[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Ntilikina speaks
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
12/7/2017  8:09 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ntilikina-hopes-return-all-around-game-displayed-earlier-article-1.3684516

Frank Ntilikina encouragingly ranked second in the NBA in steals through mid-November to start his rookie season, including six swipes on the eye-opening night he engaged in a heated shoving match with LeBron James in a home loss to the Cavaliers.

The rookie point guard hadn't been nearly as active on the defensive end recently, however, going seven straight games without registering a steal before notching three during Wednesday's victory over Memphis at the Garden.

With no more than three assists in any of his past dozen appearances, the 19-year-old out of France acknowledges he has gotten away from the all-around game he initially had displayed to kick off his career.

"Yeah, maybe. I was focusing on defense, but not having that much steals, so yeah, (Wednesday) was a good game, I had three and that's always a good start for the future," Ntilikina said Thursday night before a meet-and-greet with fans at Lord & Taylor on Fifth Ave. "The adjustment is getting better. For rookies, it's always difficult to get into a new system, and for an international player, more.

"I love being here and I've worked a lot on my game and I'm learning a lot of things, how to be a professional, how to take care of my body, the style of playing. I've learned a lot."

The Knicks (12-12) will return to practice on Friday as they prepare to continue a stretch of seven consecutive games against teams with losing records (53-110 combined entering Thursday's action) on Saturday at NBA-worst Chicago (3-20).

Ntilikina missed one game last week with a sore ankle - which he claims is "a lot better now" -- and he admits he's still adjusting to the taxing schedule.

"Surprise me, not really, but maybe the number of games, it's really different from what I've been going through (in Europe)," Ntilikina said. "You just have to get used to it. But I love it. I'm playing basketball mostly every day; it's what I've been dreaming about since I'm a kid.

"I just have to work on my body, treat your body the right way to be ready for these games. It's just getting used to it."

In that regard, Ntilikina believes that veteran point guard Jarrett Jack, who posted 10 points and 10 assists Wednesday against the Grizzlies, has served as the ideal mentor during his introduction to the NBA.

"Jarrett has been here to help me every day in practice and during games, he's been talking to me a lot, giving me a lot of advice on how he played his career," said Ntilikina, the No. 8 overall pick in last June's draft. "He's thinking he can help me and I'm really thankful for having him here."

The Knicks remain without starting shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr. (leg), but Kristaps Porzingis returned Wednesday after essentially missing three games with an ankle injury/illness.

"We just do what we have to do. With that second unit, we know we have a lot of responsibilities," said Ntilikina, who noted his parents soon will be coming to New York from France for Christmas. "Tim is not here and KP missed some games, so we know we have to play harder and play more together, do more effort than usually. We'll keep doing it and try to get more wins."

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/9/2017  8:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/9/2017  8:53 AM
https://nypost.com/2017/12/09/frank-ntilikina-is-confused-on-how-he-can-best-help-knicks/

Frank Ntilikina can impact a game in several ways, but right now the rookie doesn’t know how he should.

Following a promising start to the season, the 19-year-old point guard’s production has slipped in nearly every category. Through 21 games, Ntilikina ranks second to last on the team in field-goal percentage (33.6), and since registering 29 assists in a four-game span in early November, he has averaged 1.4 assists over the past 15 games.

His much-lauded defense has suffered as well, with the Frenchman recording three steals in the past eight games, after averaging 2.1 steals through his first 12 games.

“One of the things early was he was just looking to pass. Then we’ve tried to talk to him about being a little more aggressive, and trying to really move the ball downhill on these guys, and then I think he was maybe thinking shoot it and score,” coach Jeff Hornacek said. “I thought last game, the practice before that, he’s done a nice job of balancing that. Sometimes he’ll attack. Sometimes he’s looking to pass. As a young person in this league you’re trying to figure that out, ‘When are my opportunities to really attack? When is it just to make a pass?’

“I think he’s learning every day and he’ll just continue to grow that way.”
What Hornacek saw at the start of the season means much more to him than the current slump.

“I think he’s what we expected, and he’s gonna get better and better,” Hornacek said. “We’re almost through the league once, where we’ve played every team, and I’ve seen it through other rookies, that first time around it’s difficult if you don’t know these players. … Frank’s a smart player, he’s gonna figure that out and get better and better.”

Ntilikina speaks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy