[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The value of Courtney Lee
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/25/2017  10:29 AM
His value will never be higher than it is right now.

Is this a chance for us to sell at a high to get back a pick and cap space next year?

We play to win while we focus on rebuilding?

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/25/2017  10:42 AM
I think Courtney lee is invaluable. I think we just need to hold on to him. Trading him for a draft pick seems like taking 2 steps back. One of the cogs that make us go. We have to be very careful not to disrupt chemistry. We are building a solid foundation not playing Jenga

Dotson is ready though. I dont think we can play that game unless we want to make a move on a player like Paul George in the off season

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/25/2017  10:52 AM
Looking at the teams around the NBA and I don't see a move for him at the moment.

But I do agree that we have no length at SF between Hardaway jr, Dougie & Lance(who mostly plays backup PF). Moving Hardaway to SG and Dotson backing him up and plugging in a real SF with length would do wonders.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/25/2017  10:59 AM
I was thinking the same thing Briggs. Maybe add another PG, If Baker still isn't going to the rim when he gets back. That would be three PGs with the same condition. Thats crazy.

It all depends on the needs of contenders as the season goes on. Lee's age might make it hard to get a decent pick. If we could include sessions, that would be great.

newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

11/25/2017  7:30 PM
If we want to get the best return possible for any of our players then we have to wait until closer to the trade deadline when teams know what they need for their run but if we trade anyone this early in the season then don't expect to like the return unless a player on a team gets hurt that they know they have to replace asap.
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

11/25/2017  8:20 PM
BRIGGS wrote:His value will never be higher than it is right now.

Is this a chance for us to sell at a high to get back a pick and cap space next year?

Assuming we will have to take back equivalent salary in a C-Lee trade I would take a kid like Mo Harkless who would give us a 24 (25 in May) legit defensive SF to platoon with Dougie. Lee for Harkless works straight up, we save about $1.6M - they both have 3 years left.

I think Mo is similar to Doug in that he will play better offensively in an offense NOT dominated by 1 or 2 Stars.

LivingLegend

11/25/2017  8:24 PM
If we did grab a kid like Harlkless....we would be set at SF with Mo/Doug.....we could slot Dotson/Baker into the back-up SG slot and we might be able to look for another young PG in the draft to bolster our PG position with Frank. Add a long defensive 4 to back-up and/or play next to KP via FA and we have a nice young/deep team.
LivingLegend

11/25/2017  8:27 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Looking at the teams around the NBA and I don't see a move for him at the moment.

But I do agree that we have no length at SF between Hardaway jr, Dougie & Lance(who mostly plays backup PF). Moving Hardaway to SG and Dotson backing him up and plugging in a real SF with length would do wonders.

Both OKC and Portland could use him — OKC as a starting SG and Portland as either a SF (like we’ve been using him) or off the bench behind McCollum.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

11/25/2017  8:56 PM

Some people here said, back then, that the Knicks should try to trade Melo to the Celtics for Marcus Smart and a first round pick. And that the open cap space that Boston had would be used to absorb the bulk of Melo's contract.

What did the Celtics actually do with the cap space? Sign Gordon Hayward. Yes, I know he got hurt, but look at it right then and there, at that point, from a value standpoint

Get Melo and cap lock your roster

OR

Keep Smart, on a value rookie contract, keep that pick, to use in trade or to get another cheap and useful player, and get Hayward, who was long rumored to be headed to Boston no matter what.

Would anyone here want to trade Gordon Hayward, Marcus Smart and a first round pick for Melo if Melo was on another team?

Another team trading for Lee, as you propose, would lose the first round pick, take in a player in his clear decline phase and eat the back end two years of his decline phase, and then lose the opportunity cost of that 12 million for two offseasons and the value of said expiring contract this year to make a salary match.

VORP question arises ( Value Over League Average Replacement Player)

Can another team get 75 percent of what Lee would give them, at 15 percent of the cost. Either in cap or draft assets or any form of assets.

And with teams cap locked and more teams going into the tax zone in the next few offseasons, that 12 million could reap some pretty good bargains.

Would you want the Knicks to trade for Lee if the situations were reversed ( i.e. The Mirror Test)?

If not, then why would that non Knicks team?

You're like the Vernon Schillinger of trade scenarios. And the rest of the NBA are your Tobias Beechers. There was the one episode, right after they buried Luke Perry in the wall with bricks, where this guy got gum replacements and his gang kicked him out and then there was a guy with spoon.....

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/25/2017  11:24 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Some people here said, back then, that the Knicks should try to trade Melo to the Celtics for Marcus Smart and a first round pick. And that the open cap space that Boston had would be used to absorb the bulk of Melo's contract.

What did the Celtics actually do with the cap space? Sign Gordon Hayward. Yes, I know he got hurt, but look at it right then and there, at that point, from a value standpoint

OR

Keep Smart, on a value rookie contract, keep that pick, to use in trade or to get another cheap and useful player, and get Hayward, who was long rumored to be headed to Boston no matter what.

Would anyone here want to trade Gordon Hayward, Marcus Smart and a first round pick for Melo if Melo was on another team?

Another team trading for Lee, as you propose, would lose the first round pick, take in a player in his clear decline phase and eat the back end two years of his decline phase, and then lose the opportunity cost of that 12 million for two offseasons and the value of said expiring contract this year to make a salary match.

Can another team get 75 percent of what Lee would give them, at 15 percent of the cost. Either in cap or draft assets or any form of assets.

And with teams cap locked and more teams going into the tax zone in the next few offseasons, that 12 million could reap some pretty good bargains.

Would you want the Knicks to trade for Lee if the situations were reversed ( i.e. The Mirror Test)?

You're like the Vernon Schillinger of trade scenarios. And the rest of the NBA are your Tobias Beechers. There was the one episode, right after they buried Luke Perry in the wall with bricks, where this guy got gum replacements and his gang kicked him out and then there was a guy with spoon.....

I know TT-- all knick players have no value according to you.
I disagree-- I think lee represents a good value for a good team. The Knicks need a draft where they load up on really good solid mature efficient role players with starter upside. I mentioned a draft of mikal bridges jalen Brunson and bonzie colson. Were going to have a very decent 1 pick. Maybe Lee gets us Brunson and colson

RIP Crushalot😞
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

11/26/2017  1:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/26/2017  2:14 AM
Courtney Lee, Jarrett Jack and cash for Corey Joseph? Lee is a Indiana native and the Pacers seem concerned with winning-now. It makes sense for them from that perspective given their lack of floorspacers/two-way players. To incentivize the deal further, I might even take on Al Jefferson's expirer to save them $4 million or so this season.
NardDogNation

11/26/2017  1:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/26/2017  1:26 AM
The Bucks will be caplocked for the foreseeable future and I think they'd willing to take on long-term cash since free agency won't be an option. So how about sending Courtney Lee, Joakim Noah and cash in exchange for empty, short-term contracts? John Henson, Mirza Teletovic and Rashad Vaughn fit the bill and make enough combined money to make a deal work.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7jn9kvq

The Bucks get a veteran center to replace the departed Greg Monroe and some floor-spacing from Courtney Lee who could directly or indirectly supplement their bench depth. We would not get any value in return but the deal would save us close to $20 million in 2 years, with the possibility to clear another $10 million if we could also offload John Henson on someone. Given the current market, cap space will be at a premium, which could help us acquire more value than holding onto a Courtney Lee.

I might even include that Bulls' second rounder in exchange for Milwaukee's 2018 second rounder and a future conditional pick to make this type of deal work.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
11/26/2017  6:38 AM
EnySpree wrote:I think Courtney lee is invaluable. I think we just need to hold on to him. Trading him for a draft pick seems like taking 2 steps back. One of the cogs that make us go. We have to be very careful not to disrupt chemistry. We are building a solid foundation not playing Jenga

Dotson is ready though. I dont think we can play that game unless we want to make a move on a player like Paul George in the off season

Your barely above 500, play 16 of 20 on the road in late Dec to early feb and your concern is Courtney Lee making us go. Sure, hold on to him until he’s worthless. Please. Briggs again is correct. He’s valuable to a playoff team and stockpiling picks and being relieved of $11 million works for me. I mean what’s your objective ? Make the first round and he eliminated and secure the 18th pick? Is that your definition of success? Play Dotson.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
11/26/2017  6:46 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

OR

While Lee doesn’t provide the solid defense he did 2-3 years ago, he is still fundamentally solid, a veteran, professionally solid and shoots a very solid 3pt percentage. At $11mm (I believe that his take)he represents good value for a team making a run. I think using the mirror test (hard to do for Knick fans) he’s solid value.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

11/26/2017  8:51 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

OR

Teams that are trying to make the run in the playoffs..particular young teams that have not been staples in the playoffs care less about the opportunity cost of the moment related to cap space...there opportunity is to maximize their current assets into something of value for today's run....not tomorrow's season....they may see a clear path "this season" and push the chips to the middle of the table...ala Washington that did that a year or to ago trading a 1st rounder I believe at the deadline....those teams that feel they can make a run and are in the right position care less about next season if there is a chance this season....

The league is fluid and chances to get close to a chip for these types of teams are not promised...why care if you have a team with 2 or 3 high dollar players and you know you are going to the playoffs about a pick likely to be in the mid to low 20s...you worry less about the opportunity cost of investing cap space to make the run now not later....like someone said when Donnie was here throwing around 1st rounders for cap space...."cap space does not play any games"....not every team is in position to worry about tomorrow....teams that can win today will try to win today. Teams that can't position themselves for tomorrow.....

Lee is older, but is a two way player...he can drive and shoot....his D is good..his contract is good relative to his production...if he keeps playing like this around the deadline you can get something for him....but as someone mentioned on this board...you are playing Russian rouilette with team chemistry......

reub
Member: #6227

11/26/2017  12:25 PM
The Rockets announcers were lusting over how good it would be to have Lee on their team during the game last night.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/26/2017  12:25 PM
Vets are needed for rebuilding teams. He's the ideal vet presence here. I would love to keep him. Continue to start him until we find a long-term SF, then transition him off the bench alongside McDermott and company. Obviously if you can trade him for good value, it has to be considered, but no need to deal him just for cap relief. He earns his money and is a very useful player. Right now i see our long-term lineup as this.

C Kanter
PF Porzingis
SF TBD
SG Hardaway
PG Ntilikina
6th Lee
7th McDermott
8th Backup PG
9th Hernangomez
10th Dotson

We need a high level starting SF and a high level backup PG. Everything else should be developed in house for now.

Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
11/26/2017  1:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/26/2017  1:54 PM
Knixkik wrote:Vets are needed for rebuilding teams. He's the ideal vet presence here. I would love to keep him. Continue to start him until we find a long-term SF, then transition him off the bench alongside McDermott and company. Obviously if you can trade him for good value, it has to be considered, but no need to deal him just for cap relief. He earns his money and is a very useful player. Right now i see our long-term lineup as this.

C Kanter
PF Porzingis
SF TBD
SG Hardaway
PG Ntilikina
6th Lee
7th McDermott
8th Backup PG
9th Hernangomez
10th Dotson

We need a high level starting SF and a high level backup PG. Everything else should be developed in house for now.

How do you define vets? KOQ, Kanter, and Thomas are in their 6th, 7th, and 7th seasons. I like having vets but I want them to be part of the long-term picture. I agree not to trade him just for cap relief though. I want a younger player and/or pick(s).
NardDogNation

11/26/2017  1:54 PM
Paris907 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:I think Courtney lee is invaluable. I think we just need to hold on to him. Trading him for a draft pick seems like taking 2 steps back. One of the cogs that make us go. We have to be very careful not to disrupt chemistry. We are building a solid foundation not playing Jenga

Your barely above 500, play 16 of 20 on the road in late Dec to early feb and your concern is Courtney Lee making us go. Sure, hold on to him until he’s worthless. Please. Briggs again is correct. He’s valuable to a playoff team and stockpiling picks and being relieved of $11 million works for me. I mean what’s your objective ? Make the first round and he eliminated and secure the 18th pick? Is that your definition of success? Play Dotson.

Exactly!

Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
11/26/2017  1:56 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Paris907 wrote:

Exactly!

You have to also factor in that we'll be more appealing to FAs if we make the playoffs, though.
The value of Courtney Lee

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy