[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Are we re-establishing ourselves as an attractive destination for the top FAs?
Author Thread
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/15/2017  5:02 PM
KnixinSix wrote:
franco12 wrote:I don't want to get rid of Kanter, I want to lock him up. Best hope is he gives us some minor home town discount and we can extend him 4+ years or whatever we're allowed.

Our best hope now is to improve organically, the draft and some FA min signings where a star player like a David West signs here for min money.

I hear you on Kanter. However unless he took a ridiculously low contract to resign we can't keep him if we want any chance for 2 maxes. There is a way to keep him and clear up enough for 1 max.

However if the choice was Cousins or Kanter it's a no brainer. Cousins is about as well rounded a Center you can find.Offense,defense,dribbling,passing,3s. Heck he is averaging 5.6 assists! That's crazy.

I wouldn't want Cousins on this team even if it were at a vet min amount!

Just so no!

More talent? Yes. Head case? Yes.

Kanter less talent, but he fits!

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/15/2017  5:13 PM
Swishfm3 wrote:Has NY EVER been an attractive destination for free agents? I don't think so.

It helps that Phil Jackson is gone but I always though the biggest deterrent has always been the NY Sports Media.

Really? I don't think that factors into a player's decision. I've never heard someone say the media was a factor impacting their free agency decision.
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
11/15/2017  5:56 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:Has NY EVER been an attractive destination for free agents? I don't think so.

It helps that Phil Jackson is gone but I always though the biggest deterrent has always been the NY Sports Media.

Really? I don't think that factors into a player's decision. I've never heard someone say the media was a factor impacting their free agency decision.

State and city income tax are factors. The big three in Miami were able to take less and still net the same or more than Melo on a max at the time because of that.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/15/2017  6:03 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

State and city income tax are factors. The big three in Miami were able to take less and still net the same or more than Melo on a max at the time because of that.

was it a factor in their decision to land in Miami or a product of their decision to play together in Miami (a team that also had the available cap space)?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/15/2017  6:32 PM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

was it a factor in their decision to land in Miami or a product of their decision to play together in Miami (a team that also had the available cap space)?

The latter but no state income tax plays a part in where guys sign. I know there is a quote from awhile back that Rod Thorn was sure Kidd would leave nj for Dallas because there isn't a state income tax.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
11/15/2017  7:29 PM
KnixinSix wrote:Let's say this start is for real and KP proves himself to be a top 5 player in the NBA, Hornacek proves to be a legit coach with a good ball movement system,the Front office is harmonious (shares a unified vision), and subsequently The Mecca again is an attractive destination for a top FA.

Would this general team let's say (minus Kanter ,keeping OQuinn,waive/stretching Noah's contract) and adding LeBron legitimately vie for a championship?

Roughly speaking:

Oquinn/Henrnangomez
KP
Lebron/Hardaway
Lee/Hardaway/Dotson
Frank/Jack or FA

And a decent to deep bench?

With KP and LeBron both being two way top 5 players in the NBA and good role players around them+ a second year Frank running the point, I say yes.

-OR- let's say (minus Kanter ,keeping OQuinn,waive/stretching Noah's contract,trading or stretching Lee) and adding Cousins and George?

Roughly speaking:

Cousins/Oquinn/Henrnangomez
K.P.
Paul George/Hardaway
Hardaway/Dotson
Frank/Jack or FA

And a decent to deep bench?

I think that the key to bringing a FA Of consequence to the table is trading our first and some talent for a top 5. We like Kanter but at $18-20M it’s a challenge. If Noah is stretched and Lee/OQuinn traded it still leaves us short of a 3 and a 5 IF WE DONT SIGN KANTER. I’m not sure Lebron Is the answer yet he could play 3 and we draft one of the three top 5s who will probably be drafted within the top 5. Athletic, two way players. Developed offensively. If we don’t want LBJ then Draft Porter and keep Kanter. You’ve then a 3 and 5.!

PresIke
Member: #33
USA
11/15/2017  7:37 PM
Jalen Rose speculating tonight that Lebron's act (including riding the subway and his post which only showed him and the Knicks logo, was "flirting" with joining us. Hah.

The reaction would be hilarious and I'd be 100% for it.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

11/15/2017  9:20 PM
franco12 wrote:I don't want to get rid of Kanter, I want to lock him up. Best hope is he gives us some minor home town discount and we can extend him 4+ years or whatever we're allowed.

Knicks have his Bird Rights, so technically can sign him to a 5 year deal.

Kanter is having a good START to the season. His skill set won't age well. What little defense he has will erode to basically to nothing. He's working hard because he wants to lock in a long term deal before all the money dries up completely this offseason. Will that effort be there with a huge deal?

He quit on his team badly, many times in Utah. He firebombed the fanbase there on the way out. His "off moments" have a far longer history than his on moments. He's making stats as a 2nd overall offensive option. He becomes far more complicated and more of a liability when he shifts to a 4th option, on a better team designed to win. If he exhibited this level of effort his entire career, it's one thing, but he has not.

As for LBJ, he's an idiot. He does what Nike's marketing department tells him to do. If they say wear your uniform on the subway, he does it. Nike has a gigantic roomful of people who think about nothing but this all the time.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

11/15/2017  9:59 PM
KnixinSix wrote:Would this general team let's say (minus Kanter ,keeping OQuinn,waive/stretching Noah's contract) and adding LeBron legitimately vie for a championship?

Something Jerry West always preaches is look at a teams 7th,8th and 9th players on the roster. I.E. the best of the actual back of your rotation.

That usually tells you everything you need to know about a team.

Kanter is likely to opt in. Baker, given how things are going, is likely to opt in. KOQ, depending on the market, will likely opt out, but given injury, might opt in.

When Lance Thomas is in your 7-9 range, then you aren't getting LBJ to sign here as a free agent.

You are pushing things that are not likely to happen, then asking them to happen as a stack, and in sequence, in the most ideal scenario possible.

IF LBJ came to the Knicks, and Zinger got hurt, what do you have left?

You have to factor for actual attrition in pro sports ( The Yankees don't just think they'll need five starting pitchers all season do they?) When you go from LBJ, and then with injury, the 2nd best guy is THJr, then you are going to have problems.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/15/2017  11:21 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Knicks have his Bird Rights, so technically can sign him to a 5 year deal.

Kanter is having a good START to the season. His skill set won't age well. What little defense he has will erode to basically to nothing. He's working hard because he wants to lock in a long term deal before all the money dries up completely this offseason. Will that effort be there with a huge deal?

He quit on his team badly, many times in Utah. He firebombed the fanbase there on the way out. His "off moments" have a far longer history than his on moments. He's making stats as a 2nd overall offensive option. He becomes far more complicated and more of a liability when he shifts to a 4th option, on a better team designed to win. If he exhibited this level of effort his entire career, it's one thing, but he has not.

As for LBJ, he's an idiot. He does what Nike's marketing department tells him to do. If they say wear your uniform on the subway, he does it. Nike has a gigantic roomful of people who think about nothing but this all the time.

You gotta admit though, from a marketing perspective and with KP on the rise and the East decimated of talent, LeBron to Knicks might be a smart Nike move.

Knicks feature Kanter as much as they can hoping he will opt out to a team desperate for a big man. KOQ is absolutely opting out. Maybe, just maybe a playoff team is desperate enough to think Lee is solid enough of a 3 point shooter to trade for an expiring.

Knicks would have nearly $40M in cap space, 1st rounder and Bulls second.

One can dream.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Swishfm3
Member: #392
11/16/2017  5:25 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:

Of course they wouldn't. They would be lambasted has having thin skin and not tough enough.

I may have exaggerated by saying "the biggest deterrent" but can you imagine being a sports figure in NY, or LA, and having every single thing analyzed under a microscope? Sports writers here throw sh1t on the wall on hope something sticks.

Are we re-establishing ourselves as an attractive destination for the top FAs?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy