[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Ron Baker Excuse
Author Thread
Knixkik
Posts: 28458
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
11/13/2017  6:49 PM
I want to start by saying that i really liked Baker last year and felt he had the chance to become a solid backup guard. But the way he is being handled is odd. He might be the only player in the league that gets a cover-up every time he's inactive. First the ankle injury, now the shoulder thing. We obviously know Hornacek really likes him as a person, and the front office has committed to him by saying his name alongside the other youngsters, as well as the contract. So is this just their way of keeping his reputation protected? Would have to think that if they really felt he could help the team, he would be playing. Dotson and Jack, both guys originally expected to be inactive candidates at the beginning of the year, are playing too well, so this is the way they are solving this problem. The Ron Baker Excuse.
AUTOADVERT
Knickoftime
Posts: 23204
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2011
Member: #3370

11/13/2017  6:52 PM
Knixkik wrote:I want to start by saying that i really liked Baker last year and felt he had the chance to become a solid backup guard. But the way he is being handled is odd. He might be the only player in the league that gets a cover-up every time he's inactive. First the ankle injury, now the shoulder thing. We obviously know Hornacek really likes him as a person, and the front office has committed to him by saying his name alongside the other youngsters, as well as the contract. So is this just their way of keeping his reputation protected? Would have to think that if they really felt he could help the team, he would be playing. Dotson and Jack, both guys originally expected to be inactive candidates at the beginning of the year, are playing too well, so this is the way they are solving this problem. The Ron Baker Excuse.

Ummmmmm, what?

He's played in the last two Westchester games. The Knicks are not pretending he's hurt.

knicks1248
Posts: 36273
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
11/13/2017  7:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/13/2017  7:12 PM
I DONT why you guys feel like everybody on the team should be playing at one time. The avg NBA rotation is 8 to 10 players, unless it's garbage minutes.

It's like you guys want a 12 man rotation, which is never a good thing. We saw that first hand when fisher tried it, then rambis. This is the first time in a very long time, that we have a solid rotation, and I love what JH is doing.

I could understand if some guys were stinking up the joint and we were losing, but we are 7-2, and the current rotation seems to be working

ES
EnySpree
Posts: 43899
Alba Posts: 138
Joined: 4/18/2003
Member: #397

11/13/2017  7:17 PM
I think they had high expectations as did alot of fans.... He's stl in the plans cuz he's young... but he's not that young. Scotty Brooks was a bum.... but he had a long NBA career. He even played for us the year of the Ward/Brown fight... I bet people used to talk him up too early on.... Baker has a chance to be more... maybe Bob Sura status... but the dude has to put in the work. The g league should be his home until we need him. By then Trey Burke might be the guy we end up calling
You know why I'm here....
Knixkik
Posts: 28458
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
11/13/2017  10:15 PM
knicks1248 wrote:I DONT why you guys feel like everybody on the team should be playing at one time. The avg NBA rotation is 8 to 10 players, unless it's garbage minutes.

It's like you guys want a 12 man rotation, which is never a good thing. We saw that first hand when fisher tried it, then rambis. This is the first time in a very long time, that we have a solid rotation, and I love what JH is doing.

I could understand if some guys were stinking up the joint and we were losing, but we are 7-2, and the current rotation seems to be working

I don't think you interpreted my post correctly. I think we should stick to a 9-man rotation. My issue is, when he is inactive, why do they always feel like giving him an excuse? Why not just say he's inactive and leave it at that? Here is a better way to look at it. If he were 100% healthy, would he be on the active roster right now? Has he done enough in practice to beat out Sessions for 3rd string PG? This has nothing to do with Baker seeing playing time or not, it has to do with the Knicks not believing he is a top 13 player on this team and would rather cover it with a series of minor injury announcements.

Knixkik
Posts: 28458
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
11/13/2017  10:16 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Knixkik wrote:I want to start by saying that i really liked Baker last year and felt he had the chance to become a solid backup guard. But the way he is being handled is odd. He might be the only player in the league that gets a cover-up every time he's inactive. First the ankle injury, now the shoulder thing. We obviously know Hornacek really likes him as a person, and the front office has committed to him by saying his name alongside the other youngsters, as well as the contract. So is this just their way of keeping his reputation protected? Would have to think that if they really felt he could help the team, he would be playing. Dotson and Jack, both guys originally expected to be inactive candidates at the beginning of the year, are playing too well, so this is the way they are solving this problem. The Ron Baker Excuse.

Ummmmmm, what?

He's played in the last two Westchester games. The Knicks are not pretending he's hurt.

Just seems like his injuries come more out of convenience of roster management. Sort of like "hey Ron, you aren't dressing tonight, so tell us what hurts the most and we will say you are inactive for this reason."

reub
Posts: 21273
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2016
Member: #6227

11/13/2017  11:10 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Knixkik wrote:I want to start by saying that i really liked Baker last year and felt he had the chance to become a solid backup guard. But the way he is being handled is odd. He might be the only player in the league that gets a cover-up every time he's inactive. First the ankle injury, now the shoulder thing. We obviously know Hornacek really likes him as a person, and the front office has committed to him by saying his name alongside the other youngsters, as well as the contract. So is this just their way of keeping his reputation protected? Would have to think that if they really felt he could help the team, he would be playing. Dotson and Jack, both guys originally expected to be inactive candidates at the beginning of the year, are playing too well, so this is the way they are solving this problem. The Ron Baker Excuse.

Ummmmmm, what?

He's played in the last two Westchester games. The Knicks are not pretending he's hurt.

Just seems like his injuries come more out of convenience of roster management. Sort of like "hey Ron, you aren't dressing tonight, so tell us what hurts the most and we will say you are inactive for this reason."


Not true. He has an injury. Fake news.
Knixkik
Posts: 28458
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
11/13/2017  11:24 PM
reub wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Knixkik wrote:I want to start by saying that i really liked Baker last year and felt he had the chance to become a solid backup guard. But the way he is being handled is odd. He might be the only player in the league that gets a cover-up every time he's inactive. First the ankle injury, now the shoulder thing. We obviously know Hornacek really likes him as a person, and the front office has committed to him by saying his name alongside the other youngsters, as well as the contract. So is this just their way of keeping his reputation protected? Would have to think that if they really felt he could help the team, he would be playing. Dotson and Jack, both guys originally expected to be inactive candidates at the beginning of the year, are playing too well, so this is the way they are solving this problem. The Ron Baker Excuse.

Ummmmmm, what?

He's played in the last two Westchester games. The Knicks are not pretending he's hurt.

Just seems like his injuries come more out of convenience of roster management. Sort of like "hey Ron, you aren't dressing tonight, so tell us what hurts the most and we will say you are inactive for this reason."


Not true. He has an injury. Fake news.

And what about the ankle soreness? Would he have been inactive if he was a needed rotation player? Maybe i'm way off base here, just seems too convenient.

reub
Posts: 21273
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2016
Member: #6227

11/14/2017  12:15 AM
He has a recent shoulder injury.
doomed
Posts: 20082
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2006
Member: #1078

11/16/2017  11:09 PM
Does every player's narrative have to center on the money they make? I hate that sports discussion has devolved into the financials. It's ruined the escapism or innocence of sports in my view. I get that salary caps play a big factor but the rampant fan obsession with player salaries sucks in my view. Ron baker is just an end of the bench, gritty role playing guard but since he makes 1-2-3 million more than the money geeks think he should make he's a constant source of negative discussion. This happens all over the sports landscape. I think it sucks.
Knixkik
Posts: 28458
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
11/16/2017  11:27 PM
doomed wrote:Does every player's narrative have to center on the money they make? I hate that sports discussion has devolved into the financials. It's ruined the escapism or innocence of sports in my view. I get that salary caps play a big factor but the rampant fan obsession with player salaries sucks in my view. Ron baker is just an end of the bench, gritty role playing guard but since he makes 1-2-3 million more than the money geeks think he should make he's a constant source of negative discussion. This happens all over the sports landscape. I think it sucks.

I don't think it's the money but more the fact that the front office declared him part of the core they are building around.

Zebo13
Posts: 20184
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/31/2017
Member: #6434
USA
11/17/2017  12:11 AM
Maybe he becomes our backup PG when Frank starts eventually. That way we would have an aggressive defender at PG all game. Of course this is depending on if Jack can stop being such a liability defensively and his health. Also, of course if Baker can is his offensive game in the G league and through practice. Just a thought. I feel Baker can play well within our movement system and his D had always been above average IMO.
Kemet
Posts: 20788
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 9/23/2015
Member: #6148

11/17/2017  1:11 AM
knicks1248 wrote:I DONT why you guys feel like everybody on the team should be playing at one time. The avg NBA rotation is 8 to 10 players, unless it's garbage minutes.

It's like you guys want a 12 man rotation, which is never a good thing. We saw that first hand when fisher tried it, then rambis. This is the first time in a very long time, that we have a solid rotation, and I love what JH is doing.

I could understand if some guys were stinking up the joint and we were losing, but we are 7-2, and the current rotation seems to be working


First off .. Baker performance last season belong in the D.League, there were nothing admiral bout Bakers performance last season other than he passed the ball more than D.Rose.

Jeff Hornacek is the wrong coach to have for developing our young core players n veteran players ..
Our Knicks are winning games because Frank Nitty relentless defensive skills are contagious to his teammates in the 4th quarter of the past 11 games. We had a 54 win season in 2012-13 when HOF Jason Kidd played every minute of the 4th quarter throughout the season.
The Knicks are supposed to be running a 10 Man rotation every game to develop a 2 unit lineup that co-exist, especially in all these Home-games.
Willy n Dotson should have receive playing-time in the 2nd quarter of all our 14 games.
Our goal should be to develop 9 to 12 Keeper players this season, plus having a decent season that increase the trade value of all our young core players.

nixluva
Posts: 55244
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
11/17/2017  2:02 AM
Kemet wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I DONT why you guys feel like everybody on the team should be playing at one time. The avg NBA rotation is 8 to 10 players, unless it's garbage minutes.

It's like you guys want a 12 man rotation, which is never a good thing. We saw that first hand when fisher tried it, then rambis. This is the first time in a very long time, that we have a solid rotation, and I love what JH is doing.

I could understand if some guys were stinking up the joint and we were losing, but we are 7-2, and the current rotation seems to be working


First off .. Baker performance last season belong in the D.League, there were nothing admiral bout Bakers performance last season other than he passed the ball more than D.Rose.

Jeff Hornacek is the wrong coach to have for developing our young core players n veteran players ..
Our Knicks are winning games because Frank Nitty relentless defensive skills are contagious to his teammates in the 4th quarter of the past 11 games. We had a 54 win season in 2012-13 when HOF Jason Kidd played every minute of the 4th quarter throughout the season.
The Knicks are supposed to be running a 10 Man rotation every game to develop a 2 unit lineup that co-exist, especially in all these Home-games.
Willy n Dotson should have receive playing-time in the 2nd quarter of all our 14 games.
Our goal should be to develop 9 to 12 Keeper players this season, plus having a decent season that increase the trade value of all our young core players.

Baker was one of the few players we had who actually had a positive impact on how the team played last year. That was his ROOKIE season. Thing is he’s still a young prospect that we’ve invested in.
No need to worry about kids in the program less than a quarter into his 2nd yr.

Jeff is doing just fine and learning more about his craft. There’s no reason to be kicking dirt on Jeff or what the team has been doing so far.

martin
Posts: 46304
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
11/17/2017  9:45 AM
Kemet wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I DONT why you guys feel like everybody on the team should be playing at one time. The avg NBA rotation is 8 to 10 players, unless it's garbage minutes.

It's like you guys want a 12 man rotation, which is never a good thing. We saw that first hand when fisher tried it, then rambis. This is the first time in a very long time, that we have a solid rotation, and I love what JH is doing.

I could understand if some guys were stinking up the joint and we were losing, but we are 7-2, and the current rotation seems to be working


First off .. Baker performance last season belong in the D.League, there were nothing admiral bout Bakers performance last season other than he passed the ball more than D.Rose.

Jeff Hornacek is the wrong coach to have for developing our young core players n veteran players ..
Our Knicks are winning games because Frank Nitty relentless defensive skills are contagious to his teammates in the 4th quarter of the past 11 games. We had a 54 win season in 2012-13 when HOF Jason Kidd played every minute of the 4th quarter throughout the season.
The Knicks are supposed to be running a 10 Man rotation every game to develop a 2 unit lineup that co-exist, especially in all these Home-games.
Willy n Dotson should have receive playing-time in the 2nd quarter of all our 14 games.
Our goal should be to develop 9 to 12 Keeper players this season, plus having a decent season that increase the trade value of all our young core players.

This thought line doesn't make sense on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Posts: 47695
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
11/17/2017  10:02 AM
doomed wrote:Does every player's narrative have to center on the money they make? I hate that sports discussion has devolved into the financials. It's ruined the escapism or innocence of sports in my view. I get that salary caps play a big factor but the rampant fan obsession with player salaries sucks in my view. Ron baker is just an end of the bench, gritty role playing guard but since he makes 1-2-3 million more than the money geeks think he should make he's a constant source of negative discussion. This happens all over the sports landscape. I think it sucks.
I agree. The comments are always based about 10% of the facts. The Knicks had reasons they wanted Baker around.
fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
HofstraBBall
Posts: 22344
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/21/2015
Member: #6192

11/17/2017  10:38 AM
Its the NBA, his time will come and he has to be ready. Seems like the games in Westchester will help with that.
The only arguement one can make is that he did not deserve the contract but its a mute point now and it was not much to begin with.
Melo Haters = Lin lovers who are mad Houston paid so much for his 15 Minutes,
knicks1248
Posts: 36273
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
11/17/2017  10:49 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:Its the NBA, his time will come and he has to be ready. Seems like the games in Westchester will help with that.
The only arguement one can make is that he did not deserve the contract but its a mute point now and it was not much to begin with.

He needs a lot of work, how can you be a combo guard if you can't shoot or dribble..

ES
GustavBahler
Posts: 32931
Alba Posts: 15
Joined: 7/12/2010
Member: #3186

11/17/2017  10:49 AM
Ankle injuries are no joke. Its hard to cut, to show a quick first step, to jump, backpeddle. If Baker wasnt shooting enough before a shoulder injury, not realistic to expect it then.

I said the same thing about Lance Thomas for several seasons. Read the same posts about Lance Thomas. Render your verdict after Baker is close to 100 percent. and has some PT under his belt.

Ive had serious injuries to both ankle and shoulder. Mobility is severely restricted. Surprised the OP acknowledges the injuries, but piles on anyway.


Leave Baker Alone!!

knicks1248
Posts: 36273
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
11/17/2017  11:13 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Ankle injuries are no joke. Its hard to cut, to show a quick first step, to jump, backpeddle. If Baker wasnt shooting enough before a shoulder injury, not realistic to expect it then.

I said the same thing about Lance Thomas for several seasons. Read the same posts about Lance Thomas. Render your verdict after Baker is close to 100 percent. and has some PT under his belt.

Ive had serious injuries to both ankle and shoulder. Mobility is severely restricted. Surprised the OP acknowledges the injuries, but piles on anyway.


Leave Baker Alone!!

Trust me, he's out of the rotation indefinitely, just like Noah. There's really no need for him right now

ES
The Ron Baker Excuse

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.