[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What Five Would You Keep If A Disaster Draft Kicks In?
Author Thread
FireHornacek
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7584

11/12/2017  7:54 PM
You know in sports that if a team suffers a great disaster and loses many players due to death, that team is allowed to draft a new team from the other teams in the league. NBA has a rule that a team can protect only five players on its roster for this "Disaster Draft." Everybody after five is fair game to be picked by the depleted team.

So which five Knicks right now do you protect if another team gets wiped out? (Yeah, it's a morbid topic, but at least it is creative question.)

I protect these five:

Porzingis
Otter From Animal House
Courtney Lee
Sollozzo the Turk
Frank The Frog

Those are the five that this team can not part with.

AUTOADVERT
teamsport72
Member: #6172

11/12/2017  7:58 PM
Martin, lock this random thread.
FireHornacek

11/12/2017  8:00 PM
teamsport72 wrote:Martin, lock this random thread.

Why? You can't name the top five, most indispensable Knicks right now?

And I just saw your incomprehensible "Clyde" thread. That was locked so you want other threads locked. Real mature there, kid.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/12/2017  8:07 PM

Hey man, can we get back to some sensible posting? Thanks

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
teamsport72

11/12/2017  8:10 PM
Oh yeah
teamsport72

11/12/2017  8:14 PM
In Latvian, it is called "mīzala posting", I think this is the best forum there is.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
11/12/2017  9:38 PM
I mean, lets be honest: This is pretty extreme. Why not just say “Hey, who are the most indispensible Knicks right now?”

For the record, at the very moment, it is KP, Frank, KOQ, Lance and THJr.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

11/12/2017  9:51 PM
FireHornacek wrote:You know in sports that if a team suffers a great disaster and loses many players due to death, that team is allowed to draft a new team from the other teams in the league. NBA has a rule that a team can protect only five players on its roster for this "Disaster Draft." Everybody after five is fair game to be picked by the depleted team.

So which five Knicks right now do you protect if another team gets wiped out? (Yeah, it's a morbid topic, but at least it is creative question.)

I protect these five:

Porzingis
Otter From Animal House
Courtney Lee
Sollozzo the Turk
Frank The Frog

Those are the five that this team can not part with.

The interesting "twist" in a disaster draft is that the "lending" prohibition to trades is non existent.

Thus a team who is depleted can draft a veteran player and them IMMEDIATELY re-trade the player without any of the other limitations on a normal trade under the CBA, even back to his original team.

Usually, a draft last X number of rounds, if your team doesn't get a player picked, it's "skipped", and all teams can protect another specific set of players ( i.e. Protect 5, face the draft, possibly lose one or none, then protect 3, then possibly lose one or none, then protect A number of players, rinse, repeat)

So let's say Franchise A wants to really protect 9 players. The drafting team would draft a specific player agreed upon, then would trade the player back for a pick or something asset wise, then Franchise A could protect another 3 players immediately, thus actually protecting 9 players for the cost of said asset.

The flip side would be a "side by side" trade, where the drafting team would take on a bad contract in the draft, in exchange, that team would do a separate trade to compensate the team for eating the bad contract. It just wouldn't be listed as so.

It's one of the few situations where normal trade conventions in the normal CBA are sort of jettisoned. A truly gutted team in the NBA like this, it's detrimental to the entire league.

The league would also have to step in in terms of cash hit. The contracts are guaranteed, so the dead players will get the payout to their families, even if the cap charges are cleared. Paying a whole new set of players essentially doubles the operating budget, which could cripple many teams in the league. (Not everyone is the Lakers or Knicks out there) Insurance covers some of it, but you can't have team in the league go financially bust over something like this.

It would create an opportunity to dump Noah's contract. Maybe.

Odds are the Knicks would be skipped in a dispersal like this. A team like the 76ers or Boston would be hurt pretty badly.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/12/2017  9:56 PM
more polite to say "expansion draft". Back in the day when a new team came into the league teams got to protect players, and the others were exposed to "expansion draft".
A bit gruesome.
but why not go all the way?

Say a team is flying over the ANDES mountains and crashes. Which players would you eat to stay alive???

FireHornacek

11/12/2017  10:04 PM
Good stuff, TripleThreat. Very interesting. Never thought about a salary cap factor in a situation like this.

Obviously a morbid situation, but it did happen to a Brazilian soccer team just this past year. Interesting to see that the NBA does have a somewhat in depth plan in place for a situation like this. Unlike auto-racing. I'm an auto racing fan and I have seen in-race deaths and there really is no rule in place as to how to handle the rest of the race. I've seen races stopped and called off at the tragic moment and I've seen races run to conclusion even though a participant has died.

FireHornacek

11/12/2017  10:07 PM
Nalod wrote:

Say a team is flying over the ANDES mountains and crashes. Which players would you eat to stay alive???

Oh, come, on, no brainer. Half the league could feast on this guy.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/12/2017  11:43 PM
FireHornacek wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Oh, come, on, no brainer. Half the league could feast on this guy.

I would obviously keep Martin and Andrew... Nalod, TripleThreat, and Sendclosk.
We can eat Nix as he is optimist and meat should be sugary...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Cartman718
Member: #1694

11/12/2017  11:51 PM

are you Janis or Martins? the way you have been posting, you couldn't be anyone else lol
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/12/2017  11:59 PM
Cartman718 wrote:

are you Janis or Martins? the way you have been posting, you couldn't be anyone else lol

He may be some other puika...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

11/13/2017  12:37 AM
FireHornacek wrote:Never thought about a salary cap factor in a situation like this.

IIRC, amnesty waivers and competitive balancing in this type of situation would require majority vote from the owners.

Amnesty waivers would mean a player could be drafted into a dispersal, but the team would be able to amnesty the contract in the offseason without cap penalty.

Competitive balancing would mean draft picks (likely sandwiched between Rounds 1 and 2, and/or after Round 2) to the depleted team that are outside the normal draft process.

Functionally pro sports have two types of dispersal. Mid season or during the season, an emergency dispersal where players are "lent" to the depleted franchise. Original team owns the rights and contract to the players, but they are "lent" to the other franchise until the offseason when some other arrangement can be made. Offseason is when you'd have a true dispersal draft.

The number of players protected increase in the former situation. So for example, the Warriors would probably lose a guy like Omri Casspi, useful, but not franchise changing, in a "lend" scenario. Players on rookie contracts are usually exempt. Also in the offseason, if it happens before the official schedule is released, that's a factor too. ( A gutted team on the schedule disbalances the general strength of schedule formula)

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/13/2017  7:30 AM
I think my five would be:

KP
Kanter
Frank N
Willy
Dotson

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/13/2017  7:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/13/2017  7:54 AM
Interesting topic. I'll give an answer quite different from the other answers here: KP, Kanter, KOQ, Willy, and Frank. Why? A few reasons:
-I'm interested in protecting value more so than fit right now. Any of those protected players could be traded for a player who is much better (or a much better value at least) than the players left unprotected.
-I like having the best PF/C rotation in the NBA. With time, we can fill in the other positions.
-I don't think the disaster team would actually take any of my unprotected players anyway.

The roster is poorly balanced right now (with most of the talent at PF/C). So the protected players would reflect this imbalance. The way to balance out the roster is with patience and trades, not by letting an expansion/tragedy team take away our better players.

Swishfm3
Member: #392
11/13/2017  7:43 AM
KP
Kanter
Frank
Lee
O'Quinn

This was a bit harder than I thought...Was going to add ThJr but figured he would be safe with that monster contract. Thought the same with Kanter but I don't think I would chance it especially seeing how well Kanter/O'Quinn combo has been working so well. Almost added J.Jack as well. IMO, finally having a REAL PG (and going away from the triangle) has been the saving the grace for this team. Going back to Baker would be a disaster.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/13/2017  7:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/13/2017  7:51 AM
Swishfm3 wrote:KP
Kanter
Frank
Lee
O'Quinn

This was a bit harder than I thought...Was going to add ThJr but figured he would be safe with that monster contract. Thought the same with Kanter but I don't think I would chance it especially seeing how well Kanter/O'Quinn combo has been working so well. Almost added J.Jack as well. IMO, finally having a REAL PG (and going away from the triangle) has been the saving the grace for this team. Going back to Baker would be a disaster.

We're on a similar page except I think you have to protect Willy instead of Lee. You can trade Willy for a player who is better than Lee or at least better value if they take Lee. I don't think an expansion/disaster team would be willing to pay Lee 8 figures per year anyway. They'd definitely take Willy if we left him unprotected though.
Swishfm3
Member: #392
11/13/2017  2:29 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:KP
Kanter
Frank
Lee
O'Quinn

We're on a similar page except I think you have to protect Willy instead of Lee. You can trade Willy for a player who is better than Lee or at least better value if they take Lee. I don't think an expansion/disaster team would be willing to pay Lee 8 figures per year anyway. They'd definitely take Willy if we left him unprotected though.

That is a very good point...Although I think its crazy to protect 3 centers, lol.

What Five Would You Keep If A Disaster Draft Kicks In?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy