Olympic nightmare should wake up Stern By Chad Ford ESPN Insider
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/31/2004  3:44 PM
Posted by s3231:

Yep basketball was invented in Massachusetts by Dr. James Naismith who was a gym teacher at the time and was trying to invent a sport that could keep his students indoors during the winter. He got a couple of peach baskets and before you know it the game of basketball had been invented.
Basketball was invented in Massachusetts by a Democrat named John Kerry
AUTOADVERT
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
8/31/2004  3:53 PM
Posted by flyingvee:

I don't get how the international rules have been made to negate the US?? Those are the same rules they have used all along and even in 1992 and 94 and 96 when we had no probelms with them. I just know that even a present day first team All-star squad would lose to the 94 and 96 teams big time. The talent level has gone down big time.

Well... the talent level dropping is only part of the problem. International basketball has made major strides in the past 8 years.

They learned our game, broke it down to its fundamentals, then basically built basketball factories producing the players (and stars) of the future. However, this just applies to European basketball--- how did the Argentinians get so gosh-darned good?!?!

In short, the Europeans are playing basketball (our game) with the team spirit that basketball was built upon. They play with fundamentals, it's that simple--- it's the game that they learned from us in the early-mid 90s.

The style of play in the NBA has changed over the past decade. Maybe you can blame this partially on expansion teams diluting the talent, blame it player egos, blame it on the win-now mentalities of team owners. Coach attrition rates have been remarkably high in recent years--- Nearly every eastern conference team began the season with a new coach or fired this coach last season. That's something. With so much change, it's hard to teach and build. And with free agent rules and the salary cap, it's tough to keep the same core of players together for any period of time.

As a result, you see teams put together with one trick ponies, guys who have incomplete skill sets who haven't been able to further develop their deficiencies.

Yeah, in 2008 we might win gold again, but you can definitely expect our international opponents to step up their level of play too.

Which leads to a question--- Are we really more talented than the rest of the world?

There's a fine line between "talent" and refined skill. Talent implies innate potential-- do american players somehow have the ability to understand/react to the game better? Is there a reason why we should have more sheer athleticism than the international players?
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
8/31/2004  3:57 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by s3231:

Yep basketball was invented in Massachusetts by Dr. James Naismith who was a gym teacher at the time and was trying to invent a sport that could keep his students indoors during the winter. He got a couple of peach baskets and before you know it the game of basketball had been invented.

Actually I'm surprised Al Gore hasn't taken credit for inventing bball, because we all know that he invented the internet
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
8/31/2004  4:05 PM
To be honest, I like a little bit of both games. I like how Euro bigs can pass, shoot and dribble. Divac, Sabonis and Dirk come to mind immediately. Those guys make/made their teams great wherever they went.

From watching the few international games I saw during the Olympics I saw a pretty substantial amount of big men with well rounded skills. I like that. I wouldn't mind seeing Sweetney develop an outside shot, some nice passing skills and good handle to compliment his power down low, rebounding and defense. How could that be bad? And how does that only apply to one style of play? That's just one example of what I'd like to see happen.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
8/31/2004  4:09 PM
Posted by Redtowel:

No, it is not only shooting threes. Just watch a Euroleague game and you will find he same diversity you have in NBA. They shoot all the Threes becauso Team USA was unable to defend it.

I watch Euroleague games, the Olympics wasn't the first time I saw international teams play. I didn't mean it to sound like all Europeans just put up 3's the whole game. But a lot of the players there would be nothing if their shot wasn't good. Plus, Europeans are still not at the same level as we are defensively. We struggled because we had no perimiter defense (I'm not blaming Marbury or Iverson because some of our big guys should've stepped up to contest the shots when our guards got caught in screens) and we had no great shooters there though most of our players were pretty good shooters during the NBA season. Seriously, if we had shut out the European shooters they would've had no chance at beating us because most of the teams had no inside game at all. Take a look at Italy, every guy on their team could shoot 3's, that along with great teamwork got them to the finals. Argentina contained them in the Finals and was able to beat them.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/31/2004  8:20 PM
Posted by s3231:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by s3231:

Actually I'm surprised Al Gore hasn't taken credit for inventing bball, because we all know that he invented the internet

LOL! As soon as I posted that message, I had a feeling someone was going to talk about Gore creating the internet!
Olympic nightmare should wake up Stern By Chad Ford ESPN Insider

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy