[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Do Porzingis, Frank, Willy and what we're doing make a case for Gaines?
Author Thread
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

11/10/2017  6:48 AM
As good as Perry did with the Melo trade. Major props to him. I don't think that we ever going to trade Melo to Houston for Anderson. However a trade was done very slowly and with good terms with Melo. Like you would never have had if not for Perry. So we need a guy like Perry in as GM.

I just wonder what Gaines's role is moving forward. A scout is not enough in my opinion.

Almost all the draft picks he's suggested to Phil, that we end up making have turned out to be gold.

Porzingis may be the best player in his draft.
Frank is playing like a lottery rookie point guard already. Man that defense.
Willy's rookie season was great and his offense even in scattered minutes has been superb.

I also like Dotson, I think Dotson will become a good two way player eventually.

Just saying, I hope Perry is the one making trades, but when it comes to drafting, the person we need to listen to and be the main influence in making the final is Gaines. Phil made many mistakes, but his smartest move was to listen to Gaines and draft Porzingis, Willy, Frank. If we don't have Phil, then no Gaines, and no Porzingis, Frank or Willy. Think about what Mills would have done, or what Perry would have had he been the final decision maker for the draft.

Hope Dolan or Mills have the smarts to assign the draft decisions to Gaines. "Scout" is not enough, unless his scouting is the one that you make the final call on.

AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/10/2017  6:51 AM
Is it June yet?
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nyknickzingis

11/10/2017  6:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/10/2017  7:00 AM
EnySpree wrote:Is it June yet?

No, but the guys you have in place now, have to accumulate the information now until June.
To keep the rebuild going in the right direction, drafting will be key.
I hope Gaines is still a big part of the drafting process.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/10/2017  9:02 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Is it June yet?

No, but the guys you have in place now, have to accumulate the information now until June.
To keep the rebuild going in the right direction, drafting will be key.
I hope Gaines is still a big part of the drafting process.

He is... you looking for a media article on it? Gaines job was revamped. Still a super scout. Everybody knows what he does. If a poster on a Knicks fansite knows, I think its safe to say Knicks manage knows... after all they did hire him and retained him.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/10/2017  9:08 AM
Gaines also recommended Kuz
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/10/2017  9:42 AM
Given his success rate I can’t imagine Perry would ignore Gaines, however he’s not the only good Scout out there. This team is gonna need all the help it can get going forward. They’re probably not going to be in the top 5 so scouting to find the Kyle Kuzma types later in the draft will be the goal.
KP4Life
Member: #6117
USA
11/10/2017  9:56 AM
He's underrated. He's basically changed our franchise with his drafting. This is the reason we might not need to tank. If anybody can find a steal in the mid first round it's Gaines. Who knows maybe miles bridges is better than doncic.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

11/10/2017  10:14 AM
If we don't retain Gaines (and, yes, I htink he should be promoted) it would be ****ing bush league. Gaines can eye talent. He should oversee our scouts and/or player development. This guy is good. I don't care that Perry or Mills didn't hire him. Don't question the blessings
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/10/2017  10:20 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:If we don't retain Gaines (and, yes, I htink he should be promoted) it would be ****ing bush league. Gaines can eye talent. He should oversee our scouts and/or player development. This guy is good. I don't care that Perry or Mills didn't hire him. Don't question the blessings

Gaines is still with the Knicks as a scout but his title changed. That might have been his decision.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/10/2017  10:21 AM
I'd suggest looking up some articles about Gaines and what he has been doing for the last 10 years. From what I recall he was with the Lakers, then stayed home with his kids and day traded, then phil lured him to be part of his team. Looked to me he was still based in LA but scouted. His title would indicate a lofty position and thus his lack of title a demotion but Im not sure he actually was part of the brain trust in Westchester.
And don't discount Kevin Wilson's contribution as euro scout.
Lets not inflate what he has done either. KP surged in his rankings leading up to the draft in what became a 4 player draft. Oka4 was a stud having lead his team to the NCAA chip.
Towns was the bonafide blue chip. What would Phil have done if we had the second pick? We don't know. In the aftermath anything we read about "Gaines was promoting him as top pick" is nice fluff and what you say to defend your pick. It worked out. Willy was a nice bonus but seems like he did well on a shytty team last year. This year he can't beat KOQ for minutes. That's ok, knicks will sort it out.
Back to Gaines, his wife is a good earner from what I read and what we don't know is what is his ambitions? Seems to me if he was all that, he'd be on the lakers or Clippers as its close to home. This was about him and Phil. The relationship and trust made it special and might not be replicated with others.
So lets not slam the knicks for dropping the ball. This is a unique guy in a unique situation and my take is knicks honor the contract and he has agreed to scout. The rest of it is conjecture.
Please take time to research and perhaps come up with your take! Its a good subject!
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/10/2017  10:27 AM
As someone who was posting about Phil giving Gaines a promotion, well before he actually did it, I hope Gaines isnt lured away by a better offer, with more responsibility. Scouting was the one dept, more than any other, which pulled its own weight.

Pretty sure Perry would let Gaines leave for greener pastures if it was a step up from his current responsibilities. Hope that doesnt happen for a while. Maybe Gaines likes his new role.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

11/10/2017  10:29 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:If we don't retain Gaines (and, yes, I htink he should be promoted) it would be ****ing bush league. Gaines can eye talent. He should oversee our scouts and/or player development. This guy is good. I don't care that Perry or Mills didn't hire him. Don't question the blessings

Gaines is still with the Knicks as a scout but his title changed. That might have been his decision.

This is the type of situation where Jimmy D's dad's money comes in handy. Gaines is the best thing that happened to the organization under PJax. I want to hear that the organization is bending over backwards to let him know that he is wanted here and valued

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
reub
Member: #6227

11/10/2017  11:43 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:As good as Perry did with the Melo trade. Major props to him. I don't think that we ever going to trade Melo to Houston for Anderson. However a trade was done very slowly and with good terms with Melo. Like you would never have had if not for Perry. So we need a guy like Perry in as GM.

I just wonder what Gaines's role is moving forward. A scout is not enough in my opinion.

Almost all the draft picks he's suggested to Phil, that we end up making have turned out to be gold.

Willy's rookie season was great and his offense even in scattered minutes has been superb.

I also like Dotson, I think Dotson will become a good two way player eventually.

Just saying, I hope Perry is the one making trades, but when it comes to drafting, the person we need to listen to and be the main influence in making the final is Gaines. Phil made many mistakes, but his smartest move was to listen to Gaines and draft Porzingis, Willy, Frank. If we don't have Phil, then no Gaines, and no Porzingis, Frank or Willy. Think about what Mills would have done, or what Perry would have had he been the final decision maker for the draft.

Hope Dolan or Mills have the smarts to assign the draft decisions to Gaines. "Scout" is not enough, unless his scouting is the one that you make the final call on.

How do you know that he didn't suggest other picks that Phil rightfully discarded? You can't have it both ways. Phil hired Gaines and Phil selected KP, Willy, Frank and Dotson. Be fair.

nyknickzingis

11/10/2017  12:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/10/2017  12:06 PM
reub wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:As good as Perry did with the Melo trade. Major props to him. I don't think that we ever going to trade Melo to Houston for Anderson. However a trade was done very slowly and with good terms with Melo. Like you would never have had if not for Perry. So we need a guy like Perry in as GM.

How do you know that he didn't suggest other picks that Phil rightfully discarded? You can't have it both ways. Phil hired Gaines and Phil selected KP, Willy, Frank and Dotson. Be fair.

Take away KP, Willy and Frank this teams longterm potential is trash.
If you don't draft well with your top choices you are screwed.

We are where we are now because we drafted well.

No GM or executive are always right on the draft.
But when you have someone like Gaines on the payroll he is a big time asset and you better be taking his word over other scouts.

Before Gaines was hired by Phil we drafted pretty poorly under Mills. I just hope Mills learned his lesson and follows the same path Phil and Gaines were on.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/10/2017  12:26 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
reub wrote:

But when you have someone like Gaines on the payroll he is a big time asset and you better be taking his word over other scouts.

Before Gaines was hired by Phil we drafted pretty poorly under Mills. I just hope Mills learned his lesson and follows the same path Phil and Gaines were on.

Mills didn't run a draft. Phil was hired before the draft, made the Tyson trade and drafted Early, Thanasis and Lou.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/10/2017  1:29 PM
http://nypost.com/2017/05/27/meet-phil-jacksons-knicks-draft-guru-a-respected-odd-duck/

But in 2001, Gaines elected to step away from his job with the Bulls and move out to Southern California, where he and his wife, a deputy district attorney for Los Angeles County, raised their two children. He began blogging—he titled his website "A Scout's Perspective"—and put the master's degree in business he'd earned from the University of North Carolina to use by trading stocks. He also stayed in touch with Jackson, who in 1999 was hired to be the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. Jackson often invited Gaines to attend Lakers practices.

Why Gaines never took an official position with Jackson's L.A. teams is unclear. Mitch Kupchak, the Lakers' general manager at the time, says he can't recall whether Jackson (who through the Knicks declined to comment on this story and instead provided Bleacher Report with a statement he had previously issued to the New York Post) ever requested the organization hire Gaines, or whether there was ever an opening for him to fill. Instead, the two had to wait 15 years, and for Jackson to take a different job 3,000 miles away, to professionally reunite.

Dude is like the Rondo of scouting?

"

Phil told us that Clarence was one of his consultants, that he would be going around asking questions," the staffer says. "And Clarence is used to being the smartest man in the room, which is why Phil likes him, and intellectually, he's really smart. But the problem is early on he became Phil's eyes and ears, and it made people paranoid."

One problem, according to the staffer, and echoed by others from the Knicks, is Gaines' people skills, or lack thereof. Even opposing scouts who respect his ability to mine talent admit Gaines' struggles cultivating relationships with coworkers and colleagues.

"He's a strange bird," adds one Western Conference scout.

"He's not really well liked by people around MSG," says another former Knicks employee.

None of the people interviewed for this story questioned Gaines' abilities as a scout. And Gaines, it seems, is willing to challenge his boss. Just one month before the Knicks hired Jackson, Gaines tweeted a mathematical breakdown of why players are better off hoisting three-pointers, a shot Jackson has acknowledged he's not a fan of, as opposed to mid-range jumpers.

rest of article....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716975-a-strange-bird-only-one-knicks-exec-can-talk-sense-into-phil-jackson

https://elitesportsny.com/2017/08/10/clarence-gaines-jr-new-york-knicks/

So what have we learned? Gaines is here, knicks might have put him in a better situation FOR HIM and the team.
The dude is a lone wolf. And we are better for it.

Kevin Wilson:

https://fansided.com/2016/11/23/new-york-knicks-european-connection/

Knicks front office: http://www.nba.com/knicks/front-office/

From Knicks website:

Native of Winston-Salem, NC...Earned bachelor’s degree in business administration from the College of William and Mary in 1980 and master’s degree in business from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill...Second-team Academic All-American in 1979 as a football star at William and Mary...Son of the late, legendary Hall of Fame coach Clarence “Bighouse” Gaines, who mentored Knicks Legend Earl Monroe at Winston-Salem State...Author of personal blog “A Scout’s Perspective”...Heavily involved in coaching youth sports in Southern California, which he calls, “the most impactful thing in my life.”...Additional career as a stock trader involved in personal investment for the last three decades...Clarence Jr. and his wife Cheryl, a Los Angeles County deputy district attorney, live in Eagle Rock, CA, and are proud parents of daughter Olivia (19) and son Garrett (14).

Ok, I did the heavy lifting since y'all ignore my shyt. I can't tell you how long Gaines contract is. Seems like he is valued by knicks.

nyknickzingis

11/10/2017  6:13 PM
Thanks Nalod (Thanks for coming back too, now it seems we get a saner version as well lol) for that post.
Hopefully Knicks keep drafting well.
Because as good as Kanter, O'Quinn, Thomas have played, these guys will not likley be here a few years from now. The draft picks are critical to longterm success.
KEEPCAMBYNY
Member: #86
USA
11/11/2017  1:30 AM
Nalod wrote:http://nypost.com/2017/05/27/meet-phil-jacksons-knicks-draft-guru-a-respected-odd-duck/

But in 2001, Gaines elected to step away from his job with the Bulls and move out to Southern California, where he and his wife, a deputy district attorney for Los Angeles County, raised their two children. He began blogging—he titled his website "A Scout's Perspective"—and put the master's degree in business he'd earned from the University of North Carolina to use by trading stocks. He also stayed in touch with Jackson, who in 1999 was hired to be the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. Jackson often invited Gaines to attend Lakers practices.

Why Gaines never took an official position with Jackson's L.A. teams is unclear. Mitch Kupchak, the Lakers' general manager at the time, says he can't recall whether Jackson (who through the Knicks declined to comment on this story and instead provided Bleacher Report with a statement he had previously issued to the New York Post) ever requested the organization hire Gaines, or whether there was ever an opening for him to fill. Instead, the two had to wait 15 years, and for Jackson to take a different job 3,000 miles away, to professionally reunite.

Dude is like the Rondo of scouting?

"

Phil told us that Clarence was one of his consultants, that he would be going around asking questions," the staffer says. "And Clarence is used to being the smartest man in the room, which is why Phil likes him, and intellectually, he's really smart. But the problem is early on he became Phil's eyes and ears, and it made people paranoid."

One problem, according to the staffer, and echoed by others from the Knicks, is Gaines' people skills, or lack thereof. Even opposing scouts who respect his ability to mine talent admit Gaines' struggles cultivating relationships with coworkers and colleagues.

"He's a strange bird," adds one Western Conference scout.

"He's not really well liked by people around MSG," says another former Knicks employee.

None of the people interviewed for this story questioned Gaines' abilities as a scout. And Gaines, it seems, is willing to challenge his boss. Just one month before the Knicks hired Jackson, Gaines tweeted a mathematical breakdown of why players are better off hoisting three-pointers, a shot Jackson has acknowledged he's not a fan of, as opposed to mid-range jumpers.

rest of article....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716975-a-strange-bird-only-one-knicks-exec-can-talk-sense-into-phil-jackson

https://elitesportsny.com/2017/08/10/clarence-gaines-jr-new-york-knicks/

So what have we learned? Gaines is here, knicks might have put him in a better situation FOR HIM and the team.
The dude is a lone wolf. And we are better for it.

Kevin Wilson:

https://fansided.com/2016/11/23/new-york-knicks-european-connection/

Knicks front office: http://www.nba.com/knicks/front-office/

From Knicks website:

Native of Winston-Salem, NC...Earned bachelor’s degree in business administration from the College of William and Mary in 1980 and master’s degree in business from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill...Second-team Academic All-American in 1979 as a football star at William and Mary...Son of the late, legendary Hall of Fame coach Clarence “Bighouse” Gaines, who mentored Knicks Legend Earl Monroe at Winston-Salem State...Author of personal blog “A Scout’s Perspective”...Heavily involved in coaching youth sports in Southern California, which he calls, “the most impactful thing in my life.”...Additional career as a stock trader involved in personal investment for the last three decades...Clarence Jr. and his wife Cheryl, a Los Angeles County deputy district attorney, live in Eagle Rock, CA, and are proud parents of daughter Olivia (19) and son Garrett (14).

Ok, I did the heavy lifting since y'all ignore my shyt. I can't tell you how long Gaines contract is. Seems like he is valued by knicks.

I think Gaines may have Aspergers syndrome. From what I have read about him and know of his personality it seems in line with the traits of the condition.

I bleed orange and blue for life.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/11/2017  8:40 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:
reub wrote:

Take away Greak Freak and Middleton the bucks future is trash; who is their scout? KP is the main prize but he was sloted to be picked 4-7...Willy cant get off the bench and at this point Frank looks like a good role player....Gaines is good but can be replaced...

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/11/2017  9:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/11/2017  9:14 AM
Uptown wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
reub wrote:

Take away Greak Freak and Middleton the bucks future is trash; who is their scout? KP is the main prize but he was sloted to be picked 4-7...Willy cant get off the bench and at this point Frank looks like a good role player....Gaines is good but can be replaced...

Willy might not fit here, but he definitely has value as a part of the All-Rookie first team. Same goes for Kuz, who had a good rookie season as well. Frank might just be a 6th man, too early to say IMO. Dont see Perry trading Frank. If he were, Frank would have trade value based on what we've seen so far. Gaines is giving us more options with his drafting than we've had in years. He's adding value.

Gaines supposedly ruffled some feathers when he got to the Knicks. If you came into a front office with a lot of yes men, who have done mostly nothing for this franchise, Im sure it wouldnt be hard to hit a sore spot with them.

In the end Gaines has done more for this franchise than those execs from previous regimes who mostly collected a paycheck. Judging by the way that Perry is cleaning house, he wasn't too impressed with them either.

Do Porzingis, Frank, Willy and what we're doing make a case for Gaines?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy