[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is it too early to say that Perry won the Melo Trade?!?
Author Thread
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/22/2017  11:18 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
Vmart wrote:You know what was funny to watch on First Take Steven A pleading to Melo to play better. “I need you to”. I thought that was Hilarious.

He doesn't see the connection still.
Last years Knicks were playing just like OKC is now.
Steven was obsessed with blaming Phil.
Now OKC is playing eerily similar to the Knicks.

There's only one consistency in the Knicks of last year and the Thunder of this year.

Also I do expect the Thunder to make the playoffs and be better than last years Knicks.
For one they have more talent than we did last year.
However I can't believe some people still can't see the connection.

Steven A hole never got it. He had an all time winning person telling him to do something that he gets paid 25 million to do and he never did it. Now Steven A hole think he gonna listen to him.

Again, The thunders slow start has very little to do with Melo and PG13, and everything to do with the cast that's supporting their big 3. They also play in the West where all of the playoff teams are stacked.

Every, player, coach, and analyst in the NBA this year, have recognize that since the knicks stop running the triangle, it's been a pleasure to watch..So yeah, phil will always be the main reason we were losing with out a fraction of a doubt.

Why not just look at melo's knick record without phil to make a conclusion

Because that knick record is the direct result of JKidd! Rashweed! Camby! FluTysonMrsHibbert! JR did it! All 5 at once!

put that same roster under the triangle regime, and we win 30 games

Once again you guys don’t know what your talking about. If you guys recall Nixluva put up stats that the Knicks rarely ran triangle. But you won’t acknowledge it. You won’t look at Melo’s inefficiency but hey efficiency never won anything. Hey he isn’t the problem. Melo will never be the problem.

AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/22/2017  11:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/22/2017  11:29 AM
Vmart wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
Vmart wrote:You know what was funny to watch on First Take Steven A pleading to Melo to play better. “I need you to”. I thought that was Hilarious.

There's only one consistency in the Knicks of last year and the Thunder of this year.

Also I do expect the Thunder to make the playoffs and be better than last years Knicks.

Steven A hole never got it. He had an all time winning person telling him to do something that he gets paid 25 million to do and he never did it. Now Steven A hole think he gonna listen to him.

Again, The thunders slow start has very little to do with Melo and PG13, and everything to do with the cast that's supporting their big 3. They also play in the West where all of the playoff teams are stacked.

Every, player, coach, and analyst in the NBA this year, have recognize that since the knicks stop running the triangle, it's been a pleasure to watch..So yeah, phil will always be the main reason we were losing with out a fraction of a doubt.

Because that knick record is the direct result of JKidd! Rashweed! Camby! FluTysonMrsHibbert! JR did it! All 5 at once!

Once again you guys don’t know what your talking about. If you guys recall Nixluva put up stats that the Knicks rarely ran triangle. But you won’t acknowledge it. You won’t look at Melo’s inefficiency but hey efficiency never won anything. Hey he isn’t the problem. Melo will never be the problem.

The whole philosophy of the players the Knicks looked to acquire this off season exposes what they felt about last season and the players on it.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/22/2017  11:40 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

your the same guy who ensured us all that we would never change under Mills. (hows that going so far). The bottom line is that Kanter, Frank, McD, THjr and Jack are simply better basketball players than the guys they replaced in Melo, Rose, Jennings and Holiday.

Tell yourselves anything you want. While Melo was here there was no escaping that style of play. So once moving on from the it the Knicks became better immediately. 1248, jrod, hofstra... you guys would and did laugh thinking that those players could replace the great Melo and what he brings. Guess what? Melo was a replaced by players you guys would consider far inferior and the Knicks are better for it. Its also freeing up other guys on the roster to grow, and they are.

I still find it strange that fans who say they enjoyed the Knicks of the 90s can get so behind a player that plays defense for 90 seconds a night. But to each his own. Its was nice to see KP flying around on defense and going full speed covering Blake, especially on a bad shooting night. There is nobody in the line up that doesnt play defense full speed all the time, and if they dont they come out of the game. Think that was a Phil issue? Really? One guy was keeping that from happening. Only pure denial keeps anyone from seeing that. This is why Rambis ripped into Melo and why Rambis is still here despite some being so sure he was a toxic presence.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
USA
11/22/2017  11:45 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

They have bad losses to the Utah Jazz, Sacramento Kings, and just lost to the Pelicans with Boogie Cousins getting ejected mid way through the game. There schedule has been relatively easy thus far. They have 2 decent wins given the comp against the Pacers(without Turner but will give credit since Pacers have played well early in the season) and Bucks(Who haven't played well early in the season but were supposed to be a ECC contender). The rest of their wins have been against cup cakes with a 3 game wins streak against Clippers, Mavs, Bulls. They beat the Knicks first game of the season. But we all know that they are not the same team. They have lost to the Celtics, Spurs, Wolves twice pretty much the top of the line comp. And have not beat any teams on this level yet. They have the Warriors today though so they have a chance to change that.

They have Russ(reigning MVP), PG13, Melo, Adams. Stop it with the they lack depth. That could be an excuse to them losing in the WCF or maybe in a tough matchup in the 2nd round if they get like the Spurs or Rockets. But that doesn't hold weight when they lose to teams like the Kings and Pelicans etc.

What has been a pleasure to watch is actual effort. Triangle or no triangle effort is the difference. Baker with some others helped expose that last yr. Knicks built on that this year.

Heat won 58 games with Bron, Wade, Bosh and NBA minimum level players. Literally D league players and washed up guys like Dampier. You hear generally two types of comments around here regarding Melo. One type is glad we have moved on. The other type is excuses for why his team isnt winning *this* time.

Yea Melo! Guy didnt even play hard here and he's still got a couple jock riders. Good for him.

nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

11/22/2017  12:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/22/2017  12:09 PM
It's the same ole with Melo's defensive lawyer team here.
Melo plays a style that's in conflict with team ball.
There are others who do this. Players like Kobe and MJ. Even Bron. The difference is to play that level or to build your team around a guy like that it's about him being that dominant. Also Bron, MJ and Kobe all know how to play like a point guard and keep finding the open man. They are utterly dominant.

Melo's a tier 2 all time great scorer, playing a game in NY that was only successful as a tier 1 all time great. To have success around a player like that is very difficult.

It's much easier to build a team with a balanced attack around a big man that does it on both ends. That's why we look better than last year and that's why OKC looks worse.

Melo should have changed his game years ago, but he never made that leap. If he stuck to playing the way he was under Fisher in his second season as our coach, if he had stuck to that kind of play through his career he would have been a much more successful player.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/22/2017  12:14 PM
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

They have bad losses to the Utah Jazz, Sacramento Kings, and just lost to the Pelicans with Boogie Cousins getting ejected mid way through the game. There schedule has been relatively easy thus far. They have 2 decent wins given the comp against the Pacers(without Turner but will give credit since Pacers have played well early in the season) and Bucks(Who haven't played well early in the season but were supposed to be a ECC contender). The rest of their wins have been against cup cakes with a 3 game wins streak against Clippers, Mavs, Bulls. They beat the Knicks first game of the season. But we all know that they are not the same team. They have lost to the Celtics, Spurs, Wolves twice pretty much the top of the line comp. And have not beat any teams on this level yet. They have the Warriors today though so they have a chance to change that.

They have Russ(reigning MVP), PG13, Melo, Adams. Stop it with the they lack depth. That could be an excuse to them losing in the WCF or maybe in a tough matchup in the 2nd round if they get like the Spurs or Rockets. But that doesn't hold weight when they lose to teams like the Kings and Pelicans etc.

What has been a pleasure to watch is actual effort. Triangle or no triangle effort is the difference. Baker with some others helped expose that last yr. Knicks built on that this year.

Heat won 58 games with Bron, Wade, Bosh and NBA minimum level players. Literally D league players and washed up guys like Dampier. You hear generally two types of comments around here regarding Melo. One type is glad we have moved on. The other type is excuses for why his team isnt winning *this* time.

Yea Melo! Guy didnt even play hard here and he's still got a couple jock riders. Good for him.

Yea but we would be winning even more if we just signed Rondo and dropped Phil for the same team. And if we don't win then its because Jeff and Rambis suck.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
USA
11/22/2017  3:34 PM
Before the Knicks’ recent 107-85 blowout of the Clippers, the pregame broadcast aired a clip of coach Jeff Hornacek discussing the improvements his team’s offense has made this year:
Jeff Hornacek wrote:“More ball movement, more body movement,” Hornacek told the press. “There’s some guys that are really good at cutting off the ball [on this team]. We’re not standing around as much, having one guy go at it.”
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/22/2017  4:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/22/2017  4:18 PM
The good news for the Thunder, in addition to the fact that they have the league’s third-best defense after finishing 10th last season? Their starting five of Westbrook, Andre Roberson, Anthony, George and Steven Adams is just fine, with a net rating of plus-6.5. But a lack of bench consistency appears to be leading to an overreliance on that lineup, as it’s one of just seven across the NBA that have played at least 180 combined minutes together.

“I think they all understand that they can't do it by themselves, and I think they all realize that from the situations they're coming from, that now, ‘How do we figure out how to do it together?' ” Donovan said. “In order to compete at the highest level, you've got to have several really good players on your team. And there may be some truth to that, but I think people think that all of a sudden you take a collection of talent and just throw it together (and it works). … I didn't think it was going to be like, (snaps his fingers), and we're off and running.”

“Our chemistry is really, really good. ... Carmelo is a really, really personable guy. He's been really good with Russell. Paul is a great guy. (Free agent addition, forward) Patrick (Patterson), I knew (because I recruited him while at Florida). … But we've got to become more consistent. I think part of the reason we're not consistent enough is because we haven't played with each other enough. And on top of that, they're all coming from different experiences.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/thunder/2017/11/22/thunder-not-cooking-yet-carmelo-anthony-paul-george-dish-early-season-struggles/886788001/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
11/22/2017  5:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/22/2017  5:13 PM
Chris Brussard talking a lot of trash about Melo on FSN1 right now...damn

Saying Westbrook and George are better when Melo is not on the floor.

Melo should come off the bench for OKC and it's time.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/22/2017  6:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/22/2017  6:02 PM
PresIke wrote:Chris Brussard talking a lot of trash about Melo on FSN1 right now...damn

Man! How refreshing is it to be FREE of these kind of Melo related discussions? They tried to drum up anything they could find into some kind of drama early on but minus Melo there just wasn’t anything that could stick. This year is all about TEAM BASKETBALL.

We’re free guys. FREE!!! 😁

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

11/22/2017  9:57 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
anrst wrote:Does Melo still have a no trade clause?

Presti would probly love to ship him to sacramento for a second rounder and Koufus

The NTC stays with the contract, no matter what the contract goes. To be traded again, Melo would need to waive the NTC to the next team. In that way, OKC inherits that specific problem.

The trade kicker though IIRC does not apply again.

NTC - Must operate to league standard, no discretion
Trade Kicker - Agreement only between specific player and specific team given time and place

Really? If you waive your NTC once, it's not gone? I would have assumed that.

No Trade Clauses are only eligible based on service time/tenure on the league. How much time you've spent in the league period ( i.e. in "eligible years" ) and how much time you've spent with the same team for consecutive seasons in terms of "eligible years"

Let me give you a different example. By virtue of being in the NBA and being drafted, you agree, as a player in the NBA, to do a certain number of community outreach/charity type hours/functions. Some are for the league itself, some are designated at the discretion of your team, but against an approved list of types of activities. This is not negotiable. However your drafting team may ask you to do more than that ( just about every team does) What is only enforceable in your rookie deal is the league mandated hours/number of events. A team can't make you do charity and community type functions outside the bounds of your contractual obligation to the NBA itself. However, once you get past your rookie deal, you can negotiate how many you have to do above and beyond the league minimum.

This is why Isaiah Thomas 2 was seen as a "victim" in some circles when Boston traded him. He did more than the league minimum. He did more than what he agreed to individually with the team itself in his contract.

In the same way, the NTC, if it applies to a player and the team and the player agree to it, it has to operate against league standards, because it's a service time issue.

Trade kickers however are not applicable to league standards. Otherwise every player would have a trade kicker of some kind.

Jarrett Jack is a veteran's minimum contract. He must be paid a specific slotted amount based on his service time in the league. This is a league standard and non negotiable. However Jack and the Knicks can break down how the money gets paid. One lump sum. Over a period of months. Deferred, etc. That aspect is a team standard with the player on an individual level.

Functionally, giving the NTC to Melo made no sense. The players who have gotten one in the past ( Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Dirk) all had extreme leverage situations. Phil Jackson is just sort of an idiot. But that's what this team gets for getting a geriatric with no previous front office experience to run this team.

TripleThreat

11/22/2017  10:18 PM
PresIke wrote:Chris Brussard talking a lot of trash about Melo on FSN1 right now...damn

Floor spacing is a problem for them.

Roberson is an offensive zero. Adams can't stretch the floor. Melo is forced into a spot up shooter role, and he's actually very good with catch and shoot in general. Neither WB nor Melo move well off the ball, and WB with the ball in his hands is not an effective distributor. He's more in the vein of an "attack guard" instead of a functional point guard or combo guard.

It's a top heavy roster, with bad roster fits, and their back end drafting didn't compensate for their depth loses of late.

Melo creates more questions than answers, and he's doing so in OKC as well. To be fair, though, Westbrook is just a difficult player to build around. His idea of offensive flow is rotating which player is going into isolation next.

This team needs to run. They won't last long in the playoffs that way, but WB, Melo and George can all excel in transition.

Adam Silver and the refs are gonna have to cheat the living f**k out of the Rockets to massage a Durant versus WB WCF showdown.

fwk00
Member: #6048

11/22/2017  10:26 PM
Phil's so-called discount retailing of Melo reaped big dividends. Can't thank Phil enough.

This trade would have never happened if Melo's bridges weren't burning behind him.

Ira
Member: #91
11/22/2017  10:26 PM
Melo, shmelo. The big thing was losing Derrick Rose. Rose was a disaster on d and didn't share the ball - a must for a good pg.
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

11/22/2017  10:28 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Floor spacing is a problem for them.

Roberson is an offensive zero. Adams can't stretch the floor. Melo is forced into a spot up shooter role, and he's actually very good with catch and shoot in general. Neither WB nor Melo move well off the ball, and WB with the ball in his hands is not an effective distributor. He's more in the vein of an "attack guard" instead of a functional point guard or combo guard.

It's a top heavy roster, with bad roster fits, and their back end drafting didn't compensate for their depth loses of late.

Melo creates more questions than answers, and he's doing so in OKC as well. To be fair, though, Westbrook is just a difficult player to build around. His idea of offensive flow is rotating which player is going into isolation next.

This team needs to run. They won't last long in the playoffs that way, but WB, Melo and George can all excel in transition.

Adam Silver and the refs are gonna have to cheat the living f**k out of the Rockets to massage a Durant versus WB WCF showdown.

Yep. They are really upset. Wait...they are blowing out the World Champs with Melo? Both teams are happy..lets leave it at that.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/22/2017  10:37 PM
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

your the same guy who ensured us all that we would never change under Mills. (hows that going so far). The bottom line is that Kanter, Frank, McD, THjr and Jack are simply better basketball players than the guys they replaced in Melo, Rose, Jennings and Holiday.

Tell yourselves anything you want. While Melo was here there was no escaping that style of play. So once moving on from the it the Knicks became better immediately. 1248, jrod, hofstra... you guys would and did laugh thinking that those players could replace the great Melo and what he brings. Guess what? Melo was a replaced by players you guys would consider far inferior and the Knicks are better for it. Its also freeing up other guys on the roster to grow, and they are.

I still find it strange that fans who say they enjoyed the Knicks of the 90s can get so behind a player that plays defense for 90 seconds a night. But to each his own. Its was nice to see KP flying around on defense and going full speed covering Blake, especially on a bad shooting night. There is nobody in the line up that doesnt play defense full speed all the time, and if they dont they come out of the game. Think that was a Phil issue? Really? One guy was keeping that from happening. Only pure denial keeps anyone from seeing that. This is why Rambis ripped into Melo and why Rambis is still here despite some being so sure he was a toxic presence.

You keep thinking any of us was defending melo, All i ever talk about was the pathetic triangle. You have to think about Phils micro managing man. If there's no trangle, everyone one of phils rosters make the playoffs.

Do you you here any player complaining about the offense.

The defense has been a blessing, and that has surprise everyone

ES
CrushAlot
USA
11/22/2017  11:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/22/2017  11:19 PM
Ira wrote:Melo, shmelo. The big thing was losing Derrick Rose. Rose was a disaster on d and didn't share the ball - a must for a good pg.
It was reported that Melo was turning down all trade offers presented to him before Phil got fired because he so mad about how Phil handled things. He wasnt going anywhere or doing anything that woukd help Phil Once Phil was fired Melo agreed to give up the 8 mil trade kicker Phil gave him. Reports came out today that Melo would have waived his NTC and trade kicker to go to the Blazers if the Thunder trade didn't workout. I don't know what might have happened if Phil stayed. My guess is Melo would eventually be bought out and the Knicks would have 27 mil against their cap for the next two years. Also, Phil was contemplating resigning Rose and trading KP. The guy was an awful executive.
*****Response was to fwk thanking Phil for how he handled trying to trade Melo.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

11/23/2017  12:24 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

You keep thinking any of us was defending melo, All i ever talk about was the pathetic triangle. You have to think about Phils micro managing man. If there's no trangle, everyone one of phils rosters make the playoffs.

I do understand that players were not big fans of the Triangle, but you also have to remember that Anthony did not like it, and as the highest paid and most celebrated player on the team, nothing was going to get done without him buying in.

There was another time with the Knicks where he didn't like a coach...You do remember that the guy who Melo helped to sandbag a few years ago- MDA, got coach of the year last season, and with guys who buy into his offense, he is having great success in Houston. Did you have a problem with MDA's system? Seems that Anthony was not the biggest fan of a guard orchestrated offense, though he loved the freedom Woodson gave him- enough to win a scoring title.

I like the offensive scheme we are playing now...a lot of movement and players who move without the ball can get rewarded. Strangely enough, KP is now the guy who actually slows down the offensive tempo at times, and that is something they have to work on, but in general, it has become more entertaining and effective, especially after the first few games. I doubt if we would have seen this kind of offensive performance if Anthony had remained on the team.

He is in a good situation in OKC, where he is not the alpha player on the team...happy for him, but I don't think he would have fit into our present offense, and sure as hell could not have kept up if he had to play the kind of D we play now.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
USA
11/23/2017  1:52 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

I do understand that players were not big fans of the Triangle, but you also have to remember that Anthony did not like it, and as the highest paid and most celebrated player on the team, nothing was going to get done without him buying in.

There was another time with the Knicks where he didn't like a coach...You do remember that the guy who Melo helped to sandbag a few years ago- MDA, got coach of the year last season, and with guys who buy into his offense, he is having great success in Houston. Did you have a problem with MDA's system? Seems that Anthony was not the biggest fan of a guard orchestrated offense, though he loved the freedom Woodson gave him- enough to win a scoring title.

I like the offensive scheme we are playing now...a lot of movement and players who move without the ball can get rewarded. Strangely enough, KP is now the guy who actually slows down the offensive tempo at times, and that is something they have to work on, but in general, it has become more entertaining and effective, especially after the first few games. I doubt if we would have seen this kind of offensive performance if Anthony had remained on the team.

He is in a good situation in OKC, where he is not the alpha player on the team...happy for him, but I don't think he would have fit into our present offense, and sure as hell could not have kept up if he had to play the kind of D we play now.

The Knicks gave up on D'Antoni's style when they traded away the guys they did for Melo. But D'Antoni went into his final year as a lame duck coach, with a gm that amnestied the best point gard on the team to sign a center and go with a traditional line up and hired his college roommate as associate head cach in charge of defense. D'Antoni wasn't going to be offered another deal. He went onto e a really bad coach for the Lakers. I thought he looked really weak going after Melo six years later when he finally coached a team to a +.500 record.
I love how the Knicks are playing and moving on from Melo was the right thing to do. But the Knicks had a top 7 player in his prime and never built the team the right way because of poor management aside from 2012.
TripleThreat

11/23/2017  3:00 AM
CrushAlot wrote:It was reported that Melo was turning down all trade offers presented to him before Phil got fired because he so mad about how Phil handled things.

Perry seems to get credit for the OKC Melo trade when the reality is no matter who the GM of the Knicks was at the time, the biggest issue for Melo opening up his trade list was the impending start of the season.

If Phil Jackson was NOT FIRED, and the season was about to start, Melo would have likely expanded his trade list anyway. The exact same trade might have happened (Since Mills would have to negotiate it) anyway.

The one benefit to Perry is he had old ties to the OKC franchise since he worked there previously. Clearly that was an advantage.

Melo turned down all offers because the Knicks didn't want Ryan Anderson and James Harden would not allow the Rockets to fire Pringles to accommodate a Melo trade if the Knicks would take Anderson. In the end, Melo creating bad blood with Pringles hurt him in the end.

Is it too early to say that Perry won the Melo Trade?!?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy