OT: Kobe's toast....
Author Thread
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
9/2/2004  11:34 AM
Posted by TMS:

i'm sure it was part of the deal...like i said, if i'm not guilty of a charge, i don't strike no deal...i want my name exhonerated entirely & i might even pursue reverse charges against her for character defamation & mental anguish.

I believe that once the civil suit was filed it pretty much exonerated Kobe. This whole fiasco became about money and not justice.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/2/2004  11:48 AM
Posted by nyballer:
Posted by TMS:

i'm sure it was part of the deal...like i said, if i'm not guilty of a charge, i don't strike no deal...i want my name exhonerated entirely & i might even pursue reverse charges against her for character defamation & mental anguish.
the problem is, with a charge like this, it's hard to prove your innocence. If it was just rough sex like Kobe said, then it's his word against hers. plus he probably realized there was a good hcance hed go to jail 4 years to LIFE - meaning his entrie life is ruined. would i rather pay 4 million dollars out of my 130+ million contract and issue an apology? yeahi definitely would. it's just a safer way out.

the opposite is true imo...i think it's harder to prove the person's guilt if it's a he said, she said situation...Kobe just didn't want to take the chance that some evidence would be made public that would stain his image even further...i doubt very much he would have been convicted of rape even if she proceeded w/the testimony...but he couldn't take that chance because obviously there was some damning evidence in existance that he was afraid of...& she sold out her case to make a huge amount of cash...both of them are despicable in my view...what a waste of tax payer's time & attention...Kobe should have just hired a $100 hooker & had anal w/her...it would have been alot cheaper.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/2/2004  11:54 AM
Actually, wealthy individuals settle civil cases very often when they've done nothing wrong simply because the settlement fee (plus the costs of any harm to your reputation) are substantially lower than the legal fees in a civil case. Maybe he's settling just to save a lot of time, money, and trouble, which is why most civil court cases are settled (and some sort of apology or expression of remorse with no admission of any guilt--like Kobe's statement--is always given). There's really nothing here that deviates from a typical settlement in a civil court case (where the defendent might actually be innocent or guilty).

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 09/02/2004 12:00:34]
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/2/2004  12:16 PM
a statement of remorse for the situation is not the same as admitting that he now understands why the woman might have felt the sex was not consensual...that is an indirect admission of guilt...he could have easily said something like:

"It is unfortunate that this situation had to be the cause of so much anguish & trauma for both of us & our families, but it is my wish that we can both move on from this & put this situation behind us. I want to apologize to my wife & family for having to undergo this ordeal, & to the citizens of Eagle County for being subjected to this ordeal & expense for the past year. I hope to be able to make amends to both my family & to my fans for the bad decision I made on that night."

That would not leave me thinking that he felt he did something wrong other than just cheating on his wife...but the way he phrased his statement basically says he's sorry to the girl who had to endure all this because of what he did to her...that's not a way to settle something like this out of court if you know you didn't do anything wrong.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
rojasmas
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #639
9/2/2004  11:23 PM
Mike Tyson is an exception to the rule as a rich, black, celebrity athlete. But boxers are looked upon as savages who are almost unhuman and participate in the most violent of sports. Add to this his history of thuggery and reported incidents of wife-beating, ie; Robin Givens. Rape was not only likely with him, but almost expected.
As for being black not being a benefit with a jury, how many black people on the OJ jury voted not guilty for OJ simply because they hated the LA police or wanted to pay back the LA police for the Rodney King verdict. Or didn't like Nicole Simpson for being a white woman who took one of their black men away.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
rojasmas
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #639
9/2/2004  11:36 PM
My point is not that being a rich, famous, black athlete is a benefit in front of a jury in general, only with black jurors. I thought that was obvious in my statement. And when a rich, celebrity, athlete like Kobe is accused of something by a white woman, the black juror is going to give Kobe the benefit of the doubt most of the time. Probably more so if that black juror is a black woman.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
OT: Kobe's toast....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy