[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How about this strategic move with Kanter
Author Thread
SkyWalker
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #814
11/6/2017  1:42 PM
This is definitely tricky to figure out. You have to believe the Knicks are constantly talking to teams about every center they have to see what might give them the best return. At this point right now I can't see them trading Kanter. If the Knicks start going on a downward spiral slide then I can see them looking to perhaps trade him. Definitely not in the middle of the run they are currently making.

KOQ is moveable but I would only move him if you got a very solid return like a 1st round pick perhaps? Also depends on whether the knicks think they can or want to resign him in the offseason? If they think it's crazy to pay him the $$$ he can get on the open market when they already have 3-4 other centers probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

Being that Kanter is only 25 years old, not sure why you would ever want to trade him unless you are blown away? Unless you are convinced Kanter will opt out and be able to command $25mm per year.The question then is if he is worth it?

That brings us to Willy. 1st off, he is KP's boy so any potential trade of Willy needs to be handled very carefully. We can't afford to really piss KP off too much before he signs a long term extension. Perhaps say something to KP that they aren't looking to shop Willy at all but if they were to get a trade that they really felt was too hard to pass up then would KP be ok with it? I would think that KP would hate to see Willy traded but if he agreed that the trade really made a ton of sense for the knicks and allows for his buddy to shine on a new team then he might understand and be ok with it?

Kenny SkyWalker
AUTOADVERT
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

11/6/2017  1:44 PM
SkyWalker wrote:This is definitely tricky to figure out. You have to believe the Knicks are constantly talking to teams about every center they have to see what might give them the best return. At this point right now I can't see them trading Kanter. If the Knicks start going on a downward spiral slide then I can see them looking to perhaps trade him. Definitely not in the middle of the run they are currently making.

KOQ is moveable but I would only move him if you got a very solid return like a 1st round pick perhaps? Also depends on whether the knicks think they can or want to resign him in the offseason? If they think it's crazy to pay him the $$$ he can get on the open market when they already have 3-4 other centers probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

Being that Kanter is only 25 years old, not sure why you would ever want to trade him unless you are blown away? Unless you are convinced Kanter will opt out and be able to command $25mm per year.The question then is if he is worth it?

That brings us to Willy. 1st off, he is KP's boy so any potential trade of Willy needs to be handled very carefully. We can't afford to really piss KP off too much before he signs a long term extension. Perhaps say something to KP that they aren't looking to shop Willy at all but if they were to get a trade that they really felt was too hard to pass up then would KP be ok with it? I would think that KP would hate to see Willy traded but if he agreed that the trade really made a ton of sense for the knicks and allows for his buddy to shine on a new team then he might understand and be ok with it?

KOQ is definetly gonna get a decent size offer and as much as i like him it would be insane to overpay him when we have a good young talent on a rookie contract. Smart thing is to get something for him
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/6/2017  1:48 PM
I'm going to add this here since I don't wanna start a new thread.

But imagine adding Beverly to this group. He is a UFA this coming offseason. Beverly and Covington this offseason would make our defense ridiculous.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

11/6/2017  2:07 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Selling high would probably be a great long-term decision. Regarding trading Kanter for Picks: Are you willing to miss the playoffs this year to build a better future? Would Dolan be? I'm really enjoying this team and a part of me would hate to lose what we have even if it does make sense long-term.

Yup...and management would lose the team, and many fans, if you do this, and remember, Kanter was the feature piece in the Melo trade- hard to see Perry pushing him . I'm the first to say Kanter isn't a complete player and that I'd prefer to see Willy starting at the 5 in a couple of years, but he has played tough ball, even if he is a consistent defender.

If things turn bad during the mid-season, but Kanter is playing well, maybe you consider something like this, but I'd like to see how things play out with our present squad. I would consider KOQ as trade bait, but the return would have to be a good one. We are in a position to deal from strength and I would want any trade at this point to be one which reflects this.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
11/6/2017  2:09 PM
I think there may be merit in a transaction as this squad appears hungry for playoff slot. It kills our lottery plans. So where do we find our 3? QUINN AND Lee won’t fetch a legit 3 as we need a stud and a young one. If Noah and Wily can protect the hole at 5, then Kanter (currently at 46 per ESPN (Melo at 43)) could be tendered along our first to Cleveland for Nets pick. That could result in M Porter. Porter Frank Wily and Frank would reek havoc for years.
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

11/6/2017  2:10 PM
I’d rather just strech Noah and keep kanter and O’quinn long term, its the easiest and best move for the team going forward. Why break up a top of the line front court, Willy is still a few years away no need to move him either.

The problem is Noah lets just eliminate the problem, not get rid of the solution

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/6/2017  2:58 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:I'm going to add this here since I don't wanna start a new thread.

But imagine adding Beverly to this group. He is a UFA this coming offseason. Beverly and Covington this offseason would make our defense ridiculous.

Kanter has 18mm of the cap next year.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york_knicks/

IF I got what I wanted out of it--I mean a trade that equaled something like I mentioned

Kanter to Monroe for the bucks 1st(top 10 protected) and 2nd rd picks --move the 2ne rounder and Kuz to Dallas for Seth Curry(ending)

I will have an additional 20mm in cap for a free agent 2 first rd picks and 1 high 2nd the bird rights to Curry--yet we still have Noah Willy and KOQ at C-we give up a little and have a diversified asset group going into a much more important free agency.

I like Kanter--I dont believe he is that much more material than the combination of Willy KOQ and Noah. Noah was playing well in pre season.

RIP Crushalot😞
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

11/6/2017  4:40 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:I'm going to add this here since I don't wanna start a new thread.

IF I got what I wanted out of it--I mean a trade that equaled something like I mentioned

Kanter to Monroe for the bucks 1st(top 10 protected) and 2nd rd picks --move the 2ne rounder and Kuz to Dallas for Seth Curry(ending)

I will have an additional 20mm in cap for a free agent 2 first rd picks and 1 high 2nd the bird rights to Curry--yet we still have Noah Willy and KOQ at C-we give up a little and have a diversified asset group going into a much more important free agency.

I like Kanter--I dont believe he is that much more material than the combination of Willy KOQ and Noah. Noah was playing well in pre season.

You do realize NOAH has Zero value right and isn’t a good player anymore. so if we move on from kanter we have a huge glaring hole at center. Kanter is years ahead of Willy, and who would you rather have a kanter, oquinn and Willy.

Willy and NOAH yikes that’s a weak center rotation one of the worst in the NBA

If anything we need to strech Noah and maybe look to upgrade the sf spot through moving guys like kuz and only oquinn if its a serious upgrade.

Stretching Noah will be like the melo trade, good for the teams now and longterm future

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
11/6/2017  4:42 PM
I think there is risk in moving Kanter as it works with KP yet I agree wholeheartedly that we can’t settle for just making the playoffs. Picks will allow us to challenge Boston & Phili for the conf in 2 years if we do it right and if the price is Kanter, so be it.
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/6/2017  4:55 PM
Paris907 wrote:I think there is risk in moving Kanter as it works with KP yet I agree wholeheartedly that we can’t settle for just making the playoffs. Picks will allow us to challenge Boston & Phili for the conf in 2 years if we do it right and if the price is Kanter, so be it.

Nobody is making major trades in November. As they should, teams take months to evaluate what they really have on hand.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/6/2017  4:57 PM
Paris907 wrote:I think there is risk in moving Kanter as it works with KP yet I agree wholeheartedly that we can’t settle for just making the playoffs. Picks will allow us to challenge Boston & Phili for the conf in 2 years if we do it right and if the price is Kanter, so be it.

All for trading for picks, not for players who are putting up all star numbers, when we have a player like Willy who cant crack the rotation.

Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

11/6/2017  5:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/6/2017  5:20 PM
nyk4ever wrote:id much rather trade koq and hold onto kanter. with the way the nba game is played now, having a guy like kanter is a great way to change the flow of the game on the court. also having him able to clean up any boards down low completely opens up the game for porzingis to score mid-range, which he obviously is excelling at. kanter can be here a long time and grow with this rebuild, id rather just hold him.

Agreed. Someone would have to blow me out of the water to trade Kanter. I want no part of Noah at all. He's young and way too skilled. I think he's worth signing long term.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/6/2017  6:25 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Right now, Kanter is on the untouchable list. That list consists of

1. KP
2. Frank
3. Kanter
4. Willy
5. Dotson

Gotta put Jack on that, he has been solid.
How far fetched would it be to start Kanter, Willy and KP together? We don't have a starting caliber SF anyway, what would we lose?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/6/2017  6:29 PM
Finestrg wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:id much rather trade koq and hold onto kanter. with the way the nba game is played now, having a guy like kanter is a great way to change the flow of the game on the court. also having him able to clean up any boards down low completely opens up the game for porzingis to score mid-range, which he obviously is excelling at. kanter can be here a long time and grow with this rebuild, id rather just hold him.

Agreed. Someone would have to blow me out of the water to trade Kanter. I want no part of Noah at all. He's young and way too skilled. I think he's worth signing long term.

First lets see how long he can keep this up

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
doomed
Member: #1078
USA
11/6/2017  7:47 PM
Noah is terrible until proven otherwise. That is if he even plays more than ten games in a row, which is asking a lot based on the last three years.

Noah should not factor in to any plans whatsoever.

Welpee
Member: #6239

11/6/2017  7:51 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Right now, Kanter is on the untouchable list. That list consists of

1. KP
2. Frank
3. Kanter
4. Willy
5. Dotson

How far fetched would it be to start Kanter, Willy and KP together? We don't have a starting caliber SF anyway, what would we lose?

Games.
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

11/6/2017  9:06 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

Not messing chemistry right now...I think we would have learned from moving Lopez...Kanter is as physical as Lopez..at least on the offensive side of the ball....keep Kanter and move KO....
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

11/6/2017  9:07 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:

1. KP
2. Frank
3. Kanter
4. Willy
5. Dotson

Agreed Jacks ability and leadership ...

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/6/2017  9:34 PM
Some people who suggest trading Kanter i swear don't want the Knicks to be a good team. Why ruin something that is working? I just don't get it.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/6/2017  9:38 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

You have a Seth Curry fetish.

Why in the hell would the Knicks waste a 2nd round pick on a SG when they've already got 3?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
How about this strategic move with Kanter

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy