a smoker and live in the rochester area Price Rite has pork shoulder for .69 lb. I have an old, cheap, charcoal brinkman that I modded out but use only three or four times a year.

In regards to home brew, Northern Brewer is having a great sale, 20% off kits and free shipping. Their kits make very good beer. I have never been an all grain guy so I like the results I get from their kits. Not a huge home brewer but I have been brewing for 25+ years.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
martin
Posts: 48142
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
12/10/2017  3:02 PM
I tell you what Crush, you hit on 2 of my favorite things: Craft beer and smoking meat. Actually they may be #3 and #4 behind eating and drinking them lol We are both lucky to be in Rochester, the craft beer scene here is VERY good. You get out and about to sample the breweries?

I don't do the home brew thing but know of a bunch of the Rochester folks who do and I know there are some local based FaceBook groups dedicated to that.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Posts: 58055
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
12/10/2017  4:26 PM
martin wrote:I tell you what Crush, you hit on 2 of my favorite things: Craft beer and smoking meat. Actually they may be #3 and #4 behind eating and drinking them lol We are both lucky to be in Rochester, the craft beer scene here is VERY good. You get out and about to sample the breweries?

I don't do the home brew thing but know of a bunch of the Rochester folks who do and I know there are some local based FaceBook groups dedicated to that.

i haven't been to as many breweries as I would like but I have been to a few. There is a place in Canandaigua, Three Huskies, that makes amazing beer. There is not a lot to see there but the quality is amazing. I love the brew house at gene see. I need to go to Three Heads. CBs and Rohrbach are old favorites.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Posts: 48142
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
12/10/2017  4:39 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:I tell you what Crush, you hit on 2 of my favorite things: Craft beer and smoking meat. Actually they may be #3 and #4 behind eating and drinking them lol We are both lucky to be in Rochester, the craft beer scene here is VERY good. You get out and about to sample the breweries?

I don't do the home brew thing but know of a bunch of the Rochester folks who do and I know there are some local based FaceBook groups dedicated to that.

i haven't been to as many breweries as I would like but I have been to a few. There is a place in Canandaigua, Three Huskies, that makes amazing beer. There is not a lot to see there but the quality is amazing. I love the brew house at gene see. I need to go to Three Heads. CBs and Rohrbach are old favorites.

Hear you on Genesee, their new beers have been AMAZING. And I assume you've been to their downstairs tasting room? $3 for a flight of 4 or 5 with all money going to charity, only can get 1 flight. Food pretty darn good too.

I'm very close to Genesee and 3Heads, although I don't care for what 3Heads offers. TripHammer in Fairport is excellent, Iron Tug, Rohrach an old fav of course. K2 opened in Webster recently and I've heard good things.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Posts: 58055
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
12/10/2017  5:09 PM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:I tell you what Crush, you hit on 2 of my favorite things: Craft beer and smoking meat. Actually they may be #3 and #4 behind eating and drinking them lol We are both lucky to be in Rochester, the craft beer scene here is VERY good. You get out and about to sample the breweries?

I don't do the home brew thing but know of a bunch of the Rochester folks who do and I know there are some local based FaceBook groups dedicated to that.

i haven't been to as many breweries as I would like but I have been to a few. There is a place in Canandaigua, Three Huskies, that makes amazing beer. There is not a lot to see there but the quality is amazing. I love the brew house at gene see. I need to go to Three Heads. CBs and Rohrbach are old favorites.

Hear you on Genesee, their new beers have been AMAZING. And I assume you've been to their downstairs tasting room? $3 for a flight of 4 or 5 with all money going to charity, only can get 1 flight. Food pretty darn good too.

I'm very close to Genesee and 3Heads, although I don't care for what 3Heads offers. TripHammer in Fairport is excellent, Iron Tug, Rohrach an old fav of course. K2 opened in Webster recently and I've heard good things.

I used to live on Atlantic but the breweries weren't there then. The best neighborhood place was Carrols for Guinness.
I live the flights at Genesee and I agree that their beers have been really good.
Is Triphammer on the canal?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Posts: 48142
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
12/10/2017  5:47 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:I tell you what Crush, you hit on 2 of my favorite things: Craft beer and smoking meat. Actually they may be #3 and #4 behind eating and drinking them lol We are both lucky to be in Rochester, the craft beer scene here is VERY good. You get out and about to sample the breweries?

I don't do the home brew thing but know of a bunch of the Rochester folks who do and I know there are some local based FaceBook groups dedicated to that.

i haven't been to as many breweries as I would like but I have been to a few. There is a place in Canandaigua, Three Huskies, that makes amazing beer. There is not a lot to see there but the quality is amazing. I love the brew house at gene see. I need to go to Three Heads. CBs and Rohrbach are old favorites.

Hear you on Genesee, their new beers have been AMAZING. And I assume you've been to their downstairs tasting room? $3 for a flight of 4 or 5 with all money going to charity, only can get 1 flight. Food pretty darn good too.

I'm very close to Genesee and 3Heads, although I don't care for what 3Heads offers. TripHammer in Fairport is excellent, Iron Tug, Rohrach an old fav of course. K2 opened in Webster recently and I've heard good things.

I used to live on Atlantic but the breweries weren't there then. The best neighborhood place was Carrols for Guinness.
I live the flights at Genesee and I agree that their beers have been really good.
Is Triphammer on the canal?

Walkable distance from canal, if I have my geography correct. New within the last 2 years. Couple of excellent IPAs, very good coffee porter that is seasonal.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Posts: 56946
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
12/20/2017  12:21 PM
Funny stuff!!!
Up until 4 years ago I had an financial interest in a company that makes commercial smokers for large food processors. We have a test kitchen with a small unit at our disposal to use anytime. We control temp and humidity and use real wood for smoke. We cold smoke cheese and Tofu and fish, as well as slow hot smoke chicken and the oh so yummy porks, ribs and briskets!!! Salmon is my favorite! Since we still have access to the kitchen. When done right nothing like it!!! As for beer, its a great time to be alive and like good beer. North Carolina is a top state for micro breweries. We are swimming with regional offerings!!!! my love for Irish beer still rules my buds!!! Took a trip to Ireland and visted Guiness and Smithwicks about 6 years ago and fell in love with all kind of offerings.
If your in a proper Irish Pub I implore you to try "KilKenny Irish Cream". Best beer I have ever tasted in my life!
You don't show a fool a job half done!
CrushAlot
Posts: 58055
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
12/22/2017  10:54 PM
Nalod wrote:Funny stuff!!!
Up until 4 years ago I had an financial interest in a company that makes commercial smokers for large food processors. We have a test kitchen with a small unit at our disposal to use anytime. We control temp and humidity and use real wood for smoke. We cold smoke cheese and Tofu and fish, as well as slow hot smoke chicken and the oh so yummy porks, ribs and briskets!!! Salmon is my favorite! Since we still have access to the kitchen. When done right nothing like it!!! As for beer, its a great time to be alive and like good beer. North Carolina is a top state for micro breweries. We are swimming with regional offerings!!!! my love for Irish beer still rules my buds!!! Took a trip to Ireland and visted Guiness and Smithwicks about 6 years ago and fell in love with all kind of offerings.
If your in a proper Irish Pub I implore you to try "KilKenny Irish Cream". Best beer I have ever tasted in my life!
Nice. My wife is a Scottish immigrant and her mother is from Ireland. Lots of family we could stay with if we make it back over.
Might be going with my son and brother in laws to the Wee Heavy tapping party at CBs next week.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
Posts: 58055
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
12/28/2017  7:41 PM
My brother in law and I both were given gift cards to Irish Mafia Brewery in Bloomfield. We went this afternoon and it was awesome. The beer was very good. They only brew four beers at this point but they have local favorites like 3hds, rorhbach, warhorse, and others. Flights were $7 and the poor was heavy. We ate an appetizer, bought a growler and also bought four packs of their ipa which was discounted. My brother in law was over charged for the ipa 4 packs and they gave him an additional case of ipa. WTF. He didn't leave any with me but it was a great time. Worth your time stopping. It is at Toomey's Corner on 5 &20 right by Nedlow brewery.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Posts: 48142
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
12/29/2017  11:10 AM
CrushAlot wrote:My brother in law and I both were given gift cards to Irish Mafia Brewery in Bloomfield. We went this afternoon and it was awesome. The beer was very good. They only brew four beers at this point but they have local favorites like 3hds, rorhbach, warhorse, and others. Flights were $7 and the poor was heavy. We ate an appetizer, bought a growler and also bought four packs of their ipa which was discounted. My brother in law was over charged for the ipa 4 packs and they gave him an additional case of ipa. WTF. He didn't leave any with me but it was a great time. Worth your time stopping. It is at Toomey's Corner on 5 &20 right by Nedlow brewery.

Awesome. Let me know if you hit any of the breweries nearer the city, we'll join you!

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Posts: 58055
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
12/29/2017  12:21 PM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:My brother in law and I both were given gift cards to Irish Mafia Brewery in Bloomfield. We went this afternoon and it was awesome. The beer was very good. They only brew four beers at this point but they have local favorites like 3hds, rorhbach, warhorse, and others. Flights were $7 and the poor was heavy. We ate an appetizer, bought a growler and also bought four packs of their ipa which was discounted. My brother in law was over charged for the ipa 4 packs and they gave him an additional case of ipa. WTF. He didn't leave any with me but it was a great time. Worth your time stopping. It is at Toomey's Corner on 5 &20 right by Nedlow brewery.

Awesome. Let me know if you hit any of the breweries nearer the city, we'll join you!

That would be awesome. I really want to visit Los Burros? and 3hds at some point.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
Posts: 58055
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
1/18/2019  6:27 PM
Southtown Beverage in Henrietta has cases of Grapefruit Sculpin IPA for 21.99. They have 2 pallets of it. It is usually around $12 a six pack. Get some before the storm.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Posts: 48142
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
1/18/2019  6:38 PM
Nice, thanks

CrushAlot wrote:Southtown Beverage in Henrietta has cases of Grapefruit Sculpin IPA for 21.99. They have 2 pallets of it. It is usually around $12 a six pack. Get some before the storm.

Just make sure it’s not too old

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
H1AND1
Posts: 21744
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 9/9/2013
Member: #5648

2/1/2019  10:46 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Southtown Beverage in Henrietta has cases of Grapefruit Sculpin IPA for 21.99. They have 2 pallets of it. It is usually around $12 a six pack. Get some before the storm.

I generally am not a huge fan of fruit-y beer but Grapefruit Sculpin is damn good.

SupremeCommander
Posts: 32479
Alba Posts: 35
Joined: 4/28/2006
Member: #1127

2/5/2019  4:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/5/2019  4:53 PM
what a fantastic thread

I do not homebrew, but they are all over the place in Montgomery County Maryland now. I know all the spots if anyone is ever around here and wants good beer. My wife knows how to brew, started studying bio systems engineering because of her interest in beer

As for smoking, right now I just use a Weber charcoal grill and offset on that. I used to have a custom fabricated double oil drum smoker like this:

I do have my eye on a Weber Smokey Mountain. Just goes hand in hand with current setup. But I have experimented with the process in all mediums. For example, if you guys ever want to have pulled pork, just get a slow cooker, fill the bottom with thick onion slices (rings), and pour a can of Dr Pepper in it and do that low and slow.

Cartman718 said: Is Fiz going to write Zion on the board during the timeout
SupremeCommander
Posts: 32479
Alba Posts: 35
Joined: 4/28/2006
Member: #1127

2/5/2019  4:52 PM
H1AND1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Southtown Beverage in Henrietta has cases of Grapefruit Sculpin IPA for 21.99. They have 2 pallets of it. It is usually around $12 a six pack. Get some before the storm.

I generally am not a huge fan of fruit-y beer but Grapefruit Sculpin is damn good.

+1

If you like that, try Strawberry Letter #23 by DuClaw

It is a sour strawberry IPA. I love sours but understand a lot don't because it doesn't always taste like beer. #23 does taste like beer the same way Sculpin Grapefruit tastes like beer

Cartman718 said: Is Fiz going to write Zion on the board during the timeout
martin
Posts: 48142
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
2/5/2019  4:58 PM
Crush, you been to Mortalis yet? Top of the line beer over there
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Posts: 58055
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
2/9/2019  7:01 PM
martin wrote:Crush, you been to Mortalis yet? Top of the line beer over there

Wow. Hadn’t checked in on this thread for awhile. I just went there for the first time tonight. A friend of mine has been raving about Mortalis and we finally met up there. That place is amazing. One of the best that I have ever been to. I had an amazing stout that looked like a pale ale and several other beers that I was sure I wouldn’t like but loved. Definitely going back. I was disappointed they didn’t have growlers.
I
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Posts: 48142
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
2/14/2019  10:06 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:Crush, you been to Mortalis yet? Top of the line beer over there

Wow. Hadn’t checked in on this thread for awhile. I just went there for the first time tonight. A friend of mine has been raving about Mortalis and we finally met up there. That place is amazing. One of the best that I have ever been to. I had an amazing stout that looked like a pale ale and several other beers that I was sure I wouldn’t like but loved. Definitely going back. I was disappointed they didn’t have growlers.

Their beer sells out. And they do have AMAZING beers. Icarus with Golden Grahams? I think that's the beer you had? It's a White Stout.

I am sure you know by now but crowlers only on Thursdays and Sundays, and you need to get there before opening or they run out, limited crowlers for sale.

It's a bit of marketing and also a bit of ... they just can't keep up with demand.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Smoking meat, craft beer, home brew thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.