Otto Porter vs Frank Ntilikina
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/18/2017  3:50 PM
Otto Porter

Strengths:
Porter is a multi-skilled small forward possessing tremendous length (7’1 wingspan) and veteran basketball savvy at 19-years of age. He’s in constant motion away from the ball, roaming the baseline, cutting backdoor or settling into soft spots. Utilizes that same motor to get out in the open court and runs exceedingly well end to end; averages 1.45 PPP in transition. Plays to his strengths and works hard to ameliorate areas of weakness. He upped his scoring output from 9.7 as a freshman to 16.2 as a sophomore (48% FG). The key ingredient to his offensive explosion was improved long-range proficiency, from 23% to 42% (12 makes to 43). 51% adjusted FG% in spot up opportunities. Highly efficient in the mid-range from either elbow -- catch and shoot coming off screens (or working the middle of 2-3) and dribbling into jumpers with one or two habit bounces. His unorthodox style and arm length frequently result in contact; makes excellent use of the pump fake. He gets to the free throw stripe 5 times per game and converts at 77%. Prudent decision maker with ball in hand when asked to facilitate in the Princeton system- 2.7:1.5 assist: turnover ratio. In sync with teammates and uses the dribble to create better passing angles. His feel for the game and nose for the ball are highlighted on the boards. His length/motor/instincts (reading caroms) allow him to chase down misses outside of his area (7.5 REB). Contests every jump shot-- even when a shooter creates space, his wingspan negates a clear look (0.9 BLK). Hedges screens aggressively and disrupts hand-offs (1.8 STL). Porter was a late bloomer that did not play on the AAU circuit. Finished classes after declaring for the draft and gets the” big picture”. Stable performer, never see him flustered.

Weaknesses: Smooth run/jump athlete but missing the trademark explosion of a lottery talent. The power quotient is noticeably absent as well. While muscle definition is more noticeable, he has not added substantial bulk in his two years (from 200 to 205). It appears he has the broad shoulders to support more weight. He lacks the tools to impose his will on the game. Has difficulty creating clean looks for himself- off the dribble creativity is elementary and he’s more slippery/slithery than quick. Aptitude shooting off the bounce is often condensed to 1 or 2 dribbles, doesn’t rise up and elevate off hard drives. Not a consistent breakdown candidate, dependent on another playmaker or garbage buckets in the half court. Limited albeit diverse role player. Porter was utilized as a “pick and pop” threat just three times all season, failing to showcase potentially his greatest attribute as an undersized 4. His jump shot mechanics are awkward with elbows out and funky sidespin rotation. To his credit, he’s made it work a la Shawn Marion. Top-notch defender in all situations that don’t require side to side movement in open space. There are clear shortcomings in the lateral quickness department, which he masks with makeup speed and length.

13/14: 2pts, 1.5rebs, 363 fg%, 190 3pt%, 8.6mins. 20 yrs old.
17/18: 16pts, 7.5rebs, 1.7stls, 565 fg%, 491 3pt%, 33mins. 24 yrs old.

Advanced
17/18: 663 TS%, 131 Ortg-102 Drtg, 227 WS48,

Would love this type of outcome for Frank over the next few years.

Wonder if Wiz would be willing to work out a Kanter & Lee for Porter & Gortat swap if they have a poor playoffs. Gives them their center for the future and they still have Oubre in the wings. Lee gives them good depth at G/F behind Beal and Oubre.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
11/18/2017  5:03 PM
I like to dream too.
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
11/18/2017  9:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/18/2017  9:05 PM
The funny thing is I have often thought of Porter when thinking about Frank's potential. I remember watching a Wizards game when Potter was a rookie and thinking that kid cannot dribble and chew gum at the same time. He looked terrible!! He could not shoot, had no clue what he was doing on offense, looked like he could barely dribble under pressure, I mean he looked bad. But four years later, he is one of the best small forwards in the league. I am hoping Frank can make the same kind of improvement. Frank has a lot of offense in him, he just needs to develop his body to get stronger and get the mentality that he needs to score. I can easily see Frank turning into a 18-20 scorer, with 9-10 assists, and 2 steals, which would basically be all star type production for a point guard.
Trust the Process
newyorknewyork
11/19/2017  2:31 PM
TheGame wrote:The funny thing is I have often thought of Porter when thinking about Frank's potential. I remember watching a Wizards game when Potter was a rookie and thinking that kid cannot dribble and chew gum at the same time. He looked terrible!! He could not shoot, had no clue what he was doing on offense, looked like he could barely dribble under pressure, I mean he looked bad. But four years later, he is one of the best small forwards in the league. I am hoping Frank can make the same kind of improvement. Frank has a lot of offense in him, he just needs to develop his body to get stronger and get the mentality that he needs to score. I can easily see Frank turning into a 18-20 scorer, with 9-10 assists, and 2 steals, which would basically be all star type production for a point guard.

I see it as Porter never molded his game to be a go to scorer, play maker. What he did was become a beast and crazy efficient within his physical traits and skill set. Obviously with Frank being a guard it will be harder. But would also depend on style of play.

TPercy
Member: #5748

11/20/2017  9:27 PM
Kanter would fit so well with the Wizards its not even funny
The Future is Bright!
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

11/20/2017  9:33 PM
Frank looked like the worst PG in the NBA tonight
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
newyorknewyork
11/20/2017  9:54 PM
Jmpasq wrote:Frank looked like the worst PG in the NBA tonight

Momma said there'd be days like this.

newyorknewyork
11/20/2017  11:38 PM
Apparently Frank was under the weather. Told coach he wasn't helping the team.
Otto Porter vs Frank Ntilikina

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy