[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Kobe's toast....
Author Thread
colorfl1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #731
Canada
9/1/2004  8:02 PM
You guys are looking at this all wrong. It is pretty obvious what went down here.

The prosecution is never going to prove the rape charge if the girl had intercourse with another partner right after the alleged assault. Woman who are raped do not have sexual relations right afterwards, especially considering physical and emotional trauma.

The girls' lawyers tried to have the evidence of her subsequent sexual activities kept out of court. Once they lost that motion, the girl was not going to go through this media circus knowing that there is no way she will win a conviction.

That is why she is going to drop the criminal rape charge, and go after him on the easier to prove and get financial compensation (which is what this is all about) civil suit.

[Edited by - colorfl1 on 09/01/2004 20:03:34]
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
9/1/2004  9:16 PM
ESPN's Roger Cossack reported the most she could get under Colorado law seems like $850,000. I'd imagine something will be settled out of court where she could make much more than that, becuase if that's the most she can get, it seems like this all wasn't worth it, now that her name is tainted for the rest of her life.
#Knickstaps
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
9/1/2004  9:21 PM
Kobe final court statement:
Text of Kobe Bryant's statement read in court by his attorney, Pamela Mackey:

"I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

"Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

"I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado."

http://allknicks.com
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/1/2004  9:22 PM
Kobe could easily have paid her something under the table to drop the charges...you never know what really happened...& to tell you the truth, i don't care anymore...this is going to be a gray cloud over both of these individuals for the rest of their lives imo.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
9/1/2004  9:27 PM
Posted by teslawlo:

Kobe final court statement:
Text of Kobe Bryant's statement read in court by his attorney, Pamela Mackey:

"I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

"Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

"I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado."

sounds to me like a compromise was reached here between Kobe & the accusor...i think by Kobe's tone, he's practically submitting to paying out a civil suit settlement...in exchange, i guess he got her to agree to drop the charges...what a fiasco!
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
rojasmas
Member: #639
9/1/2004  10:30 PM
There is no chance a celebrity athlete who is black is getting convicted in this country. End of story. You won't find 12 people who will convict him guilty or not. Cases in point, OJ Simpson and Jayson Williams. Yes I know Williams was found guilty of something but not the
reckless manslaughter or negligent homicide counts. OJ's blood was at the crime scene and Jayson Williams shot his driver and tried to cover it up. Some jurors are definitely dumb and definitely not color blind.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
9/2/2004  3:02 AM
justice is nothing more than theory when money is at stake.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
9/2/2004  7:36 AM
Or as a Crim Law professor once said: "You're presumed innocent until the money runs out."
TMS
USA
9/2/2004  8:19 AM
on another note, i don't know about you guys, but if someone had falsely accused ME of raping them, i wouldn't be issuing any apologies to her or her family...i'd be PISSED AS HELL that she dragged my name through the mud the way she did over the span of an entire year & caused my family so much stress & aggravation...yes, the act of adultery was Kobe's fault, & he has to deal w/that guilt & w/his wife's reaction to it, but if i had been accused of rape falsely, i wouldn't have issued a statement like that...this just sounds like Kobe wanted to avoid going to trial at any cost, & the accusor knew that it would have been almost impossible to get a conviction w/how the prosecution botched up this case up to this point, so both parties reached a deal that will likely lead to a large financial settlement in a civil trial...this doesn't admonish Kobe's guilt at all imo.
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
9/2/2004  10:13 AM
Posted by rojasmas:

There is no chance a celebrity athlete who is black is getting convicted in this country. End of story. You won't find 12 people who will convict him guilty or not. Cases in point, OJ Simpson and Jayson Williams. Yes I know Williams was found guilty of something but not the
reckless manslaughter or negligent homicide counts. OJ's blood was at the crime scene and Jayson Williams shot his driver and tried to cover it up. Some jurors are definitely dumb and definitely not color blind.
mike tyson?
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
9/2/2004  10:29 AM
There never really was a case since it was about money. Once the civil suit was brought to the courts. It became obvious that the woman involoved was about money and not about justice. She was ready to testify in the civil suit but not the asault case. In the end everyone is going to get what they want. The woman will get money, Kobe already got what he wants a big new contract, Shaq gone. Kobe's wife gets Half his money if they get divorced and a $4 million ring. A bad situation turned into a happy ending for all. Hurray beer.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/2/2004  10:34 AM
Posted by nyballer:
Posted by rojasmas:

mike tyson?
Exactly; and it's hard to argue that a defendent *benefits* from being black. Most studies find the exact opposite.
TMS
USA
9/2/2004  10:39 AM
it goes beyond the issue of color...it has to do w/the image these guys had going into their trials.

Kobe - good looking, well liked, well spoken, clean cut, married
Jayson Williams - ditto
OJ Simpson - ditto
Mike Tyson - perceived as a street thug that fits the stereotype of an angry black male to the T

who do you think wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt out of those 4?

[Edited by - TMS on 09/02/2004 10:40:23]
nyballer
USA
9/2/2004  10:48 AM
Posted by TMS:

it goes beyond the issue of color...it has to do w/the image these guys had going into their trials.

Kobe - good looking, well liked, well spoken, clean cut, married
Jayson Williams - ditto
OJ Simpson - ditto
Mike Tyson - perceived as a street thug that fits the stereotype of an angry black male to the T

who do you think wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt out of those 4?

[Edited by - TMS on 09/02/2004 10:40:23]
well i don't think ray lewis had a good image but he got his charge reduced to a misdemeanor in a deal with DA. if the accuser wouldnt testify and she had sex soon after the Kobe ordeal it's pretty hard to prove your case, even if there was blood.
TMS
USA
9/2/2004  11:00 AM
if you didn't rape someone & had consensual sex, you don't issue a public apology to her & her family & to the citizens of an entire city & agree to a financial settlement out of court either...Kobe was guilty of doing SOMETHING beyond just cheating on his wife as far as i'm concerned...no one will ever know...the 2 of them will have to deal w/what happened that night...i hope the money can hide the guilt & shame of it all for both of them.
nyballer
USA
9/2/2004  11:05 AM
Posted by TMS:

if you didn't rape someone & had consensual sex, you don't issue a public apology to her & her family & to the citizens of an entire city & agree to a financial settlement out of court either...Kobe was guilty of doing SOMETHING beyond just cheating on his wife as far as i'm concerned...no one will ever know...the 2 of them will have to deal w/what happened that night...i hope the money can hide the guilt & shame of it all for both of them.
I agree, reading the apology it seems like he is guilty. If he was so unsure of whether or not it was consensual he should never have had sex with her. In his apology he says "it appears we had different views on what happened". If i was wrongly accused of RAPE and the charges were dropped I doubt I would apologize and be so understanding - but he mightve done it because it is best for his career and his ad deals.
TMS
USA
9/2/2004  11:14 AM
maybe he can get some condom companies to hire him? or KY Jelly might be interested.

i can see it now:

Kobe: "Don't let what happened to me, happen to you. Make sure you're girl is well lubed. No one needs any stray blood stains to come back & haunt you."
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
9/2/2004  11:24 AM
Posted by TMS:

I agree with that but you can't leave it up to 12 people to decide your fate. He has the money for an out then take it. Because the jury system comes with flaws and perceptions it isn't 100% accurate.

As for the apology it was poorly written, who ever wrote it should get fired, because it make him look guilty at the sametime it denies guilt. I think that statement was part of the deal that went down.
TMS
USA
9/2/2004  11:30 AM
i'm sure it was part of the deal...like i said, if i'm not guilty of a charge, i don't strike no deal...i want my name exhonerated entirely & i might even pursue reverse charges against her for character defamation & mental anguish.
nyballer
USA
9/2/2004  11:34 AM
Posted by TMS:

i'm sure it was part of the deal...like i said, if i'm not guilty of a charge, i don't strike no deal...i want my name exhonerated entirely & i might even pursue reverse charges against her for character defamation & mental anguish.
the problem is, with a charge like this, it's hard to prove your innocence. If it was just rough sex like Kobe said, then it's his word against hers. plus he probably realized there was a good hcance hed go to jail 4 years to LIFE - meaning his entrie life is ruined. would i rather pay 4 million dollars out of my 130+ million contract and issue an apology? yeahi definitely would. it's just a safer way out.
OT: Kobe's toast....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy