[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Expectations in Miami
Author Thread
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
9/1/2004  6:06 AM
Just got back from vacation there, shmoozed to a lot of my friends there. They all say that while this years team might be better then last years cuz of the Big Diesel, theyre not talking about a championship right now.

They know what they had on the team last year, and the feeling i got was that while they are over the moon to pick up Shaq, they also think they lost too much to challenge for the Finals, at least this year.

Are we over-estimating Miami this year?

I personally think Shaq will get them to the second-round, but if he couldnt do it with Kobe, Payton, Malone etc. hows he going to do it with Wade and..... no sorry thats it.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
9/1/2004  8:31 AM
Here is my prediction. If Jordan returns and end up in Miami, they will win it all. If he stays retired, N.Y may have a chance to represent the East. However, it is going to be a battle. Cleveland will also be a force to recon with.

Posted by firefly:

Just got back from vacation there, shmoozed to a lot of my friends there. They all say that while this years team might be better then last years cuz of the Big Diesel, theyre not talking about a championship right now.

They know what they had on the team last year, and the feeling i got was that while they are over the moon to pick up Shaq, they also think they lost too much to challenge for the Finals, at least this year.

Are we over-estimating Miami this year?

I personally think Shaq will get them to the second-round, but if he couldnt do it with Kobe, Payton, Malone etc. hows he going to do it with Wade and..... no sorry thats it.
The true Knickabocker..........
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/1/2004  9:08 AM
Celts, Philly, Clev (lebron factor)miami, Atlanta, Detroit are all improved. Indy is the same, but still a power. Knicks of course are better.

Its all on paper.

Shaq is one very motivated puppy about now. Lakers were cooked with a distracted Kobe, hurt Malone, insulted Payton, and a talented, but young inexperienced bench.

Shaq is on a mission this year. This is not the bored out of shape big toe shaq. This is the "got somthing to prove and shove it up kobes arse Shaq". Eddies Jones is overpaid and underrated. He can put up numbers and with Odom and Butler gone, he will be called upon again to shoot. I would not write them off. IN fact, that team if it makes a move will be a 2nd half of the season player and could be dangerous in the playoffs.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
9/1/2004  9:59 AM
Shaq is looking very good compare to the last couple of seasons. I saw him at the MTV award and he looked in shape. I am predicting Miami to make a lot more noise than they did last season.
The true Knickabocker..........
raven
Member: #316
Canada
9/1/2004  11:25 AM
as they lost their first 10 games, I'm sure they can only do better this time.

I should change my sig into "Heat is overrated".
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/1/2004  1:05 PM
I agree with those who say that Eddie Jones is the X factor for Miami.He has the skills but isnt mentally tough.Shaq's leadership could help him get his act together or he can crumble under the pressure of playing with him again.If they do click the Heat could be trouble,if they dont I doubt they will get past the conference semis.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
9/1/2004  1:55 PM
Every year Miami finds a rookie that steps up last year it was Wade year before it was Butler. I think this year their first round pick will play a big role. I think Miami definitely is a top three team in the east. I think the they will get to the ECF this year.
firefly
United Kingdom
9/1/2004  2:01 PM
^
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
firefly
United Kingdom
9/1/2004  2:06 PM
at his age he's only going to be able to manage about 30-35 mins a night. that means that miami will have to contend with getting an a**whupping for about 15 minutes a game. can they handle that? I don't think so. At least in LA they could make sure that Malone was on for at least some of that time to make sure it wasn't one way traffic. I don't think Rasual Butler inspires the same confidence
firefly
United Kingdom
9/1/2004  2:09 PM
sorry about the above ruination. posting from my cellphone in the car and something must have screwed up
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/1/2004  2:14 PM
can you guys imagine if the Heat convince Karl Malone & Michael Jordan to join them in their quest for a title in South Beach? that would be 1 crazy team.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Vmart
USA
9/1/2004  2:15 PM
Posted by firefly:

at his age he's only going to be able to manage about 30-35 mins a night. that means that miami will have to contend with getting an a**whupping for about 15 minutes a game. can they handle that? I don't think so. At least in LA they could make sure that Malone was on for at least some of that time to make sure it wasn't one way traffic. I don't think Rasual Butler inspires the same confidence

Isn't Doleac on the heat team. Thats a pretty good backup for 10-15 minutes.
Vmart
USA
9/1/2004  2:16 PM
Posted by TMS:

can you guys imagine if the Heat convince Karl Malone & Michael Jordan to join them in their quest for a title in South Beach? that would be 1 crazy team.

Can you say retirement community.
TMS
USA
9/1/2004  2:37 PM
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by TMS:

Can you say retirement community.

that would still be a damn good team, no matter how old they may be:

C - Shaq / Doleac / Wang
PF - Malone / Allen / Haslem
SF - Jordan / Butler
SG - Jones / Person
PG - Wade / Dooling
IR - Jones / Wright / Beasley, Freije or Miralles
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/1/2004  2:41 PM
It though butler was traded to LA? A different butler?

Eddie is soft mentally? Funny, when ever a shooter is mentioned, they are labled soft! Thats cuz they can shoot!

Shooters are mentally soft in nature. They are streaky, so when the shot does not go, they are all messed up! Starks was a nut, but also streaky.
TMS
USA
9/1/2004  3:06 PM
Caron was traded...they still have Rasual Butler
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
9/1/2004  10:11 PM
all together....O V E R R A T E D ! just because shaq has a grudge (w/the lakers) does'nt necesarilly mean there going to rule the league.
they still only have 2 players and a has been. eddie jones plays in spurts, dwayne wade is still too inexperienced. he showed in the olimpics that he can be exposed now that he can't catch teams by surprise. teams will be playing him differently now that they know him. he has NO outside shot, not even midrange. don't get me wrong, he's a player, but has a long way to go. particularly if riley is playing him at point.
i personally think we'll rock there world now that we can actually run on a team.
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
9/1/2004  10:20 PM
Do you remember how good Shaq was two years ago? Every game was a possible 20, 20 and 5... It's legitimate to think that a team with D Wade, Shaq, Jones, Horry and junk can make it to the eastern conference finals. We're talking about the best player in the league.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/1/2004  10:35 PM
Posted by Mac:

Do you remember how good Shaq was two years ago? Every game was a possible 20, 20 and 5... It's legitimate to think that a team with D Wade, Shaq, Jones, Horry and junk can make it to the eastern conference finals. We're talking about the best player in the league.
I agree.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
9/1/2004  11:08 PM
horry?

that's pretty much what most of those players are, junk. haslem is probably the only player w/any real respectability on that squad, w/the exception of the three previosly mentioned. with that type of team and no depth, shaq would HAVE to go for 20/20/5 consistently. if wade's lucky he would maybe go for 18pts-5rebs, jones goes for 17/4, and shaq goes for (for arguements sake)25/12. ofcourse that's assuming the heat are still a running team w/shaq on the team. i seriuosly doubt shaq can get up and down w/these young guys, i mean he is 32. and for the record, jones is 33, and from what i remember did'nt get along w/shaq. that's the reason wade was exposed in the olimpics, he was forced to play in a half court set.
Expectations in Miami

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy