[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Give Me Your Ntilikina Evaluation
Author Thread
fin89
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4196

12/9/2017  11:05 AM
So we've seen Frank play 20 games thus far in the NBA. I wanted to ask for your take on the rook, i'll give mine. I really feel like point guard is the toughest position to transition to in the NBA. So, it is really difficult to project how these players might turn out. Frank has not really improved much from the start of the season until now and teams are adjusting on defense to take advantage of his lack of offensive production. Aside from picking up too many fouls, I'm encouraged by his defense and believe this to be his main asset as a player. His passing is difficult to judge as his offensive woes makes it difficult to create opportunities. Frank also seems to struggle driving to the hoop which requires a good deal of instinct as well as practice. I'm hopeful Frank can develop into a solid defensive player with average offensive production. I don't believe he'll be able to really contribute the way we want until he becomes a legitimate threat on offense to keep defenses honest. Probably won't be until year three that we know exactly what we got.
AUTOADVERT
JesseDark
Member: #467
12/9/2017  11:14 AM
At this point he reminds me of Charlie Ward. Still room for growth.
Bring back dee-fense
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/9/2017  11:32 AM
There's no perfect comp out there but he looks the part of a good nba pg. I think he can be a middle if the pack starter in the league. He will be among the league leaders in steals soon enough and should be an all nba defensive player in his best years. He will grow into an adequate offensive player. It will be important to have a change of pace playmaker behind him but I've seen enough to know he should develop into a good starting guard.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/9/2017  11:36 AM
a work in progress.
I don' know how anyone can predict his upside.
Even Magic didn't how good Olidipo would be. Few years in he gets better. Away from Westbrook, more growth.
Charlie Ward? damn. Kid is 19.
awe1028
Member: #2780

12/9/2017  5:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/9/2017  6:21 PM
My evaluation of Frank: He has been everything I expected him to be based on his scouting reports.

Strengths
Coming into the draft Frank was said to have 2 strengths: Defensive potential and the ability to run on offense. Through the first 25 games he has shown that as a rookie at age 19 he is already one of the best defensive players in the NBA. With regards to running an offensive, though he could stand to improve he has shown he is already NBA competent in that area.

Weaknesses
Frank's weaknesses were supposed to be a loose handles, dribble penetration and breaking down the defense, reluctance shooting the ball and simply being more consistent with the jumper when he did decide to shoot. So far these have been reflected in his play.

Conclusion
Over the last few games Frank has made a concerted effort to be more aggressive shooting and breaking down the defense and IMHO has shown some improvement. He still has to be more consistent with the jumper and work on his handles but he trending in the right direction and at 19 he has time on his side. Unlike some who are ready to jump ship on Frank after only 25 games I actually see a player with still plenty of upside. Fortunately, Perry and Honacek see that same upside too.

Look at that post up by Frank in the Orlando game he had not shown that before:

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

12/9/2017  5:42 PM
Nalod wrote:a work in progress.
I don' know how anyone can predict his upside.
Even Magic didn't how good Olidipo would be. Few years in he gets better. Away from Westbrook, more growth.
Charlie Ward? damn. Kid is 19.

just about sums it up

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
nyk2017
Member: #7538

12/10/2017  12:57 AM
I really think that we wont be able to judge him until year 3 in the league. This year is all about experience. Next year there will be significant set backs, but year 3 he should start to put it together. I was dissapointed that he did not finish the game today. Should have been out there in the final 6 minutes.
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/10/2017  8:10 AM
Nice game from Frank though. One of his best of the season. Really good crisp passing. Saw some dribble penetration. Looked like a starting level NBA point guard. He just has to learn the NBA game from that position. I believe in his skill and talent.

I think he's going to be a 10 point 6 assists 2 steals type of starter in 2 years. Better than that, I don't know depends on how much work he puts in. For sure I think he's a starter in this league. He's a good culture guy and teammate. He will move the ball. He will play a low usage game from that spot. You want players like this around KP and Timmy. What remains to be seen is if he'll be a 10 point guy or a 15 points a night guy or even 20. That depends a lot on how much he improves his shooting from mid-range (he will have that shot alot) and his drives to the basket.

I'm fully behind this kid. Last night's game the only positive from a loss against a bad Bulls team is that Frank looked like our second best player easily.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/10/2017  8:56 AM
Good game last nite for Frank. Like the attempts. That has to come before the results.
I like that we are letting him play. few bad turnovers. Progress is made when you don’t repeat the same mistakes but with additional attempts he’ll make new ones.
I also like we are playing Dotson!!
This is a new era.
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
12/10/2017  9:12 AM
i think one day he will post double digits in steals. Maybe even a triple double with steals, pts and assists
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Ira
Member: #91
12/10/2017  9:50 AM
He's already a very good defender and makes some very good passes. He needs to cut down turnovers and put more points on the board.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

12/10/2017  10:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2017  10:17 AM
fin89 wrote:So we've seen Frank play 20 games thus far in the NBA. I wanted to ask for your take on the rook, i'll give mine. I really feel like point guard is the toughest position to transition to in the NBA. So, it is really difficult to project how these players might turn out. Frank has not really improved much from the start of the season until now and teams are adjusting on defense to take advantage of his lack of offensive production. Aside from picking up too many fouls, I'm encouraged by his defense and believe this to be his main asset as a player. His passing is difficult to judge as his offensive woes makes it difficult to create opportunities. Frank also seems to struggle driving to the hoop which requires a good deal of instinct as well as practice. I'm hopeful Frank can develop into a solid defensive player with average offensive production. I don't believe he'll be able to really contribute the way we want until he becomes a legitimate threat on offense to keep defenses honest. Probably won't be until year three that we know exactly what we got.

He looks like what I thought he'd be a backup that can defend both guard spots with little offensive potential. Not enough value for the 8th pick but will be a legit rotation player. The problem is he isn't a difference maker we need a lot more talent on this team

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
12/10/2017  12:03 PM
If Frank could score better he'd be talked about like all the other rookies. Since he's defense first, he's not valued as much. This team certainly needs defense in the backcourt and Frank fills that area decently. He's showing a willingness to score, drive etc. Not bad for the 19 year old now playing a mans game.
Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
12/10/2017  12:17 PM
He’s making progress in all the areas we’ve been talking about. Dribble penetration, shooting more and more accurately, less fouls. Rookies in the league struggle mightily with two things, turnovers and fouls. The more experience he has he’ll get those under control. I think he should be starting by the end of the season, go into the offseason with that under his belt and have a killer pro style fitness regimen to fully unlock his physical potential. I think we are lucky to have him and our future is very bright with he KP and THJ.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/10/2017  12:20 PM
JesseDark wrote:At this point he reminds me of Charlie Ward. Still room for growth.

What I liked about Charlie Ward was that he was steady, hard to knock him off his stride. Frank isnt there yet. Believe his court vision, no look passes, threading the needle is already looking better than Ward.

Was another sport, but Ward won a Heisman in part for his decision making, and Frank already looks like he will be better in that dept. That is if he can consistently show an all around game.

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
12/10/2017  12:28 PM
I think he's met expectations. He was projected to be a bit of a project and defeinetly is. Defense is good. 1st year PGs usually don't amaze anyway. Stay the course.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/10/2017  12:36 PM
It's all about breaking out of his shell. There are times we wonder why he didn't just shoot, pass, drive... why did he pick up his dribble... stuff like that. The kid could easily reach that 14pt, 7 assist a game bench mark the average NBA point guard hovers around. It's not like he has to learn the position. It's all about opening up his game and just playing without trying to be perfect
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/10/2017  1:28 PM
awe1028 wrote:My evaluation of Frank: He has been everything I expected him to be based on his scouting reports.

Strengths
Coming into the draft Frank was said to have 2 strengths: Defensive potential and the ability to run on offense. Through the first 25 games he has shown that as a rookie at age 19 he is already one of the best defensive players in the NBA. With regards to running an offensive, though he could stand to improve he has shown he is already NBA competent in that area.

Weaknesses
Frank's weaknesses were supposed to be a loose handles, dribble penetration and breaking down the defense, reluctance shooting the ball and simply being more consistent with the jumper when he did decide to shoot. So far these have been reflected in his play.

Conclusion
Over the last few games Frank has made a concerted effort to be more aggressive shooting and breaking down the defense and IMHO has shown some improvement. He still has to be more consistent with the jumper and work on his handles but he trending in the right direction and at 19 he has time on his side. Unlike some who are ready to jump ship on Frank after only 25 games I actually see a player with still plenty of upside. Fortunately, Perry and Honacek see that same upside too.

Look at that post up by Frank in the Orlando game he had not shown that before:

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/937430323528429569

I agree. As for the post, I've seen try to back down guys before and I recall that he did try a similar back to the basket move against Shabazz Napier versus Portland. Napier was able to hold his ground and Frank shot a brick. My main observation is that Frank just needs to get a little stronger, especially in the lower body. Not a surprise. I was looking at Jrue Holidays rookie year #s, because I see some similarities with him and Frank. One thing that stuck out is that Holiday was already 200lbs coming into his rookie year. Frank was listed anywhere 180 to 190.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
12/10/2017  2:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2017  2:32 PM
As others have said, he just needs to gain experience and get stronger. His shot is solid and he just needs to gain confidence in it. He has shown he can penetrate and as he gains strength, I think he will be far more effective. Even his defense will improve greatly with experience and added strength and his defense is solid already. He has a lot of work to do, but I see no reason this kid will not turn into a solid staring caliber point guard.
Trust the Process
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/10/2017  2:55 PM
EnySpree wrote:It's all about breaking out of his shell. There are times we wonder why he didn't just shoot, pass, drive... why did he pick up his dribble... stuff like that. The kid could easily reach that 14pt, 7 assist a game bench mark the average NBA point guard hovers around. It's not like he has to learn the position. It's all about opening up his game and just playing without trying to be perfect

I agree. With starters minutes and increased shot attempts he’s going to be just fine. We have to remember his age in all of this. A kid like Donovan Mitchell is not only more aggressive but a couple of years older. Once Frank develops a bit more physically and mentally I expect he’s going to be a handful for teams to deal with.

He looks like he’s going to get a LOT bigger as he fills out and I suspect he’ll start bullying PG’s. He may not blow past them but rather get them on his hip and power to the hoop. I think because he lacks that strength and weight now he’s less inclined to seek contact.

Give Me Your Ntilikina Evaluation

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy