[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Daymean Dotson"I played better in the nBA because of the D league"
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/13/2017  7:24 PM
I believe this 100%. People tend to think its a taboo if you play in the D league--people take offense if you say Frank should play in the D league. Our home games in the D league are where the Knicks practice I believe. So why wouldnt we want Frank to play 2-4 games this year where he can start--play 40 minutes and work on offense first type play?
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/13/2017  9:18 PM
I think frank is doing just fine doing his thing well in the NBA.
ekstarks94
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6104

11/13/2017  9:23 PM
Frank is getting his reps in meaningful games...**** he is playing entire qtrs
BRIGGS
11/13/2017  10:10 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:Frank is getting his reps in meaningful games...**** he is playing entire qtrs

Frank needs massive offensive work. Playing 40 minutes as lead guard for some games in the d league is a great way to help development

RIP Crushalot😞
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/13/2017  11:24 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:Frank is getting his reps in meaningful games...**** he is playing entire qtrs

Frank needs massive offensive work. Playing 40 minutes as lead guard for some games in the d league is a great way to help development

No NBA player plays games and D league on off days. That’s just stupid. They also work things in practice.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
reub
Member: #6227

11/14/2017  12:13 AM
Willy needs the time in the G league, not Frank who is exceeding expectations in the NBA.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/14/2017  12:22 AM
I think I'm missing the context here. One G-League game had that much of an impact on Dotson's short NBA career?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BRIGGS
11/14/2017  12:51 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/14/2017  12:58 AM
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

No NBA player plays games and D league on off days. That’s just stupid. They also work things in practice.[/b]

Sure they do--ever hear of the San Antonio Spurs--you know the team that has won a lot of championships? And so do other teams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2275308-san-antonio-spurs-showing-rest-of-league-exactly-how-to-use-nba-d-league

So you're calling me stupid without researching actual fact? Come on man--thats uncool.

RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/14/2017  12:25 PM
BRIGGS wrote:I believe this 100%. People tend to think its a taboo if you play in the D league--people take offense if you say Frank should play in the D league. Our home games in the D league are where the Knicks practice I believe. So why wouldnt we want Frank to play 2-4 games this year where he can start--play 40 minutes and work on offense first type play?

Briggs, you have to source this quote. Its the "G League" now, so you did not cut and paste. You hear it in an interview? Full context? Did he say this in part or this was the main point of the interview? He has played how many games there? Dies he "Play better" because sitting on the bench does not?

We can see you want Frank playing there too, but the fact is Frank is playing in the NBA and taking his lumps. He played professionally last year in Europe.
So you doing fake news or you going to get us this interview to validate the statement and its full context?

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

11/14/2017  5:53 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

He needs work, but that kind of work comes in the offseason. Right now he is getting quality minutes...G League is for rooks not getting any PT....eventually he will take over the starter spot....on top of that he is hesitant with his offensive game....he is getting acclimated the kid is 19.....he is not an AAU player where u throw him out there and it is one on one all day every day...that is not his game....will he need to be able to breakdown a defense eventually...yes...but we have not even gotten through the first 30 days of the season yet.....

give the kid time....for all the talk about him...when he did not play in summer league and preseason...league is starting to take notice...when PHX talked to us about Bledsoe it was him and Willy they asked for....team's want players like him....he has a lot of physical tools that will be refined over time....not shuttling back and forth between G league......

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
11/15/2017  10:36 PM
Frank is closing out 4th quarters in wins and you want him in the DLeague?
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
11/15/2017  10:38 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

No NBA player plays games and D league on off days. That’s just stupid. They also work things in practice.[/b]

Sure they do--ever hear of the San Antonio Spurs--you know the team that has won a lot of championships? And so do other teams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2275308-san-antonio-spurs-showing-rest-of-league-exactly-how-to-use-nba-d-league

So you're calling me stupid without researching actual fact? Come on man--thats uncool.

So you want to take 19 yr old player who is playing major minutes in every game and add the D League to his schedule?

sidsanders
Member: #2426

11/15/2017  10:46 PM
from the BR link

But unlike many franchises who didn't—and still don't—recognize the value of a D-League connection, the Spurs ensured that Joseph, raw as he was, would spend his rookie and sophomore campaigns doing more than watch his teammates play from the sidelines.

this does not seem to apply to FN. if he wasnt playing, ya, send him down.

GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!!
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

11/15/2017  11:02 PM
BRIGGS wrote:I believe this 100%. People tend to think its a taboo if you play in the D league

Progressive Overload.

You improve (If the player can improve at all) when you are exposed to a better level of competition than you've had to face previously and you can do so on a consistently and with a specific role in mind.

That's it.

Ntilikina is improving because he's actually getting minutes and playing against a tier of competition superior to what he's faced previously.

Dotson, is the same, just a different set of circumstances.

The benefit of the G League is there is more of an emphasis on individual skill coaching. The league is also set up to be affiliation neutral. You have a team and a franchise, but if another coach on another team can help you, then it's just sort of accepted as part of the process. In the NFL, just like the rest of pro sports, you get "per diem" money. IE. cash in an envelope for meals and such. Players LOVED this more than anything. It was money not have to be accounted for with anything else ( Sadly a lot of pro players, their wives control all the finances, so many guys just get an "allowance"....Sigh....) While it's not a hard fast rule, the general process was veteran players would give their per diem money to the fringe guys or the practice squad guys. You stay a little longer to help coach up those guys. You let them crash with you if you like them or have a history or some shared background ( you both played for the same college, etc)

The expectation level for G League guys is just going to be different. The level of patience and individual attention will also be different.

Ntilikina is developing in a much harsher structure, which is both good and bad.

The advantage of having a young player who can actually defend in the NBA is like having a young running back in the NFL who can pass block. If you can't pass block, you don't play. Doesn't matter if you run like Barry Sanders Lite if your QB1 is getting pasted on every play. That Frank N can defend means he's not a total liability while the rest of his game develops.

Much of offensive development comes from learning actual NBA personnel and their tendency, building a rapport with the refs in general and enough exposure to let the game "slow down" for you. Much of it is acclimation.

Briggs, the problem you have in general with NBA analysis is you fundamentally lack any critical thinking skills whatsoever. It's actually pretty sad if you think about it ( I suppose one benefit is you actually won't think about it. Irony is funny sometimes, right?)

Not every player needs the D/G League to develop. You get better as a player playing, whatever the environment.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/15/2017  11:07 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

The author.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

11/15/2017  11:13 PM
Originally against this...but, if possible, it would be interesting to see if he could get more comfortable asserting himself on offense. I say a number of his French games, and he was more confident calling his own number on offense than he is here.

The big problem with playing him in the GL? He is finishing games for us and having an impact on the floor that really goes beyond his shooting. GL games mean more opportunities to get hurt, and to be honest, the Knicks cannot afford this.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
BRIGGS
11/16/2017  12:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/16/2017  12:54 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:Originally against this...but, if possible, it would be interesting to see if he could get more comfortable asserting himself on offense. I say a number of his French games, and he was more confident calling his own number on offense than he is here.

The big problem with playing him in the GL? He is finishing games for us and having an impact on the floor that really goes beyond his shooting. GL games mean more opportunities to get hurt, and to be honest, the Knicks cannot afford this.

Working as a shoot first PG for 3-4 games in between lay offs would be a great way for him to become assertive. He was not good in the first half and they laid off him in the 2nd--and credit for hitting a couple of shots--but I bet the feel of being free to come up and shoot it would help his development. Not scared of him getting hurt at 19 in that league.

I tell you another player who needs the D league despite getting nBA triple doubles--Lonzo Ball. Hes just not going to get game chances to alter his fd up shot. I think hes going to be fine--but he needs developmental time. I dont think hes a starting nb player.

RIP Crushalot😞
broadwaystorm
Member: #6196

11/16/2017  1:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/16/2017  1:51 AM
I think in the case of Joseph, he was never going to play in those powerhouse Spurs teams. So the G League to him was an enormous benefit and he starred for his team and didn't rot on the bench. Also got to work on the stuff his coach wanted. In the Knicks case, Frank doesn't need it because he actually gets minutes. And he contributes defensively. He is already one of the best defensive players on the team and is a big catalyst for the second team when its time to cut on an opponents lead with the lockdown defense. Sadly our starting team plays next to nothing on defense so a guy like Frank is invaluable. He doesn't need to develop his offensive game at a faster pace. It's gonna take a few years for him to become the well rounded starting point guard of the Knicks. But judging from what I see, his vision, handle, his passing, his defense, his range. He has a lot of tools to get there. In the case of Dotson who rarely plays, he would benefit enormously from playing in the G League a lot more. As will Ron Baker. And more than anyone the guy who should be down there RIGHT NOW working on his defensive game is Willy. He is the guy who would have the most to gain from being there. He is not going to unseat Kanter and KOQ at this pace with the way his defense is lacking. And now add Noah to the mix and its even worse. Willy I see as a future center for the Knicks, hopefully the starter but if not at least the backup. And it's not gonna happen with him rotting on the bench.
Chandler
Member: #6197

11/16/2017  7:39 AM
This is utter nonsense

Kid has a great feel for the game but is still getting rhythm

Before the 2d half of season we will see a more confident offensive player

Do you honestly think there will be better coaching in G league. What about the ability to learn from teammates

Yes it gives reps/minutes. But he’s getting and earning those now

He’s playing the 4th quarter for Christ sakes and watches the game the 1st quarter learning by watching Jack and opposing pg. will the G league be better than that

Let’s just stop the nonsense. This is as crazy as the Clakson and Lebron threads

(5)(5)
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

11/16/2017  8:43 AM
BRIGGS wrote:I believe this 100%. People tend to think its a taboo if you play in the D league--people take offense if you say Frank should play in the D league. Our home games in the D league are where the Knicks practice I believe. So why wouldnt we want Frank to play 2-4 games this year where he can start--play 40 minutes and work on offense first type play?
We NEED Frank here. yes his offense is still coming along and he doesnt play 30 minutes yet BUT he always plays most if not all the 4th quarter because we need him to help either close out games or make a comeback.
Daymean Dotson"I played better in the nBA because of the D league"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy