[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Other Side to KP's Start
Author Thread
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

11/13/2017  10:31 AM
I'm not calling it a negative, because him breaking out is too much of a positive, but there is now a very real possibility he's skipping straight to the 30% threshold.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

24. What is the Designated Player rule? What are the performance criteria for earning a higher maximum salary?

Certain players can receive contracts or extensions that are more favorable (in years and/or salary) than they ordinarily could receive. This applies to players who are finishing their rookie scale contracts (and other players with four years of experience), who can receive a starting salary up to 30% of the cap (which is normally reserved for players with 7-9 years of service). It also applies to players who are finishing their rookie scale extensions (and other players with eight or nine years of experience), who can receive a starting salary up to 35% of the cap (which is normally reserved for players with at least 10 years of service).

In addition, players signing a rookie scale extension can be designated by their team to receive a longer extension, totaling six seasons (including the season remaining on their rookie scale contracts).

In order to qualify for the higher maximum salary, players must meet certain performance criteria1. At least one of the following must be true:

The player was named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.

The player was named the Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.

The player was named the NBA Most Valuable Player in any of the three most recent seasons.

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/13/2017  11:03 AM
Oh wow. So he's going to be eligible for a supermax contract potentially?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/13/2017  11:09 AM
That's fine, if he's eligible lock him up for that rate. He will deserve it.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/13/2017  11:12 AM
Knixkik wrote:That's fine, if he's eligible lock him up for that rate. He will deserve it.

We'd have to do it but it leaves much less room to add complementary players and screws us if he gets injured.

PhilinLA
Member: #696
11/13/2017  11:22 AM
This is a supermax player and he's still ascending. This is not a problem at all.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/13/2017  11:23 AM
If the Knicks are good they can have the biggest payroll in the league and make money. Its a non issue for me. I hope we do give him the supermax. All NBA? I am more than happy to pay any of my guys who are the top 15 NBA players. Look at those winners.. its no popularity contest. All NBA are truly elite.

Some will lament the cap implications but the Knick's arent going to be big FA players. Their only hope there would be to move Kanter for a pick or very low cost player or just not resign him. Then move Lee and Noah for shorter deals. At that point Knicks would be able to offer big FA money to bring someone in.

Is that worth it? IF executed perfectly maybe. When does that every happen? It looks more likely the KNicks lose valuable and productive rotation guys in the process.

Gut feeling is if we have an ALL NBA player, AND we are winning games you build on that. Keep working the pipeline and bring the guys back helping you win if the price isnt egregious. Just my 2c. Build it right and pay the guys who are performing. Thats a good thing.

People are so afraid to pay guys. When was the last time we had good homegrown talent worth paying? I hope we make KP, Willy, Dotson and Frank very very rich off their great play! This is good for them! Good for us!

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/13/2017  11:43 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:That's fine, if he's eligible lock him up for that rate. He will deserve it.

We'd have to do it but it leaves much less room to add complementary players and screws us if he gets injured.

Agreed. It's just a chance we will have to take.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/13/2017  12:59 PM
PhilinLA wrote:This is a supermax player and he's still ascending. This is not a problem at all.

Would like to secure another stud before we have to pay. Since we most likely won't net that with a top 3 lotto pick as expected before the season. Gonna have to maneuver so that we can secure another strong piece to the core before salaries make it difficult to do.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

11/13/2017  4:10 PM
This is a good problem to have if deserved. We had to pay Melo several years ago....gun to the head....although many on the board said let him walk....if KP can stay healthy and gives us 90% of what he is giving us now...DO IT. We can worry about cap implications another time. Although a shrewd GM would be forecasting this potential issue and make moves down the road so we will not be handcuffed. I think Perry is that kind of guy.

The bright side...if he can get a supermax....no way he is leaving.

The Other Side to KP's Start

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy