[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Nice McD break down
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/9/2017  12:55 PM
https://dailyknicks.com/2017/11/09/new-york-knicks-doug-mcdermott-proving-long-term-value/

Really worth the read. Breaks down how well he's been playing on offense and moving without the ball. Its a FA year more like normal with only a couple teams having big cap space. Doug is looking like a MLE type FA which strikes me as good value.

Give the article a look... some very nice vids as well

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
11/9/2017  1:41 PM
Very nice article. I always like reading Maxwell Ogden!

Thus far, McDermott is averaging 8.7 points per game on a slash line of .544/.469/.875. The 8.7 points may not jump off the page, but they’ve generally come in a timely manner, and translate to a mark of 14.5 points per 36 minutes.

I really like the way McD has been playing. His effort level has been consistent and I think he still has upside to his game. He fits perfectly into the Team Concept.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/9/2017  1:50 PM
nixluva wrote:Very nice article. I always like reading Maxwell Ogden!

Thus far, McDermott is averaging 8.7 points per game on a slash line of .544/.469/.875. The 8.7 points may not jump off the page, but they’ve generally come in a timely manner, and translate to a mark of 14.5 points per 36 minutes.

I really like the way McD has been playing. His effort level has been consistent and I think he still has upside to his game. He fits perfectly into the Team Concept.

He has to continue to work on his body, but the work ethic is there. I'd love to have him back at a good price. We might have to consider trading him if he shows more improvement. Our cap situation isn't solid right now.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/9/2017  2:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/9/2017  2:26 PM
He looks great. If he continues to improve, I see him becoming an excellent 6th man or starting SF. We need to surround KP with shooters and ball movers. McDermott fits in well.
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

11/9/2017  2:53 PM
Knicks made a great Melo trade when it comes to pieces around KP.
fishmike
USA
11/9/2017  3:05 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Knicks made a great Melo trade when it comes to pieces around KP.

maybe. Might be short term, but at the very worst we got quality stop gap guys who does what the coach wants and are productive. Its showing up in the win column.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/9/2017  3:26 PM
fishmike wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Knicks made a great Melo trade when it comes to pieces around KP.

maybe. Might be short term, but at the very worst we got quality stop gap guys who does what the coach wants and are productive. Its showing up in the win column.

Kanter and McDermott are solid enough to be part of this moving forward. Doesn’t mean we can’t continue to upgrade as well but I like the fit.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/9/2017  4:11 PM
I am a big Kuz fan but McDermott has me thinking he should be starting. Beasley is the odd man out.
Knixkik
USA
11/9/2017  4:28 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Kanter and McDermott are solid enough to be part of this moving forward. Doesn’t mean we can’t continue to upgrade as well but I like the fit.

Yes we should always look for obvious upgrades, but both Kanter and McDermott clearly belong in the rotation of a good team. Getting 2 rotation players aged 25 and a high 2nd round pick for Melo has turned out to be a pretty good haul.

fishmike
USA
11/9/2017  4:39 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:

They are decent players. Both have a defined skill set which gives the coach options. Both are role players. They will look as good as the stars around them. I wouldnt call Kanter or McD impact players. Thats not a knock. First you acquire some impact talent. Then you balance a roster so you can see how that talent works and how good it really is.

Mills and co did a better job than advertised, because early on we are getting a chance to see just how impactful KP's talent can be. In order to see that you need enough good role players (quality roster) to see how good that player is and how far he or they can take you. I give Mills credit because after just 10 games we got a taste of that. Between defensive effort, size and depth we are off to a good start and we have the people around KP to hold up his great performances with wins. I mean obviously KP is the motor here but we dont win without defense from Frank, Lance and KOQ. We dont do it without some clutch shooting from Tim or without Enes gobbling up boards and making putbacks. All these nice things these guy do stick because of KP and KP's #s = wins because these guys. This is called a star player elevating a cast around him. 10 games doesnt mean a ton but we are clearly trending in a better direction.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/9/2017  5:58 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I agree with Fish, they fit for now. Long term for is TBD

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
11/9/2017  6:13 PM
I’d re-sign him for an MLe like deal.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/9/2017  6:32 PM
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:

They are decent players. Both have a defined skill set which gives the coach options. Both are role players. They will look as good as the stars around them. I wouldnt call Kanter or McD impact players. Thats not a knock. First you acquire some impact talent. Then you balance a roster so you can see how that talent works and how good it really is.

Mills and co did a better job than advertised, because early on we are getting a chance to see just how impactful KP's talent can be. In order to see that you need enough good role players (quality roster) to see how good that player is and how far he or they can take you. I give Mills credit because after just 10 games we got a taste of that. Between defensive effort, size and depth we are off to a good start and we have the people around KP to hold up his great performances with wins. I mean obviously KP is the motor here but we dont win without defense from Frank, Lance and KOQ. We dont do it without some clutch shooting from Tim or without Enes gobbling up boards and making putbacks. All these nice things these guy do stick because of KP and KP's #s = wins because these guys. This is called a star player elevating a cast around him. 10 games doesnt mean a ton but we are clearly trending in a better direction.

I thought of Kanter as a salary filler at the time to make the trade work. But Kanter compliments KP like Rolo did. Maybe Mills knew that the Knicks needed a big in that mold to optimize KP. Mills obviously wanted Hardaway back and went out and got him.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
fishmike
USA
11/9/2017  7:20 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:I’d re-sign him for an MLe like deal.

this... spot starter. Nice bench player. Will look great for 25mpg mostly vs. 2nd units and with starters for certain matchups especially when we need shooters. He's a great player for a coach to have, especially if he continues this work on his game, body and defense.
meloshouldgo

11/9/2017  7:25 PM
His off the ball movement is already at the Chandler Parsons level, if he can keep his commitment to defense, I think he is smart enough to be a stud at some point.
Knixkik
USA
11/9/2017  7:50 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:His off the ball movement is already at the Chandler Parsons level, if he can keep his commitment to defense, I think he is smart enough to be a stud at some point.

We can only hope we lock him up on a lower contract and he has a later career surge like jj redick did where it just takes a little longer to transition from college superstar to elite nba role player.

meloshouldgo

11/9/2017  7:53 PM
Knixkik wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:His off the ball movement is already at the Chandler Parsons level, if he can keep his commitment to defense, I think he is smart enough to be a stud at some point.

We can only hope we lock him up on a lower contract and he has a later career surge like jj redick did where it just takes a little longer to transition from college superstar to elite nba role player.

There's risk both ways - you lock him up early and he turns out to be a great bench player at most. Or you wait too long and he busts out and leaves. It's a good problem to have.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

11/9/2017  8:47 PM
Thanks for posting. Like the kid. His 3pt. shooting consistency alone deserves a MLE. Add his improved defense and energy and he definately deserves it. Great pick up and one of the big reasons our 2nd unit has been able to keep us in the game and Also get us back in the games we have been down.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

11/9/2017  9:10 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Thanks for posting. Like the kid. His 3pt. shooting consistency alone deserves a MLE. Add his improved defense and energy and he definately deserves it. Great pick up and one of the big reasons our 2nd unit has been able to keep us in the game and Also get us back in the games we have been down.

the problem is keeping these guys ends any chance at a star SF. Thats why picking in the top 10 this year was so important

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Knixkik
USA
11/9/2017  10:04 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Thanks for posting. Like the kid. His 3pt. shooting consistency alone deserves a MLE. Add his improved defense and energy and he definately deserves it. Great pick up and one of the big reasons our 2nd unit has been able to keep us in the game and Also get us back in the games we have been down.

the problem is keeping these guys ends any chance at a star SF. Thats why picking in the top 10 this year was so important

The 2 best SFs in the league besides LeBron and KD were drafted outside of the lottery. You can get talent anywhere in the draft.

Nice McD break down

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy