Member: #316
Canada
9/1/2004  3:13 AM
Miles Will Stay in Portland
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1871763
Published: August 31, 2004

Filed at 5:43 p.m. ET

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- The Portland Trail Blazers agreed to terms with restricted free agent Darius Miles on Tuesday.

Details of the contract were not immediately released. The Blazers have scheduled a news conference on Wednesday. (6yrs for 48M)

Miles was acquired by Portland last season in a trade with the Cleveland Cavaliers for guard Jeff McInnis and seldom-used center Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje.

Advertisement

The 6-foot-9 forward provided an instant boost to the Blazers both on the court and in the locker room.

He averaged 12.6 points, 4.6 rebounds and two assists a game in 42 games with the Blazers. He shot 52.6 percent from the field.

Miles was drafted by the Clippers with the third overall pick in the 2000 NBA draft out of East St. Louis High School in Illinois.

AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
9/1/2004  1:01 PM
Interestingly, Miles got a reported 6 year $48M contact....which averages to $8M a year.

NY signed Crawford to a 7 year $56M contract...also averaging $8M.

Similar ages and potential in the two.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/1/2004  1:18 PM
because of the way the contracts are structured Craw will make a little less each year, so Miles actually got the better deal (unless one of them is a bust). Both are good young talents w/ great upside. Crawford has shown more longer, while Miles essentially had a good 2nd half.. before that he was pretty much the same.

I think for that money I would rather have Crawford as we are in good shape w/ TT and his short contract.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/1/2004  1:38 PM

get a load'a that sick crossover!

[Edited by - TMS on 09/01/2004 13:38:43]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/1/2004  1:54 PM
they say only Iverson's is better if anyone's is. What I love about Crawford is he can rise and jam it. Plain and simple we need guys that can finish around the hoop. No more blocked shots... make a move that results in a dunk.

Should be fun
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/1/2004  2:57 PM
Posted by fishmike:

they say only Iverson's is better if anyone's is. What I love about Crawford is he can rise and jam it. Plain and simple we need guys that can finish around the hoop. No more blocked shots... make a move that results in a dunk.

Should be fun

I think he might be the quickest guard in the league not named Iverson.

Dude's handle is definately one of the best around.....He's definately a scorer though....His talent level is off the charts.

Let's thank Isiah that he went through all the trouble to get him.....
I can't even imagine what type of player he is gonna be once he starts to win more games.....

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TMS
USA
9/1/2004  3:13 PM

TJ Ford & Tony Parker might be an exception to that...Kirk Hinrich is deceptively quick too, as is White Chocolate...& of course, we can't forget the big 3 (Kidd, Marbury & Baron)
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/1/2004  3:50 PM
Posted by TMS:

TJ Ford & Tony Parker might be an exception to that...Kirk Hinrich is deceptively quick too, as is White Chocolate...& of course, we can't forget the big 3 (Kidd, Marbury & Baron)
Marbury and Iverson are the two quickest guards in the league. Crawfod is a lot quicker than Tony Parker. He has a lot more moves than tony parker and he is a better athelete than Tony Parker as well.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/1/2004  4:19 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by TMS:

Marbury and Iverson are the two quickest guards in the league. Crawfod is a lot quicker than Tony Parker. He has a lot more moves than tony parker and he is a better athelete than Tony Parker as well.

Jason Williams is similiar to Crawford in the way they move with the ball.

What separates Crawford from all the names mentioned in his height.

With all that is said Crawford has go to be the quickest player at 6'5".......With arms for days...
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
9/1/2004  4:41 PM
Posted by Andrew:

Interestingly, Miles got a reported 6 year $48M contact....which averages to $8M a year.

Actually I think Crawford's shown more in the NBA so far than Miles. Miles has been a 9 PPG player on bad teams who had one good month in Portland at 12 PPG. Crawford at least led his team in pts and assists (17/5). They both have nice potential and I'd love to have both on our roster, but at this point I think Crawford has shown more and is a better buy at $8 mil per season than Miles is.
TMS
USA
9/1/2004  5:17 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Andrew:

Actually I think Crawford's shown more in the NBA so far than Miles. Miles has been a 9 PPG player on bad teams who had one good month in Portland at 12 PPG. Crawford at least led his team in pts and assists (17/5). They both have nice potential and I'd love to have both on our roster, but at this point I think Crawford has shown more and is a better buy at $8 mil per season than Miles is.

i would have to agree w/that...plus the fact that Crawford plays PG as well as SG...he's more apt to create his own points than Miles, who is a good complementary player but i don't think he'll ever become a star player that can lead a team...both have good upsides, but i think Crawford is the better bargain.
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
9/2/2004  4:21 AM
ditto. The only great advantage liles could have is that he could become a very good defensive player if he comitted to. He's long and quick, very explosive. Could defend on 1-2-3. something craw's frame wwouldn't allow him to do.

but that's the only difference, and we're talking about potential. btw, i'm very satisfied with jamal signing with us, and would rather have him than miles.
Bonn1997
USA
9/2/2004  7:37 AM
Posted by raven:

ditto. The only great advantage liles could have is that he could become a very good defensive player if he comitted to. He's long and quick, very explosive. Could defend on 1-2-3. something craw's frame wwouldn't allow him to do.
They both have equally skinny frames and both IMO have the ability to become good defenders
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
9/2/2004  7:39 AM
I wonder if he had any comparable offers.
Bonn1997
USA
9/5/2004  7:32 AM
I think Portland spent a little too much on Miles, but if I were a Blazer fan, I'd simply be happy that they were willing to spend the money to keep such a talented young player.
Here's the opinion of one Cleveland sports writer (who saw him play with the Cavs)

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/basketball/nba/cleveland_cavaliers/9587182.htm

Did you see where Portland signed Darius Miles to a six-year, $48 million deal? Miles was better in Portland than with the Cavaliers, but in 42 games for the Trail Blazers, he averaged 12.6 points and 4.6 rebounds. He's basically a gifted athlete physically who is an average player, yet he's worth $48 million? Is this a great country or what? Furthermore, no one was seriously bidding against Portland for Miles.
Miles Will Stay in Portland

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy